PDA

View Full Version : Technical Help Please

Div
4th December 2007, 01:57
I have an intermittent problem with my PC. I keep getting a 'STOP' message on a blue screen. The message is as follows :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

if this is the first time you've seen this error screen re start your computer. if this screen appears again follow these steps.

the BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant . Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update. com for updated BIOS.

If you are unable to obtain updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode set up. To do this simply press the F& key when you are prompted to install stotage drivers. the system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue installation.

technical information:-
***STOP 0x000000A5 0X 00000001 0X86BE55D0 0X0000000 0X 0000000

This does not happen every time I boot the PC up but when it does it tends to do it repeatedly. Pressing F7 during the booting process does not do anything. I have Googled the problem but cannot make much sense of what is being discussed it s all too technical for me.

I have had the PC since about 5 years and have not loaded any new hardware recently. Running Windows XP.

Can anyone help preferably in lay mans terms ?!!

Cheers in advance !!

RedVee Admin
4th December 2007, 10:52
Do you know how to get into your BIOS settings during boot up?

Yes? Good.

Disable APM.

Save and exit, PC should boot up normally.

Div
4th December 2007, 13:34
Do you know how to get into your BIOS settings during boot up?

Yes? Good.

Disable APM.

Save and exit, PC should boot up normally.

Er, No !!

Can you please enlighten me ?

I have pressed F1 during boot up and it brings up various menus/ settings but dont like tinkering when not sure in case I completely stuff the job up. Not sure how to switch it off.

roby lights up my senses
4th December 2007, 14:29
i always get that ..just restart me computer lol to technical for me to fix

Div
4th December 2007, 14:55
i always get that ..just restart me computer lol to technical for me to fix

Not as simple as that repeatedly does it before it will boot succesfully then often shuts itself down for same problem. Pain in the harris !!

warringtonsaint
4th December 2007, 17:42
Try asking the question here:

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/logout.jspa

I've used them loads for different questions, some straightforward, others a lot more technical, and I have always received positive & useful replies very quickly.

Stress that your a technophobe and the respondents do try to simplify their answers. I'm no IT expert, but I've usually found I can follow the responses to sort things out.

Good Luck!

Div
5th December 2007, 12:23
Stew, can you help please ?

Jonny
5th December 2007, 21:49
if you've got norton security, run a full system scan n it will find a bug if there is 1 n get rid of it

there'll probs be the same on mcafee as well

RedVee Admin
6th December 2007, 11:24
if you've got norton security, run a full system scan n it will find a bug if there is 1 n get rid of it

there'll probs be the same on mcafee as well
No anti-virus software will pick up an incorrect BIOS setting or an ACPI conflict.

Greengrass
6th December 2007, 15:43
No anti-virus software will pick up an incorrect BIOS setting or an ACPI conflict.

Watt has got an awful lot to answer for WHY did he watch that kettle boil and start thinking.:eek: :eek: