Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Failures!

Learning All The Songs McClennan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest
    Why are they? When was the last great side we beat in a final? The facts are we have bullied poor teams in the CC final and not cut the mustard against our peers. You can not escape this fact.
    You mean that we've lost two finals against Leeds and so the players that have topped the league for four years in a row (delivering three Challenge Cups on the side) don't deserve more respect? That's an awful thing to say given how well this team has performed.

I think you need to review your personal expectations for what constitutes a successful season. If winning the Grand Final every year is what you expect then you will be disappointed more often than not. At the start of the year everybody would have taken a trophy and of course we'd have preferred it to be the Grand Final but it isn't. It doesn't mean you can simply disrespect the players because they didn't deliver against an excellent Leeds side. Yes put your criticism up there and say it but labelling these players as 'failures' is appalling form.

Got A Season Ticket Naturalised_Yicker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McClennan
    You mean that we've lost two finals against Leeds and so the players that have topped the league for four years in a row (delivering three Challenge Cups on the side) don't deserve more respect? That's an awful thing to say given how well this team has performed.

I think you need to review your personal expectations for what constitutes a successful season. If winning the Grand Final every year is what you expect then you will be disappointed more often than not. At the start of the year everybody would have taken a trophy and of course we'd have preferred it to be the Grand Final but it isn't. It doesn't mean you can simply disrespect the players because they didn't deliver against an excellent Leeds side. Yes put your criticism up there and say it but labelling these players as 'failures' is appalling form.
    I suppose he pays his money, he's entitled to an opinion....watching professional sport has that effect on people.

Its still the greatest game in the world (only my opinion of course !!)

Got A Season Ticket

Lets be honest when the rain came, we all started thinking bloody hell. Leeds must have thought were in here and they were. We have had some really exciting wet weather games watching Saints this season. And I cant think of one we have won by more than Six points.

After my initial disapointment and sulking last night, I found myself talking to some Leeds fans in a pub after the game. They were decent lads and were discussing the finer points of the game.

They could not understand how we did not test Hall with any high kicks, especially in the horrible conditions. I cannot remember any kicks to his wing. Smith took everything in the air and played like he had been a full back all his life. We just had no Plan B last night and started to play desperate football, throwing it around aimlessly.

Leeds kicking game was superb, even kicking on the 3rd or 4th tackle to turn us around time and time again. Their defence strangled us and we had no answer.

This poor weather really gets to me. We play all our best rugby in May, June and July and then come the game that matters, it invariably ****es it down. A draw against Wigan in the rain, a last minute win against Warrington in the rain, and now 2 defeats against Leeds in the rain. We cant use that as an excuse though, we need to play in all conditions that this horrible British weather throws at us.

Short of Potter using hosepipes in training, we need to do something!

Quote Originally Posted by ex peasley cross
    Lets be honest when the rain came, we all started thinking bloody hell. Leeds must have thought were in here and they were. We have had some really exciting wet weather games watching Saints this season. And I cant think of one we have won by more than Six points.
    We can't blame that but you're right.

Banned

I think you misuderstanding my point. I dont think we are failures as we have had a very good year and the team should be congratulated on it. What I do think is laughable is the suggestion that this side is the best saints side eva eva eva and that we have dominated the sport when in reality we have won the main trophy once in 6 years.

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

Fully agreed. That's the gist of my phone conversation last night with a mate.

Learning All The Songs

There's no point in looking for excuses i.e. weather, Madrid. The simple fact was that the players let Anderson down last night. We are more than capable of winning that game and suggestions of mental blocks, bottlers, failures tags are nothing other than silly comments that do the players a great disservice.

The players know that they should have won last night and it's now up to them to be honest with themselves if they are in that situation again in the future, whether it be for club or country. I'm sure they will be every bit as gutted/disappointed/angry that they didn't produce their best last night and I think they should be shown a bit more respect for the way they have applied themselves during a very difficult season.
    agree with all that.

but your avatar makes me feel a bit odd.

dont know why lol

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by ex peasley cross
    Lets be honest when the rain came, we all started thinking bloody hell.
    Correct - thats exactly what i was thinking.

Got A Season Ticket

I've got to say after last nights match I've got to question whether having the week off is actually an advantage now. Leeds looked match sharp, hungry and of course played the conditions superbly while Saints looked like we were still basking in the Spanish sunshine. I also believe scoring that early try was the worse thing that could have happened to us - complacency seemed to sweep through the team whilst Leeds upped another gear. That said, we have no god given right to win finals as those older ones amongst us will know and since the introduction of the play offs its ultimately about who performs in the one off occasion - a 23 match unbeaten run during ther regular season counts for nothing. But we'll be back - and I hope now even more hungrier than ever. The complacency has gone. We've had a major wake up call, We'll bounce back.

And for those simpletons who keep saying we 'bullied lesser teams to win two challenge cup finals' - we beat the bigger teams to get there FFS.

I think you misuderstanding my point. I dont think we are failures as we have had a very good year and the team should be congratulated on it.
    Ah okay, it was just that when you said this...

We are more than capable of winning that game and suggestions of mental blocks, bottlers, failures tags are nothing other than silly comments that do the players a great disservice.
    Why are they? When was the last great side we beat in a final? The facts are we have bullied poor teams in the CC final and not cut the mustard against our peers. You can not escape this fact.
    ...it read like you were suggesting those comments were a description that you agreed with

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Powell in disguise
    . The complacency has gone. We've had a major wake up call, We'll bounce back..
    ahh, where have I heard that before. Oh year...after last year.

Behind and,on occasion,in the Mill House.

Having watched Saints through many seasons when we haven't won a trophy and seasons when we haven't ever looked like getting near a trophy I consider any trophy winning season a successful one.I am more gutted,in the aftermath of yesterday's performance,than I have been for a long time but I cannot label this current Saints team a failure or bottlers.We have had a great run of success and I hope it can continue for a long time.

Banned

Ah okay, it was just that when you said this...

...it read like you were suggesting those comments were a description that you agreed with
    I agree with those aspects of the original post. We have bottled it against the top teams in finals. The only finals we have won in the last 6 or 7 years is against gash teams. Its an un-deniable fact.

We were a shambles yesterday! We can blame the weather and the week off but we're supposed to be a top of the league, challenge cup winning team and last night we looked like we were Wigan playing us! Nervous, with no game plan whatsoever
    Your favourite worst nightmare

Example - Wont go quietly

I agree with those aspects of the original post. We have bottled it against the top teams in finals. The only finals we have won in the last 6 or 7 years is against gash teams. Its an un-deniable fact.
    Eh? We beat good Bulls and Hull sides in 2002 and 2006 but have lost two against two excellent Leeds sides. We tend only to lose in big games against good sides so how is that bottling it? We've not been overwhelming favourites for either of the last two Grand Finals so I think you're wrong. DPID has already commented about our Challenge Cup victories and how we've played in those games.

Noooobie

Lets be honest from reading all these posts on here, i agree this our team and i am one of those people who have spent a lot of money this year watching the saints and over the past 20 years, but last night was s**t. i have never seen a team blow it in such a big way. The first quater when Graham score i thought this does not feel right, you could tell Leeds were far better even in the early stages. The rain excuses, in some comments it is true both teams were playing in the rain but you could see the better team shining through.

it seems alot of people on here have not got the bottle themselves to stand up and be counted and say they played s**t what a disgrace. No players mentioned but some could not even catch a ball. It made me laugh that some posts make excuses in my opinion for the saints. I agree we are all passionate for the Saints and give recognition were due but this show...well if you honest you will know...

Got A Season Ticket

You can't win them all. No matter how good a team is sooner or later they will get beaten. They didn't loose on purpose to get at us. Some people on here are taking it as a personal offence that we lost. Get over it. It's a game.

Quote Originally Posted by susan070571
    You can't win them all. No matter how good a team is sooner or later they will get beaten. They didn't loose on purpose to get at us. Some people on here are taking it as a personal offence that we lost. Get over it. It's a game.
    But it wasn't 'just a game' it was the grand final and we blew it. We're not taking it personal we're simply saying it how it is from our own points of view.
    Your favourite worst nightmare

Example - Wont go quietly

Noooobie

some people spend alot of money watching and supporting the saints, it is a game like you said, but some people on here have more passion about it than i think you do

Quote Originally Posted by mpw2081
    some people spend alot of money watching and supporting the saints, it is a game like you said, but some people on here have more passion about it than i think you do
    So throwing hissy fits mean that you have more passion than someone else? That's more rubbish than last night's performance.

Noooobie

So throwing hissy fits mean that you have more passion than someone else? That's more rubbish than last night's performance.

hit a nerve, lol

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mpw2081
    How dare you. I have travelled up and down the country, to watch saints for many seasons including this. I paid over £200 for tickets for my family last night. I paid out for the challenge cup and hotels in August and I have just paid out for season tickets.
    I arrange my work schedule so that I can go to matches, I have arranged family parties so that they do not clash with fixtures.
    I have missed 1 home match in the last 3 seasons and that was because I was with my daughter who was giving birth.
    Do not question my love of saints but at the end of the day I accept that it is a game, there are winners and losers.
    I am a nurse, I watch people dying and I watch people suffering from unfairness due to ill health, death etc. Rugby is a game.

In The South Stand Saints-Crusaders's Avatar

I wonder if any other team's fans turn on each other like this ? Not only were they doing it last night at Old Trafford but it happens so much on here.

We have some of the most fickle fans the game has ever known. No matter who goes to most games or who buys most merchandise doesnt entitle you to berate other people for having an opinion
    KNOWSLEY ROAD 1890-2010. A part of history soon to be no more...the place that meant so much to so many people. Farewell old lady, forever in our hearts.

How dare you. I have travelled up and down the country, to watch saints for many seasons including this. I paid over £200 for tickets for my family last night. I paid out for the challenge cup and hotels in August and I have just paid out for season tickets.
    I arrange my work schedule so that I can go to matches, I have arranged family parties so that they do not clash with fixtures.
    I have missed 1 home match in the last 3 seasons and that was because I was with my daughter who was giving birth.
    Do not question my love of saints but at the end of the day I accept that it is a game, there are winners and losers.
    I am a nurse, I watch people dying and I watch people suffering from unfairness due to ill health, death etc. Rugby is a game.
    Well said. At least someone talks sense on this site:saint: