PDA

View Full Version : boozers

ticker
26th October 2007, 10:49
In everyones opinion.what are your top 3 favourite watering holes in st helens and whats your worst 3.give reasons if you like.Just asking coz there seems to be one on every corner in town now and not for the good IMO.traditional pubs for me.

Sadfish
26th October 2007, 11:17
queue another advert for that place on George Street......

THELAST3YARDS
26th October 2007, 11:33
1. Turks Head - Wide range of beers and music on every now and again.
2. Gerard Arms - More for the regulars of many years than anything else.
3. Colliers Arms - Best food around.

Saint Bert
26th October 2007, 12:35
Not many proper Pubs left.

There will be even fewer in town centres in years to come :-(

Then we will all have to put up with the bag in a box pubs like Chicago Cock, Yate's and Wetherspoons.

DD
26th October 2007, 12:36
There are three good ones?! :eek:

Saint Bert
26th October 2007, 13:16
There are three good ones?! :eek:

All depends what you want and what you call a boozer!

Personally I wouldn't call Chicago Rock, Yates, Some Whethersoons, The Sefton, The Weatsheaf, Dali Bar, Boozers.

The only Boozers left in St Helens Town Centre are

The George
The Alfred
The Swan
The Lamb
The Royal ( Although on a Fri and Sat night that changes )
The Raven
The Duke of Cambridge??? ( Fri & Sat nights ?? )

It all depends what you are after, when ever I am away I look for a pub that does not have a disco on, isn't full of 17 to 21 year olds glugging alchopops. Has sport on the TV's, a juke box with a mix of music that isn't so loud you can't find a spec anywhere in the pub where you can chat, a pool table and maybe a dart board.

A place where it doesn't matter what is on offer as long as what is on offer is done right, I don't mind paying a bit more if it has been looked after.

I don't want to see bouncers on a door as this means there has been trouble there previously, I want to be spoken to be regulars whether I have been in there before or not.

Somewhere to drink outside in the summer without being mithered by kids.

Two of my favourite pubs are The Chop House and The Oyster Bar in Manchester although both lack music and a pool table.

I can safely say that if I did not have The George I would still choose to watch my sports here, and if heading into the middle of town for any night out would still start here.

Doogal
26th October 2007, 13:23
1. Turks Head - Wide range of beers and music on every now and again.
2. Gerard Arms - More for the regulars of many years than anything else.
3. Colliers Arms - Best food around.

The Turks Head i am reliably informed will be having a Guest Beer on in the next couple of Weeks called "The Prekkie Stroll!", all the profits of this ale will go to the Foundation.

I will let you know when it is on.

THELAST3YARDS
26th October 2007, 13:29
The Turks Head i am reliably informed will be having a Guest Beer on in the next couple of Weeks called "The Prekkie Stroll!", all the profits of this ale will go to the Foundation.

I will let you know when it is on.

Excellent, will wander up when it's on.

Reacher
27th October 2007, 08:30
Agree with the Chop House in Manchester. Met up with others in there before the 2006 GF, so happy memories of that. They serve proper pub grub too.

However I have to say best boozer around has to be Alma Di Cuba in Liverpool which is an old church converted into a pub. The guy who bought this place knew what he was doing. Superb atmosphere, restaurant upstairs, great music, just a fantastic place. No chavs allowed. There is also now Alma Di Santiago apparently which is run under the same guise.

THELAST3YARDS
27th October 2007, 09:54
Agree with the Chop House in Manchester. Met up with others in there before the 2006 GF, so happy memories of that. They serve proper pub grub too.

However I have to say best boozer around has to be Alma Di Cuba in Liverpool which is an old church converted into a pub. The guy who bought this place knew what he was doing. Superb atmosphere, restaurant upstairs, great music, just a fantastic place. No chavs allowed. There is also now Alma Di Santiago apparently which is run under the same guise.

8 posts in and we are in Liverpool and Manchester already. Not a good advert for the brewing trade in St Helens.

Reacher
27th October 2007, 10:58
8 posts in and we are in Liverpool and Manchester already. Not a good advert for the brewing trade in St Helens.

Suppose not, but I am talking about part of a night out. Any city is going to be better than a local town in terms of choice, clientele and other factors. If I want a traditional country style pub, I go to my parents caravan for the weekend where the local pub has pool table, dart board, open fire etc.

Doogal
29th October 2007, 10:12
http://www.faceparty.com/pb/2068/images/terryvalley_30235202.jpg

Local Brewery George Wright has kindly donated this barrel to the foundation and this guest beer is available at the Turks Head while stocks last.

Thank You to everyone concerned and Cheers!

Shakespeare
29th October 2007, 11:19

Id say that Alma di Cuba is more of a club than a Boozer.

Div
29th October 2007, 13:34

The thread was specifically about St Helens pubs as well !!

Reacher
29th October 2007, 14:50
The thread was specifically about St Helens pubs as well !!

Yeah you are right it was, but then St. Bert mentioned a couple of good choices in Manchester so I just expanded on that. Its not the first time that the subject of a thread has been changed.

st dani
29th October 2007, 16:02
one traditional pub in town not mentioned is the bell and barrel situated nr budget tyres.

live bands every fri, decent pint (according to hubby) and friendly landlord, plus its not full of kids on a sat night !!

Kwayle
30th October 2007, 17:33
one traditional pub in town not mentioned is the bell and barrel situated nr budget tyres.

live bands every fri, decent pint (according to hubby) and friendly landlord, plus its not full of kids on a sat night !!

not full of kids? :confused:
It certainly used to be when we shouldn't of been in there, i seam to remember it being well know because it would serve anyone.

Twas a few years ago though so its most likely changed hands since then.