PDA

View Full Version : cost of living!

bazzo
28th February 2008, 13:01
we Brits must be the most gullible bunch of idiots living on gods earth!
the bloody politicians tell us that the cost of living is running at 2.8%. yet all my food, fuel, clothing and all the rest are way above that, Ive just got the latest bill from our good friends united utilities [ the f***in water board when i was a kid] a full 9% increase, now unless god as started charging these basT***s for rain , and they themselves are only paying the 2.8% pay rise to their staff ! where in the world dose this figure come from. Time to act i say kick um in the bo**ocks then shoot the bu**ers. END OF RANT!:mad: :eek:

The Greatest
28th February 2008, 13:12
, now unless god as started charging these basT***s for rain , and they themselves are only paying the 2.8% pay rise to their staff ! where in the world dose this figure come from. :

They do have to treat the water you know. Just pay your bill you pegger. :cool:

rob
28th February 2008, 13:53
There are several different levels of inflation - the Government like to go with the lowest value (which conveniently ignores certain utilities, council tax etc) to help justify poor pay rises to civil servants. The larger one (RPI?) usually runs about 4-4.5% and is considered more "typical" becuase it includes accomodation too (who doesn't need that?!?!).

Funny how policticians always manage to vote themselves pay rises in line with the higher value of inflation though. Just for the record I work in the private sector, and have had just two pay rises in the last 7 years that have come anywhere near the lowest inflation figure!

Trev The Bear
28th February 2008, 15:39
Its called the K factor.*
Its the legal amount by which a company can increase or decrease its average charge above or below inflation each year to finance its services and meet legal obligations.
K factor for 07/08 is 4.40%,this means they are allowed to increase charges for 07/08 by 8.56% .
K factor amount is only used for refurbishment of water mains and sewers.

*According to the worse half who works at UU.

winky
28th February 2008, 16:34
Spare a thought for pensioners...

Cost of living issues for them:

Heating Oil / Gas increased in excess of 50% over the last 3 years
Electricity costs have increased by almost 30% in 3 years.
Council Tax approx 15% over the same period.
Food bills have increased circa 7 to 9% over the last 18 months.
Petrol has increased to almost £5 per gallon.

State pension has increased by approx £2 per week!

Take out the pensioner bit and you can see why life is much harder than before...

What else do we lose....

House prices have doubled in 10 years.... Stamp duty levels has been left alomost unchanged in relative terms to property values over that period.

Worth about £8bn+ in stealth taxes to the Govn.

Your water bill increase is the least of your worries to be honest. It just costs so much more to live nowadays and unfortunately the majority of the increases are tax related.

Answer to everyone's problems..... become an MP.

Almost unlimited expenses and enough corruption to keep you in the high life for years.. Worry about your retirement?? Dont MPs get a final salary pension at 1:45th of the salary which they dont pay a penny towards and we the tax payer pick up the tab for.

When your employer is asking you make a contribution to your pension bear in mind that The Labour Party implemented this change in their pension whilst screwing employers to the wall for trying to provide their employee's pensions when they retire.

Has your pay increases been reduced or stopped? Well that will often be because your employer is securing or making up pension deficits which the Govn tell everyone is really important. Well they are right but also very hypocritical as the biggest non funded scheme in the world is the Public sectors.... what does that mean simply?? There is not a single penny put aside / saved for MPs when they retire. They just get paid out of our taxes.... is that fair? I think not but hey I just cant get elected to the commons at the moment.

With a crumbling health service, not enough dentists, doctors, policemen and policewomen or if you have children.... how easy is it to get them into the school of your choice?? Not enough teachers / spaces available for them hey?
Supplies for our great soldiers, nevermind the offensively small compensation payments to the brave people who put their lives on the line only to be left on the shelf without and decent financial or health support afterwards etc

So on the bright side you now own a previously very badly managed bank which has cost you £3500 that you were not consulted on. Can you flog your share?? dont be daft it's all held by the Govn not you the poor sucker who has had to pay for it.

Happy days in the lives of the tax paying British public....

Anyone not paying enough tax will be delighted that you will be paying an extra 3% as of 2012 if proposals are implemented (not approved as thats all done)

bazzo
28th February 2008, 17:46
They do have to treat the water you know. Just pay your bill you pegger. :cool:

so your saying the stuff they treat the water with must have risen astronomically [ higher than gold] to pass on a 9% increase to us poor smucks. get real they only use a few fluid ounces per thousand gallons!
they are not paying it in salaries so wheres the justification other than shareholders profits.

The Greatest
28th February 2008, 19:22
so your saying the stuff they treat the water with must have risen astronomically [ higher than gold] to pass on a 9% increase to us poor smucks. get real they only use a few fluid ounces per thousand gallons!
they are not paying it in salaries so wheres the justification other than shareholders profits.

A part of it is profits and tbh the % rise is a bit much. Even so, I think you simplify what they do. Their treatment processes are more complicated than lash a bit of chemical in. In addition their gas and electricity bills to run their site will have risen sharply, more often than not they rise more than residential prices.

St Adrian
28th February 2008, 19:59
"And people wonder why the suicide rates are increasing" What I find most strange, is that so many "Europeans" want to get into this joint. I will be only to glad to get out of it

The Greatest
28th February 2008, 20:08
"And people wonder why the suicide rates are increasing" What I find most strange, is that so many "Europeans" want to get into this joint. I will be only to glad to get out of it

Its not strange at all. This country is better than the vast majority of other countries for living in. Just toddle over to a few European countries and live there for a while; you'd come running back from most.

bazzo
29th February 2008, 11:00
my original point was that we brits must be stupid to allow the people in charge to come out with these false cost of living facts in order that employers can offer below inflation pay rises ! this practice as been going on for years we all know its a load of rubbish so why put up with it. and as for "the greatest" theory that Europeans come here because the country's better than their own is probably true in about 10% of cases the other 90%come here for the free benefits that are not on tap in other countries.

The Greatest
29th February 2008, 12:44
and as for "the greatest" theory that Europeans come here because the country's better than their own is probably true in about 10% of cases the other 90%come here for the free benefits that are not on tap in other countries.

lol lol

Almost all developed European countries provide welfare to asylum seekers. Some provide more than us.

ticker
29th February 2008, 14:22
your right bazzo.One of this countrys classics on those lines is that in some cases we give them money for their kids who are not even over here with them.Some even claim benefits for more than one wife.

Saintly Gilly
29th February 2008, 15:12
Slightly OT from original post, but we went round town on saturday night for a meal, then went to a few pubs for a few sherberts. What the hell has happened to town, the pubs are a disgrace, full of chavs in pyjamas, trackies and full of gypsies. There is nowhere to go for a nice quiet drink. This town is going up its own backside, it is a shambles compared to warrington or wigan with the nice new shopping centres, who the hell would want to come here shopping. I am completely disillusioned with this town.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Shakespeare
29th February 2008, 15:15
Slightly OT from original post, but we went round town on saturday night for a meal, then went to a few pubs for a few sherberts. What the hell has happened to town, the pubs are a disgrace, full of chavs in pyjamas, trackies and full of gypsies. There is nowhere to go for a nice quiet drink. This town is going up its own backside, it is a shambles compared to warrington or wigan with the nice new shopping centres, who the hell would want to come here shopping. I am completely disillusioned with this town.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Support the Saints Stadium!

Saintly Gilly
29th February 2008, 15:17
I do support the stadium. BTW what does that stand for in your gidders sig?

Shakespeare
29th February 2008, 15:21
I do support the stadium.

That will then bring a new retail development where Tesco is now.

BTW what does that stand for in your gidders sig?[/QUOTE]

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_would_Jesus_do%3F). Guess what i changed?

Saintly Gilly
29th February 2008, 15:27
Ah! If it ever happens, I hope it does because this town is going down the pan, fast.

bazzo
1st March 2008, 10:07
lol lol

Almost all developed European countries provide welfare to asylum seekers. Some provide more than us.

I personally dont know which country provides what to whom.
but i find it hard to believe that if these countries do provide benefits as good as ours , why do these people pass through these wonderful places to end up on our little island! you may get put in an hostel and given a meal in France. but they dont give you a house and all the benefits the local population are entitled to, if you must make these sweeping statements " greatest"
please provide us with comparable statistics.

The Greatest
1st March 2008, 11:05
I personally dont know which country provides what to whom..

I know. I can tell from what you write.

but i find it hard to believe that if these countries do provide benefits as good as ours , why do these people pass through these wonderful places to end up on our little island!.

They dont and if they are found to have they are refused asylum on these grounds. FWIW, by far the majority of asylum seekers go to Pakistan.

if you must make these sweeping statements " greatest"
please provide us with comparable statistics.

oh the irony. Your making statements based on no facts at all (you even admit this in your first line of your post) and then accuse me of sweeping generalisations.

you may get put in an hostel and given a meal in France. but they dont give you a house and all the benefits the local population are entitled to, .

Firstly, in this country you arent entightled to get what benefits the local population get.

Now onto othe rcountries - Figures are a couple of years old but asylum seekers in France got a one off sum of $280 and then a personal allowance of $250 per month. Austrians give over $300 per month. We give $176 per month which im pretty sure most of it isnt cash but is vouchers. But yeah....they cream us more than anyone else.

McClennan
1st March 2008, 11:11

It all went downhill when they started allowing people in pubs wearing jeans in 2001. It should be suits, shirts and ties only!

The Greatest
1st March 2008, 11:13
It all went downhill when they started allowing people in pubs wearing jeans in 2001. It should be suits, shirts and ties only!

aye

and only people with a sensible haircut too. None of these long haired scruffy hippys.

bazzo
1st March 2008, 14:12
I know. I can tell from what you write.

They dont and if they are found to have they are refused asylum on these grounds. FWIW, by far the majority of asylum seekers go to Pakistan.

oh the irony. Your making statements based on no facts at all (you even admit this in your first line of your post) and then accuse me of sweeping generalisations.

Firstly, in this country you arent entightled to get what benefits the local population get.

Now onto othe rcountries - Figures are a couple of years old but asylum seekers in France got a one off sum of $280 and then a personal allowance of $250 per month. Austrians give over $300 per month. We give $176 per month which im pretty sure most of it isnt cash but is vouchers. But yeah....they cream us more than anyone else.

I'm sorry the way i write is not up to your standard, .
i think your avatar says a lot about you "GREATEST"

The Greatest
1st March 2008, 16:50
I'm sorry the way i write is not up to your standard, .
i think your avatar says a lot about you "GREATEST"

Its not the way you write its what you write.

You admitted in your post that you havent got a clue about different countries asylum policies (and theres nothing wrong with that).

But then you went on to slate our country and how we give more out than anyone else.

Does this not strike you as odd that despite not knowing anything about what other countries do you still say that we provide more to asylum seekers?

Laney
1st March 2008, 22:53

You admitted in your post that you havent got a clue about different countries asylum policies (and theres nothing wrong with that).

But then you went on to slate our country and how we give more out than anyone else.

Does this not strike you as odd that despite not knowing anything about what other countries do you still say that we provide more to asylum seekers?

Theres some information on this site about Asylum Seekers.

http://languages.refugeecouncil.org.uk/pdf/English/Appl_for_asylum_support-English.pdf

bazzo
2nd March 2008, 09:06

to return to the original point of my post [ inflation] you yourself made assumptions [ie the cost of gas, electricity, chemicals,] to justify a 9% rise in the cost of water. I could say you didn't have a clue because your not in a position to know the breakdown of U.U. costings and pricing policies,
So get off you high horse ! i made the assumption that a %age of Europeans made their way to this country for financial benefits just like you made the assumption that U.U where completely justified in their latest inflation busting rise.
The difference was i didn't tell you that you didn't know what you where writing about .

The Greatest
2nd March 2008, 09:23
to return to the original point of my post [ inflation] you yourself made assumptions [ie the cost of gas, electricity, chemicals,] to justify a 9% rise in the cost of water. I could say you didn't have a clue because your not in a position to know the breakdown of U.U. costings and pricing policies,
So get off you high horse ! i made the assumption that a %age of Europeans made their way to this country for financial benefits just like you made the assumption that U.U where completely justified in their latest inflation busting rise.
The difference was i didn't tell you that you didn't know what you where writing about .

A nice little theroy. Sadly for you (and me), I deal with UU in my job so I know full well what they do. As for my assumptions, they were not. The gas, electricity and chemicals that they use DO cost more. No assumption about it.

In addition, I never said that their above inflation rise was justified. I just said that they do a lot more complicated things than catch free rainwater and then sell it on.

bazzo
2nd March 2008, 09:39
A nice little theroy. Sadly for you (and me), I deal with UU in my job so I know full well what they do. As for my assumptions, they were not. The gas, electricity and chemicals that they use DO cost more. No assumption about it.

In addition, I never said that their above inflation rise was justified. I just said that they do a lot more complicated things than catch free rainwater and then sell it on.

we are all aware that businesses have running costs and that said cost rise. but so do family's costs and my running cost have to stay in line with the current official inflation rate , for you to justify this 9% rise on increased fuel price rises etc. is frankly laughable and most people would say that it is a private business run on the principles of profit I now pay almost has much for water as my gas and electricity combined . And as you say you are involved with U.U. you must be aware of the above inflation rises that this company as IMPOSED over the last 20 years. can you tell us how much profit this company made this last 5 years/

The Greatest
2nd March 2008, 09:57
we are all aware that businesses have running costs and that said cost rise. but so do family's costs and my running cost have to stay in line with the current official inflation rate

I completely agree.

for you to justify this 9% rise on increased fuel price rises etc. is frankly laughable

Only I didnt justify it. I did say it was a bit much but at the same time I pointed out that UU do have plenty of costs that people perhaps dont appreciate. What people also dont appeciate is gas and electricity has been going up now for a few years. As a residential customer you probably wont have noticed it until now. The reason for this is Industry / business (including UU) have been bearing the brunt of the rises to shield residential customers from rises.

I now pay almost has much for water as my gas and electricity combined.

You must either have very cheap gas and Eleccy or very dear water. I can only speak for myself but my water is about £29 per month and gas and Eleccy combined £94.

And as you say you are involved with U.U. you must be aware of the above inflation rises that this company as IMPOSED over the last 20 years. can you tell us how much profit this company made this last 5 years/

I dont work for UU or know their financials. I work in industrial manufacture of chemicals. What I do know about UU is that they are constantly under pressure from the environment agency regarding improving treatment processes and we work with them on this. All of it costs money.

bazzo
2nd March 2008, 10:09
I completely agree.

Only I didnt justify it. I did say it was a bit much but at the same time I pointed out that UU do have plenty of costs that people perhaps dont appreciate. What people also dont appeciate is gas and electricity has been going up now for a few years. As a residential customer you probably wont have noticed it until now. The reason for this is Industry / business (including UU) have been bearing the brunt of the rises to shield residential customers from rises.

You must either have very cheap gas and Eleccy or very dear water. I can only speak for myself but my water is about £29 per month and gas and Eleccy combined £94.

I dont work for UU or know their financials. I work in industrial manufacture of chemicals. What I do know about UU is that they are constantly under pressure from the environment agency regarding improving treatment processes and we work with them on this. All of it costs money.

my manweb bill for gas and electricity combined is £41 per month =£492 per annum [ my wife and i do try to help the environment as much as we can]
my water is £44 pe month by 10 months =£ 440 [ this is out of our control]
now before privatisation of water my old water bill was a fraction of my annual outlay at around £ 40 per annum, so in my eyes U.U. is ether a very badly managed business or its making huge profits a few years ago they imposed a 20% increase and justified it by improving the pipe network.

The Greatest
2nd March 2008, 10:11
my water is £44 pe month by 10 months =£ 440 [ this is out of our control]

:eek:

christ on a bike I thought mine was high lol

Trev The Bear
2nd March 2008, 10:11
Would this not be easier over MSN?lol

bazzo
2nd March 2008, 10:20
:eek:

christ on a bike I thought mine was high lol

now perhaps you understand the rant there are only the 2 of us
but we pay as much as our next door neighbours and they have 3 teenagers.
but i would advise you to link up with Scottish power [ go on line another 10% saving] for your gas and eleccy, my bills halved , unfortunately U.U. have a monopoly and charge what they want,

Shakespeare
2nd March 2008, 11:08
now perhaps you understand the rant there are only the 2 of us
but we pay as much as our next door neighbours and they have 3 teenagers.
but i would advise you to link up with Scottish power [ go on line another 10% saving] for your gas and eleccy, my bills halved , unfortunately U.U. have a monopoly and charge what they want,

They'll use less water.

Laney
2nd March 2008, 11:15
They'll use less water.

:D

bazzo
2nd March 2008, 11:58
They'll use less water.

all girls; i think not

The Greatest
2nd March 2008, 12:44
Would this not be easier over MSN?lol