Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which match would you like to see again?

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The 1989 Semi-Final v Widnes was a far better occasion, pre-match, during and afterwards and it was sheer bedlam when Les Quirk went in for the winner.

I don't know about a match I'd like to see again, as I've seen it dozens of times, but if I was asked to live through an eighty minutes on the terraces again, that would be it.

totally agree dave
    lol

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Are you thinking about Hull in 1991, 12-10 win on a Monday night? If so, I remember it well, what a try, jumping around on the Scaff hugging strangers because we'd won a game that probably kept us in 5th place or something, how times change!
    ron hoofe nearly died on the commentary
    fantastic
    lol

Banned

I've not been going St Helens all that long, about 5 years maybe. I only remember a few games, bar Finals. I remember when we played Salford with half a team a year or so ago, and Moore kicked a goal with no time remaining. I also remember Long kicking a goal against Warrington about two years ago in the dying seconds, from about forty yards. The feeling at the climax of games like that is why I prefer rugby to football.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

The 1989 Semi-Final v Widnes was a far better occasion, pre-match, during and afterwards and it was sheer bedlam when Les Quirk went in for the winner.

I don't know about a match I'd like to see again, as I've seen it dozens of times, but if I was asked to live through an eighty minutes on the terraces again, that would be it.
    You're probably right, but in 1989 I was 11 going on 12 and didn't stand on the Pop there or at Saints. By the time the 91 semi rolled round I was an experienced 13 going on 14 year old Scaff attender so went on the Pop at Wigan that day, hence my memories of that semi outweighing the other by virtue of where I was stood.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by peter soutos tash View Post
    wasnt it 27-26 and kelly shelford missed
    a last minute penalty
    lol
    thats the one,cheers

Got A Season Ticket

The 32-22 win at Central Park on Boxing Day 1989 certainly was a belter. The 8-point try referred to by an earlier poster was as a result of Graeme West going in with the knees on Veivers after a try.

Those were the days when Wigan speccies taunted Saints supporters unmercifully for being cack. That's what made that day so sweet.

Got A Season Ticket katerinababa's Avatar

85-0. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by katerinababa View Post
    85-0. Need I say more?
    Or even the 75-0

Starting A Programme Collection Legendary Supporter's Avatar

The one where we were trailing heavily on the frozen pitch was in January 1991 and we were 28-14 down at half time before turning it around to win 36-28.
    I think that that's the one he meant. One of the comebacks of all comebacks.

If I remember right Sts were late coming out for the 2nd half and left Rovers in the cold for several minutes.

Hey Reacher, I think I went the game with u that day. Jeez it was cold. But the leaping around on the terraces by 500 or so Sts fans near the end, resembling a convention of Gerbils or Kangaroos, certainly got the blood flowing.

We've all done embarrassing things during our time when celebrating a try or win!

Talk about Global Warming, Yorkshire was an inhospitable place in those days in winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Supporter View Post
    I think that that's the one he meant. One of the comebacks of all comebacks.

If I remember right Sts were late coming out for the 2nd half and left Rovers in the cold for several minutes.

Hey Reacher, I think I went the game with u that day. Jeez it was cold. But the leaping around on the terraces by 500 or so Sts fans near the end, resembling a convention of Gerbils or Kangaroos, certainly got the blood flowing.

We've all done embarrassing things during our time when celebrating a try or win!

Talk about Global Warming, Yorkshire was an inhospitable place in those days in winter!
    Yes we did go to that game. I remember it well. Am sure we were chased back to the coaches by the Featherstone mob as well but cant remember properly!

I also remember a comeback against Oldham near Christmas time. I ran on the pitch at the end to get Tea Ropati's tie wraps (was the days when everyone used to run on the pitch at the end) and I remember him laughing at me.

It was only when I looked in the mirror later that I realised what Ropati was laughing at.. I was wearing one of those Santa bob hats and mine must have been a dodgy one as it was stretched ridiculously high on my head and looked completely different to everyone else's

You were with me on that one as well Bill lol

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Yes we did go to that game. I remember it well. Am sure we were chased back to the coaches by the Featherstone mob as well but cant remember properly!
    Just realised my contradiction It was one of those where I can remember certain things and not others. Think I was only about 14

I also remember a comeback against Oldham near Christmas time. I ran on the pitch at the end to get Tea Ropati's tie wraps (was the days when everyone used to run on the pitch at the end) and I remember him laughing at me.
    It was only when I looked in the mirror later that I realised what Ropati was laughing at.. I was wearing one of those Santa bob hats and mine must have been a dodgy one as it was stretched ridiculously high on my head and looked completely different to everyone else's

You were with me on that one as well Bill lol
    Just been on the Heritage website and cant find that game anywhere. It would have been the 89-90 or 90-91 season and Ropati had a major influence on the game and was mobbed by the Saints fans at the end, some of whom including me, were wearing Santa hats. However it cant have been at Oldham and I cant recall which away ground it was.

Its driving me mad trying to remember

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Just been on the Heritage website and cant find that game anywhere. It would have been the 89-90 or 90-91 season and Ropati had a major influence on the game and was mobbed by the Saints fans at the end, some of whom including me, were wearing Santa hats. However it cant have been at Oldham and I cant recall which away ground it was.

Its driving me mad trying to remember
    Well in 87-88 and 89-90 we beat them in the Regal Trophy just before Christmas and Ropati didn't play in either.

The only game it could possibly be was in 1991-92 away to Oldham in the same competition. Ropati played and we won 24-18 but there was no great comeback.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Well in 87-88 and 89-90 we beat them in the Regal Trophy just before Christmas and Ropati didn't play in either.

The only game it could possibly be was in 1991-92 away to Oldham in the same competition. Ropati played and we won 24-18 but there was no great comeback.
    That may be right. Ropati may not even have had a major influence on the game and we may not have made a comeback. My memory of it is quite sketchy, the main point that I remember was the wearing of the santa hats. Given that he was my hero at the time, I may have just asked him for his tie ups because of his status in my eyes, and not that he had done anything special.

I even phoned the Legendary Supporter last night to ask him if he could remember. He could not remember the season or the game but could remember the fans wearing santa hats. Given that he is "Mr St Helens", I dont feel as bad now for not remembering lol

Funnily enough Dave, I used to go watching matches with Bill just before he started going with you, so if you can remember the season you started to sit with him on the coach, it may solve my problem!

Well I was wrong with my very first sentence of this thread.Quite a few of the games mentioned are available on vhs or dvd but people would love to go back to see them live.It just shows you can,t beat the atmosphere of being at a live game.There have been some great suggestions.Some of which have stirred my memory and brought back thoughts of many happy hours watching our great team.Thanks to all who have contributed.:saint:

Or even the 75-0
    A lot of us lost count howmany Saints scored but no one lost count howmany Wigan scored. Don't be too harsh on people

Learning All The Songs Dynamite Don Brennan's Avatar

09/12/84
    Saints v Leeds
    If i remember rightly it was prety close tll late on. Some of, if not the best rugby ive ever seen us play
    Id be very suprised if anyones got that

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Don Brennan View Post
    09/12/84
    Saints v Leeds
    If i remember rightly it was prety close tll late on. Some of, if not the best rugby ive ever seen us play
    i think thats the one i mentioned earlier,did meninga play in that one ?

Learning All The Songs Dynamite Don Brennan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
    i think thats the one i mentioned earlier,did meninga play in that one ?

Yea,Arky got a hat trick.

Edit:
    Just read your post, yes its the same match.
    Your right about the video,at the time you could rent them from Saints but that one went "missing".

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Don Brennan View Post
    09/12/84
    Saints v Leeds

It was close till late on. We use to the coupon handicap and had something like Leeds with 8-10pts start. It was something like 16-12 to Saints and we thought a good day. Saints win and we win. Then Saints went on the rampage in the last 15 minutes and won something like 48-16.

Starting A Programme Collection Red_V_Roger's Avatar
    Peregian Springs, (near Noosa) Queensland

Wide to West

PSG v Saints (Paris 1996) without the rain this time please

Saints v Bulls - Challenge Cup Final 1996

Sheffield Eagles v Wigan - Challenge Cup Final. How I would liked to have been there, rather than stuck at Manchester Airport with Murgatroyd.
    Gone Walkabout...

Quote Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger View Post
    Wide to West

PSG v Saints (Paris 1996) without the rain this time please

Saints v Bulls - Challenge Cup Final 1996

Sheffield Eagles v Wigan - Challenge Cup Final. How I would liked to have been there, rather than stuck at Manchester Airport with Murgatroyd.
    Good choices Roger,but not too sure about PSG match in 96.
    I have never been so pleased to be delayed at an airport.If it hadn,t have been for that we would have missed the biggest cup final shock of all time.Because of course none of us had recorded it.We would if we had known what would happen.On the two occasions I moved closer to the TV Wigan scored and you woudn,t let me get nearer the screen again.
    That result made the Jolly Boys outing to Benidorm all that more enjoyable.Yes I would have liked to have been at that one.lol

Boxing Day 1987 was my fav game and still have it to re-live on video.

I would plump for Wembley 1976.I starting watching Saints circa 1975, I was not able to go to the cup final the following season as I was only 10 and none of my family were supporters. Had to settle for watching my brother in a football cup final instead so didnt even get to see it on TV. Never seen the full game when our ' Dads Army' beat the then ' Cup Kings' Widnes.

After starting watching in 1975 I had to wait until 1996 to see us lift the cup after being in attendance for defeats in 78, 87, 89 and 91 and 96 wasnt looking to good at one point !!
    Last edited by Div; 15th December 2008 at 22:24.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Would love to see the 1976 Challenge Cup Final against Widnes.It was my 1st timeat Wembley & VCR were something of a very pricey luxury at the time.Never seen it at all !