Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Rugby League Worlds top 50 teenage players 2008

Default Rugby League Worlds top 50 teenage players 2008

Only one Saints junior in it. Kyle Eastmond who is ranked 8.
    This is despite us having the best academy side.

Wigan have 3 players in the top 50, Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop and Sean Ainscough.
    Castleford have two in Joe Westerman and Richard Owen
    Salford have two in Jordan Turner and Richard Myler

Notable absentees from the top 50 from Saints IMO include Gareth Frodsham and Gary Wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    Only one Saints junior in it. Kyle Eastmond who is ranked 8.
    This is despite us having the best academy side.

Wigan have 3 players in the top 50, Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop and Sean Ainscough.
    Castleford have two in Joe Westerman and Richard Owen
    Salford have two in Jordan Turner and Richard Myler

Notable absentees from the top 50 from Saints IMO include Gareth Frodsham and Gary Wheeler.
    Who picks this so called top 50?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Wheeler was in last years but hasn't made it this year. It's noticable how many Aussie and Kiwi players there are compared to Brits. I think this shows 2 things.
    1. There is a much bigger pool of players to choose from down under.
    2. NRL teams play kids when they think they are good enough, regardless of age. (Perhaps because they don't have overseas players limiting their chances?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Wheeler was in last years but hasn't made it this year. It's noticable how many Aussie and Kiwi players there are compared to Brits. I think this shows 2 things.
    1. There is a much bigger pool of players to choose from down under.
    2. NRL teams play kids when they think they are good enough, regardless of age. (Perhaps because they don't have overseas players limiting their chances?)
    There are more overseas players in the NRL than Super League.

It's full of Greek, Lebanese, Scots, English, Fijians. Tongans, Samoans and the main ones New Zealanders.

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse View Post
    There are more overseas players in the NRL than Super League.

It's full of Greek, Lebanese, Scots, English, Fijians. Tongans, Samoans and the main ones New Zealanders.
    Who lets be honest are all born in Sydney so are actually Australians
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    Who picks this so called top 50?
    I think its an RLW thing. I did not think too much of it last year when it had a lot of English men and I do not think much of it now they are all Australians. Who ever makes this stuff up has clearly got himself a Setanta subscription in the last 12 months. What about France and New Zealand? I am sure not all the best youngsters have been discovered yet. Did Catalan not sign a great teenage winger from Toulouse?
    Articles like this are a great opportunity to do some research and find out about some unknowns. Instead it show they can't be bothered leaving their office.
    If they had driven down the road to Halifax they would have seen that Tomkins does not look good enough for NL at the moment (I am sure this lad is not the only one). The two Salford lads are not worthy of their places either on the basis of what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Who lets be honest are all born in Sydney so are actually Australians
    Well just to satisfy myself, i have had a look at all the players in the NRL born in other countries 20 odd NZ born, a couple of Scots, a couple of Lebanese, an Englishman, 4 Samoans, 4 Tongans, 2 Fijians and a Greek. That's 37, and I 'm not sure I got them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think its an RLW thing. I did not think too much of it last year when it had a lot of English men and I do not think much of it now they are all Australians. Who ever makes this stuff up has clearly got himself a Setanta subscription in the last 12 months. What about France and New Zealand? I am sure not all the best youngsters have been discovered yet. Did Catalan not sign a great teenage winger from Toulouse?
    Articles like this are a great opportunity to do some research and find out about some unknowns. Instead it show they can't be bothered leaving their office.
    If they had driven down the road to Halifax they would have seen that Tomkins does not look good enough for NL at the moment (I am sure this lad is not the only one). The two Salford lads are not worthy of their places either on the basis of what I have seen.
    I think your mistaking Coyle for Sam Tomkins, however i agree with you re the Salford pair.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    I think your mistaking Coyle for Sam Tomkins, however i agree with you re the Salford pair.
    You could be right. Them pie eaters all look the same

Starting A Programme Collection

Jordan Turner has all the attributes to be an absolute star and I would have him at saints in a flash.

Turner, Micheal Lawrence, Eastmond, Tompkins, Kallum Watkins and Westerman are best of our (english) youngsters by a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtons View Post
    Jordan Turner has all the attributes to be an absolute star and I would have him at saints in a flash.

Turner, Micheal Lawrence, Eastmond, Tompkins, Kallum Watkins and Westerman are best of our (english) youngsters by a long way.
    Turner is too small IMO.