PDA

View Full Version : American English

RedVee Admin
30th January 2008, 12:17
Lets face it, it is a separate language and it's really annoying me how it's destroying British English.

For example, in a recent TV advert I was told that a new film was "out on DVD Monday".

What does out mean? Does this mean that the film will be released for sale? If I wish to purchase the film, when is DVD Monday? Is it a recognised day like Pancake Tuesday? If so, what date does it fall on?

Or is it that the American producer of the advert, simply couldn't be bothered to specify "for sale on DVD this Monday".

peter soutos tash
30th January 2008, 12:22
Lets face it, it is a separate language and it's really annoying me how it's destroying British English.

For example, in a recent TV advert I was told that a new film was "out on DVD Monday".

What does out mean? Does this mean that the film will be released for sale? If I wish to purchase the film, when is DVD Monday? Is it a recognised day like Pancake Tuesday? If so, what date does it fall on?

Or is it that the American producer of the advert, simply couldn't be bothered to specify "for sale on DVD this Monday".

you have really got to get out more

DD
30th January 2008, 12:48
you have really got to get out more

Not only that but it was probably the Americans who intruduced things such as no capital letters at the start of sentences and no full stops at the end of them.

Society is crumbling and I reckon Uncle Sam set the ball rolling.

Cedarman
30th January 2008, 12:56
Not only that but it was probably the Americans who intruduced things such as no capital letters at the start of sentences and no full stops at the end of them.

Society is crumbling and I reckon Uncle Sam set the ball rolling.

.......oh how we laughed.

Div
30th January 2008, 14:20
People saying " Can I get ?" Is that one ? Hate it !!

peter soutos tash
30th January 2008, 14:34
"have a nice day guys"

Warks Kev
30th January 2008, 15:41
Make that 'to go'?

Greengrass
31st January 2008, 11:27
Newkiller,

For some reason the most powerful imbacile in the world who just happens to be American cannot say NUCLEAR.

Sadfish
31st January 2008, 12:49
When I worked on RLFANS I used to put american words in the swear filter, so if anyone wrote "color" it changed it to "colour"

Can't fix the grammar though.

The one thing that bugs me is on software installs where the options are English, or English (English)

I mean ffs.

MARK B
31st January 2008, 14:27
Who Cares?

RedVee Admin
31st January 2008, 14:41
I do. I care that we are being told what to do and how to talk. I will not become a citizen of the 51st State.

little_frank
31st January 2008, 14:50
Newkiller,

For some reason the most powerful imbacile in the world who just happens to be American cannot say NUCLEAR.

Don't you be calling Homer Simpson an imbicile ;)

Kwayle
31st January 2008, 15:34
math

That really bugs me, its just so wrong. Burn them all I say.

Beetle!
31st January 2008, 15:51
Americans are all just so, like whatever huh?

Frickin hate the way they have f*cked the language WE invented right up the 'arris!

Shakespeare
31st January 2008, 19:45
Americans are all just so, like whatever huh?

Frickin hate the way they have f*cked the language WE invented right up the 'arris!

At least you're sticking to the Queen's English?

Trev The Bear
31st January 2008, 21:17
Thats clock face chat innit!

Paul Cullen's Mantra
31st January 2008, 21:26

....I think you answered your own question.....Wasn't that difficult to deduce was it?

Noah Sleeroader
1st February 2008, 02:03

Yea, there's no way that WE would use words from German, French, Urdu, Arabic, Latin, Greek, Hindustani, Norwegian, et al.

aw't lot on yer shud aw lern fort speyk Lanky reyt, fur it's a reet gradely tung sorry.

SaintJose
4th February 2008, 22:13
Calling everyone "guys"! Can't stand it!

Spelling everything that should end with 'ise' as 'ize'.

Tonight on Corrie Sean's boyfriend said, "its called a date, pizza and a movie" WHAT?!!

welshsaint
4th February 2008, 22:59
and since when did we abandon the word "twice" and replace it with "two times" .....:p

Noah Sleeroader
5th February 2008, 01:51

No she is not, she is 25% German. lol lol lol :mad:

Noah Sleeroader
5th February 2008, 02:15

Yes, it is a separate language & should be treated as such in the same way that French, German, Welsh etc. are accepted.
As for "British English" (somewhat of a "Tom Swifty") are you seriously implying that everyone in the UK (England, Wales, Scotland & N & S Ireland) communicate in a common tongue? Lancashire = Essex = Newcastle ?