Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Play Off System

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

The more I think about it, the more I despair at how the RFL have ruined the whole thing.
    And made our game a complete laughing stock.I was lucky enough to get some corporate hospitality at Old Trafford last week,after succcesfully getting a fair number of united supporters onto the subject of Rugby League,the conversation turned to laughter when one of them mentioned our play off system.I could only agree with them,unfortunetly.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Is currently under embargo until midnight tonight, but you can find it on other sites. It's er... interesting let's put it that way. lol

I think its a joke !!!! I am not talking about the play off system, but the fact that a team can be in the bottom half of the league for the entire season, and still be crowned champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Ruth View Post

eamonn has it 100% bang on

Quote Originally Posted by SAINT NEV View Post
    Here's a revolutionary idea, we play a 14 team super league, and the team at the end of the season who wins the most games, and gets the most points becomes the super league champions just a thought!
    Don't be silly that would result in the best team in the league being champions, that would not be right. lol
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Don't be silly that would result in the best team in the league being champions, that would not be right. lol
    It sums up the RFL and the new play off idea. Common sense has gone out of the window at Red Hall, not that most officials there had any common sense in the first place.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I'd like to think that the coaches will get together and do a deal as regards to the "pick your opponent" idea. If for example Leeds finish top and we finish 2nd and both win in the 1st round we'd do a deal so Leeds play the lowest ranked team in the semi's. Its only the fair thing to do, and in theory I think most coaches would do that and use that reasoning to justify their selection.

What a joke.

A top 8 play off simply rewards mediocrity.Effectively a team who loses more games than it wins and could be 20 points or more behind the league leaders could potentially be Champions ! Brilliant !

Choosing your opponents in financially tight times will probably come down to who they think will attract the bigger attendance . Who has the final say ?

Im hoping the whole play off system runs its course and we eventually get back to crowning the league leaders rightfully as Champions at the end of the season.

Buying a season ticket and watching the weekly rounds is becoming more and more a waste of time.

Perhaps we should all boycott league games and just turn up from week one of play offs one season and see how long it lasts.

Got A Season Ticket Mr Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    What a joke.

A top 8 play off simply rewards mediocrity.Effectively a team who loses more games than it wins and could be 20 points or more behind the league leaders could potentially be Champions ! Brilliant !

Choosing your opponents in financially tight times will probably come down to who they think will attract the bigger attendance . Who has the final say ?

Im hoping the whole play off system runs its course and we eventually get back to crowning the league leaders rightfully as Champions at the end of the season.

Buying a season ticket and watching the weekly rounds is becoming more and more a waste of time.

Perhaps we should all boycott league games and just turn up from week one of play offs one season and see how long it lasts.
    Spot on Div, if football adopted this system, attendances would drop dramatically. Therefore they wouldn't have it.
    Its getting silly now.
    O'KEEFE

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

What a joke.

I agree a season starting in September and finishing in October would suffice as the play off system renders the season meaningless.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

true with no advantage for finishing in the top two.

if i were mick potter i'd be blooding a lot of youngsters this season to stand us in good stead for future seasons, as the regular season is virtually pointless

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

The RFL & Sky will keep pushing the format until people say STOP, you are ruining the game.

For years now people like myself and Div have been saying the payoffs to be champions is a joke, each time we are told by many posters on here, "you know the rules at the start" or "it used to be playoffs before".

Well for those people who sat back and said just go with it, tough, you now need to go with this!

It's all boll0ck5, you finish top of the league, your are champions, simple as!

A clubs season ticket and attendance to every game is becoming less and less meaningfull every year!
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Imagine a scenario where a team goes ALL season totally undefeated until the very last game i.e. The Grand Final in which they are beat by the 8th placed team who have finally found a bit of form in the last couple of games and are crowned Champions after losing more games than they have won !! Only the administrators of Rugby League could come up with such a system !!

A simple home and away fixture structure should mean top spot takes the accolade.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Imagine a scenario where a team goes ALL season totally undefeated until the very last game i.e. The Grand Final in which they are beat by the 8th placed team who have finally found a bit of form in the last couple of games and are crowned Champions after losing more games than they have won !! Only the administrators of Rugby League could come up with such a system !!

A simple home and away fixture structure should mean top spot takes the accolade.
    Thats not enough of a Gimmick for the RFL which feels it has to prostitute the game to get viewers watching it on telly.

Any kind of play off system is not part of the British sporting psyche. I would rather go to every league game thinking two points lost here could lose us the title. Every game would be like a play off then, not just 2 or 3 at the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Yoffy View Post
    Thats not enough of a Gimmick for the RFL which feels it has to prostitute the game to get viewers watching it on telly.
    Yes, by trying to make the last few weeks of the season exciting the RFL have actually made 27 rounds of rugby pretty meaningless. Most leagues that have a playoff system have a good reason.
    NFL - Round robin is not practical because of the number of teams.
    NRL - Not everyone plays each other twice.

Rugby League in this country needs somethng else than Superleague if they are going to insist on making the first 27 rounds pointless
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

The play off system in it new form form next season has the potential to wreck the game.

I'm not in favour of it one bit. There's far too much tinkering going on by SKY and the RFL and the weekly league matches have been totally devalued.

People will always argue whether the team that finishes first or the winner of playoffs should be Champions. I'm not against having a play off but its time that the team that finishes top should be given more recognition. The play off system should be made more competitive not less and I have previously argued that if the Champions are to be decided by a play off system then either

The top two teams after the final league positions go into the Grand Final or we revert to a top five team play off and no more where 1st plays second for a place in the final and the team that finishes 4th plays 5th at home with the winner playing the third placed team and the winners playing ythe loser of the top two. This system worked fine before the introduction of a top six play off and everyone understood it.

In The South Stand

the play offs are another money making scam.i agree with bert,there is less incentive to buy a season ticket,i buy 5 every year and i had a few reservations this season knowing that salford and celtic would be the 2 extra games.all the top 8 has done is watered down the league even further,i wish i hadn't bothered.bah humbug !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I wonder if the Play Offs have run their course with alot of people? More and more people seem to be voicing their opinions that top should get a greater reward and maybe they're right. The problem is, the end of season becomes a bit of a farce. Remember the Premiership?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Remember the Premiership?

Very well. The clubs that had won the Cup or The Championship really didnt give a monkeys about it. I remember Saints dusting Wigan 35-4 Brett Kenny and all the week after they had won at Wembley in 1985.

I think scrapping the play offs would allow the Challenge Cup to regain a bit of magic too.

In The South Stand

I wonder if the Play Offs have run their course with alot of people? More and more people seem to be voicing their opinions that top should get a greater reward and maybe they're right. The problem is, the end of season becomes a bit of a farce. Remember the Premiership?
    The play off concept has become badly tarnished by the introduction of next seasons crazy system. The RFL need to be told that they have gone too far and the reputation of the weekly league games has been totally devalued.

Teams need to get back to battling it out for a vital two points each week. Our competition needs more intensity and not less. Is it any wonder we got steam rollered in the World Cup? The Super League just isn't competitiive enough and lacks the intensity of the NRL. I know it isn't the only reason for our poor showing in the World Cup but making the weekly league matches less important is not the way to go and its a very poor and misguided judgement by the RFL.

If the RFL maintain this system it would not shock me one bit that it will soon make a negative impact on weekly attendances.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I was looking forward to the start of the season,but honestly this new play-off system has absolutely ruined it, ive already got my season ticket and it's a good job because I'd really have thought twice if I'd seen this coming. I've never agreed with the play-offs but I've learnt to live with them and under the old system at least the 1st and 2nd place teams had the best chance to reach the final i.e.being rewarded for the seasons effort,this new system is a joke,a lottery and absolutely devalues the weekly rounds,the RFL are taking the p**s out of us the paying customers and showing their arrogance by thinking the fans just take this latest nonsense and keep attending.Our gates are already poor I fear they could drop further,I hope I'm wrong.