Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drug ban for Saints player

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    U would be surprised at how many sports stars do it. When I did my sports science course we spoke to a drugs tester who told us a few stories about being made to "lose" samples from football/rugby players.
    Not in the slightest mate. Regardless if you agree with doping policy in RL at least it is taken seriously. If you consider the things that the tabloid newspapers catch players from other sports doing it is hard to believe than none of them take recreational drugs.

As everyone has given there opinion I might as well give mine. I do not see why recreational drugs results in automatic bans. Surely breaking a bus driver jaw or glassing you girlfriend is worse that taking some coke. Yet committing GBH does not have a mandatory ban in any sport. People who take the zero tolerance view to recreational drugs are very out of touch with the world we live in. If you consider the impact things like Tobacco, Alcohol and Gambling have on our sociality it is truly astonishing the difference in attitude between these evils and recreational drugs.

In the end the guy knew the rules and he broke them. But if he was in any other profession his employers would probably recognise he has a problem and try to get him help rather than sack him and prevent him from getting any other work.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I do not see why recreational drugs results in automatic bans.
    Um, coz they're illegal?

In the end the guy knew the rules and he broke them. But if he was in any other profession his employers would probably recognise he has a problem and try to get him help rather than sack him and prevent him from getting any other work.
    I don't know of such a profession. Employers mostly fire people who break the law and/or cannot function at work due to substance abuse: whether drink or drugs. That sounds entirely reasonable to me, given that employers pay us to function at work (well, we try, we try).

Saw this on RLFans and it made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater
    So, it appears breaking the cap seemingly every season wasn't enough for this grubby 'lose 2 grand finals on the trot to the same team' club, their players are now yet again drugged up.

No suprises there.
    Fair enough it's not like their players have tested positive for drugs in the past few years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/a..._feature.shtml

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDi View Post
    Um, coz they're illegal?

I don't know of such a profession. Employers mostly fire people who break the law and/or cannot function at work due to substance abuse: whether drink or drugs. That sounds entirely reasonable to me, given that employers pay us to function at work (well, we try, we try).

Its called gross misconduct, it doesn't matter what profession you are you will lose your job.

(unless of course you are the chief exec of a bank, and you can do what the hell you want, including bankrupting the country, and get a bonus)

Learning All The Songs Knight Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Here's a gold star oh Mr. Moral one! lol
    i hate drug users Mr sarcastic! but i were my gold star with a smile lol:saint:
    Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not fully understand,
    into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly predict
    in such a fashion that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.

I AM DYSLEXIC SO I HAVE BAD SPELLING, thank you

Knight Shadow...now with fire fox spell check! thanks guys and ladies!

Any member who names (or hints at the name) of any player or club and alleges illegal activity of any sort, will receive an instant ban. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDi View Post
    Um, coz they're illegal?
    Sorry to bring you up on a technicality but it is not illegal to have traces of a recreational drug in your system. It is illegal to be in possession or to be under the influence i.e. be staggering in the street or be driving a car. But it is not illegal to have something in your blood.
    It is on the other hand illegal to commit GBH/Assault/Fraud/Breaking and Entering which are things that other players have been involved with in recent history. I am not saying that what has happen to Langtree is wrong, it is just very inconsistent to have such a draconian punishment set out for people who take recreational drugs and people who are convicted of a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoffy View Post
    Its called gross misconduct, it doesn't matter what profession you are you will lose your job.
    Glad I don't work at your place Yoffy if that is the view your employers take. From what i have seem most employers would not see substance abuse as gross misconduct. Usually they would only get involved only if it was affecting work performance and even then if the employee admitted to it then the employer would try and help them. Only if there was a relapse would your average employer discipline the employee. There are obvious exceptions with jobs that involve heavy machinery or driving a vehicle.

I agree with this as anyone who takes drugs regularly has a problem which as a society we all (individuals and companies) have a responsibility to help these people. Rather than stereotype and reject.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Sorry to bring you up on a technicality but it is not illegal to have traces of a recreational drug in your system. It is illegal to be in possession or to be under the influence i.e. be staggering in the street or be driving a car. But it is not illegal to have something in your blood.
    It is on the other hand illegal to commit GBH/Assault/Fraud/Breaking and Entering which are things that other players have been involved with in recent history. I am not saying that what has happen to Langtree is wrong, it is just very inconsistent to have such a draconian punishment set out for people who take recreational drugs and people who are convicted of a crime.
    Agreed.

It seems strange that the club/RFL set such a strong punishment for this, which i agree with, yet seem to ignore drink driving, glassing people and breaking and entering when punishing people.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Im sure they are left in no doubt as to what and what is not acceptable when they join the academy set up. Tough.