PDA

View Full Version : Florida/Disneyworld

saintdono
24th February 2008, 12:30
Hi guy's i am going to Florida in november and just wondered if any of you could tell me some different things to do or go too apart from the obvious Disneyworld and all of that
The reason i ask is that most of you seem well travelled and any help would be great
Thanks
Shaun

Shakespeare
24th February 2008, 12:34
Disneyland and the Universal parks are a must. Who is it thats going? age? interests?

saintdono
24th February 2008, 12:45
Me and the other half plus two kid's 13 and 9 up for anything

The Greatest
24th February 2008, 12:47

Theres a good swingers club just north of Sand Lake road in Orlando. Try there :)

saintdono
24th February 2008, 12:55
Somebody had to say something like that

Shakespeare
24th February 2008, 12:56

Well the kids will love Island's of Adventure (http://www.universalorlando.com/ioa_index.html). Best thing to do is check out the Tourist guide website (http://www.orlandoinfo.com/index.cfm). I usually go for the parks and the shopping. lol

The Greatest
24th February 2008, 13:05
Somebody had to say something like that

lol

sorry.

Seriously now, went a year ish ago. Superb place. My top tips are.

Dont think Disney is just for kids and Universal for adults. Both are superb for most age ranges.

Plan - I know it sounds un-relaxing for a holiday but planning what you do and when is important especially for avoiding the busiest days. (see tinternet sites)

Dont miss the Spiderman ride at IOA. :cool:

critch67
24th February 2008, 13:05
For cheap tickets go to www.themeparkticketsdirect.com or www.onlineflorida.co.uk and they've got a list of a few other things to do there.

I'm also off in November too!

foot of god
24th February 2008, 14:59
Busch Gardens for me, not as busy more things to see and do. Also, Universal studios, found that better than disney.

Plenty of places to eat along the 192

Bainsey
24th February 2008, 15:45
Me and the missus went to Florida 2 years ago and found Travel City Direct very helpful and saved us a small fortune in the process! :D

Cedarman
24th February 2008, 20:22
Hi guy's i am going to Florida in november and just wondered if any of you could tell me some different things to do or go too apart from the obvious Disneyworld and all of that
The reason i ask is that most of you seem well travelled and any help would be great
Thanks
Shaun

don't know where your stopping but a trip in to old town Kissimee is nice at night time.

be sure to indulge in the 25c bottles of Pepsi.

http://www.old-town.com/

its also on Highway 192. The floodlite mini golf is good to play with the kids.

St Adrian
24th February 2008, 20:59
You could try Cocoa beach, I though this was a good place to go. If your fed up with the wife, you could try a visit to Gaitorland and hope for the best! I did but somebody had already fed them that day!

I liked going to Seaworld to see the famous Shamu, the killer whale.

If you like eating out, there are loads of places on International drive. Try the Aussie steakhouse. I eat a 20oz steak there and was stuffed for 2 days afterwards.

There are plenty of shopping outlets along I4. I got a Hugo Boss suit there. At the mall, I bought a rolex seamaster watch for half UK price.

One thing I enjoyed was a visit to the Titanic museum. This is on International Drive. It was realistic. Your ticket confirms your passenger name on the original Titanic ship. At the end of the tour you find out if you survived or died on the titanic? I felt quite stunned by this

Syd
24th February 2008, 21:17
Thanks
Shaun

I was over there in December, arrived at stanford, got in the jeep ( 5.0 litre tank, never driven anythign so big in my life, pointless vehicle for 3 of us haha ) headed to the hotel on universal boulevard, woke up next morn drove to fort lauderdale and left the yanks behind and sailed into the caribbean. Great prices for doing a cruise from over there, was a real blast, even though we sailed into hurricane olga.
Got back to florida and loved every minute, was sheer fun, but tiring. IOA ( Islands Of Adventure ) was a sensation for me the wife and ickle syd, by far the best park, rides like Spiderman, The Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Jurrasic Park, Some amazing water ride, oh god it was amazing, we got those VIP tickets and just got on every ride we wanted, all in one day ( IOA and Universal and Universal Walk all in one day due to VIP passes ). I found Disneyland HUGE and tiring and actualy quite shyte for rides, great for shows and of course the parades, and castle, and seeing the characters, but the rides were gash. But if you do head up over in disneys resorts you must do the "tower of terror" and the "aerosmith" rde, oh my lord aerosmith is awesome, fast fast fastttttttttttttt. Good music to.

Tons tacky stuff to do like Wonderworks, Gator World, Old town ( mini theme park with rides N gold N car parades N fast go karts), just drive around and be amazed at some over sized things :-)

Water parks galore, out hotel was almost at the side of ermmmm wet N wild I think, not to sure whcih one it was, but looked amaizng, but we didnt venture in as wanted to do the theme parks.
Also you can do an everglades hover boat ride, as the everglades starts in orlando, so you can do that without dirving 5 hours to the real everglades.

Food wise it was unreal, just enormous portion and dirty cheap due to the exchange rate, petrol to was just silly cheap, so much so I started to drink it myself.

End of the day it was just nice to retreat to our hotel, and into the pool and jacuzzi and then the bar, once fed N watered we werent long out our bed's, serioulsy tiring but great fun. Personaly I wished we had done florida first, then the caribbean 2nd, will know for next time.

P.S Watch out for ticket touts on i-drive ( international drive ) they constantly stop you and try to sell you tickets to teh theme parks, dont bother. We found that our hotel concierge ot us great deals on all tickets.

ploughman
24th February 2008, 21:30
i'll echo everything syd said,we didnt do the cruise!,but for something different try boggycreek.airboat rides accross a shallow lake to see the gators.fantastic

saint billy
24th February 2008, 22:24
Go to biggest McDonalds in the world on International Drive. Sell pizza's and everything. ;)

Spider Ski
24th February 2008, 22:45
Go to the massive pitch and putt on International Drive, where you can fish for alligators.

You go around, and there are water traps with baby alligators in. Getting your ball out is amusing.

I'll try and find a website/name for it.

ploughman
24th February 2008, 22:59
i'll echo everything syd said,we didnt do the cruise!,but for something different try boggycreek.airboat rides accross a shallow lake to see the gators.fantastic

www.bcairboats.com

try this

Mike the Saints fan
24th February 2008, 23:06
Go to the massive pitch and putt on International Drive, where you can fish for alligators.

You go around, and there are water traps with baby alligators in. Getting your ball out is amusing.

Just ask the bloke on the left

http://www.kinoweb.de/filme/Gilmore/pix/gilm083.jpg

Sausalito
24th February 2008, 23:11
My advice if you go to the theme parks for the rides, get there as soon as they open. The later you go the bigger the queues. :cool:

Busch Gardens is very good but a fair run from Orlando/Kissimee. I have stayed at Cocoa Beach wouldn't recommend it to a family. Let the kids pick what they want to do, you'll enjoy it just as much as them, believe me;)

Shakespeare
24th February 2008, 23:48
Just ask the bloke on the left

http://www.kinoweb.de/filme/Gilmore/pix/gilm083.jpg

'You know that Gator that got your hand? Well I got his head!'

Pirates Cove Adventure Golf is great.

alf wayliner
25th February 2008, 10:28
I liked going to Seaworld to see the famous Shamu, the killer whale.

I didn't enjoy Seaworld one bit. When I went it was soooo full of people as to be impractical to actually get around to see anything stopped there for a couple of hours and then went into City Walks.

One thing I enjoyed was a visit to the Titanic museum. This is on International Drive. It was realistic. Your ticket confirms your passenger name on the original Titanic ship. At the end of the tour you find out if you survived or died on the titanic? I felt quite stunned by this
Wasn't that realistic when I went last year as the actors who they used had cod southern Irish accents rather than a Belfast accent. IMO it's a little bit on the short side for the cost but enjoyable non the less.

Did you go into Ripley's Believe it or Not or Wonderworks? we didn't have the time (the wife didn't fancy it).

Syd
25th February 2008, 12:00
I forgot to add, if you do go to the parks make sure you buy an autograph book, my little lad loved collecting autographs of his TV hero's. Poer Rangers, The Simpsons, Doc form back to teh future, Sponge Bob, Shrek and Donkey, Captain Hook and Mr Smee, Buzz Lightyear and so on and so on.. was even great for me

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/2141905224_51d35fe7b2.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2025/2141104497_0336f141d0.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/2141111517_9e605b8397.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2141095519_f02e99e626.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2080/2141914254_1bd208a32a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2243/2141038229_abcd3818a8.jpg?v=0

This ride is SENSATIONAL http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2141907770_a41bb56ce5.jpg?v=0

BigMatt
25th February 2008, 14:28
Agree with virtually everything that has been said!

Gatorland is a good half day out!

If you go to Old Town Kissimmee have a go on this! Great Fun!! Not a bad price as well for the TShirt and DVD!!

http://www.skycoaster.cc/

Aerosmith and Tower of Terror at Disney are really good rides!!

Make sure you use the queing systems wisely - Aerosmith gets full quickly!

Food is dirt cheap and lots of it for the price!

We stayed in a villa 45 mins drive from Orlando, but it was really nice to go back to a "house" at the end of the day and not be limited to one or two rooms in a hotel. It was a bit like home from home. Would always go for a Villla again!

Will return in a couple of years!!!

:D

jill
25th February 2008, 19:18
im going in september :D with supersaint... i cant wait!
i have got it all planned totally

go on www.thedibb.co.uk - its a good link and has loads of forums on it where you can find all details and everything.

where about are you thinking of staying?!

saintdono
25th February 2008, 19:30

go on www.thedibb.co.uk - its a good link and has loads of forums on it where you can find all details and everything.

Hi Jill
we are staying in Disneyworld at the movies resort we got a good deal so took it without thinking

St.Rach
25th February 2008, 20:43

Oh Jill, what have you done that for lol That's another Disney site I'll be frequenting!! I have one I visit every day lol

Not long now and we're there too, cannot wait!

Bainsey
26th February 2008, 01:52

No need to thank me for my assistance! ;)

St Adrian
26th February 2008, 22:23
[QUOTE=alf wayliner]I didn't enjoy Seaworld one bit. When I went it was soooo full of people as to be impractical to actually get around to see anything stopped there for a couple of hours and then went into City Walks.

Wasn't that realistic when I went last year as the actors who they used had cod southern Irish accents rather than a Belfast accent. IMO it's a little bit on the short side for the cost but enjoyable non the less.

Did you go into Ripley's Believe it or Not or Wonderworks? we didn't have the time (the wife didn't fancy it).[/QUOTE

I wanted to go into Ripleys but her who must be obeyed would not go in. I liked Seaworld if not for anything other than the kids were busy. I would like to go again sometime. We hired a villa on Calabay Park which was brill. Pool, 8 bedded and quite modern. I did a lot of touring but never ventured too far south but wished I had now. I enjoyed the driving. The food was brill. I recon I could live there no probs.

The Greatest
26th February 2008, 22:36
I didn't enjoy Seaworld one bit. ).

Same for me when I went the first time in our hols. It was just one of those days when it was too hot, too packed and the kids were being a pain in the @rse. I went back 4 days or so later but only because I'd pre-booked a meal the month before I went there and had a pretty good day. In all honesty though, when I go back to Florida I could easily drop Sea World to go to some of the other places.

Cedarman
26th February 2008, 23:17
We went and watched the basket ball Orlando Magic v Chicago Bulls. booked the tickets before we left and picked them up at the stadium. Not particularly a big basket ball fan but it was a great evening

iSaint
27th February 2008, 00:28
Great info .. I'm going there for my honeymoon in April ....

Should be interesting

Supersaint
27th February 2008, 18:22
Same for me when I went the first time in our hols. It was just one of those days when it was too hot, too packed and the kids were being a pain in the @rse. I went back 4 days or so later but only because I'd pre-booked a meal the month before I went there and had a pretty good day. In all honesty though, when I go back to Florida I could easily drop Sea World to go to some of the other places.

I don't think you'll find many science conventions out there to entertain you instead of Seaworld ;OD

When I last went I enjoyed all the parks I went too, they weren't too busy was probably the main reason and I got on most of the rides easily enough. The waterparks on the otherhand were chocker and this was quite annoying.

Can't wait to go back though as i only went for a week last time and was ••••ed come the end of it

yennek
27th February 2008, 19:44
a must Gatorland . cypress gardens,silver springs boggy creek airboats.
thanksgiving is last thurs day of November .( bank holiday)