Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youth...Who's gonna make it ??

Quote Originally Posted by peter soutos tash View Post
    different game and they weren't 40
    35 then

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse View Post
    Looks like England took notice, record scores against no matter who they play, so they haven't learned anything.
    It just shows that the NRL take defensive and tackling coaching a lot more serious than us. Each team has a defensive coach and a Wrestling coach that works on not only where to stand but how best to get an opponent to the ground and keep a dominant position.

Also Rl scores now higher than at anytime in the games history
    That is the 10 meter rule for you.

Oh! Larder was there to teach them defensive patterns, not how to tackle.
    Rubbish, anyone who watched the great Rory Underwood lol compared to the the union players that have followed under Larder will know that he was teaching then more than just patterns. I was very impressed by Sale in the cross code challenge they showed great tackling technique in the League half, in my eyes, proving that League defensive coaching works in Union. You can not say that every Union player who has played for England since 1996 has had heart and the ones before did not.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Back on subject. Mick Potter has named Matty Ashurst, Chris Dean and Jamie Foster as players who have been "training well". Nothing to get too excited with but i imagine that it gives them a good chance of getting an early chance in the team. Aussie coaches love players that work hard in training.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/1421

Learning All The Songs Billinge Lump's Avatar

you can improve tackling at any age not coach

Eh?

How do you improve tackling if you aren't doing it by coaching? Wishing it to be better?

indeed.
    I'm too pretty to be unlucky

In The South Stand peter soutos tash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Lump View Post
    Eh?

How do you improve tackling if you aren't doing it by coaching? Wishing it to be better?

indeed.
    what im trying to say is
    you cant teach someone whos never been able to tackle,
    to tackle like talau it need to be done at an early age
    and progressively improved

its technique
    and he doesnt have it at the moment

its technique
    and he doesnt have it at the moment
    You can say that again

Got A Replica Shirt

My issue with young Tyrer and he still is young is that he didnt appear to make any improvements at all. Yes he could improve his technique with decent coaching but his positional play was the thing that worried me.

When ever Saints were defending more so there own line Willie was for ever watching the position of his opposite number to ensure he had him marked. With that awareness and a great technique he was rarely beaten. I have witnessed on numerous occasions were in a defensive position Tyrer never even looked at the opposition player only the ball and when the ball comes sailing out to his wing he is beaten out of position and left his wingman with no chance. I have commented on this at the matches with friends during last season.

However he does it I hope the loan is a good move for the young tyrer and he does come back to Saints a much better player. I have my concerns but I would love to be proved wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    You can say that again
    lollollol

Quote Originally Posted by Saint74 View Post
    My issue with young Tyrer and he still is young is that he didnt appear to make any improvements at all. Yes he could improve his technique with decent coaching but his positional play was the thing that worried me.

When ever Saints were defending more so there own line Willie was for ever watching the position of his opposite number to ensure he had him marked. With that awareness and a great technique he was rarely beaten. I have witnessed on numerous occasions were in a defensive position Tyrer never even looked at the opposition player only the ball and when the ball comes sailing out to his wing he is beaten out of position and left his wingman with no chance. I have commented on this at the matches with friends during last season.

However he does it I hope the loan is a good move for the young tyrer and he does come back to Saints a much better player. I have my concerns but I would love to be proved wrong!
    spot on

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=12515

Not exactly, tackling but at least he will be able to beat his opposite number up after the game for making him look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=12515

Not exactly, tackling but at least he will be able to beat his opposite number up after the game for making him look stupid.
    It shows the lad has the right attitude and is working on his weaknesses.it wont show instant results, however i feel Ade Gardner is an excellent example of a player who worked hard at his game and has become an international wingman

Like the article says, Steve is excellent with ball in hand he just needs to work heavily on his defensive technique. It will take time perhaps a season or two for the real benefits to show, but with improvement he would make an excellent centre.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    Like the article says, Steve is excellent with ball in hand
    I've never really seen this. Was a bit bash n barge in the academy and doesn't seem to have particularly good feet when I've seen him play first team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I suspect the problem is a simple one with Ste Tyrer.He seems to me to watch the ball in defence too much and is often just a fraction too far away from the man he is set up to mark.That is unfortunate enough to make the difference at top level because he cannot either stop the man or stop the ball being off loaded.
    If he can watch his man more that might solve his problem other than that I actually like him as opposed to many who just criticise him.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    It shows the lad has the right attitude and is working on his weaknesses.it wont show instant results, however i feel Ade Gardner is an excellent example of a player who worked hard at his game and has become an international wingman

Like the article says, Steve is excellent with ball in hand he just needs to work heavily on his defensive technique. It will take time perhaps a season or two for the real benefits to show, but with improvement he would make an excellent centre.
    I would say that he has more of a chance on the wing. Wingers are less exposed in defense. It would take a lot for him to get another chance at Saints IMO.

Seems like if you go to the christmas match you'll see one of these youngsters in the centre position:
    http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/...l_centre_spot/

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post
    Seems like if you go to the christmas match you'll see one of these youngsters in the centre position:
    http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/...l_centre_spot/
    Good link

Three pre-season games?!?!?!
    I only know about 2 is that a typo do you think?

what im trying to say is
    you cant teach someone whos never been able to tackle,
    to tackle like talau it need to be done at an early age
    and progressively improved
    Tackle like Talau.

Like Bend it like Beckham,

I like it.