PDA

View Full Version : Lesley Ash gets £5M compo!

Airsporter 22
16th January 2008, 22:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7192605.stm

Leslie Ash has campaigned for better infection control in hospitals
Actress Leslie Ash has won a record £5m compensation payout after contracting a hospital-acquired infection.
The Men Behaving Badly star developed MSSA (Methicillin-Sensitive Staphylococcus Aureus) at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London in 2004.

The payment to Ms Ash, 47, who now walks with a stick, includes compensation for money she would have earned if she had carried on working.

Is it me or this excessive and out of all proportion?
What about the poor guys (and girls) in the Armed Forces getting maimed in Iraq/Afghanistan?

There are lots of stories about severely injured people coming back from there and getting peanuts and left to rot.

It's not right!

THELAST3YARDS
16th January 2008, 22:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7192605.stm

Leslie Ash has campaigned for better infection control in hospitals
Actress Leslie Ash has won a record £5m compensation payout after contracting a hospital-acquired infection.
The Men Behaving Badly star developed MSSA (Methicillin-Sensitive Staphylococcus Aureus) at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London in 2004.

The payment to Ms Ash, 47, who now walks with a stick, includes compensation for money she would have earned if she had carried on working.

Is it me or this excessive and out of all proportion?
What about the poor guys (and girls) in the Armed Forces getting maimed in Iraq/Afghanistan?

There are lots of stories about severely injured people coming back from there and getting peanuts and left to rot.

It's not right!

It's a lot of money but I don't know what kinds of fees she demanded for her acting work. She was in sitcoms and lots of adverts. This incident also happened several years ago so she was in her early 40's.

Her career could have easily lasted another 30 years +

If the law states you are compensated according to your earning power then it seems a figure that she could have made over the course of the timescale above.

ticker
16th January 2008, 23:43
she needs it to buy her lipstick

Scouse Don
17th January 2008, 10:11
It is unfortunate that this is the sort of case that gets the headlines.In this country damages for injuries are relatively low.It is probably loss of future earnings based on her average earnings when at her peak before her illness that has bumped up the award/settlement and possible future care costs.Same for everyone but some earn a lot more than others.

leeroy
17th January 2008, 10:16
The sum is only partly made up of potential earnings , so its not that she would have earnt 5 million. The rest will be compo for having to suffer for the rest of her life from the effect of MSSA.

Greengrass
17th January 2008, 11:28
Apparently it just backs up the old adage "the more you've got the more you get", as was reported in the papers many people have contracted MRSA and got NOTHING.

The Greatest
17th January 2008, 13:55
Its not a hard concept. She could have earned that amount of money had she not been ill. She has therefore been compensated that amount.

As for you LB+B Im sure you have some unhealthy obsession with MRSA.

Syd
17th January 2008, 14:51
she needs it to buy her lipstick

:D love it....

Greengrass
17th January 2008, 16:30
As for you LB+B Im sure you have some unhealthy obsession with MRSA.

It's a pity the NHS hasn't, oh by the way just to keep you informed I have had my knee done unfortunately for you I didn't get MRSA sorry I know you like a good laugh. But before you come back with some bile filled sarcasm I did get an infection in the leg from one of our third world hospitals.

The Greatest
17th January 2008, 17:44
It's a pity the NHS hasn't, oh by the way just to keep you informed I have had my knee done unfortunately for you I didn't get MRSA

Why on earth would I want you to contract MRSA? I

sorry I know you like a good laugh. But before you come back with some bile filled sarcasm I did get an infection in the leg from one of our third world hospitals.

You are a very sad person. You have been fortunate enough to have an operation done free of charge that elsewhere would either not be possible or would cost you a fortune and yet rather than appreciate what has been done for you your opinion of our hospitals being $hite will still be there.

Noah Sleeroader
18th January 2008, 02:16
i think that this mrs a should be found & isolated to prevent her from infecting others. lol lol

Greengrass
18th January 2008, 12:16
Why on earth would I want you to contract MRSA? I

You are a very sad person. You have been fortunate enough to have an operation done free of charge that elsewhere would either not be possible or would cost you a fortune and yet rather than appreciate what has been done for you your opinion of our hospitals being $hite will still be there.

You either have a very bad or very selective memory "the Dirty Butchers Knives thread on page 2" your posts on that thread have been deleted as have mine for some reason.
For your information oh clever one I get Private Medical Insurance with my job so you're wrong AGAIN your big headedness. Why dont you go and have a laugh and nail your kids to the floor or drown a few kittens. Also I have paid my National Insurance for more years than you can count so free doesn't come into it only for doleites like you.

Geoggy
18th January 2008, 12:35
i am biased but this payout is a disgrace.

if we all want mrsa free hospitals then all relative visiting needs to be stopped immediately.

mrsa is carried by all and sundry - only pre screening of everyone entering a hospital can stop it.

what really annoys me about this case is that she was in hospital for broken ribs form over vigorous shagging.

yeah right.

taking 5 million quid from the taxpayers pot is really going to help sort the problem isn't it - particularly if you are a millionaire and desperate for the money.

i wouldn't •••• on her if she was on fire

fye
18th January 2008, 14:51
As for the first comment made about squaddies getting nothing, well after the typist swinddled £240,000 for a strained thumb, and a squaddie lost his legs and got awarded £10,000. We had a leadership type day yesterday at camp and we had too take part in group discussions etc, one of the topics was the Army`s compensation package, it seems now after the press got hold of this, the Armed Forces has decided that any serious injury that happens too a Soliders, thens he`s automatically awarded £280,000 over a period of months too cover his loss and help him with injuries, this all well and good, but as we discussed the topic in more detail we worked out that. ok, its a nice amount too recive, but say the solider had 4 3 kids and a family? Would this amount last him for the rest of his life, (re-housing etc isn`t included in the payout aswel). Should more be done too help these who get injured? No lets pay £5,000,000 to some washed up Actress with dodgy lips. Pfft, makes you f**king wonder, what mind these people have running this country!!!!!

The Greatest
18th January 2008, 15:13
You either have a very bad or very selective memory "the Dirty Butchers Knives thread on page 2" your posts on that thread have been deleted as have mine for some reason..

I really have no idea what you are yabbering on about. Just to clarify though, you wont have seen a post from me wishing someone to contract a serious illness because I dont write things like that.

For your information oh clever one I get Private Medical Insurance with my job so you're wrong AGAIN your big headedness. .

Firstly, you can have private medical care and still end up in a NHS ward. Your paying for the surgeons time and to jump the queue ahead of the ordinary plebs.

Secondly, you still arent paying for your care, your work is so in real terms it has cost you nothing.

Also I have paid my National Insurance for more years than you can count so free doesn't come into it only for doleites like you.

Never been on the rock and roll in my life fella.

Scouse Don
18th January 2008, 16:02
I think the problem is that if you join the army you might get shot at.Leslie ash did'nt expect to have a routine op and end up disabled and disfigured.
Take the point about soldiers compo being too small though.(totally agree)The problem lies with those putting them in harms way without a democratic vote.

Paul Cullen's Mantra
20th January 2008, 17:37
Who gives a sh*t about lesley Ash, her outsize lips and her oh so calm husband?

Cedarman
20th January 2008, 17:42
I think the problem is that if you join the army you might get shot at.Leslie ash did'nt expect to have a routine op and end up disabled and disfigured.Take the point about soldiers compo being too small though.(totally agree)The problem lies with those putting them in harms way without a democratic vote.

.............I agree with you there but if you read consent forms these days then it usually covered in that, giving you the risks factors. So I'm suprised by the amount

Here are some risks listed for Addenbrooke's Hospital

Patient Information Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Very common and common side effects (1 in 10 or 1 in 100 people)
Feeling sick and vomiting after surgery, sore throat, dizziness, blurred vision, headache, itching, aches, pains and backache, pain during injection of drugs, bruising and soreness, confusion or memory loss.
Uncommon side effects and complications (1 in 1000 people)
Chest infection, bladder problems, muscle pains, slow breathing (depressed respiration), damage to teeth, lips or tongue, an existing medical condition getting worse, awareness (becoming conscious during your operation).
Rare or very rare complications (1 in 10,000 or 1 in 100,000)
Damage to the eyes, serious allergy to drugs, nerve damage, death, equipment failure.

Most hospitals have this as part of their consent forms

peter soutos tash
20th January 2008, 19:35
Who gives a sh*t about lesley Ash, her outsize lips and her oh so calm husband?

yeah i mean she must have got a fortune for that chemical brothers video

Greengrass
22nd January 2008, 09:31
I really have no idea what you are yabbering on about. Just to clarify though, you wont have seen a post from me wishing someone to contract a serious illness because I dont write things like that.

Well if it hadn't been deleted I could show you to be talking sh*t as USUAL. Oh and for your information as quoted in the press this weekend that payout to Ash was higher than the total of compensation paid out to everyone else who has contracted MRSA which puts the obscenity of it in to perspective.

Quincy Me
22nd January 2008, 09:39
Personally I think that amount is absolutely ridiculous! Fair enough she deserves some compensation but if I was her the majority of that money would be going to research or improvements for that hospitals infection control procedures.
An another note I'd just like to point out that although people don't believe it, infection control is an obsession in all the hospitals I've worked in, I'm currently training to be a doctor and the first lesson I got was infection control and it is drummed into us every single day. I've performed quite a bit of surgery now and the precautions we make are so extensive they are sometimes longer that the actual procedure. It's a shame that the majority of cases that hit the headlines are bad stories and people completely lose faith in their hospital and care. We don't seem to make the headlines for a success case.

The Greatest
22nd January 2008, 11:11
Well if it hadn't been deleted I could show you to be talking sh*t as USUAL. .

I think someone else is teasing you. This account was originally set up as a spoof Wiganer account to wing people up. I was invited to take over it by the people who created it. Since I have not changed the password at least 2 other people that I know of could if they wanted, log into this account and post on it. I will personally guarentee to you that I did not make those comments. I havent even posted in that thread so that is why I was confused at what you wrote to me. As for the real culprits...I know who they are :D

Oh and for your information as quoted in the press this weekend that payout to Ash was higher than the total of compensation paid out to everyone else who has contracted MRSA which puts the obscenity of it in to perspective.

Thats totally irrelevant. She was compensated for her loss of earnings. If her compensation is high that is because her earnings are high. It really isnt rocket science.

The Greatest
22nd January 2008, 11:17
An another note I'd just like to point out that although people don't believe it, infection control is an obsession in all the hospitals I've worked in, I'm currently training to be a doctor and the first lesson I got was infection control and it is drummed into us every single day. I've performed quite a bit of surgery now and the precautions we make are so extensive they are sometimes longer that the actual procedure. It's a shame that the majority of cases that hit the headlines are bad stories and people completely lose faith in their hospital and care. We don't seem to make the headlines for a success case.

Spot on.

People like LB+B should take note of this. Hundreds of millions of people pass through hospitals every year and only a small fraction of these people contracts something like MRSA. Sadly, people are too stupid to realise this and would rather over reat to a provocative newspaper article than use a little common sense and realise that a huge amount of good work is done.

Reacher
22nd January 2008, 11:49
Since I have not changed the password at least 2 other people that I know of could if they wanted, log into this account and post on it. It really isnt rocket science.

So change your password. It really isnt rocket science ;)

Trev The Bear
22nd January 2008, 12:03
Spot on.

People like LB+B should take note of this. Hundreds of millions of people pass through hospitals every year and only a small fraction of these people contracts something like MRSA. Sadly, people are too stupid to realise this and would rather over reat to a provocative newspaper article than use a little common sense and realise that a huge amount of good work is done.

lol
Somebody is going to slap the taste out of your mouth one day with all this calling people stupid,not everyone is diplomatic you know.

The Greatest
22nd January 2008, 12:13
So change your password. It really isnt rocket science ;)

:D

I know the people who have access and Im not @rsed about them using it

The Greatest
22nd January 2008, 12:16
lol
Somebody is going to slap the taste out of your mouth one day with all this calling people stupid,not everyone is diplomatic you know.

You have to call a spade a spade. If people make stupid comments then they are stupid. When I make comments that other people think are stupid then they tell me Im stupid too....you never see me get a cob on over it. I've lost count of the amount of times that LB+B has made comments like that to me.

Shakespeare
22nd January 2008, 12:21

The other problem i see you facing is from visitors. They bring in a lot of germs with them. How many people actually stop to use the hand washes on every wall in every ward? Not many i bet.

I do wish Leslie the best of luck from now on though. Just an unlucky case thats resulted in a bad way for the health service.

Saints-Crusaders
22nd January 2008, 13:27
If people make stupid comments then they are stupid.

Doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they've either not properly thought out their comment or as stated, just simply made a stupid comment.

I'm guilty on more than one occasion of making stupid comments but i'm far from stupid

The Greatest
22nd January 2008, 13:30
Doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they've either not properly thought out their comment or as stated, just simply made a stupid comment.

I'm guilty on more than one occasion of making stupid comments but i'm far from stupid

Yeah....I'd agree with that. That is actually what I meant even though I didnt write that!!! lol

Everyone writes, says or does something stupid from time to time.

Saints-Crusaders
22nd January 2008, 13:34

I have to say i've been treated and operated on in a number of hospitals and i've never had reason to complain about the conditions of the hospital or the treatment by the medical staff in those various hospitals. I've nothing but praise for the work done by all concerned (although i'll never be a fan of hospital food lol)

P.S. Which hospital do you perform surgery in Annie, just for future reference so i know which hospital to ask not to be taken to in an emergency lol ;)

Cedarman
23rd January 2008, 17:08
................just a though did Leslie Ash ever sue those who bottoxed her lips to death!!!lol

PMSL laughing at this!

The only way this type of thing will stop is when we the public are allowed to sue individual hospital staff members. Only then will these 'caring professions' really care about the welfare of patients. At the moment people like Leslie Ash are left with no option but to sue the health authority which is effectively the taxpayer. Ridiculous when your average quack is paid in excess of 100K per annum!
Derek S, Dundee

The Greatest
23rd January 2008, 17:26
PMSL laughing at this!

When I read comments like this make me think 2 things.

1) I cant be @rsed voting in elections because my vote is effectively diluted down by imbiciles like that guy.

2) I really would cr@p myself if I ever had to stand trial for something because knowing my luck I'd end up with idiots like that in the jury.

Quincy Me
25th January 2008, 09:54
I have to say i've been treated and operated on in a number of hospitals and i've never had reason to complain about the conditions of the hospital or the treatment by the medical staff in those various hospitals. I've nothing but praise for the work done by all concerned (although i'll never be a fan of hospital food lol)

P.S. Which hospital do you perform surgery in Annie, just for future reference so i know which hospital to ask not to be taken to in an emergency lol ;)

Haha! You know you would trust me!

Quincy Me
25th January 2008, 09:55
................just a though did Leslie Ash ever sue those who bottoxed her lips to death!!!lol

PMSL laughing at this!
Ridiculous when your average quack is paid in excess of 100K per annum!

Certainly untrue I'm afraid!

Saints-Crusaders
25th January 2008, 10:30
Haha! You know you would trust me!

As long as it's not the Royal in Liverpool i suppose i'd trust you...................................eventually lol

Quincy Me
25th January 2008, 21:56
As long as it's not the Royal in Liverpool i suppose i'd trust you...................................eventually lol

It's unlikely that I will ever work in the Royal, did a year there and was seriously unimpressed!

Greengrass
26th January 2008, 00:00
Just tell him you're specialising in vasectomies.