PDA

View Full Version : proof in union final

ticker
23rd October 2007, 02:54
proof if proof was needed that union is an easier game than league came in the world cup final.England fielded no less than 8 players in their starting line up that were the wrong side of 30.Do we think if a super league team fielded roughly the same percentage of players of that age group they would struggle somewhat.I know what i think.

Red_V_Roger
23rd October 2007, 05:43
Shoundn't your thread title read "Poof in Union Final":???:

Knight Shadow
23rd October 2007, 06:32
union forwards do not need to run as much that just need to be able to beat the stuffing out of each other that is why thay all have zimmer frams, as long as thay can win a bar brawl thay are fine as for the backs thay may need to run once in a while were as in leage EVREY player has to run and keep up as are game is fast moveing up and down the pitch with out the aid of watching 2 players of opposing side kick the ball catch it see a wall of players abought to send him to hospital and kick the ball back so the other poor so and so can spend the next week in hospitle while he rembers his back side from his elbow

Stupid Tuesday
23rd October 2007, 09:02
union forwards do not need to run as much that just need to be able to beat the stuffing out of each other that is why thay all have zimmer frams, as long as thay can win a bar brawl thay are fine as for the backs thay may need to run once in a while were as in leage EVREY player has to run and keep up as are game is fast moveing up and down the pitch with out the aid of watching 2 players of opposing side kick the ball catch it see a wall of players abought to send him to hospital and kick the ball back so the other poor so and so can spend the next week in hospitle while he rembers his back side from his elbow

All of which, of course, is absolutely 100% correct. However, the argument has been aired ad-infinitum over the years and it will never alter the fact that, although League is faster, more skillful and athletic, Union is the darling of the 'Establishment' and forever will be. Sad as it is, League is an irrelevance for the majority of UK citizens.

Saint Bert
23rd October 2007, 09:34
To be fair scrmmaging forms a large part of the union game and the front row especially are built for that.

Could you imagine Cayless and Fozzard trying to scrummage like they do, they wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Still a sh1t game though the way it is played in GB

Dom McCormack
23rd October 2007, 10:15
Two completely different games, requiring completely different skills.
Super League (front row especially) forwards wouldn't be able to cope for 5 minutes in the respective RU Premiership. Its just a shame that many a bitter and twisted RL fan just don't seem to understand this and instead is hell bent on constantly berating the sport, possibly because they're jealous of a genuinely global sport that from a marketing perspective, we (rugby league) could learn a lot from.

Until the majority of people involved in all areas of RL, from supporters to administrators, realise how much we could learn from Rugby Union to promote our sport in the correct way, then the gap in terms of popularity will only get wider.

I love rugby league but oppose this popular trait of slagging off rugby union when its fairly clear that the majority of 'boo-boys' haven't a clue what their talking about.

Sadfish
23rd October 2007, 10:31
Super League (front row especially) forwards wouldn't be able to cope for 5 minutes in the respective RU Premiership. Its just a shame that many a bitter and twisted RL fan just don't seem to understand this and instead is hell bent on constantly berating the sport, possibly because they're jealous of a genuinely global sport that from a marketing perspective, we (rugby league) could learn a lot from.

Until the majority of people involved in all areas of RL, from supporters to administrators, realise how much we could learn from Rugby Union to promote our sport in the correct way, then the gap in terms of popularity will only get wider.

I love rugby league but oppose this popular trait of slagging off rugby union when its fairly clear that the majority of 'boo-boys' haven't a clue what their talking about.

Judging by some of the "types" of people who goto watch Rugby Union i'm glad our administrators DON'T follow too much of their example.

Rugby Leagues strength in my experience is its parochial way of life, a local game for local people!

;)

Buddy
23rd October 2007, 11:12

Yes because no one from union has ever made that sort of comment have they?

I played union for 15 years and have some fantastic memories and experiences as a result, but I cannot watch the game (unless its super 14's or NZ) because its so dull!

The world cup final was a classic example, England did not show one bit of skill in the entire game, and the only chance of a try came from poor defence not attacking prowess.

Dom McCormack
23rd October 2007, 11:40
Judging by some of the "types" of people who goto watch Rugby Union i'm glad our administrators DON'T follow too much of their example.

Rugby Leagues strength in my experience is its parochial way of life, a local game for local people!

;)

Fair enough Paul, and if rugby league wants to remain local then thats fine - it can easily survive and be successful that way, but if it does want to expand then it needs to market itself and its players far greater than it does currently (I can feel I'm turning this thread into a different topic already!).

As for the original reason for my post, I was only replying to a number of inital posts who's authors seemed rather ill-judged in commenting on the specifics of union, like the majority of its players being over 30 (the skills of scrummaging are often developed over many years and so front rowers tend to be older players)... rugby union players being 'poofs'... and as for:

...well, I don't know where to start trying to understand that.

To conclude, the union game (IMO) has many faults in its rules that, for eg., encourage positional kicking and kicking to advance up the field that could be addressed without losing the continuity that is unique to the sport.

Knight Shadow
23rd October 2007, 12:12
we (rugby league) could learn a lot from.

ok so if we can learn so much:

1/why are RL coaches used in RU and not RU coaches in RL?
2/why are Union Coaches at he RL coaches confrence to learn?
3/were is noddey now?

the areas thay are better at are usless to are game scrumiging is absultey pointless in leage it takes to long and would be point less as we could make more yards in 1 tacke than a scrumige, also the scrum now as defied by RFL rules it is a way to restart the game after a tecnickle offence

Saint Bert
23rd October 2007, 12:27

3/were is noddey now?

the areas thay are better at are usless to are game scrumiging is absultey pointless in leage it takes to long and would be point less as we could make more yards in 1 tacke than a scrumige, also the scrum now as defied by RFL rules it is a way to restart the game after a tecnickle offence

I thought we were talking about Union?

Whether scrummaging has a place in our game anymore ( other than to open the field of play for 1 tackle ) is irrelevant.

Posts were made regarding the age and physique of some of the RU forwards, these type of players ARE needed in a game were scrummaging forms a big part.

If people are going to have a go at another sport, then they should at least understand some of the fundamentals of it before making silly statements.

It must be remembered that whilst the English style of play is boring as hell, it is that style of play and power up front that stopped the more expansive game of the Aussies and the French.

Knight Shadow
23rd October 2007, 12:31
I thought we were talking about Union?

Whether scrummaging has a place in our game anymore ( other than to open the field of play for 1 tackle ) is irrelevant.

Posts were made regarding the age and physique of some of the RU forwards, these type of players ARE needed in a game were scrummaging forms a big part.

If people are going to have a go at another sport, then they should at least understand some of the fundamentals of it before making silly statements.

It must be remembered that whilst the English style of play is boring as hell, it is that style of play and power up front that stopped the more expansive game of the Aussies and the French.

was responding to the qustion of why dont we learn form the union people did not seam so off topic to me, sorrey! and yes i do understand the fundermentles of union i have lived with a guy from the midlands an EX-plummer terned student who was trying to edcuated me on it and i have watched a fair few games

Saint Bert
23rd October 2007, 12:36
yes i do understand the fundermentles of union i have lived with a guy from the midlands an EX-plummer terned student who was trying to edcuated me on it and i have watched a fair few games

if that is the case why make such stupid posts as your earlier one.

Stupid Tuesday
23rd October 2007, 12:44

3/were is noddey now?

He was actually talking about learnig more how to PROMOTE the game better which is a very fair point.

Knight Shadow
23rd October 2007, 13:01
if that is the case why make such stupid posts as your earlier one.

i put things in a simple mannor, so i can put it across easley and my point can be understood as i lack the english skills on paper because if try and wright how i speak it comes out in a diffrent way and terns into something diffent sorrey but i have found it is the best way to get my point across i am sorrey if i seam stupid

Noah Sleeroader
24th October 2007, 02:07
maybe people need to realise that they are two totally different games with some similarities. it's like comparing ice hockey with field hockey (sort of).