Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flannery

Flannery is a top player he has excellent speed in defense and works hard in attack. As other people have said, you can not have a team full of superstars, there has to be some workers in there.
    For an overseas player you would expect us to go with an attacking player rather than a very good worker. But as workers go I think we have got one of the best.
    I would agree that Flannery is not a centre. To add to the reasons, his work ethic is wasted in that position.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Flannery is a top player he has excellent speed in defense and works hard in attack. As other people have said, you can not have a team full of superstars, .

Yup, I know. Which is why you bunce your team up with non superstar home grown talent that does a decent job. You dont take up a quota spot and pay decent wages for a run of the mill player.

The fact of the matter is that Flannery came with a decent reputation and people applauded the signing. The same people were then making excuses for him when he didnt do too well....injuries, time to settle in, he'll be better next year...and so on. Now the same people are claiming that this level of performance is fine because they simply wont admit that that he hasnt been a good signing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest View Post
    Yup, I know. Which is why you bunce your team up with non superstar home grown talent that does a decent job. You dont take up a quota spot and pay decent wages for a run of the mill player.

The fact of the matter is that Flannery came with a decent reputation and people applauded the signing. The same people were then making excuses for him when he didnt do too well....injuries, time to settle in, he'll be better next year...and so on. Now the same people are claiming that this level of performance is fine because they simply wont admit that that he hasnt been a good signing.
    exactly, and the stats listed above prove the the so called home grown cheap option/ squad fodder is in fact a superior player to the over hyped quota player. stats say it all.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I don't share your opinion at all.This site is all about opinions I know but there is too much unjustified criticism and slagging off.Flannery has not let us down at all.His defence is very good and he handles and passes well.What more do you want?
    I can't imagine he is on superstars money anyway.
    Players like him with his experience are really good for the youngsters coming through.I am happy if he is in the team supporting a young centre on the left.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I don't share your opinion at all.This site is all about opinions I know but there is too much unjustified criticism and slagging off.Flannery has not let us down at all.His defence is very good and he handles and passes well.What more do you want?
    I can't imagine he is on superstars money anyway.
    Players like him with his experience are really good for the youngsters coming through.I am happy if he is in the team supporting a young centre on the left.
    it is true that he has not let us down at all, and probably isnt on a great deal of money as he was coming back from injury when we signed him. However, the stats show that he is no better than any number of English players in the competition. At a time when the England team is playing so badly, does a top team like Saints not have a responsibility to bring on and develop of these England players, rather than playing another foreigner?

Flannery is a decent player - but the foreign players that Saints bring in shoud be the very top class ones who make the team considerably better.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

There should be only two reasons for signing someone from the other side of the world:
    1) There's nobody European who can do the job as good, and
    2) he can double as a trainer/mentor to young players who could learn a lot from his experience.
    Last edited by bobble; 11th December 2008 at 13:05.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post
    Ther should be only two resons for signing someone from the other side of the world:
    2) he can double as a trainer/mentor to young players who could learn a lot from his experience.
    Fair enough,I just think he does a decent job.We will need him next season.

Ther should be only two resons for signing someone from the other side of the world:
    I disagree. Regarding your first point I do agree to an extent although I would substitue "European" for "British". I saw the other day that Leeds are going to France to fill their last vacant squad space. Surely, they would have been better promoting one of their "hopeful kids" rather than going overseas (and I an know the EUSSR employment laws wouldn't make him overseas) particularly after their signings are both Anti-podeans.

I happen to think that signing a player from overseas can be beneficial even if they are as good as what is available at home. Adding a bit of cosmopolitanism to the side can be good for ideas on the training pitch, attitude in sticky moments during the match and a host of other reasons.

Learning All The Songs knowsleyroader's Avatar

I would take Clough over Flannery any day of the week, even if they were the same age. I think Clough has already shown more in a Saints shirt than Flannery has and we have the benefit of him likely to improve a great deal.

For me Clough could easily reach the heights that Roby and Graham have.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse View Post
    Personally i don't think Clough will make it, Bennett's retired and Wilkin is a show pony. He must be very poor if he's not better than them. There has to be a grafter in a team, everyone can't be a star.
    Cannot believe your damning assessment of Clough. You must be seeing a different player than me. I can definitely agree with your assessment of Wilkin.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterSaint View Post
    I disagree. Regarding your first point I do agree to an extent although I would substitue "European" for "British". I saw the other day that Leeds are going to France to fill their last vacant squad space. Surely, they would have been better promoting one of their "hopeful kids" rather than going overseas (and I an know the EUSSR employment laws wouldn't make him overseas) particularly after their signings are both Anti-podeans.

I happen to think that signing a player from overseas can be beneficial even if they are as good as what is available at home. Adding a bit of cosmopolitanism to the side can be good for ideas on the training pitch, attitude in sticky moments during the match and a host of other reasons.
    there is an argument though, that by taking on more French players into Super League it will improve the quality of the French national team, and provide a stronger contest for England in the mid-season tests, which will improve our position overall internationally.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

I don't see what the difference is between England and France, it all helps superleague.

The problem with local is the definition of local. There are some, even here on this very forum, who'd class Graham as not local.

Where I think most SL teams fail to fully capitalise on their imported investment is to use the southern hemisphere experience in youth development. These Auzies should be earning their pension by passing on their undoubtedly excellent skills to more local youngsters as part of their contract.

I don't see what the difference is between England and France, it all helps superleague.

The problem with local is the definition of local. There are some, even here on this very forum, who'd class Graham as not local.

Where I think most SL teams fail to fully capitalise on their imported investment is to use the southern hemisphere experience in youth development. These Auzies should be earning their pension by passing on their undoubtedly excellent skills to more local youngsters as part of their contract.
    Exactly my point about Flanno.Easing our own youngsters in.If we cannot get a proper high quality centre down to "cost and availability" (Chairmans words) then we are far better blooding the youngsters and supporting them.Rather than making do with a slower second row filling in.

Banned

I dont mind flannery, but as for pretty boy wilkin he is pathetic and well overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    there is an argument though, that by taking on more French players into Super League it will improve the quality of the French national team, and provide a stronger contest for England in the mid-season tests, which will improve our position overall internationally.
    I agree. But there is also an argument that the French authorities and government did something to improve French RL as it is not the responsibility of the British teams. I am not slating Leeds for doing it, like I said, I am in favour of overseas players to an extent and a french player or a martian player could be good for the dynamics of their squad. It was just an observation about overseas players.

You don't think that what is good for the French RL is automatically good for British RL?

After all they have a team in SL and a team in NL.

Personally, I think the seam of gold that RL is missing out on is to poach young promising RU players (like Fas). They're all playing for money now so lets go in and cherry pick the best RU youth.

You don't think that what is good for the French RL is automatically good for British RL?

After all they have a team in SL and a team in NL.

Personally, I think the seam of gold that RL is missing out on is to poach young promising RU players (like Fas). They're all playing for money now so lets go in and cherry pick the best RU youth.
    No I don't think what is good for French RL is automatically good for British RL. This can be seen in the Premier League, players from all over the world in the domestic teams = England get whooped and are totally useless at international football when those foreign players are unavailable = clubs sign from overseas and give up on domestic player development = England continue to be useless and will never win anything again; this would be the same in RL if British clubs don't take British RL seriously and promote British players and not seek overseas players when there is a vacancy in the squad. What I also said was that I was not slating Leeds for seeking a young french player for their squad, just making an observation that even if you stop teams going to Australia and New Zealand, there are always alternatives. In my view, SOME overseas players are great for team dynamics.

Whether, if as you suggest, whatever is good for French RL is good for British RL, it is still not the British clubs responsibility to develop French RL, that is the job of those on the otherside of that glorious stretch of ogin called the English channel.

yeah but few yawnion players could cut it in super league these days, seein as in super league the players actually play rugby and all, rather than just lying on top of each other waiting for the ref to count to ten and givin someone a kick at goal.

These kind of descriptions do not belong alongside the name Flannery. Simple as.

He's decent at best, a gross waste of a quota spot, wont be cheap and offers nothing more than Clough, Bennett, Gilmour, wilkin etc...

This is simply a case of the The Emperor's New Clothes with people creating imaginary great things about Flannery that us mere plebs are too stupid to see due to our lack of knowledge.
    IN the opinion of whom?? You?? It depends on whether you like the brilliance of the flair players like Flick, Lyon etc or the workman like old fashioned type of player like Bennett. I watched Flanno very closely because I was wondering to myself last season how we would shape up with Scully gone and Wilkin almost playmaking and drifting around the park as he tends to do sniffing out opportunities, having watched his work, I remain with what I said first.

If you think people who like him are making things up to make you look stupid you have a serious personality disorder. I for one and I don't recall anyone else suggesting you know nothing about the game because you don't happen to agree with me, you are entitled to your opinion. As much as the Government and Gordon Brown particularly would like to, they haven't yet criminalised the right to opinion, although you will be arrested for disagreeing with the Government, not me though.

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post
    yeah but few yawnion players could cut it in super league these days, seein as in super league the players actually play rugby and all, rather than just lying on top of each other waiting for the ref to count to ten and givin someone a kick at goal.
    There are many players in union who would cut it skill wise at league. Mainly the half backs, centres and fullbacks. I reckon a few second rowers, flankers and number 8s across the GP would slot into a league pack well.

In The South Stand

in the case of flannery.is there a british player out there with his experience and capability who we could have signed for nothing and who would play on his wages?
    we are bringing enough youngsters through at the moment,we need a few old heads in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    There are many players in union who would cut it skill wise at league. Mainly the half backs, centres and fullbacks. I reckon a few second rowers, flankers and number 8s across the GP would slot into a league pack well.
    Especially if you follow my point and only go to union to cherry pick the youngsters. I can see little benefit in importing expensive fully entrenched older union players.

I just think league is missing a trick here.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Only the very best union players of international standard have made it in league.The demands are higher in terms of fitness,no rest periods in league,I've played both.If you were a centre what code would you play.It's much easier playing union.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Fair enough,I just think he does a decent job.We will need him next season.
    so you think that someone who comes with SOO pedigree and years in the NRL should be just "decent"

Banned

IN the opinion of whom?? You?? .
    Its not an opinion its a statistical fact that he has been out performed by Clough in that aspects of the game relevant to a backrower.

It depends on whether you like the brilliance of the flair players like Flick, Lyon etc or the workman like old fashioned type of player like Bennett..
    Its not about that at all because your comapring different positions. From an Aussie with SOO experience and years in the NRL I would expect more than a decent performance. I'd expect him to make more yards than a kid. I'd expect him to be able to tackle better than a kid. Id expect him maybe to have more to his game, perhaps making more yards, or some good offloads, some breaks / half breaks than your average run of the mill player.

If you think people who like him are making things up to make you look stupid you have a serious personality disorder. ..
    Only I didnt say that so you must have a serious reading disorder.

I for one and I don't recall anyone else suggesting you know nothing about the game because you don't happen to agree with me, you are entitled to your opinion. As much as the Government and Gordon Brown particularly would like to, they haven't yet criminalised the right to opinion, although you will be arrested for disagreeing with the Government, not me though.

quality. lol

I havent denied you an opinion, you have had your opinion and I have told you that in my opinion its a load of cock. I am entightled to this opinion, much like you are.