PDA

View Full Version : RL v Football

Reacher
11th December 2007, 13:41
For those that may be interested, I have attached an e mail that I have just sent to Utd's main fanzine "United We Stand". I am hoping some parts may be published in the fanzine as it highlights the differences between the sports and whilst I have lost interest in going to Utd anymore.

Have been buying your fanzine since Issue 1 and thought it was about time that I contributed something. You may or may not be interested in the attached, but here goes anyway..!

Coming from St Helens as I do usually means one thing... You are ingrained from a young age to follow the local Rugby League team, who incidentally are current world champions and the most successful team in the summer era. Most Saints fans are Liverpool fans also, however I decided to follow my Dad who was a Utd fan from growing up in the Best, Law, Charlton era and support our beloved club. At school, this was difficult as Liverpool were the dominant force in the 80s and Wigan who were the only professional rugby league team at the time were winning every trophy available. I knew that our time would come, both in football and rugby and the last two decades have been conclusive proof of this.

Some people ask how I can be a fan of both Saints and Utd and devote equal time, love and affection to both clubs. Summer rugby has made this easier, as since 1996, the RL season finishes in October and starts in Feb. I work 3 weekends out of 5 but still manage to attend most home games through leave and other favours. As a Utd member, I used to average 8 or 9 home games a season, which is not too bad considering the military style operation involved of checking which weekends I have off and then applying for tickets weeks in advance hoping not to get the infamous "Chubb" letter of rejection from the club.

As I write this, we are witnessing quite possibly the most exciting Utd team in my history of supporting the club. (My 1st Utd game attended was in 1984) Players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Anderson are a joy to watch and the potential of the team is enormous. However I suddenly cannot be bothered to go anymore. Even when I read that tickets are available for games and I am off work, I just cannot get myself up for it anymore. We all know that the Glazers have ripped the heart and soul out of our club, and the "Love the team, hate the club" ethos has never been more apparent, but I now have no interest in attending home games.

I have been to one game this season (Tottenham) and will probably not go to another one. I applied for tickets online for me and the old man, and after citing West Stand Tier 2 as my first choice, sat back and waited for the reply. No e mail was forthcoming from Utd, however on checking my bank account on line a week later, noticed that £90 had been taken out from the club. I still had no e mail from Utd, so decided to phone up the ticket office to seek clarification. I was then informed that I had been successful in the ballot (sic) and that we were going to be seated in the North West quadrants at £44 a ticket, plus £2 booking fee for paying by card. Where was the £5 off for being a member I asked? "Oh thats the price with the £5 off", I was told. Hmmm cant recall seeing quadrant tickets priced at £49. Never mind, I could not be bothered with the hassle and speaking to employees with a "laissez faire" attitude to say the least.

The game was unspectacular, the atmosphere dire as usual, and we had the pleasure of sitting next to a family who were attending their first ever game, resplendent with merchandise bags, full Utd kits with names on the back and camcorder to film the experience. Whilst not wishing to take away their pleasure in attending their first game, it just brought home once more, what has happened to the match going experience that I once so dearly loved.

Now compare this to my match going experience at Saints. Tickets are always available and you can stand where you want in the ground, whilst enjoying a pint.Home games are played on a Friday night, which apart from this summer which was poor, invariably involves going to the game in a t shirt, enjoying the summer weather. I go with the brother in law and we take it in turns to drive, so that the other can have a few scoops post match. The fans get behind the team and at £17 for a ticket, it represents good value. Now I know that the stadium (for those that know it) is poor and the club are currently awaiting planning permission for an all seater stadium, but compare that price to the price of a Utd ticket.

I sat at the Spurs game and realised that for the price of my ticket, I could have gone to 2 Saints games and had enough money for 2 pints at each one. There are other subtle differences. For the 80 minutes that the game is played, every player puts their body on the line and gives 110%. At the end of the game, every player claps the fans, whilst walking round the pitch. Compare that with Utd where Gary Nev is probably the only one who does this on a regular basis. The rest cannot even be bothered to applaud the fans who are paying a fortune to give them the superstar wages. The top earner at Saints is probably on approx £250,000 a year and thats with endorsements. The rest probably average £40,000 per year. Even the likes of Fletcher and O Shea are probably earning well in excess of that in a week.

After the semi final play off game this year against eventual champions Leeds Rhinos, every player dropped to the floor with sheer exhaustion. They had put their bodies on the line for the whole game. They simply had nothing left. Saints had won 10-4 in an unbelievable game that had everything. The 12,000 crowd had sounded like 50,000. The atmosphere was amazing. One of our players, an Australian centre Matt Gidley had won the game with a try saving tackle whilst playing with half his cheek hanging off. This was just bandaged up and later required 20 stitches. Imagine any of the footballers doing this?? I think not. On a night out, you can also have a bit of banter with the players, and they dont have the arrogant big time attitude. I would be lucky to even say hello to the likes of Ronnie or Rooney on a night out as they would no doubt be cordoned off in a VIP room, not wanting to mingle with us ordinary folk.

It is for reasons like this, that I have lost interest in going to Utd. My love for the team will never diminish. I will always be Utd for life, but the joy of going to the game is now no longer. I am bored with the atmosphere, despise some of our new style fans who berate a wayward pass from Ronaldo, who is quite possibly the best player I have seen for Utd and will be the best player in the world in a couple of years. I cannot be bothered to give my hard earned money to see someone like Eagles, Fletcher or O Shea (who quite simply are not Utd class in my opinion ) strut around the pitch before driving home in their Bentleys. Ferdinand holding out for more money after we paid his wages for a year whilst banned sums up my opinion of modern day footballers.

The problem of going to watch both Saints and Utd is no longer. Now I sit and watch Utd like other arm chair fans, and enjoy watching Ronnie, Rooney et al from the comfort of my chair. I never thought I would turn down the chance of a Utd ticket but have done so this season more than once. With such an exciting array of talent on the pitch and players like Ronaldo doing tricks that other players can only dream about, I still cant get excited to go to the game. This is why I now subscribe to UWS as I cant even buy it at the game anymore.

Our obsession with singing about Scousers is embarrassing. The fact that we have a world class Scouser playing for us, who seems to adore the club and gives his all in every game, seems lost on some fans. They dont sing about us so why make them feel important. I know that this has been debated before, but I still cant understand it.

I can see the attraction of going to watch FC Utd. I know the Wizard has upset some with his comments, but am sorry Sir Alex, I can see why the fans go. A chance to watch a game for a decent price and have a beer and a laugh with your mates. Was that not like watching Utd 10 years ago? Am sure it was. Will it ever be like this again? I dont think so. And that is why as they say on Dragons Den "I'm out"

Reacher
11th December 2007, 13:48
Just received an e mail back saying that they like the article and are going to print it in the next fanzine. The editor is asking for any decent pics of the Saints experience. If anyone has any could you please pm me and I will give you my e mail address so that I can forward on.This will be good exposure for Saints in a fanzine that has a circulation of over a million readers.

Reacher
11th December 2007, 13:55
PS Before you all tell me, I have just realised that I got the semi final score wrong! Oh well!

Div
11th December 2007, 14:27
An excellent piece Stu.

I used to follow Leeds United and did used to attend with mates from St Helens 6-8 home games a season at Elland Road mainly in the 1980's in the old Division 2. ( once I had my own transport) First watched them in season 1973/74 at Highbury.

Playing amateur RL on a Saturday was a major barrier to watching more games but the killer for me was all seater stadia ( atmosphere never the same since), membership schemes and admission prices that are frankly too high.

I have not been to see them ' in the flesh' since the last Premiership season. I will always follow them and may attend games on an occasional basis but until things come crashing down in football ( which i still believe it will eventually ) and the game belongs to the ordinary fans I will probably remain on the fringes watching on TV.

Saint Bert
11th December 2007, 14:32
Coming from St Helens as I do usually means one thing... You are ingrained from a young age to follow the local Rugby League team, who incidentally are current world champions and the most successful team in the summer era. Most Saints fans are Liverpool fans also, however I decided to follow my Dad who was a Utd fan from growing up in the Best, Law, Charlton era and support our beloved club. At school, this was difficult as Liverpool were the dominant force in the 80s and Wigan who were the only professional rugby league team at the time were winning every trophy available. I knew that our time would come, both in football and rugby and the last two decades have been conclusive proof of this.

Woh Woh Woh sweet child of mine!

I wouldn't mind betting that there are more people actually FROM St Helens who go to matches at OT & Goodison than go to Anfield.

Div
11th December 2007, 14:34
Woh Woh Woh sweet child of mine!

I wouldn't mind betting that there are more people actually FROM St Helens who go to matches at OT & Goodison than go to Anfield.

I thought that but that aside a reasonable piece ?

Reacher
11th December 2007, 14:41
I am only going off my experiences, as in all the Sts fans that I know seem to support Liverpool! You may be right. If so, I stand corrected. The only Utd/Sts fans I see are on here.

foot of god
11th December 2007, 14:42
Good piece.
You only have to watch some of the theatrics on TV to get disillusioned with todays football. (check out Dida for AC Milan in the Celtic game).

Saints-Crusaders
11th December 2007, 15:06
Great article......... i've always been a Leeds United fan and will remain one for life but i don't have the desire to watch them anymore, not even on TV.

I just don't think there is value for money in the game compared to RL. I know the crowds will always outstrip what are achieved in rugby but does that mean its more exciting to watch ???

Football is in my view, practically soulless these days, in an age where the love of the game has been replaced by a "how much will i get paid" attitude by the modern player.

It was always my number one sport until 7 or 8 years ago (i was still a Saints fan since the late 70's/early 80's) but never again. RL is now and will always remain my number one sport, even if Saints should suffer a return to the days of not winning trophies.

Saint Bert
11th December 2007, 15:15
all the Sts fans that I know seem to support Liverpool!

And how many of those are regulars at Anfield?

Reacher
11th December 2007, 15:21

Okay okay, you are making an issue out of a minor point in the article. The crux of the article was to highlight why I prefer to watch Saints because of all the reasons mentioned in it. If it makes you feel better, I will write back to the editor to tell him that most Sts fans are not Liverpool fans and that I was wrong on that point. ;)

Div
11th December 2007, 15:26
Okay okay, you are making an issue out of a minor point in the article. The crux of the article was to highlight why I prefer to watch Saints because of all the reasons mentioned in it. If it makes you feel better, I will write back to the editor to tell him that most Sts fans are not Liverpool fans and that I was wrong on that point. ;)

It appears most are Leeds United fans . ;) lol

Saint Bert
11th December 2007, 15:36
It appears most are Leeds United fans . ;) lol

If most is Morrisey speak for 2 then your are right ;)

I think it is pretty fair to say that there appear to be more people who say they support Liverpool, however I would suggest that with regards to proper football fans the town is split 4 ways.

United
Liverpool
Everton
All other teams added together. There are even 3 people who support city apparently :???: :confused:

Reacher
11th December 2007, 15:46
Okay lets put that one to bed then. Maybe we should conduct a survey at the first home game with a tick in the box questionnaire as to what football team we all support!!

Saint Bert
11th December 2007, 16:03
Okay lets put that one to bed then. Maybe we should conduct a survey at the first home game with a tick in the box questionnaire as to what football team we all support!!

Along with do you go to the matches?

Trev The Bear
11th December 2007, 16:28
Can you make it so there is a choice for the mighty tangerine army please :D

Stay there scum end!!

DeKay
11th December 2007, 17:37
I've got a cracking picture for you, mate.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/269992100_f818899cc9.jpg

Link to full size version (they'll want this for print)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/269992100_f818899cc9_o.jpg

The image is mine and if you want to use it, all I ask is that it is appropriately credited (David Kirkham)

Oh, and a copy of the mag, if possible.

Reacher
11th December 2007, 17:41
Thanks for that. I have sent him the link to saintspics as well. Will wait a few days and hopefully get some more to send. I am hoping that someone has pics of Knowsley Road and that he can publish that with the crest or something. At least it gives Saints a bit of exposure.

BubbleSheep
11th December 2007, 18:14
Great piece Stu - most of my friends are footie fans, and can't understand why I love rugby so much compared to footie. They'll definetly be shown this :D

parrsaint
11th December 2007, 18:30
The article is great Stu and is an excellent reflection on the modern football game. As a young lad I used to support Liverpool but lost interest many years ago especially with how football has gone in the modern era.

I was at a couple of Premiership games last season Wigan v West Ham, Wigan V Chelsea (both at JJB) and I also watched Man U v Birmingham. I have to say that there is no comparison to RL. Apart from the Wigan Chelsea match there was very little excitement and the play was monotonous.

Watching Saints is far better value and far more enjoyable from an action point of view. After all who wants to pay money to see a no score draw in football. Sadly football is all about the money. When the likes of John Arne Rise are on 80,000 a month after tax it demonstrates everything thats wrong. You have the likes of Wes Brown alledgedly being paid £40,000 a week and being offfered an improved comntract and then saying its not enough!

Most of the footballers have forgotten where they come from and are the biggest bunch of moneygrabbing pansies feigning injury around on this earth. How many times have we witnessed players in RL being paid for peanuts in comparison and playing through the pain barrier because of a broken nose, dislocated fingers, and even broken arms.

saintyick
11th December 2007, 21:51
Great Article.

Although another Man United Fan Here. ;)

I agree with a lot of what you put especially the bits regarding mufc wages and integrating with fans.

Keep up the good work. :D

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 02:07

Jesus Christ on a BIKE!

Someone mentions that they believe Saints Liverpool fans are more commonplace than Saints Manchester fans and good old Bert drags out the who actually goes to a match line (that's the safest bet around here).

NOWHERE, did Stu M mention Saints fans attending football matches. He spoke of their allegiances. Turner, your dusty old broken 78s are BORING.

You go to watch Manchester, you're the supreme fan of all things. WE GET IT, WE KNOW.

Hell I've been to Old Trafford more times in the last two years than I've been to Anfield but that does not make me a Manchester fan. I'm not a football fan. But my family are and the family's team is Liverpool so my team is Liverpool. I don't have to go to every game at Anfield plus the reserve games at Warrington to be eligible to say that.

Oh and before you start boring the shit outta me with your relentless "I go to games, I'm a fan, the rest of you don't count" BOLLOX: I've been to see Blackpool Vs. Hull City at Bloomfield Road this season. That entitles me to say what the •••• I want.

But does it make me a Blackpool fan? Or does it make me a Hull fan?

Sometimes Al, you can be a right prize ****er. This thread, is one of those times.

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 02:12
Although another Man United Fan Here. ;)
No you're not. Unless you have an unblemished record of attendance for every Premiership game and Champions League game, home and away, for the last five years along with a "George... Best by name, Best by nature" tattoo and a loyalty card for Lou Macari's chippy.

Then, Bert may just allow you to say that you are a fan.

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 09:19
Jesus Christ on a BIKE!

Someone mentions that they believe Saints Liverpool fans are more commonplace than Saints Manchester fans and good old Bert drags out the who actually goes to a match line (that's the safest bet around here).

NOWHERE, did Stu M mention Saints fans attending football matches. He spoke of their allegiances. Turner, your dusty old broken 78s are BORING.

You go to watch Manchester, you're the supreme fan of all things. WE GET IT, WE KNOW.

Hell I've been to Old Trafford more times in the last two years than I've been to Anfield but that does not make me a Manchester fan. I'm not a football fan. But my family are and the family's team is Liverpool so my team is Liverpool. I don't have to go to every game at Anfield plus the reserve games at Warrington to be eligible to say that.

Oh and before you start boring the shit outta me with your relentless "I go to games, I'm a fan, the rest of you don't count" BOLLOX: I've been to see Blackpool Vs. Hull City at Bloomfield Road this season. That entitles me to say what the •••• I want.

Sometimes Al, you can be a right prize ****er. This thread, is one of those times.

Get it out of the way before Xmas captain.

http://openboxliquidation.com/Tampax.JPG

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 09:30
Jesus Christ on a BIKE!

Are they 2 American Football teams, Manchester Saints and Liverpool Saints?

No I go to watch Manchester United, your 4 AM rantings really should be correct!

Hell I've been to Old Trafford more times in the last two years than I've been to Anfield but that does not make me a Manchester fan. I'm not a football fan. But my family are and the family's team is Liverpool so my team is Liverpool.

I don't have to go to every game at Anfield plus the reserve games at Warrington to be eligible to say that.

No that is fair enough, you can say Liverpool is your team, but are you a Liverpool supporter?

If I go to Blackpool V Hull next year does that mean I can say what I want? I was unaware that this fixture carried such splendid benefits, I shall pencil it in as soon as the fixtures are published in June.

It makes you more of one than a Liverpool fan ;)

Sometimes Al, you can be a right prize TURNEer. This thread, is one of those times.

Why thank you!

http://k53.pbase.com/g3/11/635511/2/56591814.beijo.jpg

Trev The Bear
12th December 2007, 10:06
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Blackpool vs city hull is a big draw! I got your back stew,tangerine army sticks together not like th cockney mancs lol ;)

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 10:23
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Blackpool vs city hull is a big draw! I got your back stew,tangerine army sticks together not like th cockney mancs lol ;)

I heard he was Silver Cod Squad! Watch your back Dave lol

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 10:31
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Unlike Cardiff last night which was a big loss ;)

Come on the North End of Preston! lol

DD
12th December 2007, 10:42
Whilst I think it's a great letter Stu, several of the points you apply to United also apply to Saints now, which they probably wouldn't have done a few years ago.

1) The atmosphere. The atmosphere is rubbish at Knowsley Road and, despite all seater stadia, is significantly better at most football matches.

2) The prices. Whilst the price of attending the game is obviously significantly cheaper than football. Saints charge more than nearly all other clubs for significantly worse facilities. We also do what United and other football clubs were most criticised for years ago, i.e bringing out new kits every single year; two in our case.

3) The entertainment. Quite frankly, there has been very little of this at KR in the last two years, whereas United are the second most entertaining team to watch in the country. I have rarely not been bored at a home game since the end of 2005.

Trev The Bear
12th December 2007, 10:45
Man city legend peter schmeichels son casper in goal,not even albimeister could penetrate that inner sanctum lol

Still above knob end!!!

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 10:59
I go to watch Manchester United
So say that then instead of implying it.

Google web search United and the answer is an airline.
Google image search United and the answer is a yank flag.

In Britain, United makes biscuits. FACT.

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 11:00
Whilst I think it's a great letter Stu, several of the points you apply to United also apply to Saints now, which they probably wouldn't have done a few years ago.

1) The atmosphere. The atmosphere is rubbish at Knowsley Road and, despite all seater stadia, is significantly better at most football matches.

2) The prices. Whilst the price of attending the game is obviously significantly cheaper than football. Saints charge more than nearly all other clubs for significantly worse facilities. We also do what United and other football clubs were most criticised for years ago, i.e bringing out new kits every single year; two in our case.

3) The entertainment. Quite frankly, there has been very little of this at KR in the last two years, whereas United are the second most entertaining team to watch in the country. I have rarely not been bored at a home game since the end of 2005.

I agree with virtually everything Dave, the only point I will pull you up on is the fact that up until a couple of years back, football teams had an unwritten agreement that each shirt lasted 2 years unless sponsor or kit manufacturer changed. What most teams did was bring the home shirt out one year and the away shirt the next, thus having a "new item" every 12 months.

I have to admit that I found more entertainment on the pitch at OT last season than I did at KR for all but 3 matches.

It won't be long before the entertainers tag will be lost in the relentless pursuit of pots and the games continued progress towards a sport where it will be decided soley on who is the biggest, fastest and fitest, with footballing ability being a distant 4th placed requirement!

I know at least 5 season ticket holders from last year who have not renewed, 2 of those managed to get hold of some of the new season tickets for Old Trafford that came available instead.

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 11:06
I know at least 5 season ticket holders from last year who have not renewed, 2 of those managed to get hold of some of the new season tickets for Old Trafford that came available instead.
Was that like a fine or a forfeit for not renewing with Saints?

The poor unlucky sods.

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 11:08
So say that then instead of implying it.

Google web search United and the answer is an airline.
Google image search United and the answer is a yank flag.

Google search United Football and the answer is Manchester United Football Club

In Britain, United makes biscuits. FACT.
Actually it is UB Limited who make the biscuits, along with Jacobs Crackers, KP Nuts and Twiglets, they also make them in France, Belgium and the Netherlands

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 11:27
Actually it is UB Limited who make the biscuits, along with Jacobs Crackers, KP Nuts and Twiglets, they also make them in France, Belgium and the Netherlands
I wouldn't know to disagree Al: unlike you, I'm not that well versed on the continental nuts and snacks market as I don't support or pledge any allegiances to your football team.

But UNITED is a biscuit. FACT. No matter what you say.

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 11:44
But UNITED is a biscuit. FACT. No matter what you say.

Is or Was? :???:

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 11:46
As I said, you're the know all when it comes to nuts and snacks.

Here, have a trophy:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/FBOneLove/12-12-07_1033.jpg

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 12:14
Can I have one with a lid and no hand attached to the bottom of it please.

Reacher
12th December 2007, 12:23

Am comparing value for money though. Have never once said that United are not entertaining. I said that particular game was dire and was moaning at paying £44 for a ticket after never applying for that class of a ticket. Compared to £17 at Saints, it is much more value for money to watch Sts. I was not comparing Sts with other RL teams.

What I also said was the 12,000 against Leeds was a good atmosphere. Of course it cant match 75,000 at OT on a European night but it has been significantly louder than some United home games I have attended.

I also never mentioned kits. Oh and I think you will find that we are the most entertaining team in the country. The fact that we scored more goals than anyone last season is proof of that. Rooney and Ronaldo are two of the finest talents in Europe if not the world. Dont give me this Fabregas lark. Anderson (another young talent) had him in his pocket at the Emirates this season when they won the World Cup (sorry snatched a draw at home) ;) ;)

PS Has no one got any decent pics that can be used in the fanzine?

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 12:26
Can I have one with a lid and no hand attached to the bottom of it please.
How about the sideways netball championship. Surely to god that's one thing you ain't a master of?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/FBOneLove/12-12-07_1034.jpg

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 12:28
Rooney and Ronaldo are two of the finest talents in Europe
But they are both jumped up pricks (regardless of their employer). Explain that.

Oh hang on, it's cos 75,000 of you pay £50 each to watch them.

You see, THAT is my issue with football full stop. If I was rolling in cash or if the tickets were a lot cheaper, I'd be at Anfield for every game, even if it were just to annoy Bert by having my opinion validation badge fully stamped.

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 12:30
How about the sideways netball championship. Surely to god that's one thing you ain't a master of?

Got a volleyball one that is similar! I haven't got one of those bad boys that are 3 levels with figure on top, one of those will do!

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 12:39
Got a volleyball one that is similar!
FFS.

As it happens, in volleyball the object is to get the ball over the net, not into the net like netball.

How about coarse fishing? Won anything there?

Martial arts?

Drag racing?

Trev The Bear
12th December 2007, 12:47
FFS.

As it happens, in volleyball the object is to get the ball over the net, not into the net like netball.

Martial arts?

Drag Acting?

Master of it he is!!!

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 13:11
FFS.

No the volley ball trophy is similar, jeez

Not coarse fishing, won plenty of fishing prizes on here, but never got a trophy for it.

Martial arts?

Not into painting!

Drag racing?
I have won a couple of drinking races against people in drag! Does that count?

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 13:18
Master of it he is!!!

And I cannot thank you enough for your advice on content for my show, it takes a true professional and a very nice person to pass on their secrets to a rival.

I only hope to see you back on the circuit in the not too distant future and I promise to look after your dresses and wigs until your injury allows you to return to the business you know best. ;)

Div
12th December 2007, 13:29

I dont think it IS rubbish ALL the time. On a big game day the atmosphere can be great as ever. The fixture list hasnt done us many favours over recent seasons and the away support has been dire- the detracts from the atmosphere.

DD
12th December 2007, 15:50
I also never mentioned kits. Oh and I think you will find that we are the most entertaining team in the country.

Kits were mentioned due to the all round assumption that football clubs fleece the fans whereas Rugby League clubs do not. They do. Just not so much at the gate.

Personally, like many others, I find Arsenal the most entertaining team in the country to watch by far. ;)

Saint Bert
12th December 2007, 15:52
Kits were mentioned due to the all round assumption that football clubs fleece the fans whereas Rugby League clubs do not. They do. Just not so much at the gate.

Personally, like many others, I find Arsenal the most entertaining team in the country to watch by far. ;)

lol lol lol

http://outofmyhead.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/oomh_lemons_full.png

Blobbynator
12th December 2007, 16:15
I have to admit that I found more entertainment on the pitch at OT last season than I did at KR for all but 3 matches.

Crikey I'm glad we got to this, because your 'who do you support?' 'Are you regulars?' football rants were boring the hell out of me.

I agree with you and Dave regarding the entertainment at Saints. It's a tough one really because we've won countless trophies since DA came in, but we play a very rigid style and base our game on defence. At least under Millward, we got the x factor and you never knew what you'd get. Easily the highlight of watching Saints for me where the Millward days as it was just pure entertainment on and off the pitch. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes breathtakingly brilliant.

The current Saints team is a Daniel Anderson side. Each player is fairly consistent and do their job very well, but I wouldn't say there are too many off the cuff players anymore. Jamie Lyon was a big player to lose for us and is comparable in your football debate to Cristiano Ronaldo. Both can do great things and regularly do and get you out of your seats to clap and admire.

I can't see this changing next year and whilst I'll still support Saints and I'll probably go to the majority of the games, my enthusiasm has wavered slightly. I might switch my allegiance to Warrington, they'll be exciting :D (Just joking ;)).

Shakespeare
12th December 2007, 17:16
Jamie Lyon was a big player to lose for us and is comparable in your football debate to Cristiano Ronaldo. Both can do great things and regularly do and get you out of your seats to clap and admire.

Christiano Ronaldo could make it in any league int he World. Jamie can not. ;)

Trev The Bear
12th December 2007, 17:20
Christiano Ronaldo could make it in any league int he World. Jamie can not. ;)
Playing SOO and rep footy proves he can ;)

Reacher
12th December 2007, 17:21

Thank God you mentioned Arsenal. I thought for one minute you were going to say that massive club City were the most entertaining ;)

Shakespeare
12th December 2007, 17:27
Playing SOO and rep footy proves he can ;)

The same series' where he was pointed out to be the worst player on show?

Trev The Bear
12th December 2007, 17:31
Where he played at 5/8 rather than centre,not bad playing SOO out of posistion!

The Chair Maker
12th December 2007, 18:00
The article has a factual mistake in that it talks about Saints new stadium being ALL SEATER

When in reality there will be significant standing for fans

RedVee Admin
12th December 2007, 18:21
Crikey I'm glad we got to this, because your 'who do you support?' 'Are you regulars?' football rants were boring the hell out of me.
Hurray! There's more than just me who thinks this.

Face it Turner, YOU'RE BORING.

Reacher
12th December 2007, 18:27
The article has a factual mistake in that it talks about Saints new stadium being ALL SEATER

When in reality there will be significant standing for fans

I do apologise. There were other factual mistakes as well. Like I got the score wrong against Leeds and the fact that Gidleys cheek was not actually hanging off (just sounded better like that), but hey no ones perfect.

Shakespeare
12th December 2007, 22:37
Where he played at 5/8 rather than centre,not bad playing SOO out of posistion!

Shows the benefit of word of mouth.

Legendary Supporter
13th December 2007, 01:48
Great piece stu, keep it up! I'll sort out some pics for you. Please email me with your email address.

Saint Bert
13th December 2007, 09:35
Face it Turner, YOU'RE BORING.

I was bored there is a difference, if it is so boreing why is it 3 pages long after 1 day? :???:

Originally Posted by Blobbynator

ALL of your rants bore me but I am polite enough not to say anything! lol

Strange how people who think if you are a match attending Saints fan your opinion matters more, then change their mind if it is about football. Double standards? never ;)

RedVee Admin
13th December 2007, 10:31
if it is so boreing why is it 3 pages long after 1 day? :???:
IT is not boring, your piffle is. There is a difference.

Trev The Bear
13th December 2007, 10:45
Shows the benefit of word of mouth.
:???:
You don't play state of origin and for the aussies via word of mouth,admit it shakes your comment was wrong. Jamie Lyon is a class act,better at centre than five-eight granted. He has proven that he can cut it in every league.

Saint Bert
13th December 2007, 10:47
IT is not boring, your piffle is. There is a difference.

Desk moved, slow on the reply, it is boring enough to keep your responses coming!

alf wayliner
14th December 2007, 10:50
.You go to watch Manchester...

No I go to watch Manchester United...

Watching Timeshift on BBC4 last night and it was comparing the 1957 and 2007 FA cup finals. Anyhoo Kenneth Wolstenholme, in his commentary when "United" fans are booing Peter McParland after he'd took Ray Wood out of the game, states "and it's the Manchester fans who are...".

Saint Bert
14th December 2007, 10:53
http://www.bunkhouseretreat.com/images/Steve%20in%20cage.jpg

alf wayliner
14th December 2007, 11:37
Go on then, as I've totally missed the relevance of this one you'll have to explain it to me!

Saint Bert
14th December 2007, 11:44
Go on then, as I've totally missed the relevance of this one you'll have to explain it to me!

I was just wondering who had rattled yours ;)

alf wayliner
14th December 2007, 11:46
My cage wasn't rattled, just posting something I thought was of interest.

RedVee Admin
14th December 2007, 12:54
Alf, you don't have a football season ticket. Your football opinion is worthless.

McClennan
4th January 2008, 19:14
The editor is asking for any decent pics of the Saints experience.

If somebody has a good pic of the disco ball and flashing lights that would be tremendous. Just tell them that The Saints Experience is like an upgraded version of the FC United Experience but with twice the entertainment and value for money as the Manchester United Experienc and with more locals.

RobyGerrard
17th March 2008, 11:26
Have just come across this on the forum & it pretty much echoes my feelings on football & Saints. I speak as a Liverpool supporter & they will be in my blood for life but having become a regular at KR I can see that most football is over-hyped, overpaid, dull, time-wasting, diving, over-acting drivel.
I'd much rather watch Hull KR v. Castleford than say for instance Fulham v.Everton - more honest commitment, excitement & no theatricals.
It's a scandal that footballers get paid obscene wages compared to RL players - if Lampard, Terry & their ilk get 150K per week, then James Graham should get ten times that.
Keep the faith !!!

retro74
17th March 2008, 11:56
Did the original posters article ever end up in UWS?

Reacher
17th March 2008, 13:28
Did the original posters article ever end up in UWS?

It was myself who submitted the article. The article has just appeared in the latest issue of the fanzine. The editor used the headline "Oh when the saints" for the title of the article, complete with rugby ball with Saints crest on. It would have been in earlier editions but for Munich and the topical articles concerning that.He has printed it word for word as I submitted it.

Furthermore, I have remained in touch with the editor. He is actually coming to the game on Good Friday with me (has never been to RL game before)
He is then going to write a review of his visit in Four four two magazine (where he has his own blog). This is more exposure for Saints. When he meets me at the ground, I am going to persuade him to write a review in the fanzine again. :D

retro74
17th March 2008, 14:30
Cool, I will pick a copy up on Wednesday.

Reacher
17th March 2008, 14:35
It was the edition that went on sale for the Lyon game. I dont know when the next one after that comes out

Geoggy
17th March 2008, 15:27
nice one stu.

i've taken footy fans to kr for their first RL game many times and all of them have really enjoyed it.

good article. i went to anfield a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a while. at 36 quid for poor seats i can relate to most of what you have written.

peter soutos tash
17th March 2008, 16:32
excellent my thoughts exactly
going to united since eighties not same anymore
buy you have said enough about that

more honest threads like this please

downknowsleyroad
17th March 2008, 16:44
i've always been a Leeds United fan
lol lol lol

Though, in contradiction to what many have said on this thread, my enjoyment of football has grown over the past few years whereas enthusiam for Rugby League in general has wained significantly.

Scouse Don
20th March 2008, 14:52
It was myself who submitted the article. The article has just appeared in the latest issue of the fanzine. The editor used the headline "Oh when the saints" for the title of the article, complete with rugby ball with Saints crest on. It would have been in earlier editions but for Munich and the topical articles concerning that.He has printed it word for word as I submitted it.

Furthermore, I have remained in touch with the editor. He is actually coming to the game on Good Friday with me (has never been to RL game before)
He is then going to write a review of his visit in Four four two magazine (where he has his own blog). This is more exposure for Saints. When he meets me at the ground, I am going to persuade him to write a review in the fanzine again. :D

Brilliant article and well done stu.I got berated when I dared to mention this vexed topic in my post "KR better than the theatre of dreams".Nice to see you have the guts to say it...I was the same with Liverpool but stopped for different reasons
Your spot on about the pay behaviour etc of players and football clubs alike it all makes me sick to be honest.I can see Liverpool starting to go the same way.If they're not careful absent owners etc.
Just hope the match produces for the editor.........can't see it not !

Airsporter 22
20th March 2008, 21:44
Great article, very well written.
Perhaps you could have also mentioned how the players treat the referee with respect (apart from O'Lock of course). Rather different than in football.
Also the way players don't pretend to be injured or fouled.
RL is truly the greatest game.
Is there a more honest game in terms of effort, body on the line etc.
I don't think so, maybe curling (if I've spelt that wrong apologies).

downknowsleyroad
21st March 2008, 23:01
He is then going to write a review of his visit in Four four two magazine (where he has his own blog).
Did he enjoy it then?

Reacher
21st March 2008, 23:29
Did he enjoy it then?

We missed the first 30 mins due to him arriving late. It was always going to be tight to make kick off when his plane only landed at 1:30! He enjoyed the atmosphere and stated that he liked the fact the ground had character and tradition. He also appreciated the fact that spectators were not segregated and that the Wigan fans were drinking with the Saints fans after the game with no trouble.

The acid test is when he writes about it in his online blog for Fourfourtwo magazine. It was his first RL game and he also liked the fact that the players had respect for the referee, and that all the players clapped the fans off at the end. He took some pics and stated that he wants to come to another game in the future. It was a brand new experience for him and he seemed to enjoy it.

What did not help was that we waited for the whole of half time for something to eat and when we got to the front of the queue, there was no food left! :o

PS He also described Eastmond as "rapid". Think we can all say that after today. :D

Greengrass
22nd March 2008, 08:27
We missed the first 30 mins due to him arriving late. It was always going to be tight to make kick off when his plane only landed at 1:30! He enjoyed the atmosphere and stated that he liked the fact the ground had character and tradition. He also appreciated the fact that spectators were not segregated and that the Wigan fans were drinking with the Saints fans after the game with no trouble.

The acid test is when he writes about it in his online blog for Fourfourtwo magazine. It was his first RL game and he also liked the fact that the players had respect for the referee, and that all the players clapped the fans off at the end. He took some pics and stated that he wants to come to another game in the future. It was a brand new experience for him and he seemed to enjoy it.

What did not help was that we waited for the whole of half time for something to eat and when we got to the front of the queue, there was no food left! :o

PS He also described Eastmond as "rapid". Think we can all say that after today. :D

FLEW IN! from where, you are just making more bullets there mate. Could you not have said someone pinched his bike from outside his Salford home.lol lol

Good Luck against the Rednecks I hope you stuff them at least 12-0.

Reacher
22nd March 2008, 10:55
Well he does live in Barcelona and was coming back from Italy! He has kept his season ticket at Utd so is going to the game tomorrow. I am pleased as he has asked for a friendly match between the side that he runs in Barcelona against me and my mates.

Sounds like a good excuse for a jolly to Barcelona!!

Thanks for the good luck for tomorrow. Looking forward to it