PDA

View Full Version : Saints to be like Arsenal or Chelsea?

Tourismwork
27th October 2007, 11:38
There has been plenty of debate on here about who are going to be Saints' new signings, but if we look across to the world of wendyball, the team that are sitting pretty at the top of the league are Arsenal - a team that year on year spend very little and target talented youngsters rather than the big names.

Due to the limitations of the salary cap should Saints go in the same direction of Arsenal i.e. promoting from within and bringing in youngsters from other teams rather than blowing all the budget on the likes of Willie Mason?

To a certain extent Daniel Anderson has already put a certain amount of trust in youth and we have seen Matty Smith, Paul Clough and Ste Tyrer break into the first team but should he take it a step further next season and introduce more 'kids'?

I for one believe that this is the way forward for all superleague teams - what say you?

Knight Shadow
27th October 2007, 14:23
you are 100% right mate BUT a new experneced player can allways help it is a verey fine balnce to have in the team and onley one man can pick and that is DA because he is the one to runs the team and defines how thay play

Bainsey
27th October 2007, 14:49
We could always be like Man Utd and do both? (bring young lads through as well as buying top talent to go with it.) :???:

oldun
27th October 2007, 17:21
Saints to be like Arsenal or Chelsea?
I thought this was a Rugby forum not wendyball

mrnike22
27th October 2007, 23:17
Saints are like Arsenal, play in red and white, good players, use to winning trphies...and supported by me!

saint_me
28th October 2007, 00:02
I see your argument but there is one thing you are forgetting, we would not get away with what Arsenal are doing as none of their younsters are english.

i watched a game they played a few weeks back in the champions league and not one of the players on the pitch was english.

But then again if we sign them young enough and keep them here for 3 years the can then play for GB so i think this would be a dead good idea :???:

SodIt the Hedgehog
28th October 2007, 09:48
Looking at the way we played rugby for the majority of last year, probably Chelsea. Grinding out wins, many fans blatantly expecting to win and taunting the opposition with chants like "that's why we're champions" when we do the most mundane of things? Chelsea.

As a Liverpool supporter though, I just hope we don't start playing like they are lately lol

AnonymousSaint
29th October 2007, 14:03
Saints to be like Arsenal or Chelsea?

No we have at least 2 english players in our squad, and in the Chelsea case we did'nt have to buy the title we are just a very good team.

Shakespeare
29th October 2007, 14:06
I had to chuckle at the state of our national game yesterday when Liverpool took on Arsenal and out of the 28 players that appeared on the pitch, 4 were English.

SaintsDavid
29th October 2007, 15:07
I had to chuckle at the state of our national game yesterday when Liverpool took on Arsenal and out of the 28 players that appeared on the pitch, 4 were English.

You talking about Manchester United supporters here?

peter soutos tash
1st November 2007, 14:41
no empty seats at old trafford mate

SaintsDavid
1st November 2007, 17:55
no empty seats at old trafford mate

Obviously not a clue what i'm talking about?