Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which match would you like to see again?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Can I just say thanks to Murgatroyd for making me feel young again...remembering a game before I was born !
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Couldn't really pick one Saints game out to be honest - too many to mention (Although If I could go back to the kop end at Central Park in '93 and pause the game at 8-0 that'd do it for me!).

However If I could open this out to a non-Saints game, I would love to go back to Odsal, 5th May 1954 for the Challenge cup final reply between Halifax and Wire. To have been part of that crowd must have been quite unbelievable.

Got A Season Ticket

Can i be greedy and have a couple?

Manchester Rangers 1890. First game at Knowsley Road

Game from 1931/32 season when we were champions for the first time. Plus to see Ellaby

Championship Final in 1959 to see a great selection of tries and the dawn of the Saints, plus to film the game!

John Player Final v Leeds. The game that made me a Saint, although i cannot remember much of it!

Final league game v Warrington in 1996

Grand Final 1999 - an unexpected victory and made some uni friends Saints for life!

World Club Championship Brisbane at Bolton 2001. A fantastic night to say i was there, and be proud as our team took on the best in the World and came out on top. (Also because i tipped us to win a few weeks before on a message board and then had the mick taken out of me! Oh how i laughed!)

Learning All The Songs

Wouldn't argue with any of the above - obviously 1996 CC win (my first watching Saints), the 41-6 game, Wide To West, the 1989 semi win over Widnes with Quirk's late try, the two Meninga inspired finals in 1984-85, but the game I would like to see again because I can't remember much about it was a Cup game at Wilderspool in 1988 (I think) when John Fieldhouse went over at the Fletcher Street end in injury time to clinch a topsy turvy game

Alan Hunte interception try 95/96 when bobbie was "red carded" by russell smith. And also pickie's last minute try at wilderspool.....superb, year later was it? great atmos in the saints end, and what lovely toilets. lol

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

All but the 59 one mentioned so far have had an airing in The George on a Thursday evening.
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I would like to see the wide to west game as i was only 10 at the time and have no recollection of it whatsoever
    80 mins of dour arm wrestle followed by 30 seconds of brilliance?

Can anyone tell me anything interesting about that match EXCEPT the final play?

When we beat Wigan 19-0. April 2002 was great.

One of the best tackles i've seen by Cunningham on Mark Smith and one of the best pieces of skill with the Shiels try from Martyn.

As a whole game though i'd go for the WCC against Brisbane in 2001.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    80 mins of dour arm wrestle followed by 30 seconds of brilliance?

Can anyone tell me anything interesting about that match EXCEPT the final play?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bert View Post
    All but the 59 one mentioned so far have had an airing in The George on a Thursday evening.
    you forgot to mention the prices al
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by HAVENSAINT View Post
    Alan Hunte interception try 95/96 when bobbie was "red carded" by russell smith. And also pickie's last minute try at wilderspool.....superb, year later was it? great atmos in the saints end, and what lovely toilets. lol
    the only toilets in the league where you
    didnt have to move
    you could pi## where you stood
    ........happy days
    lol

Some cracking choices,71 Championship,Meninga Lancs.Cup final at Wigan,Meninga Championship final against Hull KR.I wouldn,t mind seeing all of those again.And the none Saints one.I have often thought what would it have been like to have experienced the hundred thousand plus crowd at Odsal for that famous Challenge Cup replay.It must have been some atmosphere.Keep em coming.
    Nearly forgot the 41-6 against Wigan that has been mentioned.That would be on my see again list.I saw Shane Cooper in town the next day and he said the players were more made up than the fans over that win.
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 9th December 2008 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
    Some cracking choices,71 Championship,Meninga Lancs.Cup final at Wigan,Meninga Championship final against Hull KR.I wouldn,t mind seeing all of those again.And the none Saints one.I have often thought what would it have been like to have experienced the hundred thousand plus crowd at Odsal for that famous Challenge Cup replay.It must have been some atmosphere.Keep em coming.
    Nearly forgot the 41-6 against Wigan that has been mentioned.That would be on my see again list.I saw Shane Cooper in town the next day and he said the players were more made up than the fans over that win.
    i missed the lancashire cup win over wigan
    the one when paul bishop played
    i was in greece
    that was a great game
    i think it was 26-18 correct me if im wrong
    lol

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peter soutos tash View Post
    i missed the lancashire cup win over wigan
    the one when paul bishop played
    i was in greece
    that was a great game
    i think it was 26-18 correct me if im wrong
    lol
    Thats another lol
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

In The South Stand

i've thought about this for a while,and without repeating what has allready been said,all of which i agree with,heres a few more

leeds at home during the meninga season,we destroyed them with some awesome rugby.you couldn't get hold of the match video from the club shop,rumour has it,its in australia

hull at home in the early 80's,in the cup.they were top dogs at the time and we were average at best.pinner destroyed them that day,murphy said on tv they should give him the town hall clock!

a tour match against new zealand,we won it in the last minute.late 80's.any more details anyone?memories gone blank on that one.

any match against warrington,but especially the 80/0 one which led to brian johnsons resignation the following morning.

Got A Replica Shirt

Somebody mentioned the wire cup game with a late Fieldhouse try. I remember that as I was sat on a wall with my dad near the exit and when the ref gave a scrum I think? Some Saints fans came rushing back in as they were already on there way out before we scored and then it all went mental.

Excluding Finals I would also like to see a game at Fev probably around 1990 were we were losing by about 20 points at half time on an ice rink of a pitch having played down hill first half. (will mean nothing to the younger posters) We played brilliant in the 2nd half with our old friend Judas scoring in the last minute under the posts to secure a win. It was freezing but the type of game that gets you hooked when your team wins!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
    i've thought about this for a while,and without repeating what has allready been said,all of which i agree with,heres a few more

leeds at home during the meninga season,we destroyed them with some awesome rugby.you couldn't get hold of the match video from the club shop,rumour has it,its in australia

hull at home in the early 80's,in the cup.they were top dogs at the time and we were average at best.pinner destroyed them that day,murphy said on tv they should give him the town hall clock!

a tour match against new zealand,we won it in the last minute.late 80's.any more details anyone?memories gone blank on that one.

any match against warrington,but especially the 80/0 one which led to brian johnsons resignation the following morning.
    Pinner destroyed Hull with drop goals,and general play,and Buffer scored the winner against N.Z.Thanks for prompting my memory.lol

Learning All The Songs

Does anyone remember Les Quirk winning a match with a 90 yard(not metre) try in front of the pop. side.

Learning All The Songs

Great thread.Saints have given us some magical moments.My wife say's I love the three s'.Saints,se* and sun.In that order.She's correct.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    Does anyone remember Les Quirk winning a match with a 90 yard(not metre) try in front of the pop. side.
    Are you thinking about Hull in 1991, 12-10 win on a Monday night? If so, I remember it well, what a try, jumping around on the Scaff hugging strangers because we'd won a game that probably kept us in 5th place or something, how times change!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Are you thinking about Hull in 1991, 12-10 win on a Monday night? If so, I remember it well, what a try, jumping around on the Scaff hugging strangers because we'd won a game that probably kept us in 5th place or something, how times change!
    We were hungry then.:saint:

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If the question is which game I'd like to live again in person it'd have to be Central Park, 1991, Cup Semi vs Widnes, just for the atmosphere on the Pop on the half way line. I can't remember ever feeling so knackered before a game started. We just dont get that type of atmosphere anymore with semi's usually at all-seater stadiums.
    The 1989 Semi-Final v Widnes was a far better occasion, pre-match, during and afterwards and it was sheer bedlam when Les Quirk went in for the winner.

I don't know about a match I'd like to see again, as I've seen it dozens of times, but if I was asked to live through an eighty minutes on the terraces again, that would be it.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint74 View Post
    Somebody mentioned the wire cup game with a late Fieldhouse try. I remember that as I was sat on a wall with my dad near the exit and when the ref gave a scrum I think? Some Saints fans came rushing back in as they were already on there way out before we scored and then it all went mental.

Excluding Finals I would also like to see a game at Fev probably around 1990 were we were losing by about 20 points at half time on an ice rink of a pitch having played down hill first half. (will mean nothing to the younger posters) We played brilliant in the 2nd half with our old friend Judas scoring in the last minute under the posts to secure a win. It was freezing but the type of game that gets you hooked when your team wins!
    Slightly distorted memory there.

The one we won with Gary Connolly's late try (still one of the best team tries I have ever seen) was in late 1989 when we won by 24-23.

The one where we were trailing heavily on the frozen pitch was in January 1991 and we were 28-14 down at half time before turning it around to win 36-28.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bert View Post
    Thats another lol
    free beer for that one?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman View Post

wasnt it 27-26 and kelly shelford missed
    a last minute penalty
    lol