PDA

View Full Version : New Signings

AndyTaylor223
22nd October 2007, 16:48
Is it true Darren Albert has signed a 1 year deal at Saints for next year. And is it true Jamie Lyon will return for Saints either this year or next. Can someone please enlighten me on these rumours

Syd
22nd October 2007, 16:53
Dunno Darren, you tell us. Have you?

little_frank
22nd October 2007, 17:18
I'm sure Franny Cummins has signed ;)

Dux
22nd October 2007, 17:20
Come on guys...I'm dying here...is it true???? :???:

quirkesboots
22nd October 2007, 17:27
Is it true Darren Albert has signed a 1 year deal at Saints for next year. And is it true Jamie Lyon will return for Saints either this year or next. Can someone please enlighten me on these rumours
it would be pointless albert cumming without lyon .Gidley never passes his pace would be wasted.Unless its just that Gidds has as much confidence in Gardener as the rest of us

Carlos Alberto
22nd October 2007, 17:35

Having a mooch around Facebook, I was looking through Willie Talau's friend list and noticed that he'd linked to Darren Albert saying 'they'd both been stealing money in the UK for a couple of years'. I doubt he'll be back.

AndyTaylor223
22nd October 2007, 17:39
Is there going to be any signings next year, if so do we know who.

AndyTaylor223
22nd October 2007, 17:45
Ive got a feeling Albert is coming to saints next year but like quirkesboots said it would be pointless without lyon but yet again maybe gidley doesnt like gardner or has little confidence in him well we all know gardner is crap at times. Secondly Francis Cummins hasnt signed for saints i dont think he's not good enough in my opinion. Thirdly we need a scrum half/ kicker or were f***ked

Supersaint
22nd October 2007, 17:46
Having a mooch around Facebook, I was looking through Willie Talau's friend list and noticed that he'd linked to Darren Albert saying 'they'd both been stealing money in the UK for a couple of years'. I doubt he'll be back.

Sad ••••••• lol

Blobbynator
22nd October 2007, 17:51
No Lyon or Albert I'm afraid. But we're rumoured to be signing Darren Lockyer, Sonny Bill Williams and Matt King because he's not settling in at Warrington. All will be revealed soon...

little_frank
22nd October 2007, 17:53
None of them are fit to fill John Clarke's boots ;)

Blobbynator
22nd October 2007, 17:55
None of them are fit to fill John Clarke's boots ;)

I'm led to believe we've offered 'Mr. Perpetual Motion' a contract to replace KC, but with his latest GB squad placing it might be difficult to keep him under the cap.

quirkesboots
22nd October 2007, 17:57
No Lyon or Albert I'm afraid. But we're rumoured to be signing Darren Lockyer, Sonny Bill Williams and Matt King because he's not settling in at Warrington. All will be revealed soon...
What the club or the area

Carlos Alberto
22nd October 2007, 18:08
Sad ••••••• lol

'Ste, your washing's ready...'

:o :)

Supersaint
22nd October 2007, 18:11
'Ste, your washing's ready...'

:o :)

lol

AndyTaylor223
22nd October 2007, 18:32
We wont get sonny bill he costs too much lockyer is only coming in 2009 we need a kicker urgently or play tyrer much more

fye
22nd October 2007, 18:38
Now I know why I go on tour during the off season. ;)

Saints-Crusaders
22nd October 2007, 18:40
Some ppl just dont realise when the •••• is being taken

Agent Mulder
22nd October 2007, 19:26
Some ppl just dont realise when the •••• is being taken

What's with all this name changing? Have I missed something apart from your last birthday 39er. :eek: lol

Rommel
22nd October 2007, 19:29
We wont get sonny bill he costs too much lockyer is only coming in 2009 we need a kicker urgently or play tyrer much more

No Mini i don't think we'll sign Albert or Lyon:???:

quirkesboots
22nd October 2007, 19:48
We desperatly need a kicker something has to be done or it may cost us dearly next season

gazbelton
22nd October 2007, 20:26
lockyer is a possability.said after the world club challenge he would like to play in superleague.also at the challenge cup final said he wants to play in cc final. and been a lot of rumors about long and leon going

Tallahassee
22nd October 2007, 20:35
The only we sign anyone is if someone goes,so unless Gidley,Cayless,Meli or Talau are going it same as for next season.:)

stickman81
22nd October 2007, 21:11
The only we sign anyone is if someone goes,so unless Gidley,Cayless,Meli or Talau are going it same as for next season.:)
willie mason is kolpak he has a tongan passport

quirkesboots
22nd October 2007, 21:17
Does that mean he takes a good picture:D

Saints-Crusaders
22nd October 2007, 21:27
What's with all this name changing? Have I missed something apart from your last birthday 39er. :eek: lol

Well i changed it to thattoheather40 because i turned 40 in july, then i thought Thatto Heath Saint sounded better, so i changed it to that but the last name change had nothing to do with me.

It was done by an "eager to show them who is boss" member of Redvee Admin lol

Buddy
23rd October 2007, 10:24

Does a tongan passport come with its own oars or do you purchase them seperately?

DD
23rd October 2007, 11:24
it would be pointless albert cumming without lyon .Gidley never passes his pace would be wasted.

Whilst not believing the initial post for a minute, this is a ridiculous statement.

Gardner still scored 21 tries outside Gidley, a lot of which were from Gidley passes. In fact, Gidley was renowned more for his passing ability down the years than Lyon was.

If a good winger is pointless outside a centre than why not just not have one at all?

Anyway, he won't be coming anyway. but I think that, despite a disappointing run-in to the season's end, everyone is being unnecessarily harsh on a bloke who was outstanding for the first half of the season.

Gerry Mander
23rd October 2007, 11:59
If a good winger is pointless outside a centre then why not just not have one at all?

Steve Hall and Chris Smith proved there is something in that hypothesis.:)

Barbarian
23rd October 2007, 21:00
A reliable source told me yesterday that Jonny Wilkinson wants to give Rugby League a try (a word not usually in the yawnion dictionary) and Saints would be his first choice club. This is not a joke. Im serious.

Paul Cullen's Mantra
23rd October 2007, 21:04
A reliable source told me yesterday that Jonny Wilkinson wants to give Rugby League a try (a word not usually in the yawnion dictionary) and Saints would be his first choice club. This is not a joke. Im serious.

Solve the kicking issue I suppose.....

Gerry Mander
23rd October 2007, 21:09

Makes Matthew Head appear resilient.

His only contribution would be to keep Scully company
in the physio room.

File it alongside the Charlie Hodgson rumour under too expensive ,
too brittle and not going to happen.

Agent Mulder
23rd October 2007, 21:23
Well i changed it to thattoheather40 because i turned 40 in july, then i thought Thatto Heath Saint sounded better, so i changed it to that but the last name change had nothing to do with me.

It was done by an "eager to show them who is boss" member of Redvee Admin lol

I had better keep a low profile and post reasonable posts before they get to me then. lol
Anyway now I know who I am 'talking' to. lol I think ;)

A_walsh2k7
23rd October 2007, 22:02
The Team we have now is goin to be the same as next year i can tell u that for now ;) no one is comeing in an no one is goin out...

Woodspeckie
23rd October 2007, 22:12
The Team we have now is goin to be the same as next year i can tell u that for now ;) no one is comeing in an no one is goin out...
So that means winning nothing for us next year.

Paul Cullen's Mantra
23rd October 2007, 22:24

Does that mean we are having a lock in down at KR?.......taxi for Mr.Cayless please!!!!lol lol lol

Tallahassee
24th October 2007, 20:20
Swapping Gidley for Gleeson,big rumour in Warrington!:D

Trev The Bear
24th October 2007, 20:26
Gleeson will be at Wigan by all accounts next season.....he's excercised a clause in his contract allowing him to leave wire as they have finished outside the top 6...............so i heard.

Two Wheeled Saint
24th October 2007, 20:49
:???: Did we win nothing THIS year :???: :rolleyes:

Tallahassee
24th October 2007, 20:55
Hey we want an open,competitive league,somebody new winning stuff is good.If we win it great if we dont...well tough I suppose.:)

Carlos Alberto
24th October 2007, 21:25

Good, it might teach some of the arseholes we call fans humility.

Gerry Mander
24th October 2007, 22:00
A squad must continually evolve.

If there are no signings then so be it as long as there are some
kids ready to step up.

We might be heading for another 2003 if Cayless and Foz go
under the knife and are out for a while.

No big signings is ok , given the new coach and the way that contacts
are due to expire next year.

However having 2 key props potentailly out and no pacey backs
is an issue.

A couple of cheap but promising sigings would have been good.

White and Whiltshire have gone , but Calvert and Hill from Leigh
are the sort of targets I think would have been realistic yet give strength
to the squad.

Ah Well a revitalised Scully and Hardman back will have to do.

Scouse Don
25th October 2007, 09:48
Still think we are the best when fit and firing on all cylinders...a fit Scully would be a huge bonus..like a big new signing.Think our youngsters are still the best around by a good distance.Flannery will improve a lot this season.I think even he would agree he was a bit off the pace this year and may have been back in action a little too soon.Tyrer must play more if we are struggling with the kicking..second row imo..dont think he has the pace out wide..not sure Meli has either.is it me or does he seem to go into slow motion when he gets the ball?

Stick with what we have is all we can do (salary cap and contracts etc)but hey we have'nt done badly over the last 5 years have we?

We support our team..what we have not what we would like!!!

Huntingtons
25th October 2007, 10:22

Please tell me you didnt believe your source.

This has got to be the worst rumour ever. There is no way Wilkinson would EVER come to rugby league

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
25th October 2007, 10:22

no chance....Gleeson will never return to Saints

Billinge Lump
25th October 2007, 10:41
Stick with what we have is all we can do (salary cap and contracts etc)but hey we have'nt done badly over the last 5 years have we?

We've never stood still for any of those five years.

It's a grave mistake thinking we are OK to do so for next year.

Scouse Don
25th October 2007, 11:19
We are not standing still developing our youngsters and bringing them into the squad.How do you bring in new players if you are full up on the salary cap and have a full contingent of contracted players.......suggest you are living in a dream world..if you think we can do anything else.......unless you know otherwise I am always interested in hearing views.

DD
25th October 2007, 12:29
We are not standing still

Correct. We are going backwards.

No new players. Key players past their best. New youngsters not yet as good.

Next year's squad is not as strong as it has been despite having the same players.

The ageing process is taking it's toll.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
25th October 2007, 12:34
We are not standing still developing our youngsters and bringing them into the squad.How do you bring in new players if you are full up on the salary cap and have a full contingent of contracted players.......suggest you are living in a dream world..if you think we can do anything else.......unless you know otherwise I am always interested in hearing views.

simple - dont give long contracts to players who are past thier best.

its a difficult balancing act, the club doesnt want to get a reputation for not showing loyalty to players who have given thier all throughout thier careers - but we cant keep on giving players like Talau, Long and Cunningham extended contracts forever.

Billinge Lump
25th October 2007, 12:58

As has been posted, there are players that should not have been given the length of contract they were. This means that come a few years down the line wholesale changes will need to be made, rather than the gradual change needed that ensures a top team stays a top team.

It's not me living in a dream world, I'm the one being realistic.

Scouse Don
25th October 2007, 15:58
OOPS.That's me told off in no uncertain terms........guess only time will tell......I'm not prepared to write us off just yet..I'll save this post until this time next year and remind you as we do another clean sweep of silverware !!

Maybe I'll just delete it quietly..........I'm always optimistic though maybe I'd better change these rose tinted glasses !!

Tallahassee
25th October 2007, 20:23
Do we expect Daniel Anderson to get players when he wont be here to see them in the second year of their contracts,players may be being signed this time next year under our new coach.

Shakespeare
25th October 2007, 20:42
Do we expect Daniel Anderson to get players when he wont be here to see them in the second year of their contracts,players may be being signed this time next year under our new coach.

**** Unveiling our new coach!!!! ****

http://www.mabus.biz/images/nostradamus2.jpg

Gerry Mander
25th October 2007, 21:46
**** Unveiling our new coach!!!! ****

http://www.mabus.biz/images/nostradamus2.jpg

Looks like a school photo of Dave Hadfield to me.

Tallahassee
25th October 2007, 21:53
lol haha

Paul Cullen's Mantra
25th October 2007, 21:56
Is that Stevo's hand on his knee?....Looks like he got the cheap seats again,no wonder he brought the telescope!!!

Carlos Alberto
26th October 2007, 00:46
Been told today Longy has been offered a 3 year deal with Catalans and is expected to sign for them.

The question then would be, do we try to bring in someone like Brent Sherwin or do we give Smith the chance whilst giving Roby a bumper payday?

Shakespeare
26th October 2007, 01:13
That has been flung around for a while. Though he would sign a cheap one year deal though as he has had the world's largest number of Testimonial doos.

Scouse Don
26th October 2007, 09:53
Who's Brent Sherwin?

daves
26th October 2007, 10:10
Who's Brent Sherwin?

Brent Sherwin (http://www.bulldogs.com.au/main.php?page=player&id=632&grade=nrl)

Not too sure about the nickname though,especially after that one nicknamed "tricky."

little_frank
26th October 2007, 10:26
Who's Brent Sherwin?

Canterbury Bulldogs scrum half.

http://www.nrl.com.au/Clubs/Bulldogs/BulldogsPlayerProfile/tabid/186/playerid/121/Default.aspx

Scouse Don
26th October 2007, 10:49
Ta...is he any good?(don't get setanta.on the grounds that I already have 742 crap channels on sky!!)

Wellensisno1
26th October 2007, 14:26
Correct. We are going backwards.

No new players. Key players past their best. New youngsters not yet as good.

Next year's squad is not as strong as it has been despite having the same players.

The ageing process is taking it's toll.

Agreed, but what is short term loss could be long term gain, especially with a year remaining under Anderson. His development of the younger members of the squad has been outstanding IMO compared to what the likes of Milward would have been.

I think the Scully thing is the key for 2008. We need him to play as many games as possible and hopefully he will. We did not look the same team this year without him in the team.

The other burning issue is the starting hooker. Roby has got to start more games this season with KC playing more of a supporting role. The Bradford game is a classic example of how devastating we can be with Roby starting and Scully in the line up.

saintgeorge
26th October 2007, 15:06
You can`t realy criticise the curent Chairman or coaching set-up. We are the most successful side in the modern game and we should trust the people who have got us there.I know I would not want the club in any other hands and speak from having experienced years playing secon fiddle to other clubs. People would be the first to criticise if we squandered all our money away on over-the-hill overseas signings at the expense of our superb home-grown talent (KC, Wello, Robes, Graham, Clough, Tyrer, Smith - to name but a few).

The Greatest
26th October 2007, 15:32

I think the Scully thing is the key for 2008. .

lol

ah, this old chestnut. If this is the case then we might as well pack up and •••• off before we have even played a game.

Burnley Saint
26th October 2007, 17:00
We only won 3 this year with this team

are you blind ref
26th October 2007, 17:30
We only won 3 this year with this team

I know, it's awful isn't it ;) I sometimes wish I was a Warrington supporter, they have no expectations and therefore cannot be disappointed :D

The Chair Maker
26th October 2007, 20:30
A look at the GB team shows we are not in that bad a situation.

6 players in the starting 17

more than any other side.

Wigan have one and I think O 'Loughlin has got in as a token gesture to ensure the pies turn out for the 3rd test at Wigan.

Remember this is a GB team not featuring our veteran players, Long Cunningham and Sculthorpe, who if fit and available for selection would be certainties to stat in the 17.

Blobbynator
26th October 2007, 20:32
Gilmour and Fozzard would've been in the squad too if fit. That makes 11 possible players for GB. And with Clough coming through the ranks, we'll have another possible GB player in a few years time.

parrsaint
27th October 2007, 14:57
As has been posted, there are players that should not have been given the length of contract they were. This means that come a few years down the line wholesale changes will need to be made, rather than the gradual change needed that ensures a top team stays a top team.

It's not me living in a dream world, I'm the one being realistic.

I have said the same thing a few times. It is a mistake to have given new contracts to Long Scully, KC and Talau. One or two of them should have been let go to bring in new blood either from our up and coming players or from the freed up cash of players leaving. It's a mistake to have to replace a considerable number of key players ina short time. Only last year Long was making all the noises that he wanted away to join Cronulla. Whilst I think he has been a terrific player and still is on his day maybe it was time for him to move on. Realistically he has won everything in the game with Saints and perhaps he needed a new challenge elsewhere.

Greengrass
1st November 2007, 08:25
Gleeson will be at Wigan by all accounts next season.....he's excercised a clause in his contract allowing him to leave wire as they have finished outside the top 6...............so i heard.

Clauses in contracts are way over his head unless his bookie told him to put one in.

little_frank
8th November 2007, 12:14
Who's Brent Sherwin?

.....who has signed for Castleford......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/default.stm

Scouse Don
9th November 2007, 17:29
Thanks Little Frank !

Gerry Mander
10th November 2007, 09:23
What has happened to the Long to Catalan rumour which seems
to ebb and flow.

After watching Lebanon over the past two weeks then
George Ndaira might be worth a look. Can play HB or hooker
Thoughts?