Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: '2 refs' for all NRL games this season

Default '2 refs' for all NRL games this season

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...624226,00.html

Also interesting to note that when a team rushes to form a scrum, they will now have to stay in formation

How long before we see it here I wonder?

Got A Season Ticket Dom McCormack's Avatar

One word.

Joke.

Imagine if the two refs are Ashley Clown and Ganson?

I totally agree with the scrum rule and have said it many times that if a team packs 6 platers in the scrum they should stay there, or once that six break up the clock starts again straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom McCormack View Post
    One word.

Joke.
    Yes.

How dare anybody try anything to try and improve the standard of officiating. Absolutely outrageous
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

It's worth a try, the standard of officiating from the Aussies in the World Cup was atrocious so they need to do something.

now were heading more towards nfl than wwf,

Got A Season Ticket Dom McCormack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ST_CONROY View Post
    Yes.

How dare anybody try anything to try and improve the standard of officiating. Absolutely outrageous
    Another word.

pillock.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...624226,00.html

Also interesting to note that when a team rushes to form a scrum, they will now have to stay in formation

How long before we see it here I wonder?
    I agree with the ruling on scrums but not the refs. One person has to be in overall control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom McCormack View Post
    Another word.

pillock.
    One Word.

Explain?

How is an attempt to improve the quality of officiating in your words a "joke"?

What is so bad about having a 2nd ref if it is for the benefit of the game speed etc?

Answer the question and don't resort to abuse. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Starting A Programme Collection gateaux's Avatar

In theory a good idea I think but who has ultimate control? If both refs can't agree on a decision what happens?

As someone else has said there should be one person in control of the game. Perhaps ensuring the linemen are awake and keep up with the game and notice infringements would help more than having 2 refs.

Got A Season Ticket saint mully's Avatar

It's an interesting one, will be fascinating see how it goes. If it goes well no doubt we'll follow suit (as usual) and international games too. But if it isn't then it will be dropped but at least it has been tried out.

I am a bit worried of the NRL becoming almost like a sport of its own and it's another wedge between SL and NRL. I would prefer all competitions to have the same rules systems always. As for the scrums I think most people will agree it should be adopted here too.
    [CENTER]
    100% League
    0% Union

ST HELENS - SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS... AND STILL THE MOST SUCCESSFUL CLUB OF THE SL ERA!

Learning All The Songs Knight Shadow's Avatar

this could go one of two ways, first is that it works and the second on pitch reff who is like a touch judge of the play the ball informs the reff of what went wrong or the second complete mess only one way to find out is to try it. any one who has NOT tried refing can spout off this and that but on a game it is rather hard to check play the ball onside at the same time!
    Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not fully understand,
    into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly predict
    in such a fashion that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.

I AM DYSLEXIC SO I HAVE BAD SPELLING, thank you

Knight Shadow...now with fire fox spell check! thanks guys and ladies!

Banned

I thought the idea was one referee ruled on infringements and the other just ruled on the 10 metre/offsides.

I quite like the idea to be honest. How often do fans/players/coaches think they have had a rough deal regarding the offside decisions.

This should ensure a more level playing field rather than just when the fans start screaming for offside. The referee will be able to keep his eyes on the ball/ruck etc and shouldn't miss as much as is the case.

I dont see how somebody can refer to this as a Joke

Got A Season Ticket Mr Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I thought the idea was one referee ruled on infringements and the other just ruled on the 10 metre/offsides.

I quite like the idea to be honest. How often do fans/players/coaches think they have had a rough deal regarding the offside decisions.

This should ensure a more level playing field rather than just when the fans start screaming for offside. The referee will be able to keep his eyes on the ball/ruck etc and shouldn't miss as much as is the case.

I dont see how somebody can refer to this as a Joke
    Wiganers do talk sense lol

Joking aside i agree
    O'KEEFE

Got A Season Ticket Perfect Pimbletts Pies's Avatar

Given that refs like to be right all the time, could we see two refs standing toe to toe arguing a call???

why not just give the touch judges a kick up the arse and get them to actually officiate instead of running round holding flags. how many times a season do we see a touch judge give a decision, i'd say less than 10.

get the touch judges to officiate offside that way the players cant creep up when the refs lookin the other way and frees the ref up to look at the actual play the ball or other infringements.

Its worth a try. Fans moan at paying money to watch matches dictated by poor refeering decisions, and now the NRL have come up with an idea at improving that decision making.

If it does not work, then it can be scrapped. If it does work and improves officiating, then we bring it into SL and watch a game that has fewer mistakes made by the officials.

Got A Season Ticket ChemicalBrother's Avatar

Ganson said that if they bring the rule into the SL then he's going to pack in"!

Got A Season Ticket

why cant the linesmen run the 10 yard rule they appear to be unemployed for large portions of the game , say what you like about union but the linesmen take a very active part and are not just there for show!

My only concern is with regard to officials cluttering up the pitch.

We already see in SL and NRL teams utilising the referees position as a blocker.
    If there are two officials on the pitch then we are liekly to see more of this.

The positioning of what i would call the defence ref/judge will also need to be clarified.
    If he is managing the defensive line he would presumably need to stand on one touchline in order to see the whole line. Presumably within the field of play.

Learning All The Songs Billinge Lump's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    My only concern is with regard to officials cluttering up the pitch.

We already see in SL and NRL teams utilising the referees position as a blocker.
    If there are two officials on the pitch then we are liekly to see more of this.

The positioning of what i would call the defence ref/judge will also need to be clarified.
    If he is managing the defensive line he would presumably need to stand on one touchline in order to see the whole line. Presumably within the field of play.
    Or maybe he'll just stand in front of the touch judge slightly off the pitch?
    I'm too pretty to be unlucky