PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Parking

St Adrian
3rd February 2008, 14:10
The new season is upon us and this year I am until June that is going to be ecconomising and so using my motorbike to travel to both home and away games. Can you tell me where is best to park a motorbike at St Helens and other stadiums. I know were to park at Warrington but the rest are just a mistery. Not many recognised motorbike parking signs.

bongo
3rd February 2008, 15:01
they used to let you put bikes just inside the main entrance off dunriding lane. not sure now though. you might find a slot on the black bull car park

alf wayliner
3rd February 2008, 16:06
Do you really want me to tell you where you can park your bike? :D

Two Wheeled Saint
3rd February 2008, 21:59
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/TWS12345/Oops.jpg
I won't

Agent Mulder
3rd February 2008, 22:42
I won't

That thing looks like a giant Ladybird. :eek: ;)

alf wayliner
3rd February 2008, 23:33
I won't
What happened there and, more importantly, any damage to the rider?

Noah Sleeroader
4th February 2008, 01:39
The new season is upon us and this year I am until June that is going to be ecconomising and so using my motorbike to travel to both home and away games. Can you tell me where is best to park a motorbike at St Helens and other stadiums. I know were to park at Warrington but the rest are just a mistery. Not many recognised motorbike parking signs.

You are a biker bud. We park where the hell we wish. lol lol

Noah Sleeroader
4th February 2008, 01:45
I won't

Expensive job mate & it's a glorious, gorgeous Honda as well. Tragic, bloody tragic, sob, sob. :( :eek:

Greengrass
4th February 2008, 09:15
I won't

After something similar I enjoyed the flight while it lasted but the landing was bumpy and the three months in hospital a pain.lol lol

Two Wheeled Saint
4th February 2008, 18:04
I rolled over the top of a Ford Ka and landed on the kurb, just pride hurt. A couple of seconds mis judgement, first accident in 25 years of riding that was blatantly my fault.
Insurance company have it now, just hope to hell they don't write it off, it's a fantastic ride with only 22 K on the clock (02 plate)

alf wayliner
4th February 2008, 18:26
I rolled over the top of a Ford Ka and landed on the kurb, just pride hurt. A couple of seconds mis judgement, first accident in 25 years of riding that was blatantly my fault.
Insurance company have it now, just hope to hell they don't write it off, it's a fantastic ride with only 22 K on the clock (02 plate)
If there's no structural damage perhaps you can buy it back from them and get the pastics sorted yourself. I had a mate who did that and saved himself a packet and he ended up with a rebuild and fresh paint job on a bike he knew well.

Last time I came off on one of mine was a couple of years ago on the GS850. Coming out of work in town I was riding past Wetherspoons and I'd left the side stand down, I manouvered to the nearside to allow a bus to pull out and the side stand dug in and brought me down. Only doing about 5 miles an hour but the noise bought the whole of town to look, It wrecked the fairing I had on at the time, but the bike took no damage. Managed to pick up a full touring set off ebay for £50 to replace it, but it is still sat in the garage waiting to be painted, along with 5 other bikes in various stages of rebuild.

St Adrian
4th February 2008, 19:34
On to the topic. I just dont want to park anywhere. If we go to Saints, can we just park inside the car park area and will they allow this. Likewise, if we have traveled to other grounds, its them i want to know about really.

Alf, I want to know these things. If I go by car, the traffic is heavy at times. Its easy to park the car but less security on the bike hence why i m asking. If you are familiar with the secure parking locations, then thats all I was asking.

Sorry to hear of your accident Two Wheel Saint. Hope you get sorted inthe end. Looks like a good bike and as Noah says, a Honda as well. Is it a VRF?

alf wayliner
4th February 2008, 20:02
Alf, I want to know these things. If I go by car, the traffic is heavy at times. Its easy to park the car but less security on the bike hence why i m asking. If you are familiar with the secure parking locations, then thats all I was asking.

You could always park it on that sense of humour bypass you've had built, that's a joke by the way, in much the same vein as the previous post was hence the smiley.

I don't know of any rugby or football stadia that provide dedicated motorcycle parking. The nearest to it I've seen is the CoMS which has push bike stands which are utilised by motorcycles.

I'm sure if you're prepared to pay the same rate as a car they'll let you park on a club car park, this, however, defeats the object of using the bike as you'll still be stuck in the traffic getting out of the car park after the game as they won't allow movement away for some time after the final hooter and it's impossible to filter through the bumper to bumper tin cans coming off a car park.

Best bet is to find a substantial piece of street furniture near the ground and chain your bike to it, chances are it'll be just as secure as any "secure" parking if you've got a decent chain.

Two Wheeled Saint
4th February 2008, 22:41
Is it a VRF? Yes mate, had to be a Red V fr ;) As for parking I've had no trouble but I made sure it's been chained to something BIG and heavy ;) these Mancs get everywhere :saint:

St Adrian
6th February 2008, 11:07
I will e-mail the club we are due to play and ask them and post the replies ahead of the game, if I get one that is. I am minded that at St Helens, i can go by car and park locally.

St Adrian
6th February 2008, 18:25
If there's no structural damage perhaps you can buy it back from them and get the pastics sorted yourself. I had a mate who did that and saved himself a packet and he ended up with a rebuild and fresh paint job on a bike he knew well.

Last time I came off on one of mine was a couple of years ago on the GS850. Coming out of work in town I was riding past Wetherspoons and I'd left the side stand down, I manouvered to the nearside to allow a bus to pull out and the side stand dug in and brought me down. Only doing about 5 miles an hour but the noise bought the whole of town to look, It wrecked the fairing I had on at the time, but the bike took no damage. Managed to pick up a full touring set off ebay for £50 to replace it, but it is still sat in the garage waiting to be painted, along with 5 other bikes in various stages of rebuild.

I had a some damage to my bike when i left it on the side stand facing down hill whilst putting my helmet on. It rolled forwards and fell and damaged the plastics but i managed to get the chips away guy to do a quick local paint job and its like new again. Have you thought of them as they did mine for £75.00

St Adrian
6th February 2008, 18:31
Yes mate, had to be a Red V fr ;) As for parking I've had no trouble but I made sure it's been chained to something BIG and heavy ;) these Mancs get everywhere :saint:

Sorry about the typo VFR. Nice bike and quite smooth to ride. My mate has a silver one. i have had a blast on it and was well impressed.

I going to change my bike next year but need to gain a little more experience first. i am doing the Isle of Man tour ride in may this year which at the end has exams with ROSPA. I am looking forward to that as with winter and not that good of a year weather wise last year, I did not get the fullest of use from my bike.

alf wayliner
6th February 2008, 18:49
I had a some damage to my bike when i left it on the side stand facing down hill whilst putting my helmet on. It rolled forwards and fell and damaged the plastics but i managed to get the chips away guy to do a quick local paint job and its like new again. Have you thought of them as they did mine for £75.00
I had a GPZ500 which was a brilliant commuter but very light and it had a tendency to blow over in strongish winds when on the side stand. Knackered the fairing and cost me a small fortune in mirrors. I didn't bother getting the plastics fixed I just ran it into the ground and eventually sold it on Ebay a few months ago as I can't ride a smallish sports bike due to my dodgy knee.

All my bikes are "classics" with the newest one being a 1985 GSX550 so I'm more of a hands on kind of guy as they are all in various states of repair. The last couple of years have been a bit funny due to having the knee replacement and being tied up at work so they've all been off the road whereas usually I have at least two rideable at anyone time. I'll be gettong the Beemer through it's MOT next week and I'll be selling that one on as I can't get my foot up under the right hand cylinder head to operate the brake due to the knee so that'll be one less for the wife to moan about.

I'm looking to get myself a small powder coating machine as a present for myself. I've got a blast cabinet and I'm getting a new compressor with the money I get from the Beemer, so I'll be experimenting with powder coating smallish items and spraying bigger stuff, it keeps me out of the pub I suppose. When I've done some stuff I'll post some piccies. Hopefully I'll be able to sort those smaller chips and stuff out myself then.

Tony Kay
9th February 2008, 11:21
Did you REALLY get blown off your bike Paul?????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: Come on, you are kidding, tell us..... ;)

alf wayliner
9th February 2008, 20:24
Did you REALLY get blown off your bike Paul?????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: Come on, you are kidding, tell us..... ;)
Come on mate, all that legal training and you didn't manage to read the post properly ... :???: ;)

St Adrian
10th February 2008, 10:44
Here is the diallema, Suzuki Hyabusa or Kawasaki ZZR1400? I have looked at the Yamaha 1300 but have cancelled that out at this stage. Any other suggestions.

Noah Sleeroader
12th February 2008, 02:14
Forget the Hayabusa mate, it's bloody rapid in a straight line but it doesn't like the the twisty bits.

Two Wheeled Saint
12th February 2008, 08:51
The new Fireblade looks pretty

St Adrian
13th February 2008, 08:32
I want the bike to take with me to sunnier climates. Its hoting up in Dubai and i want to do a bit of sightseeing. The only concern I have is maintainance but that should not be that much of a problem if its new. I will look at the fireblade but I want a reliable but also fast machine and something stylish altough I am not a style guru. I will need to part company with my ZZR 600 but I am being offered peanuts for it. Where is the best place to sell it.

Sparky
13th February 2008, 09:34
The new Fireblade looks pretty

The new fireblade is awesome!! The riding position on the 2008 model is a lot more focused than previous years hence i would expect back and shoulder ache after a few hours of riding.

Two Wheeled Saint
13th February 2008, 18:50
I want the bike to take with me to sunnier climates. Its hoting up in Dubai and i want to do a bit of sightseeing. The only concern I have is maintainance but that should not be that much of a problem if its new. I will look at the fireblade but I want a reliable but also fast machine and something stylish altough I am not a style guru. I will need to part company with my ZZR 600 but I am being offered peanuts for it. Where is the best place to sell it.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/bikes/r1200gs/bike_photo_gallery_photos/4.jpg Go for an Adventure :D

Two Wheeled Saint
13th February 2008, 18:51
P.S. My VFR has been written off. £3380.00 Damage, over their threshold of 70% of the book price, so by by VFR.

alf wayliner
13th February 2008, 19:02
Icompany with my ZZR 600 but I am being offered peanuts for it.
I did warn you about buying new. How much are you looking to get for it, I might be interested in a run about?

I want the bike to take with me to sunnier climates. Its hoting up in Dubai and i want to do a bit of sightseeing
Thats going to make for expensive sightseeing. How long are you going to be over there for, as there are bike rentals in Dubai that would cost as much as shipping your lump over there would be. Also Riding around on a bike with a helmet on and leathers etc in hot weather isn't the experience you'd think it was and if your planning on riding over there without a lid or protection then you need your bumps feeling!

St Adrian
20th February 2008, 14:03
How much is it worth? I paid £5200, 12 months ago. Had an accident in my car on June last year and did not drive it for 4 months. Its done about 3k but is immaculate. Where would you advertise it to get shut. I need as much as can get for it as money tight ahead with trip and all that.

alf wayliner
20th February 2008, 14:11
How much is it worth? I paid £5200, 12 months ago. Had an accident in my car on June last year and did not drive it for 4 months. Its done about 3k but is immaculate. Where would you advertise it to get shut. I need as much as can get for it as money tight ahead with trip and all that.
Wrong time of year to be flogging a bike.

As soon as you put the bike on the road you lost nearly £800 that you paid in VAT on the cost price.

I'd suggest if you're looking for a quick sale you're not going realise anywhere near £5k and that £3.5 would probably be hard to achieve.

Lot of competition in the 600cc market and it's a buyers market!

St Adrian
20th February 2008, 14:14
I did warn you about buying new. How much are you looking to get for it, I might be interested in a run about?

Thats going to make for expensive sightseeing. How long are you going to be over there for, as there are bike rentals in Dubai that would cost as much as shipping your lump over there would be. Also Riding around on a bike with a helmet on and leathers etc in hot weather isn't the experience you'd think it was and if your planning on riding over there without a lid or protection then you need your bumps feeling!

I would not dream of riding anywhere without a lid, you cannot in Dubai anyway, its against the law over there. Even the delivery guys wear them and if they could get away with it, they would do.

I am certain that taking my bike for 12 months would be cost effective. Its a 2 year plan and if all goes well, I wont be back in the UK again, well thats the plan anyway.

The bike is a better mode of transport as the roads are snarled up in Dubai and I need to get around. The task will entail being at a set place at a set time and it will be used only to move me but I would like the chance to do a few long distance trips.

As I am out there on 19 March, I am going to consider the cost of hiring a bike anyway and so this might be a little academic. Long term, I do not know what to do with the ZZR though. People I talk to say ride it to Dubai, use it and dump it. Its a thought but a bloody long way to travel but I suppose I would be unlikely to gain a better experience than this.

Two Wheeled Saint
20th February 2008, 14:17
I'm looking for a new bike but I'm looking to go bigger now. I'm looking towards either BMW 1200GS or BMW R1150RT or Triumph Trophy 1200.
Been told to stay away from the Triumph, but they look nice.
I feel the GS (especially the Adventure) are a bit pricey.

Two Wheeled Saint
26th February 2008, 22:45
Update..
I have just bought myself an ST1100 Pan Euro, pick it up on Saturday.
All excited, I want it tomorrow now.

St Adrian
26th February 2008, 23:50
Update..

Congrats mate. I demo rode one of them last Friday. I like the Pan but thought its a little heavy for me at slow speed but apart from that a fantastic ride. The Cops dont use them any more as they prefer Yamaha but I think thats a big mistake. They go for ever and ride well once you get them going.

alf wayliner
27th February 2008, 00:18
Update..
Why is it that every one but me can afford to spend so much on a new bike:mad:

Mind you, if I did have that kind of cash I'd still end up spending it on a pile of junk with the intention of rebuilding it!

Two Wheeled Saint
27th February 2008, 08:24
Why is it that every one but me can afford to spend so much on a new bike:mad:

Mind you, if I did have that kind of cash I'd still end up spending it on a pile of junk with the intention of rebuilding it!
It's not new it's a ST1100 on a W reg (2000) but it will be a workhorse (hopefully no problems)

St Adrian
28th February 2008, 20:09
I always buy new for that reason but I often wished I had not when I come to sell it and get fed up and really annoyed when i get told the PX price. I dont like being kicked in the nutts time after time but i am getting used to it now. I bought a new car in October 2007 and have just been offered nearly half its original sale price which is alarming considering its a Merc.

Greengrass
28th February 2008, 21:18
Cheap cars and bikes

www.expolicecar.co.uk

Never raced or rallied one careful owner.

alf wayliner
2nd March 2008, 10:46
I always buy new for that reason but I often wished I had not when I come to sell it and get fed up and really annoyed when i get told the PX price. I dont like being kicked in the nutts time after time but i am getting used to it now. I bought a new car in October 2007 and have just been offered nearly half its original sale price which is alarming considering its a Merc.
Seriously mate, you've way too much disposable income.

Interesting point on this with bikes, if you're buying a new bike make sure your insurance covers you for the total cost of getting a brand new replacement for the first 12 months. Some policies don't do that and all they'll give you is the market value of your bike, which straight away will be purchase price minus the VAT and on a £5,000 thats heading towards £800.
Don't ask me how I know, but suffice to say I won't buy a new bike!

St Adrian
6th March 2008, 23:20
Seriously mate, you've way too much disposable income.

Interesting point on this with bikes, if you're buying a new bike make sure your insurance covers you for the total cost of getting a brand new replacement for the first 12 months. Some policies don't do that and all they'll give you is the market value of your bike, which straight away will be purchase price minus the VAT and on a £5,000 thats heading towards £800.
Don't ask me how I know, but suffice to say I won't buy a new bike!

Lifes little luxury is all what this is about mate. Your a long time looking at the lid. :saint:

alf wayliner
6th March 2008, 23:37
Lifes little luxury is all what this is about mate. Your a long time looking at the lid. :saint:
I appreciate that, but there's so many little luxuries and so little salary and I'm on a decent screw as well!

Anyway when I get one of the GSs sorted we can have an away day ride out!

St Adrian
7th March 2008, 19:22
I appreciate that, but there's so many little luxuries and so little salary and I'm on a decent screw as well!

Anyway when I get one of the GSs sorted we can have an away day ride out!

Now that would be a fine thing. Do you have a set ride that you enjoy. I am doing the Isle of Man rider improvement course in May with Mike Addison from Wyder Honda and need to get a few miles under the belt before then. i hadly used my bike last year because of my accident in June, my neck movements were restricted for a few months and i found it difficult to ride my bike. I have gone a little rusty because of the lay off.

Two Wheeled Saint
7th March 2008, 23:40
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/TWS12345/97f0_12.jpg
Here's my new bike, what a great ride. Alot slower than the VFR but solid.