PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Sporting Moments

Saint Bert
17th January 2008, 16:43
A matter of interest, what are your 2 worst sporting moments, the time when no spin on a result or no matter of how much could be "taken from the game" could make you feel any better.

Rugby

Saints losing to the vermin at Murrayfield, the only time I had ever been to a final EXPECTING to win.

Football

European cup semi final defeats against Leverkusen and AC Milan, not nice losing hundreds of miles away from home.

Reacher
17th January 2008, 16:54
Rugby-

The 27-0 at Wembley in 89. As a 14 yr old it was a long journey back home. The fact that I worked part time with loads of Wigan fans was not nice also.

Football-

The Kung-fu kick season when we lost the league and FA cup in a week. With Cantona we would have walked both. Still have to say that the kick was one of the finest sporting moments ever. He was even fancy when he assaulted a fan!

PS Dave- If you are mentioning football then I suggest you take a day off work to use the computer ;) ;)

Blobbynator
17th January 2008, 17:03
The two rugby ones for me are:

1). Murrayfield - We all went in with an air of confidence/arrogance that we'd win. A loss was not even thought of, we were that much of a certainty. The feeling at the end when we knew it was over was of shock and complete anger at what was a dreadful performance on the day.

2). Leeds 2003 Semi Final - I remember at the time feeling absolutely gutted, first at Sinfield's touchline conversion in the 80th minute and then when McGuire went over to seal it in extra time. I nearly cried that day and it's not often I've felt like that.

DD
17th January 2008, 17:24
With Saints it was the 8-8 draw at Central Park at the end of the 1992-93 season. A win that day and we needed two points at home to a disinterested Widnes to clinch the first Championship for 18 years. A draw or loss and it was out of our hands and you just knew Wigan would not slip up against Wire or Cas.

We totally battered them that day and scored two tries to one but just couldn't get over that line in the second half and spurned numerous drop goal attempts.

The other was the 2003 Semi with Leeds. It was in the bag. We were going to Cardiff but when that touchline conversion went over to level it we could have just left there and then. You just knew.

With City, the numerous relegations don't count because you expect them to come and you are prepared for the worst. The worst moments are when you have a sniff of glory and you fail. Luckily we never blew any of our promotion games but the 1981 FA Cup Final is still the one that hurts me. Oh Tommy, why oh why?

The next worse to that would probably have to be Robbie Fowler missing a last minute penalty to take us into Europe in 2005.

The 93 FA Cup Quarter v Spurs and the 2006 one v West Ham were first rate chokers too. The day out at the Final was already planned both times!

alf wayliner
17th January 2008, 18:09
Liverpool at home to Arsenal in 89 - Never before had I witnessed a Liverpool team who were prepared to accept anything less than a win and they paid the price for Dalglish's cynicism that night. For me if was that night that signalled the end of the Shankly Legacy and not Souness.

2004 at Wigan in the play offs when Millward broke my heart, the ba$tard!

Trev The Bear
17th January 2008, 18:30
Charity Game 2007 - Obvious reasons,ruptured cruciate ligament effectively taking 8 months out of my life.
( You didn't say it had to be proffessional ;) )

'89 CC final - first time at wembley as an 8 yr old,remember this magical experience being over shadowed by the result.

Really jovial topic this turner....nice one :confused: :D

Shakespeare
17th January 2008, 19:05
Spetember 4th, 1998.

Pierluigi Casiraghi circles David James and shoots.

What happened then, stopped my development ever so slightly.

PHIL BABB V GOAL POST.

ti4vpffQFVo

Div
17th January 2008, 19:13
Wembley 1987 and the 8-8 at Wigan.

Tallahassee
17th January 2008, 19:50
:( With Saints,I know we had lost vital games before,but for some reason last years Grand Final did me.In football United loing the league in 92 and having it rubber stamped by the scousers at Anfield.

DD
17th January 2008, 19:54
.In football United loing the league in 92 and having it rubber stamped by the scousers at Anfield.

Ah yes. Saints v Halifax in the Premiership and hearing news of the legendary throwaway being completed on the radio. 25 years of hurt and oh how we bounded up and down on the 51 bus on the way home.

Seems small fry now compared to 32 (40) years but it was enjoyable at the time. ;)

Tallahassee
17th January 2008, 19:59
:p

Dave Howarth
17th January 2008, 20:05
From a Saints perspective, whilst Murrayfield was a major disappointment its not my worst moment. For me getting banjoed by Leeds 70-0 was just awful. It wasn't as if we had a bad team out we just seemed to capitulate and give up that day and its the first time in 23 years I walked with over 20mins left. I was disgusted

The other and probably the one where its the worse I've ever felt after watching a live sporting match was in Gelsenkirchen in 2006 when England lost on pens to Portugal in the World Cup QF. I really thought that England could go all the way despite their sub-standard performances leading up to that game. I felt absolutely desolate when Ronaldo scored the winning pen and we must have stayed in the stadium for more than an hour after the game had finished just staring at the pitch and thinking what might have been.

Div
17th January 2008, 20:18
:( With Saints,I know we had lost vital games before,but for some reason last years Grand Final did me.In football United loing the league in 92 and having it rubber stamped by the scousers at Anfield.

A great day for LUFC. lol

Saint Bert
17th January 2008, 20:25

One Peter Ridsdale lol If only he had been given another 18 months he could have seen the job through.

THELAST3YARDS
17th January 2008, 20:29
Wembley 87 and Murrayfield because I was convinced we would win both.

Other sports - Wimbledon in the Cup Final in 88. Same reason as above.

Tallahassee
17th January 2008, 20:36
'The Crazy Gang beat the Culture Club!'-John Motson...total t@@@@R!

jonnythesaint
17th January 2008, 23:42
Rugby, the CC replay at Saints in about 1993 aginst Wigan, sticks out for me. That was just one of many disapointments.

Football, 1990 world cup semi-final.

RedVee Admin
18th January 2008, 00:05
Football-
The Kung-fu kick season when we lost the league and FA cup in a week
Can you please specify who is the mystical "WE", as these forums are not dedicated to just one football team and I will not allow these forums to become dedicated to just one football team, referred to as the mystical "WE".

ticker
18th January 2008, 00:13
Cant remember which olympics it was but Great Britain only getting the silver in the equestrian dressage section. Football, manchester united v bayern and liverpool v A.C Milan. Both teams outclassed on the night yet somehow managing to win.Heartbreaking.

Noah Sleeroader
18th January 2008, 02:07
'78 final, wembley, "noony" dropping the ball on the line with seconds to go. it was a long, miserable journey home that year.
personally it has to be bu**ering my knee up in the knowsley half marathon 2 weeks before my shodan grading, years of pain & work all gone up the spout. ah well c'est la vie.

foot of god
18th January 2008, 10:09
Low points.

Saints v Halifax and saints v wigan (0-27) both wembley.

As mentioned, the 80th min touchline conversion against leeds, you just knew what was to follow.

Blobbynator
18th January 2008, 11:32
Ricky Hatton losing to Floyd Mayweather. You just wanted someone to knock the smug American b@stard on his ass, but the inevitable happened and Hatton lost. All the hype had ended in round 10. Gutted!

peter soutos tash
18th January 2008, 11:38

the last one..

peter soutos tash
18th January 2008, 11:38
One Peter Ridsdale lol If only he had been given another 18 months he could have seen the job through.

hehe

peter soutos tash
18th January 2008, 11:42
worst sporting moments
1. losing on pens 96 to the germans, the whole country was on a high

2. bobby goulding missed conversion at headingley in the last minute in front of us all to beat the rhinos.

GABBI
18th January 2008, 11:48
Waving Goodbye To Jamie Lyon . God Those Two Years Went Quick.:(

ploughman
18th January 2008, 13:18
27-0 at wembley and italia 90 world cup semi final.

Div
18th January 2008, 14:16
2. bobby goulding missed conversion at headingley in the last minute in front of us all to beat the rhinos.

That was a shocker but hardly a 'worst' sporting moment surely ?

Supersaint
18th January 2008, 15:54
27-0 at wembley and italia 90 world cup semi final.

They would be mine.

DD
18th January 2008, 17:05
italia 90 world cup semi final.

My 18th birthday that was! :(

Saint Bert
18th January 2008, 17:14
You wish!

You mean your 30th ;)

Scouse Don
18th January 2008, 17:34
As an adult with Saints before the last few years you kind of got used to being dissappointed especially during the years when the gooners won everything.But as a kid I vividly remember when a great Saints team lost 5-0 at home in the cup (may have even been holders) to dewsbury (poss huddersfield) big shock cried for days..............

Personally..made semi pro football debut in about 81 (no names to protect the innocent) really hyped up for it.Reasonably big crowd...ref asked me if I was nervous.I said why ."you've got odd socks on and your still wearing your glasses" had to go off to put my lenses in...manager not happy had to put a sub on did'nt even get a kick !!!!!!!!!!!

peter soutos tash
19th January 2008, 13:07
That was a shocker but hardly a 'worst' sporting moment surely ?

probably right div but it was a f##king long walk back to the car

Div
19th January 2008, 13:13
Beating Wigan 75-0

...and I was at Glastonbury listening on my wireless !!!

ex peasley cross
19th January 2008, 19:32
Losing to Wakefield in a challenge cup semi at Headingley. Didnt realise then but the rot was setting in, for the club and the town

bozzy!
19th January 2008, 19:44
rugby - probably when millward got sacked.

football - eventhough i wasnt born, the 1965 european cup against inter milan, the cheating so and so's. Even shankly said you were cheats!

saint_me
20th January 2008, 16:34
rugby - probably when millward got sacked.

football - eventhough i wasnt born, the 1965 european cup against inter milan, the cheating so and so's. Even shankly said you were cheats!

Might sound like a stupid question, but how can that be a sporting low point for you if you wasn't even born??

If we are taking that into account then mine must be the Olympics being cancelled because some inconsiderate Austrian tried to take over the world and started a war. If they had gone ahead we might have even won a gold medal for a change :rolleyes:

fry2
20th January 2008, 16:36
murryfield didnt see a pie eater all the way there then when thet won they all come out the woodwork.

football 2005 fa cup united totally dominated arsenal but yet lost on pens

peter soutos tash
20th January 2008, 19:32
Might sound like a stupid question, but how can that be a sporting low point for you if you wasn't even born??

If we are taking that into account then mine must be the Olympics being cancelled because some inconsiderate Austrian tried to take over the world and started a war. If they had gone ahead we might have even won a gold medal for a change :rolleyes:

hehe