Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which match would you like to see again?

Default Which match would you like to see again?

This will probably not apply to the younger members of this site.Because virtually all games since Super League began are available on DVD or video.
    It is a fantasy question so humour me.If Dr.Who was to land and say,"can I take you to any past Saints game you like" which one would you choose?
    My choice would be the 1959 Championship Final at Odsal.That was the game when Vollenhoven scored three tries including a length of the field effort beating half of the Hunslet team as he ran down the touchline.I have met and spoke to Voll on a couple of occasions and he says that in his opinion that it was his best ever try.But apart from Volls,contribution it was a fantastic game.Saints were looking second best before Volls,super try and were trailing by 11-3 with about twenty minutes gone.It transformed the whole team and by half time Saints were leading 22-11 and went on to win 44-22.
    Its a long time ago but I can still remember Alec Murphy breaking through in the centre of the field and running from the half way line to score under the post.Then Dick Huddart scoring a similar try to finish our scoring.
    I have always thought it a great pity that there is no film of this game now.
    So lets hear your choice.It might be a game that you didn,t see first time but you have been told about it by your dad or just one you missed and wished you hadn,t.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
    This will probably not apply to the younger members of this site.Because virtually all games since Super League began are available on DVD or video.
    It is a fantasy question so humour me.If Dr.Who was to land and say,"can I take you to any past Saints game you like" which one would you choose?
    My choice would be the 1959 Championship Final at Odsal.That was the game when Vollenhoven scored three tries including a length of the field effort beating half of the Hunslet team as he ran down the touchline.I have met and spoke to Voll on a couple of occasions and he says that in his opinion that it was his best ever try.But apart from Volls,contribution it was a fantastic game.Saints were looking second best before Volls,super try and were trailing by 11-3 with about twenty minutes gone.It transformed the whole team and by half time Saints were leading 22-11 and went on to win 44-22.
    Its a long time ago but I can still remember Alec Murphy breaking through in the centre of the field and running from the half way line to score under the post.Then Dick Huddart scoring a similar try to finish our scoring.
    So lets hear your choice.It might be a game that you didn,t see first time but you have been told about it by your dad or just one you missed and wished you hadn,t.
    I was there, terrific try from Tommy, Duggie gave him the ball on our line.

The Daily Express on the Monday had seven individual pictures of him beating a man on each.

Prinsloo scored his best ever try that day too, sheer speed taking him 60yds. straight as an arrow down the touchline.lol

Noooobie

1987, Central Park, W!gan leading 22-6 at half time Saints made a comeback winning 32-22, great game can't remember many details of the game, just the silly jumping up and down and the thrill of beating the auld enemy on their own turf!!!lol

Learning All The Songs

My first challenge cup final at Wembley.It was 1972,St.helens v Leeds,I was six years old and therefore can only remember a few snipets of the game,which are.St.Helens won 16 - 13 and Graham Rees of Saints scored after a few seconds of play,probably the fastest try scored at Wembley.Would love to see the whole game again,stood up behind the posts, in a sea of red and white because when finals were several years apart, everyone made a big effort to dress up shops,buses and of course themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by St_Si View Post
    1987, Central Park, W!gan leading 22-6 at half time Saints made a comeback winning 32-22, great game can't remember many details of the game, just the silly jumping up and down and the thrill of beating the auld enemy on their own turf!!!lol
    Good choice.I was there for that one.The notable thing about that game was that it was an eight point try that really helped our comeback.:saint:

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse View Post
    I was there, terrific try from Tommy, Duggie gave him the ball on our line.

The Daily Express on the Monday had seven individual pictures of him beating a man on each.

Prinsloo scored his best ever try that day too, sheer speed taking him 60yds. straight as an arrow down the touchline.lol
    I remember those pictures in the paper.Also when Murphy scored there was a fan from the ringside seats standing on the touchline urging him on and I think he could be seen on one of the press photos.
    My late grandfather always said that the Prinsloo try you mentioned was neary as good as Volls,first.I think he scored two that day.

Got A Replica Shirt

My old man still talks about the 1959 Voll try to this day. Every Saints winger since has had to listen to my old man shout "Voll would have p1ssed in there" every time they have failed to score or beat the full back on a break! So he would definately go back to that day.

For me I would love to see the 1984 Lancs Cup Final at Central Park when we beat Wigan on there own ground. Two try's from Meninga I think.

Also I have memories of a great Saints performance at Wigan in possibly the Lancs Cup at Central Park when Saints were well on top and the lights went out? Once they put the plug back in we lost but that was the norm around then! If somebody could fill in the gaps I would be greatful. Cheers

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post

I would like to see the 1971 championship final v Wigan when all seemed lost.I think we scored tries from Blackwood,with 5 minutes remaining and a touchline conversion from Coslett, and Benyon in the last minute to win the match after a huge up n under which bounced away from Colin Tyrer the Wigan fullback.I always remember watching it on tv and my mum cutting my hair at the same time, and being in tears before the comeback thinking we'd lost.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I would like to see the wide to west game as i was only 10 at the time and have no recollection of it whatsoever
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Tough call, but Wide to West would have to be up there. I'll have to think about this one, there's been some belters over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If the question is which game I'd like to live again in person it'd have to be Central Park, 1991, Cup Semi vs Widnes, just for the atmosphere on the Pop on the half way line. I can't remember ever feeling so knackered before a game started. We just dont get that type of atmosphere anymore with semi's usually at all-seater stadiums.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    We just dont get that type of atmosphere anymore.
    Edited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint74 View Post
    My old man still talks about the 1959 Voll try to this day. Every Saints winger since has had to listen to my old man shout "Voll would have p1ssed in there" every time they have failed to score or beat the full back on a break! So he would definately go back to that day.

For me I would love to see the 1984 Lancs Cup Final at Central Park when we beat Wigan on there own ground. Two try's from Meninga I think.

Also I have memories of a great Saints performance at Wigan in possibly the Lancs Cup at Central Park when Saints were well on top and the lights went out? Once they put the plug back in we lost but that was the norm around then! If somebody could fill in the gaps I would be greatful. Cheers
    Pat Jarvis era I think 1987.

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St_Si View Post
    boxing day wasn't it
    top game it was forber who scored the winner
    but i could be wrong
    lol

for me it has to be boxing day 1992 i think
    when we battered wigan 41-6
    happy days
    jarrod mccrackens finest hour
    lol

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by peter soutos tash View Post
    boxing day wasn't it
    top game it was forber who scored the winner
    but i could be wrong
    lol
    I can see the game now in my head.Peter souto with that tash.Dan tanner kicking goals.Forber scoring the winner in front of the "kop"

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    I can see the game now in my head.Peter souto with that tash.Dan tanner kicking goals.Forber scoring the winner in front of the "kop"
    atmosphere
    lol

you remember that too?
    lol

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

For me, it would have to be the 1985 Premiership Final at Elland Road against Hull KR. Mal Meninga's two intercept tries and his tackle on, i think it was Gary Clarke, which damaged his shoulder and left the player winded on the ground
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints-Crusaders View Post
    For me, it would have to be the 1985 Premiership Final at Elland Road against Hull KR. Mal Meninga's two intercept tries and his tackle on, i think it was Gary Clarke, which damaged his shoulder and left the player winded on the ground
    my first game
    no wonder i got hooked
    lol

Learning All The Songs

atmosphere
    lol

you remember that too?
    lol
    We were hungry then.lollollol

Learning All The Songs

my first game
    no wonder i got hooked
    lol
    Gary Prohm I think?lol (answer to saints crusader)sos.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Pat Jarvis era I think 1987.
    pat jarvis debut if I remember.

But 32-22 central park for me Peter Souto An Big Stu Smashed up up front, Platty played a rare game at 13, kevin McCormick getting a cheap shot from Shelford wile he was down injured.

And to cap it all. A pie eater having a go at me at half time telling me and me dad to go home because Saints were sh1t.

Imagine the joy of barracking him as he left with 10 mins to go

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Yoffy View Post
    pat jarvis debut if I remember.

But 32-22 central park for me Peter Souto An Big Stu Smashed up up front, Platty played a rare game at 13, kevin McCormick getting a cheap shot from Shelford wile he was down injured.

And to cap it all. A pie eater having a go at me at half time telling me and me dad to go home because Saints were sh1t.

Imagine the joy of barracking him as he left with 10 mins to go
    Brill.lollollol. Did have the Wigan video recording of the match with a biased commentary by,I think,Jack Winstanley.Looking for it now.lol

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Brill.lollollol. Did have the Wigan video recording of the match with a biased commentary by,I think,Jack Winstanley.Looking for it now.lol
    Yes i have that somewhere. IIRC didn't Hanley get sin-binned at the end as well to add insult to injury.

Probably most of the ones mentioned on here, but one that hasn't is when we were the only club side to beat the Aussies in 1973.

Frank Wilson blasted three Aussies out of the way to score our only try by the posts as we won 11-7. The downside was a broken leg to Mel James who didn't play again for 16 months.

The atmosphere under the lights was brill.