Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Meli to centre?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by All Saints
    My dad (who's 84, pensioners always like to make their age known), said that in the play-off game Leeds targeted Gardener's wing. Aswe know, Gardener has no problem with the high balls, witness his spectacular jump in the 2006 GF.
    Leeds learned their lesson from that and peppered Meli's wing in the GF, and didn't it pay dividends.

in the play off game, they scored 50% of their tries off high bombs to Meli.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker
    Melis is a talented footballer with a fundamental flaw to his game that in a fully professional environment is being cruelly exposed.

The thing about Meli is that he played for many years in the NRL without learning to catch. Eventually this flaw cost him his place and he came to England. If he couldnt learn in Australia, and then in England, its safe to say he has a fundamental deficiency that cant be coached out of him.

Its not nice for him, and i know the players get cheesed off with it, as ive seen the looks and verbals the likes of Wello and others have given him, when he has cocked up.

He has actually done very well to not lose all confidence with the pressure he must feel under. To some extent that is a credit to the man.

However i do feel he needs to be tried as a centre were his catching weakness wont be exposed, and instead he will be able to show off his strength, speed and agility. Either that or he plays as a back row forward.
    Exactly what I said, but using the letters of the alphabet in a different order. Agreed.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker
    Melis is a talented footballer with a fundamental flaw to his game that in a fully professional environment is being cruelly exposed.

The thing about Meli is that he played for many years in the NRL without learning to catch. Eventually this flaw cost him his place and he came to England. If he couldnt learn in Australia, and then in England, its safe to say he has a fundamental deficiency that cant be coached out of him.

Its not nice for him, and i know the players get cheesed off with it, as ive seen the looks and verbals the likes of Wello and others have given him, when he has cocked up.

He has actually done very well to not lose all confidence with the pressure he must feel under. To some extent that is a credit to the man.

However i do feel he needs to be tried as a centre were his catching weakness wont be exposed, and instead he will be able to show off his strength, speed and agility. Either that or he plays as a back row forward.

Excellent Post. Ultimately, Meli has to work on this area of his game. All the teams know he is very vulnerable under the bomb or a cross field kick to the corner and its costing us dearly.