Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: The Sound of No Hands Clapping

Noooobie

Default The Sound of No Hands Clapping

Is the title of a book by Toby Young. It is the follow up to "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People." I think that one is about to come out a movie with Simon Pegg(?) in it.

Anyway, both books are autobiographical and tell the tale of an affable bloke continually making an arse of himself. In chapter 3: title, "The Best Man Lost." He has to give a speech at a fancy society wedding in America. Gordon Brown is one of the guests so I imagine it was a bit posh. He does the traditional Englishman's speech and it goes down like the proverbial fart in a spacesuit. The reason it is being mentioned on this board is that he describes his own effort thus.

"If I had an ounce of common sense I would have rewritten my speech the moment I set foot in the church. All my jokes were tailored to a British audience, yet it soon became apparent that only a handful of the 250 guests were from the home country. How would the Americans respond to a best man speech that sounded like it had been written by the Entertainment Committee of the St Helen's Rugby Club?"

As is mentioned throughout the book Toby Young is a publicity whore and is sent on a set of disastrous speaking engagements to promote his first book. He is certainly not shy about getting out there. Could someone pass this on to the publicity people a the club and have the "Entertainment Committee" contact him in mock outrage. They could have him up to Knowsley road for a speech. There is definitely a story and some mutual publicity in this somewhere.

And lastly, 'cos I can't remember this happening elsewhere, has there been other mentions of the mighty Saints in general fiction or autobiography?

Starting A Programme Collection Billy Bunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cincinnati Kid View Post
    And lastly, 'cos I can't remember this happening elsewhere, has there been other mentions of the mighty Saints in general fiction or autobiography?
    I read a book a while back, which I think was called "The Fabulous Fox Twins", about some lad growing up in Featherstone, and Saints get a mention. Pretty decent read IIRC.

Got A Season Ticket

Can I just inform the Cincinnate Kid that, in the field of general fiction, the mighty Saints get a lot of coverage in my four novels. The main character Alan Greenall is a Saints fan as are at least half a dozen other people (including Charlie the office comedian from Thatto Heath) in a series that covers the period between 1962 and 1992.
    Two further bits of useful information are that the first novel 'One Winter' is still being considered by the Pinewood Studios for turning into a film and the latest 'One Autumn' is now on sale in the club shop.

More details are found on www.geofflee.net

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

Can I just say that i recommend Geoff`s books I have all 4 of them and they are a great read , fantastic
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

Got A Season Ticket Jeff the dream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    Can I just inform the Cincinnate Kid that, in the field of general fiction, the mighty Saints get a lot of coverage in my four novels. The main character Alan Greenall is a Saints fan as are at least half a dozen other people (including Charlie the office comedian from Thatto Heath) in a series that covers the period between 1962 and 1992.
    Two further bits of useful information are that the first novel 'One Winter' is still being considered by the Pinewood Studios for turning into a film and the latest 'One Autumn' is now on sale in the club shop.

More details are found on www.geofflee.net

Do you own the George pub in St Helens by any chance?

Got A Season Ticket

My answer to The Inside Man is no, my response to Gruntfuttock is thanks a lot and one question to anybody else who may have read any of my novels is ""How well do they portray Rugby League and its supporters".