PDA

View Full Version : Tony Smith-The man with the Midas touch

Paul Cullen's Mantra
3rd November 2007, 22:31
I know he's an Aussie, and there is a certain fraternity of the rugby league world who frown upon anyone who is not from these shores coaching the national team, but you have got to admire the man. He is very understated, focused and gets the best out of his players. Personally, I think he is a fantastic coach and has introduced an ethos to the national squad which looks like elevating us to the next level....The man is pure class-----Is there any chance we could have him as DA's replacement when he goes?

are you blind ref
4th November 2007, 09:33
Whilst there's no doubting he's a good coach TBH it's a matter of common sense to play your in-form players in their usual positions. Unfortunately previous coaches seemed unable to grasp this concept.

Knight Shadow
4th November 2007, 09:35
mabey he shold of filded the majic waterbotles he has at the goons?? lol lol lol

Annies Song
4th November 2007, 12:19
Tony Smith is a good coach and as already been mentioned it,s a matter of playing players in their proper positions, I don,t know if anyone else thinks the same but i thought the kiwi coach came across as a right whinger, he blamed the ref, he moaned that he went to the ref at half time but he would,nt listen to him :???: He gave no credit to us whatsoever , we,ve been in his position ( losing badly) many a time but even though disappointed have always given the opposition credit , come on kemble wake up you were beaten by a better team . :)

Blobbynator
4th November 2007, 13:28
He's certainly a better coach than Noble. He's got GB playing some good rugby whilst having a solid base defensively. Noble could only get us defending well, whilst we played a pretty rigid structure, which just isn't our way.

There's still a long way to go though. The World Cup is the big test for Smith, where we will get the chance to play against the Aussies.

Syd
4th November 2007, 23:20
Fingers crossed he keeps the team going, but he needs a real stern test, like a proper NZ team, or the current OZ team. The Lebanon are probbaly better than this current NZ dross, even the hacka seems weak.

AnonymousSaint
4th November 2007, 23:56
Whilst there's no doubting he's a good coach TBH it's a matter of common sense to play your in-form players in their usual positions. Unfortunately previous coaches seemed unable to grasp this concept.

I couldn't agree more.

As for DA replacement, I would pass on that, we need somebody as good as DA (which will be very difficult to find) which Smith is not, he is a good coach nevertheless. Despite Smith winning 2 trophies in three years, which any club would accept, Saints need to a coach that keep their domination going for years to come.

Hamstersaint
5th November 2007, 09:23
Let's not carried away here. It's the worst Kiwi side I have seen in living memory. Yes Smith is a good coach but I felt he under performed with the Leeds side that he had over the last few years.

rob
5th November 2007, 14:11
Smith is an excellent coach, Leeds always were the big game bottlers and by overthrowing us I think that mentality is gone, and the early season defeat to Wigan in the Challenge Cup shows the difference that he's made.

I'm not sure he's the right man for Saints though - inconsistency over the season cost them the league leaders shield (remember we only beat them once in 4 attempts) and I don't think we had the dominance like in 2006.

As for this being the worst Kiwi side ever - I really don't buy that. It's not full strength certainly, but on paper neither is the GB squad. Yet we've put in fantastic performances and have won the series with another game to play. I'd love to see this team against the Ozzies to be honest - I really think we could give them a game at last!

Div
5th November 2007, 14:16
As for this being the worst Kiwi side ever - I really don't buy that.

I do they have been extremely poor. The trouncings suffered from Australia and GB suggest it IS the worse side. I have never seen such a poor one in 30 years or so. They were non competetive on Saturday. GB played well and you can only beat what is in front of you.

Steward Saint
6th November 2007, 01:03
Lets not forget Australia also wiped the floor with New Zealand and judging by the comptetiveness of this years NRL i reckon Smith will have to beat them before i am convinced of his compotence as a coach.

scots saint
6th November 2007, 01:09
Imho, he's simply done the obvious, in playing to GB's strengths, whilst using the form players available to him. Something which previous coaches failed to do, in preference for favouring certain players or clubs instead.

Sausalito
6th November 2007, 12:27
Let's see if he still has the Midas touch in 18 months time?:???:

SaintJon
6th November 2007, 20:02
noble won his 1st 3 games, then after that he had a shocker, as people have said lets judge tony smith after the world cup at least