PDA

View Full Version : Good Chippies

McClennan
13th February 2008, 20:04
I've been around the country the past few months with work and have taken that time to sample some chippies whilst I've been about and it's deeply disappointing that, not just around here but in the northwest in general the quality of chippies is pretty poor.

Are there any decent local ones? George's Plaice on Westfield Street, I've found out, was shortlisted for this area's Chip Shop Of The Year and wasn't put forward because the excellent Plaice Station in Warrington got the nod. Anybody been to George's? Is it any good? Any other recommendations from here or out and about the country?

DD
13th February 2008, 20:19
They've all gone to pot over recent times.

There used to be a cracking one in Padgate. The Kabin. Alas they moved in foreign investors and it's all grease and kebabs now. Same can be said for The Fishician on Newton High Street. In fact, if there is a really good one left in Newton, I know not where it is.

The back street ones were always the best and, like back street boozers, they have largely died a death.

You just don't get them like you used to.

McClennan
13th February 2008, 20:22
The Plaice Station in Padgate is superb bud. Recommended. It's actually at Padgate station in what I presume was the old ticket office.

alf wayliner
13th February 2008, 20:59
The Fishician on Newton High Street.
Was always extremely expensive though.

McClennan
13th February 2008, 22:03

Costs an extra pound eh? lol

Greengrass
13th February 2008, 22:51
The "sore finger" brigade have ripped the ar5e out of Traditional British chippies they keep buying them up when retirement time comes. Grantham Rd Chippy in Birkdale "sadfish country" is a good un. So it's all round to Sadfish's then.

Bronco
13th February 2008, 23:59
The Crispy Cod and Chans on Knowsley Road are both woeful for chips - Chans shades that, but the Crispy Cod's fish is good... but alsa, there best stuff is now the chinese: portions arent a great size though.

Shakespeare
14th February 2008, 01:07
Chans is awesome for chinese, so are Master Wok.

The chipmunk on boundry road is ok after they hired a half decent looking assistant. It feels wrong to fund Nexus though.

djgazza
14th February 2008, 01:38
as on another thread nexus is shut

Shakespeare
14th February 2008, 01:39
as on another thread nexus is shut

For a month or two only.

Saint Bert
14th February 2008, 09:36
There is a chippy at the bottom of the Great Orme by the tram car in Llandudno, that is very nice.

Also a good one just outside of Queensferry.

There is always the one that is open till 3 AM in Blackpool, many a coach trip feed had their and as far as I know stil going, opposite Bonny St Carpark, white building that you have to go up a flight of stairs to get to.

There is a decent old fashioned back street gaff just on the edge of Chester, although I am sorry to say I do not know the address

As has been said, most traditional chippies have now been taken over by kebab shops and pizza places, same as traditional boozers have been replaced with Lloys and Wetherspoons. Funny how people don't miss them till they are all gone!

BigKevIro
14th February 2008, 10:05
Pity Alf Derbyshire's is shut now! He used coal & wood fired boilers and was on the site of the Crispy Cod, bet he's turning in his grave! Only the older members will know of this one!!
p.s. he had more hair coming out of his ears than some have on their head! LOLOL

Geoggy
14th February 2008, 10:48
if you are ever in Fife the best fish and chip shop in the UK is in Anstruther.

alas, since "fish cock?" sold up at haresfinch the fish and chip are not that great in there now. but it used to be the best in 'tellins.

DD
14th February 2008, 11:07

Not in my lifetime it's never been.

Used to be our school dinner place that, and it was one of the cheapest around.

It's still very reasonably priced now. Sparse portions mind!

Frank Lebeouf
14th February 2008, 11:36
I have to agree with McClennan The Plaice Station in Padgate is superb, also Don Werhnam's opposite Warrington Hospital is quality. Mike and Martha's taste's nice about 2,00 in the morning but I cant vouch for it when im sober lol lol lol

Greengrass
14th February 2008, 12:51
Pity Alf Derbyshire's is shut now! He used coal & wood fired boilers and was on the site of the Crispy Cod, bet he's turning in his grave! Only the older members will know of this one!!
p.s. he had more hair coming out of his ears than some have on their head! LOLOL

Was in there one night he looked too weak to stoke the range I nearly offered to throw a few shovels of coal on for him, nice fish and chips though.:D

Saint Bert
14th February 2008, 12:52
Mike and Martha's taste's nice about 2,00 in the morning but I cant vouch for it when im sober lol lol lol

Well you certainly won't go hungry there!

The old rule, always buy large from a chippy you go to for the first time in case it is small portions certainly is not required lol lol

Anyone remember the crappy little one across the road from Naughton Park, it was doing a roaring trade until all in the queue saw the fella serving butter a barm cake and then wipe the butter off the knife with his fingers and subsequently suck the remains of the butter of them. Never seen a queue empty as fast lol

gateaux
14th February 2008, 13:01
The Crispy Cod and Chans on Knowsley Road are both woeful for chips - Chans shades that, but the Crispy Cod's fish is good... but alsa, there best stuff is now the chinese: portions arent a great size though.The Crispy Cod is awful, it used to be good but in recent years it has gone down hill fast.

The Chipmonk is the best Chippy I have found in St Helens

Div
14th February 2008, 14:03
I think The Chipmonk is the best in town.

I like chinese take away meals but they have never mastered the art of the chip.

Bretts in Headingley is a fav.

Saint Bert
14th February 2008, 14:18

I like chinese take away meals but they have never mastered the art of the chip.

Bretts in Headingley is a fav.

No fecking peas d1ckhead :eek: :eek: :mad:

Div
14th February 2008, 14:37
No fecking peas d1ckhead :eek: :eek: :mad:

The one in the side street isnt Bretts.

DD
14th February 2008, 15:19

Not been for ages. Used to be great when I was at college, but that was 18 years ago!

Must have been about twice since.

Ronny Zamora
14th February 2008, 15:38
if you are ever in Fife the best fish and chip shop in the UK is in Anstruther.

alas, since "fish cock?" sold up at haresfinch the fish and chip are not that great in there now. but it used to be the best in 'tellins.
Yes - I have been to the Anstruther Fish Bar too. Had to queue for about 40 mins (and not cheap) but well worth it. Ate them on the beach (surely the best plaice - boom!boom!).
More locally - try The Swan Chippy - just off the back of Lord Street in Southport. You can take away or eat in with waitress service, tea, bread and butter etc. Well worth a go next time you're in Southport.

McClennan
14th February 2008, 17:17
More locally - try The Swan Chippy - just off the back of Lord Street in Southport. You can take away or eat in with waitress service, tea, bread and butter etc. Well worth a go next time you're in Southport.

I've heard that's supposed to be reasonably good. Has anyone actually been to George's Plaice on Westfield Street then?

Div
14th February 2008, 17:36
Why the sudden obsession with chippies ? Thought pies were more up your street lol

McClennan
14th February 2008, 18:15
Why the sudden obsession with chippies ? Thought pies were more up your street lol

I'm more into fish pops :D

Bronco
14th February 2008, 18:46
For a month or two only.

how are you funding Nexus?

Sadfish
14th February 2008, 19:07
I'm more into fish pops :D

:???::rolleyes:

alf wayliner
14th February 2008, 23:09
Not in my lifetime it's never been.

Used to be our school dinner place that, and it was one of the cheapest around.

It's still very reasonably priced now. Sparse portions mind!
Well as much as you'd like to think that I'm so much older than you that I live in a different epoch I'm not.

When I was on the tools Newton was my patch and this is only a matter of 12 or so years ago. As much as he did good fish and chips he was expensive. Given that Newton telephone exchange (where I would actually eat my lunch) is at the end of the high street and within easy reach of that particular establishment, it was a much more beneficial excercise financially to go to Davids pie shop, the Trawlerman or even to Mary's on Tickle avenue rather than spend the extra cash in there. He was dear unless you were juts having chips....... FACT!

ploughman
17th February 2008, 13:30
chipmonk on boundary road is my favourite in st.helens.its owned by the same guy who owns nexus,but i,d have thought a small chippy wouldnt fund a big nightclub.the swan in southport is excellent also.here in rainford 'the village chippy' has just opened in the middle of the village,well worth a try.

Syd
19th February 2008, 14:46
Crispy cod is a sensation. The english is grea,t always a good chip on offe,r plenty of potato none f these scraps and bits some chippies offer. But also the greek choice is superb, the chinese is fab, they do a sensational "salt N pepper meat balls"...also now offer hot dogs and pizzas. Also they offer smaller bites.

Superb chippy, superb indeed.

Beetle!
19th February 2008, 17:20
I've heard that's supposed to be reasonably good. Has anyone actually been to George's Plaice on Westfield Street then?

I've been to george's plaice, its a fairly reasonable chippy, prices are fair, fish is great and the chips weren't bad either.

Tony Stark
19th February 2008, 18:22
My nan used to take me in George's (or was it Huxleys?) and they were always very good quality. Can't vouch for the fish as i don't touch the stuff but the old folks that filled the place seemed to enjoy it immensly. That was some years ago now though.

McClennan
20th February 2008, 20:47
Found this little gem, just outside Leeds, Farndale’s (http://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/farndales/). Highly recommended, on the way to Castleford from Leeds and just off junction 30 of the M62.