PDA

View Full Version : PC Problem windows starts up then screen say no input signal

St Steve
2nd December 2007, 13:17
I've a problem with a pc anybody able to help
anyway, heres what happens when I turn the computer on:

1. Turn power on
2. screen appears, then intel inside
3. A screen similar to the safe mode (F8) screen appears. Apologize for inconvenience, windows did not start successfully, may be due to a recent hardware or software change (or something along those lines)
safe mode
safe mode w/ networking
safe mode w/ command prompt
start windows normally

If I go to any of the safe mode options:
1. A black screen with a bunch of (ummm) file names? scrolls up the screen. It always stops at mup.sys
2. After a about 10 seconds the screen says no input signal (I'm guessing the computer is restarting?
3. Then it goes back to the beginning and starts again

If I go to start windows normally:
1. Windows xp logo appears with the loading bar
2. Screen says no input signal
3. Switches itself off and starts again

Hope someone has come across this and can give me some help or a guiding hand.

Suomi Saint
2nd December 2007, 13:21
The same sort of thing happened to me a while back. The problem turned out to be the fact that I'd just updated my anti-virus software again, and in the end I rang McAfee up, and they reset my pc back to the date before I updated the software, and it worked fine after that. If you've recently installed some new software, that may be where your problem is.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hope you get it sorted.

RedVee Admin
2nd December 2007, 15:20
Every time the monitor says no input signal, it means that the PC has switched off the graphics. In this case it is definitely due to re-booting so ignore that message.

mup.sys is not the culprit. That is just the last file to successfully load. The problem is actually the next file in the boot process.

You need to boot up from a Windows Installation CD. If you have XP Home, then any XP Home CD will do it; if you have XP Pro, any XP PRO CD will work. If you don't have one, borrow one from a friend or colleague.

Boot up from the Windows CD (you may have to change your BIOS settings to boot from CD). When you get to the first screen, select R for repair. It will open a dos window. Type in this command chkdsk /r

This will check and repair any bad files on your OS. Just leave it to it, it might take hours. When it's finished, remove the installation CD and all being well, you'll be able to boot up normally.

St Steve
2nd December 2007, 16:01
cheers