PDA

View Full Version : Saints Store moving

The V man
2nd November 2007, 18:01
Hi everyone, i d not post much on here but i can confirm a rumour that Saints store is moving next to B & M inside St Mary's Market arcade next year.

Syd
2nd November 2007, 18:04
Which one, the one at teh ground or the one in the town centre?
This is one hell of a rumour, lets get it quashed asap.

Saints-Crusaders
2nd November 2007, 18:07
Hi everyone, i d not post much on here but i can confirm a rumour that Saints store is moving next to B & M inside St Mary's Market arcade next year.

For what reason ? bigger premises ? :???:

Billinge Lump
2nd November 2007, 18:19
For what reason ? bigger premises ? :???:

It's possibly cheaper for rent. At one time the rent in that arcade was astronomical and was a major factor in Virgin closing.

The V man
2nd November 2007, 18:22
I don't know why their moving im guessing because it will be cheaper rental space as someone has said already.

Div
2nd November 2007, 18:34
I heard it was for bigger premises. I think The Superstore has been a roaring success since it opened.

Rommel
2nd November 2007, 19:06
I heard it was for bigger premises. I think The Superstore has been a roaring success since it opened.

Bigger premises my eye more like one of the stalls on the Market next to B+M the shop now ain't that full of stuff:rolleyes:

The Chair Maker
2nd November 2007, 19:16
The current position is a prime location being right at the entrance near boots.

If it does move near B&M bargains they will be moving to a less busy part of the shopping centre, one on the fringes of the town centre, more associated with pound shops.

Supersaint
2nd November 2007, 19:30
The current position is a prime location being right at the entrance near boots.

If it does move near B&M bargains they will be moving to a less busy part of the shopping centre, one on the fringes of the town centre, more associated with pound shops.

Exactly right!!! this would baffle me if it were true.

Cedarman
2nd November 2007, 20:27
..................ah but come the time of the new ground the shop will be right underneath the carpark which will be used for match days thus forcing the supporter to go past the shop.

Cheaper rent and better location:)

Haydock Saint
2nd November 2007, 20:49

Would be a good move if they moved to the pound land end of town. They may reduce the prices to a more reasonable level, just like the £5 a shirt at Knowsley Road the other week. I got 10 shirts!

peter soutos tash
2nd November 2007, 21:11
if its £5 shirts you want b&m have loads of wigan grand final 2007 t-shirts
apparently 20,000 were unsold

Shakespeare
2nd November 2007, 22:33
It's possibly cheaper for rent. At one time the rent in that arcade was astronomical and was a major factor in Virgin closing.

The Church Square owners, ING, make £4 million a year alone on rental.

bobble
3rd November 2007, 09:40
The Church Square owners, ING, make £4 million a year alone on rental.

On top of that they've just sent a letter to the planning committee opposing the new ground. They say it'll take shoppers away from church square.

Heydrich's Ghost
3rd November 2007, 11:12

I worked in a shop close to were the current town centre store is now, up to 1996, when I was made redundant, and the rent at that time was over £2,000 a week! God alone knows what it is now! :p

Two Wheeled Saint
3rd November 2007, 11:35
On top of that they've just sent a letter to the planning committee opposing the new ground. They say it'll take shoppers away from church square.
Opposing the planning app will take shoppers away, the b@stards :mad: :mad:

Shakespeare
3rd November 2007, 12:02
No Tesco car park to stop on for free.

Agent Mulder
3rd November 2007, 13:08
No Tesco car park to stop on for free.

Surely there will still be a car park for the retail outlets that will open on the existing site.
I suppose at the end of the day ING will not want business's to be closing or moving from Church square as ING will lose rent for any empty shops.

parrsaint
4th November 2007, 14:57
I worked in a shop close to were the current town centre store is now, up to 1996, when I was made redundant, and the rent at that time was over £2,000 a week! God alone knows what it is now! :p

The rent on the town centre shops is astronomical. Its actually cheaper to rent shops in parts of Liverpool City Centre than St Helens.

Shakespeare
4th November 2007, 17:08
Surely there will still be a car park for the retail outlets that will open on the existing site.
I suppose at the end of the day ING will not want business's to be closing or moving from Church square as ING will lose rent for any empty shops.

The college is supposed to be looking into developing the site i believe. So on that, id say no. Theres always the multi storeys. Those being used more obviously makes ING more money.

bobble
4th November 2007, 20:53
The College is definitely not looking to develop anything in Church Sq. It is rebuilding a new College on its present site.

Llay Saint
4th November 2007, 20:56
Do Saints get that shop cheaper because of the sponsership deal? If they are looking to move is the deal over or have ING had an offer on the current store off someone else?

Sceptical Ste
4th November 2007, 22:30
[Surely there will still be a car park for the retail outlets that will open on the existing site.
I suppose at the end of the day ING will not want business's to be closing or moving from Church square as ING will lose rent for any empty shops.]

There are plans for a 5 floor multi storey car park on the new town centre development. (The existing Tesco site)
The idea of the new development is to attract new retailers and a major department store into the town. If this happens, the hope is that more people who currently go to rival shopping centres, will spend their money in St. Helens town centre instead. This can only be good business for Church Square Shopping Centre and ING.
You wonder if the saints store would move to a premises where the owners have slapped an objection on your stadium plans, or is there discussions afoot in the background, with regard to the planning objection?

Sceptical Ste
4th November 2007, 22:50

There are plans for a 5 floor multi storey car park on the new town centre development. (The existing Tesco site)
The idea of the new development is to attract new retailers and a major department store into the town. If this happens, the hope is that more people who currently go to rival shopping centres, will spend their money in St. Helens town centre instead. This can only be good business for Church Square Shopping Centre and ING.
You wonder if the saints store would move to a premises where the owners have slapped an objection on your stadium plans, or is there discussions afoot in the background, with regard to the planning objection?

rob
5th November 2007, 13:47
No rent from empty shops is not something that bothers Wigan council - there are shop units that have been empty 10+ years, yet they continue to build new malls etc. I don't visit St Helens town centre often, but I didn't think the store was in that much of a Prime Location to justify premium rents. Surely in the other centre or on the street alongside Woolies is the "best" location?

ploughman
5th November 2007, 13:54
i dont think the club will want/require a town centre store once the new stadium is built
could they be moving to somewhere with a short term lease ie 2 years which they cant get where they are now if the current lease has expired?
wishfull thinking maybe

Div
5th November 2007, 14:19
i dont think the club will want/require a town centre store once the new stadium is built
could they be moving to somewhere with a short term lease ie 2 years which they cant get where they are now if the current lease has expired?
wishfull thinking maybe

The town centre is the ideal place for the store even after we move. That is the only place were we will benefit from casual passing trade/ impulse buying away from match days.

pricey73
5th November 2007, 15:35
The town centre is the ideal place for the store even after we move. That is the only place were we will benefit from casual passing trade/ impulse buying away from match days.

agreed mate we need a shop in town centre

scots saint
6th November 2007, 01:00
I think rates are also a factor, as imho rates for town centre premises are also high.

Its also noteable that the owners of Church Square have, I beleive, bought the old cinema for conversion to more shop units.

Sausalito
6th November 2007, 12:30
which old cniema???

ploughman
6th November 2007, 13:00
which old cniema???

the site which is the savoy cafe bar,you know the nightclub which was never opened,it used to be a cinema

Sceptical Ste
6th November 2007, 13:08
which old cniema???

It's the Savoy cafe bar which is built on the site of the cinema.
It has been purchased by ING real estate who own Church square shopping centre for approx 3 million quid. Their statement said " This is an exiting opportunity to expand shopping in St. Helens " It's a pity that they don't use the same statement in regards to the new town centre development, instead they slap in an objection, which could wreck our stadium chances.

bobble
6th November 2007, 14:08
Well haven't they got to ask for planning permission to convert the Savoy? I assume they haven't done that yet. It would be a shame if somone protested during their planning application saying it might take away shoppers from the other end of the town centre.

Div
6th November 2007, 14:52
More mobile phone and charity shops ?

pricey73
6th November 2007, 14:58
which old cniema???

god i feel old

ploughman
6th November 2007, 18:06
i did too

scots saint
6th November 2007, 18:44
Well haven't they got to ask for planning permission to convert the Savoy? I assume they haven't done that yet. It would be a shame if somone protested during their planning application saying it might take away shoppers from the other end of the town centre.

I may be wrong, but I think the existing permission for the Cafe bar, is more than sufficient to cover "lesser" uses, such as shops etc:(