Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19293536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 1

Banned

Ooooh! Traffic cones!!! lol

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I get the feeling anyone who wants to park within ten minutes of the ground is going to end up facing traffic jams of astronomical proportions before and after the game.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    David Howes was CEO under Howard Morris IIRC
    So was Mal Kay, in fact, Mal Kay became Vice Chairman and CEO at one point iirc.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I get the feeling anyone who wants to park within ten minutes of the ground is going to end up facing traffic jams of astronomical proportions before and after the game.
    It will be an absolute nightmare.

It will be busy around the mining roundabout, but i think it will be far better than many other grounds eg DW.

I suspect many will park on the various retail parks as well as the town centre car parks, and these have different exit routes available.

It should ensure fans from different parts of town will park in different car parks. For example coming from Haydock i would be most likely to park on either St.Marys multi storey or else go onto the Ravenhead retail park were Halfords is.

People coming from Thato Heath and Sutton would probably park near Frankie and Bennies/ B&Q on St.Helens retail park .

Those coming from Eccleston, Windle way would more likely park on the Tontine Multi Storey and the Chalon Way multi storey

Banned

Part of the plan was for the Council to upgrade the security at the two multistorey car parks at that end of town for use by fans on match days. I don't know how that will work but yes, there could be gridlock. That's to be expected, though, when a sizeable number of people are due through one place at the same time. I can't see how it could be avoided, short of having car parks built along the side of the Linkway.

Perhaps some sort of park and ride facility could be considered from various places

A nice brisk 15 minute walk from home for me.:saint:

Learning All The Songs BubbleSheep's Avatar

If it's going to be anything like the Reebok Stadium car park, that place is unbelievable to get off.
    "Engineers aren't boring people; we just get excited over boring things"

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Perhaps some sort of park and ride facility could be considered from various places
    A park and ride from Southport sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by southport saint View Post
    a park and ride from southport sounds good
    indeed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post
    It will be busy around the mining roundabout, but i think it will be far better than many other grounds eg DW.

I suspect many will park on the various retail parks as well as the town centre car parks, and these have different exit routes available.

It should ensure fans from different parts of town will park in different car parks. For example coming from Haydock i would be most likely to park on either St.Marys multi storey or else go onto the Ravenhead retail park were Halfords is.

People coming from Thato Heath and Sutton would probably park near Frankie and Bennies/ B&Q on St.Helens retail park .

Those coming from Eccleston, Windle way would more likely park on the Tontine Multi Storey and the Chalon Way multi storey
    ...........and those coming from my house will walk

In The South Stand

Starting A Programme Collection

this was reported in the star last week

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker View Post

I'm sure the parking on B&Q, PC World, etc will change on match days when they get sick of carparks that are full with half a shop of customers.

I should imagine that a great deal more people will be within a ten to fifteen minute walk of the new stadium than KR.

The Chairmaker is just plain scaremongering with his misfounded self belief of supreme knowledge, again, especially regarding people from Sutton parking at Frankie and Benny's: why on earth would they drive up Robin's Lane, down Scorecross, Burtonhead Road to F&B's just to walk back to Peasley Cross Lane when they can just walk up Sutton Road direct to Peasley Cross Lane? It's like someone from Denton's Green driving over to Toll Bar to walk to KR.

Similarly, why would people from Thatto Heath drive when it's a ten to fifteen minute walk? Do people from Thatto Heath drive to KR? The new stadium is probably closer for most Theathers.

But no doubt the bloke who has never lived in St Helens will tell me that I, who lives equidistant from KR and the new gaff, is wrong to dispute the geography that surrounds me.

Oh, by the way Chairmaker. B&Q is on Ravenhead Retail Park and Halfords is on St Helens Retail Park: which sums up my post succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Number Two View Post
    I should imagine that a great deal more people will be within a ten to fifteen minute walk of the new stadium than KR.
    When ISSA did the survey for the 1999 failed bid, they found that 66% of fans where from Eccleston and Haydock, 33% each both towns opposite sides of the town.

The rest were scattered across the other suburbs which would mean that as the ground is more central than before more people will be closer to the stadium than ever before. Those we lose from Eccleston, we gain from Haydock and that side of town.

Its not going to make much difference, to me, I travel Southport to Ashton in Makerfield to pick up my dad and then to Saints and back home, if I can do that each week then people can get from eccleston to the town centre, if they can't then good riddance.

In The South Stand

Most of St Helens will be one bus ride away, no excuse not to turn up, even in bad weather.
    Last edited by doghead; 24th March 2010 at 11:28.

Ten minutes walk for me. Rain, hail or shine

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish View Post
    When ISSA did the survey for the 1999 failed bid, they found that 66% of fans where from Eccleston and Haydock, 33% each both towns opposite sides of the town.

The rest were scattered across the other suburbs which would mean that as the ground is more central than before more people will be closer to the stadium than ever before. Those we lose from Eccleston, we gain from Haydock and that side of town.

Its not going to make much difference, to me, I travel Southport to Ashton in Makerfield to pick up my dad and then to Saints and back home, if I can do that each week then people can get from eccleston to the town centre, if they can't then good riddance.
    And where did you conduct the survey?

The Griffin?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Most of St Helens will be one bus ride away, no excuse not to turn up, even in bad weather.
    Spot on, that's what I was thinking. Every suburb in St Helens has a bus service to town and then back again. The bus companies just need to put a few more buses on between 6-7.30 on a Friday night and most people will be able to hop on one and be in town within 20-30 minutes. It'll be so much more easy to get to the new stadium for alot of people than KR currently is.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Spot on, that's what I was thinking. Every suburb in St Helens has a bus service to town and then back again. The bus companies just need to put a few more buses on between 6-7.30 on a Friday night and most people will be able to hop on one and be in town within 20-30 minutes. It'll be so much more easy to get to the new stadium for alot of people than KR currently is.
    What about the return journey Gray77?
    Will the bus companies run buses from 10.00 to 11.30 to ensure those they have taken to the ground get home safely?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by superdom View Post
    What about the return journey Gray77?
    Will the bus companies run buses from 10.00 to 11.30 to ensure those they have taken to the ground get home safely?
    Don't they already? Whenever I come up for a game and kip at mates in Sutton I always know there is a bus back from town until about 11.15pm. I imagine thats roughly the same for other parts of St Helens.

Default what about margs'?

i see no mention on the spec for the stadium development of the relocation of marg's chippy currently located in balfour st.

do we know whether marg will be opening a new franchise round the back of the ground? my 160 mile round trip to watch saints just won't be the same without a bag of margs' chips afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleSheep View Post
    If it's going to be anything like the Reebok Stadium car park, that place is unbelievable to get off.
    It wont be because the stadium does not have a car park, unlike the Reebok which has a massive car park.

Also reebok only has one viable exit route, from these car parks.

The various parking options re Saints new stadium will put you on different roads.

I anticipate it being far easier to get away at the new stadium than is the case with Knowsley road.

For a start more people will probably get the bus as its a viable alternative to the car.
    The train also is a viable alternative for some in st.helens eg those in Thatto Heath