PDA

View Full Version : 7 saints in the GB squad

SaintJon
18th October 2007, 12:08
they are paul wellens, ade gardner, leon pryce, jon wilkin, james roby, james graham and .... fa'asavalau

congrats to all them but i cant believe fozzard hasnt been selected, he's been alot better then graham and fa'asavalau, apparently gilmour was selected but is injured,

i wonder what the rest of SL will think if fa'asavalau is picked

lyon2010
18th October 2007, 12:12
Fozz has got to be gutted! He's been superb at times this year. How can someone make the dream team but not the GB squad?

Blobbynator
18th October 2007, 12:13
Maybe Fozzard is injured? He played through the Play Offs with a bicep injury, so maybe that needs looking after.

Wellens, Pryce, Roby and Graham are all guaranteed to be in the 17 IMO. The others may get involved at some point. Gardner has a good chance IMO, due to the shortage of wingers.

Bainsey
18th October 2007, 12:49
Any idea where we can see the rest of the squad? As I type its not on Sporting Life or BBC Sport.

Knight Shadow
18th October 2007, 12:52
Maybe Fozzard is injured? He played through the Play Offs with a bicep injury, so maybe that needs looking after.

Wellens, Pryce, Roby and Graham are all guaranteed to be in the 17 IMO. The others may get involved at some point. Gardner has a good chance IMO, due to the shortage of wingers.

he is, has a torn bisep and is going under the knif to fix it smart man i think fix his bodey and get a longer time playing the game

dufc4
18th October 2007, 13:35
he is, has a torn bisep and is going under the knif to fix it smart man i think fix his bodey and get a longer time playing the game
www.spellcheck.net ;)

SaintsDavid
18th October 2007, 13:44
www.spellcheck.net ;)

he's dyslexic.

wellosgal
18th October 2007, 13:45
www.spellcheck.net ;)

I AM DISLXIC SO I HAVE BAD SPELLING, thank you

Marsh
18th October 2007, 14:01
Well done to everybody.

:saint:

Syd
18th October 2007, 14:31
Gilly, Wilkin, Fozz should all head for the hospital and get themselves sorted out and refreshed ready for another trophy haul in 2008.

OoOGazOoO
18th October 2007, 15:05
I know Maurie is ours, but having him play for GB is a joke.

thestatman
18th October 2007, 15:49
I think that is a very naive stance to take when you consider other sports and the Aussie RL.

The Aussies play Kiwis in their team. Brad Thorn, Karmichael Hunt and Tony Carroll.
Our cricket team is full of foriegners Pietersen etc. The RU team as well - remember Henry Paul and only about half of the World cup squad were born on these shores? Vainikolo will be next!
Football - Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada and brought up in Germany.

Maurie has settled over here and will probably never move back to his native Samoa permenantly. He qualifies on residency - which means he has a British Passport! He obviously feels a very strong alliegance to British Rugby League and to the country as a whole.

He obviously considers himself British as well as Samoan so I don't think that is anybody else's place to say otherwise.

If he warrants selection on merit then he should be in.

SaintJon
18th October 2007, 15:51
all i can say is if he shows the same amount of pride and passion as he did when he played for samoa in the world cup then lets unleash him :D

R P McMurphy
18th October 2007, 15:53
If he qualifies then he should be allowed to play.

daves
18th October 2007, 17:54
Gilly, Wilkin, Fozz should all head for the hospital and get themselves sorted out and refreshed ready for another trophy haul in 2008.

Spot on sir.

Knight Shadow
18th October 2007, 17:57
I know Maurie is ours, but having him play for GB is a joke.

it is not, the man has done so much for saints and now wants to show he thinks as the UK as home what grater way can a grate play do that than playing for the countrey he calls home?

Supersaint
18th October 2007, 17:58
it is not, the man has done so much for saints and now wants to show he thinks as the UK as home what grater way can a grate play do that than playing for the countrey he calls home?

Because he wasn't born here. He's Samoan end of.

Knight Shadow
18th October 2007, 18:20
but he is onley reqired leagley to be classed as british to play for the UK, but answer me this the britsih nation is manley forn we was conlised by meney people over the years and when we rebult after the second world war we called on are colneys to come and repopulate are countrey as we saw it all as one identey so realey i dont see the problem

gateaux
18th October 2007, 18:23
I think that is a very naive stance to take when you consider other sports and the Aussie RL.

The Aussies play Kiwis in their team. Brad Thorn, Karmichael Hunt and Tony Carroll.
Our cricket team is full of foriegners Pietersen etc. The RU team as well - remember Henry Paul and only about half of the World cup squad were born on these shores? Vainikolo will be next!

Maurie has settled over here and will probably never move back to his native Samoa permenantly. He qualifies on residency - which means he has a British Passport! He obviously feels a very strong alliegance to British Rugby League and to the country as a whole.

He obviously considers himself British as well as Samoan so I don't think that is anybody else's place to say otherwise.

If he warrants selection on merit then he should be in.Alll of this "well they do this and they do that" is rubbish imo just becuase it happens elsewhere doesnt make it right and it certainly doesnt mean we should do it.

We have plenty of british players who would kill for the chance to play for their national team so lets give them the chance before considering giving players a place as they "feel british" he may feel it but he isnt.

AJ_1878
18th October 2007, 18:26
Because he wasn't born here. He's Samoan end of.

I love the "end of" quote that people like yourself put on the end of your opinions......... and at the end of the day he qualifies through residency, Tony Smith our (Australian) Great Britain coach has picked him due to his availability for the upcoming test and I for one say good luck to him.

end of. ;)

AJ_1878
18th October 2007, 18:30
Alll of this "well they do this and they do that" is rubbish imo just becuase it happens elsewhere doesnt make it right and it certainly doesnt mean we should do it.
We have plenty of british players who would kill for the chance to play for their national team so lets give them the chance before considering giving players a place as they "feel british" he may feel it but he isnt.

It isn't happening just because other sports do it.....Please tell me you realise that right???
:eek:

Also as said above it is all legal and he actually qualifies. Nothing much about feelings HTH

gateaux
18th October 2007, 18:34
It isn't happening just because other sports do it.....Please tell me you realise that right???
:eek:

Also as said above it is all legal and he actually qualifies. Nothing much about feelings HTH:confused: :confused:

Another poster had tried to justify his inclusion by saying that it happens in other sports and other international RL teams, I was simply stating that even though that is the case it doesnt mean its right

Billinge Lump
18th October 2007, 18:34

If they were good enough this wouldn't be happening.

If he helps us to win a series for the first time in god knows how long, then it was the right decision.

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 19:14
**Saints player in National shocker!!!**

Chris Joynt, Steve Prescott, Tim Jonkers and Tommy God all played for Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_rugby_league_team

The list goes on!

Next you'll be moaning about Monty Panesar playing for England's Cricket team.

Supersaint
18th October 2007, 19:44
I love the "end of" quote that people like yourself put on the end of your opinions......... and at the end of the day he qualifies through residency, Tony Smith our (Australian) Great Britain coach has picked him due to his availability for the upcoming test and I for one say good luck to him.

end of. ;)

So he isn't a Samoan then?

parrsaint
18th October 2007, 21:01
**Saints player in National shocker!!!**

Chris Joynt, Steve Prescott, Tim Jonkers and Tommy God all played for Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_rugby_league_team

The list goes on!

Next you'll be moaning about Monty Panesar playing for England's Cricket team.

I hope he doesn't either because Panesar was born in Luton. If Maurie wants to play for GB then thats up to him if its permissible for him to be selected.

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 21:05
I hope he doesn't either because Panesar was born in Luton. If Maurie wants to play for GB then thats up to him if its permissible for him to be selected.

I bet some on here will be the first to say that he shouldnt play for England, but he has more rights to than the Saints boys did for their chosen national teams.

If its allowed, then why not? No one can turn and say 'Well you did it with a Samoan!', as the GB boys will be facing Fuifui Moimoi.

The only argument i see is, has Maurie been good enough to warrant his place in the side?

rob
18th October 2007, 21:34
Both Oz and NZ have been trying to persuade certain players to play for those countries due to some tedious rule allowing it. Whilst I don't agree that we should have non-UK nationals playing in the team, Maurie is a special case. He has only ever played the sport in the UK, he considers this is home and offered himself for selection independently.

I think the integrity of our national selectors is still intact, he was selected on ability and offered himself rather than any attempt to "recruit" him. He'll be a great addition to the squad. We need to improve our international standing and any help should be welcomed.

thestatman
18th October 2007, 21:45
Alll of this "well they do this and they do that" is rubbish imo just becuase it happens elsewhere doesnt make it right and it certainly doesnt mean we should do it.

The fact that he has a British Passport means he is British - like it or not.
The fact that everybody else does it wasn't really the main point I was making. If the bloke has a British Passport he is legally recognised as British. He obviously has a love for the country and has children that have been born here - who are going to grow up as Britons in Britain having spent their all theri life here. If I thought for one minute that the bloke was using it as a backdoor route into international RL I wouldn't speak up.

If you want to go down that route we may as well say that the Australians can only play aborigional players and the NZ team must be Maoris and the British team can only be made up of Anglo-Saxons who can prove their family history back to 700 AD.

You need to get out of the dark ages!

gateaux
18th October 2007, 21:47
Has he got a british passport? If so how has he got a british passport?

THELAST3YARDS
18th October 2007, 22:00
He is Samoan. He shouldn't be selected for GB.

Tony Smith is an Aussie, he shouldn't be the coach IMO.

International sport should be competition between nations and people born in those particular countries.

From 1 - 17 and all coaching staff should be born in the same country I think.

oldun
18th October 2007, 22:03

I assume he applied for it like everone else :???:

Knight Shadow
18th October 2007, 22:04

EU laws of citcenship, once you have resided in a countrey for 5 years you can apply to become a citcsen of said countrey same if i stayed in denmark for the next 5 years (dowt full sorrey am comming home i need me saints fix!) but it is regardless of were you come from

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 22:06
I assume he applied for it like everone else :???:

I think what gateaux is refering to is the fact that it takes 5 years before he becomes eligible for him to apply for one unless he is married to a british citizen. He only joined the club in 2004.

Or ive made that argument for her lol

gateaux
18th October 2007, 22:13
EU laws of citcenship, once you have resided in a countrey for 5 years you can apply to become a citcsen of said countrey same if i stayed in denmark for the next 5 years (dowt full sorrey am comming home i need me saints fix!) but it is regardless of were you come from
He hasnt been here for 5 years has he? Therefore how has he got a GB passport?

thestatman
18th October 2007, 22:25
Gateaux go and read the Daily Mail with Enoch Powell you idiot!

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 22:29

Good work. Thats just ruined any future discussion.

gateaux
18th October 2007, 22:31
a very insightful post that!:rolleyes:

Knight Shadow
18th October 2007, 22:32
He hasnt been here for 5 years has he? Therefore how has he got a GB passport?

he has if i rember correct

Saints-Crusaders
18th October 2007, 22:33
IIRC, reading the story it said he needed to be resident over here for 4 years.......... i always thought it was 5 years too, but i'm sure the initial story stated it was just 4 years

gateaux
18th October 2007, 22:34
he has if i rember correct
He signed for Saints Winter 2003, and that was when he came over from Samoa wasnt it? In which case he has only been here just coming up to 4 years.

Knight Shadow
18th October 2007, 22:38
ok been traweing through sky sports for this and found it

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12206_2740602,00.html

just over 4 years probley near to 5 years onley has to be aproxsmate

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 23:09
He signed for Saints Winter 2003, and that was when he came over from Samoa wasnt it? In which case he has only been here just coming up to 4 years.

06/01/04. He signed on the Epiphany.

gateaux
18th October 2007, 23:11
06/01/04. He signed on the Epiphany.
then the redvee player profiles are wrong ;)

In that case and assuming he moved here on or around that date he hasnt even been here for the 4 years needed

geordie saint
18th October 2007, 23:15
i dont agree with Maurie playing for GB one little bit, but if he pulls on the jersey then he is GB all the way

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 23:15
then the redvee player profiles are wrong ;)

In that case and assuming he moved here on or around that date he hasnt even been here for the 4 years needed

He may have been here before the date he signed ;) His World Cup campaign would have been finished by now.

THELAST3YARDS
18th October 2007, 23:39
So you qualify by residency by all accounts.

I have a mate who studied medicine in Cardiff for 6 years I think, he worked at a hospital in North Wales after qualifying.

Could he then be eligible for Wales at any sport he wishes?

Ridiculous notion in my opinion!

At the risk of angering the PC brigade, it's black and white to me.

You play for the country you were born in.

Billinge Lump
19th October 2007, 00:03

I have a mate who studied medicine in Cardiff for 6 years I think, he worked at a hospital in North Wales after qualifying.

That's been knocked on the head by most countries in most sports at one time or another.

I'd like to know how he qualifies though, seeing as NZ had Tri Nations points docked recently for irregularities in this kind of case.

THELAST3YARDS
19th October 2007, 00:06
That's been knocked on the head by most countries in most sports at one time or another.

I'd like to know how he qualifies though, seeing as NZ had Tri Nations points docked recently for irregularities in this kind of case.

I know it's too late for my view to be undertaken as there are so many qualifying loopholes nowadays.

Great point raised re the NZ hooker from last year though.

Nathan Fein was it???

Sean Day
19th October 2007, 09:30
Always used to say British born only myself when it came to selection. We live in a different world now though...every country is doing it in every sport.

R P McMurphy
19th October 2007, 11:29

The United Kingdom do not recognise birth in the UK as a stand alone entitlement to UK Citizinship. In fact there are only a few countries that do.

pricey73
19th October 2007, 12:04
if gb win and he plays hope he doesn't do his haka

Sausalito
19th October 2007, 12:45

You can play for a country if you are domiciled in that country for more than 4yrs.

Look at Simmons(not sure about the spelling) the Aussie cricketer, he chose them though he was born in England.
Keppler Vessals South african born and bred, played for south Africa then moved to Australia and played for them. There's loads of cases.:???:

NortonSaint
19th October 2007, 14:03
This has probably been raised earlier but including foreign nationals, in the GB team on the grounds of 4 years residency, just smacks of buying a national side. If someone wants to take up UK citizenship and play for GB thats fair enough. For every Maurie in the GB side it keeps out a UK citizen that was either born here or has taken British Nationality.

Shaft
19th October 2007, 14:27
You can play for a country if you are domiciled in that country for more than 4yrs.

Look at Simmons(not sure about the spelling) the Aussie cricketer, he chose them though he was born in England.
Keppler Vessals South african born and bred, played for south Africa then moved to Australia and played for them. There's loads of cases.:???:

2 different cases there. Symonds was born in the UK to West Indian parents, before being adopted and moved to Australia. England tried to get him to play for them (as he is top drawer), but he realised having lived all his life in Oz that they were his team. Wessles played for Australia after moving there. At that time there was no international cricket in SA due to apartheid.

But yes, your general point is correct! ;)

THELAST3YARDS
19th October 2007, 14:53
The United Kingdom do not recognise birth in the UK as a stand alone entitlement to UK Citizinship. In fact there are only a few countries that do.

We're not discussing citizenship.
The question is should someone born outside of the United Kingdom represent them in a sporting arena?
I think not.
There are far too many loopholes at the moment in my opinion.

Billinge Lump
19th October 2007, 14:57
This has probably been raised earlier but including foreign nationals, in the GB team on the grounds of 4 years residency, just smacks of buying a national side. If someone wants to take up UK citizenship and play for GB thats fair enough. For every Maurie in the GB side it keeps out a UK citizen that was either born here or has taken British Nationality.

That's a bollocks argument, if they were good enough Fa'asavalau wouldn't even be considered.

Though I do think that you should be a citizen of the country by birth or otherwise. I also think that once you've played for a national side at a fairly high level (ie 21s and up) you should be stuck to that country and be unable to play for anyone else.

R P McMurphy
19th October 2007, 14:58
We're not discussing citizenship.
The question is should someone born outside of the United Kingdom represent them in a sporting arena?
I think not.
There are far too many loopholes at the moment in my opinion.

So according to you the criteria for British citzenship :

nationality of Parentage

Residency

should be ignored for something which is not recognised by the British Government as a means of claiming UK Nationality i.e place of birth?

THELAST3YARDS
19th October 2007, 15:08
I am not getting into the citizenship question again.

I think to represent a country at any sport you should have been born in that country.

It's that simple for me.

southernsaint7
19th October 2007, 15:18

I think to represent a country at any sport you should have been born in that country.

It's that simple for me.

so if you were born at sea you couldn't represent a nation?

If you were born whilst on holiday in a country you would have to represent the country you may only have been in for a week?

Billinge Lump
19th October 2007, 15:28

If you were born whilst on holiday in a country you would have to represent the country you may only have been in for a week?

No, you'd have to represent the sea. And if you were born on a plane, then you have to represent the air.

Only when in international zones mind.

R P McMurphy
19th October 2007, 15:50

It's that simple for me.

So if someone is a British citizen they still shouldn't be allowed to represent the country unless they were born here then?

I suppose you would define someone as only being a true sintelliner if they were born within the bounderies of the Borough then?

Cedarman
19th October 2007, 15:50

........surely it is where your birth is registered.

Cedarman
19th October 2007, 15:52
So if someone is a British citizen they still shouldn't be allowed to represent the country unless they were born here then?

I suppose you would define someone as only being a true sintelliner if they were born with the bounderies of the Borough then?

......................so if you came from sintellins and lived in wiggin for more than four years you can qualifiy to be a PIE!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Billinge Lump
19th October 2007, 16:00

I suppose you would define someone as only being a true sintelliner if they were born within the bounderies of the Borough then?

I would say that a true sintelliner would be yes, there aren't that many around these days.

R P McMurphy
19th October 2007, 16:08
......................so if you came from sintellins and lived in wiggin for more than four years you can qualifiy to be a PIE!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Im just getting clarification that according to this forum the eligibilty to represent your country at sport should have nothing to do with

where you have lived t

The nationality of your parents

Or what it says on your passport

but simply were your mother was when her waters broke?

Wizards Sleeve
19th October 2007, 16:57
That's a bollocks argument, if they were good enough Fa'asavalau wouldn't even be considered.

Though I do think that you should be a citizen of the country by birth or otherwise. I also think that once you've played for a national side at a fairly high level (ie 21s and up) you should be stuck to that country and be unable to play for anyone else.

I don't see why that argument is bollocks. If Fa'asavalu was the best player in the world for example, then other GB players would not get in before him. If a certain 17 Aussies decided to live here for 4-5 years, then few British players would ever get to play for GB.

THELAST3YARDS
19th October 2007, 18:23

By jove, I think you've got it.

It's a simple concept that I believe is right.

One clear rule for all sport, none of the phoney team members however good they may be. EG Maurie, Kevin Pieterson, Tulsen Tollett, Mike Catt and Terry Butcher et al.

They are not English.

R P McMurphy
22nd October 2007, 13:21
By jove, I think you've got it.

It's a simple concept that I believe is right.

One clear rule for all sport, none of the phoney team members however good they may be. EG Maurie, Kevin Pieterson, Tulsen Tollett, Mike Catt and Terry Butcher et al.

They are not English.

Well based on your well thought out theory what would happen if someone like yourself was born in cloud cuckoo land........by jove?

Unionconvert
22nd October 2007, 16:39
On the basis of only being able to play for your "country of Birth" can some one confirm which country Children of our Armed Forces can play for? I for one was born of English Parents with an Older (and younger) sister born in England however when I was born my parents were stationed in Libya Consequently are you saying that my family are English but I am Libyan???????

Syd
22nd October 2007, 16:56
On the basis of only being able to play for your "country of Birth" can some one confirm which country Children of our Armed Forces can play for? I for one was born of English Parents with an Older (and younger) sister born in England however when I was born my parents were stationed in Libya Consequently are you saying that my family are English but I am Libyan???????
What does your birth certificate say? Do they do birth certs in libya? Do you have a libyan passport and a british one to? I hear that most folks who are born in a country, but reside back in another country get a dual passpor,t ok its mainly aussies / kiwis I hear who have this, jsut wondering if yo get the same?

Unionconvert
22nd October 2007, 17:02
I do in fact only hold a Britsh Passport but in theory I could apply for a libyan passport - Don't fancy 2 years national service though!

Syd
22nd October 2007, 17:59
I do in fact only hold a Britsh Passport but in theory I could apply for a libyan passport - Don't fancy 2 years national service though!

hahaha no you leave that passport alone cockle ;)

rlcoach
22nd October 2007, 18:46

If he warrants selection on merit then he should be in.

Its rubbish, he shouldn't be selected. Nor should any of the others on the above list. You aren't suppose to be selected on merit, you are suppose to be selected on nationality and merit. When players are picked who are doing it for purely personal gain, it waters down the whole purpose of playing for your country.

It's a farce.

Mind you, once the world cup comes around, we will have alsorts of players whipping out irish, scottish or welsh grandmothers... or at least proof on going of holiday there...

THELAST3YARDS
22nd October 2007, 22:23
Well based on your well thought out theory what would happen if someone like yourself was born in cloud cuckoo land........by jove?

R P,

If a place called Cloudcuckooland existed, then whoever was born there would be eligible to represent them.

Is it too difficult a concept to realise that I don't agree with the qualifying rules as they stand currently.

I think the residency rule is ridiculous.

I think if you were born overseas to British parents then you should represent the country you were born in.

I think, in a nutshell, that all people who are connected to an international sports team should have been born in that country.
Players - Coaches - Physios - Management - Everyone.

derek acorah
22nd October 2007, 22:44
Just been talking to my source from Worcester,tells me that Wilkin will be pulled out of the GB suad within the next 2 days,for surgery of some kind.He also said as well as his bicep,Fozzards shoulders goosed to.As long as Napoleon O'Loughlin isnt fit for Gb then we should be fine.

Knight Shadow
23rd October 2007, 06:43
Just been talking to my source from Worcester,tells me that Wilkin will be pulled out of the GB suad within the next 2 days,for surgery of some kind.He also said as well as his bicep,Fozzards shoulders goosed to.As long as Napoleon O'Loughlin isnt fit for Gb then we should be fine.

wlikin said in his last colum he was injered and was going to play through it as he realey wanted to play for GB so must of gotten worse

R P McMurphy
23rd October 2007, 12:01
R P,

If a place called Cloudcuckooland existed, then whoever was born there would be eligible to represent them.

Is it too difficult a concept to realise that I don't agree with the qualifying rules as they stand currently.

I think if you were born overseas to British parents then you should represent the country you were born in.

I think, in a nutshell, that all people who are connected to an international sports team should have been born in that country.

So as its recognised that very few countries recognise birth in the country as a stand alone right to nationality of that country, then consequently according to your theory you would have a whole load of sports people in various sports representing countries that they have no right to.......makes sense!

R P McMurphy
23rd October 2007, 13:26
R P,

Just to respond again with what you said believe it of not I see where your coming from with your argument, however place of birth in the grand scheme of things is not important generally so under your method it would be possible but highly unlikely that you could have a team full of players representing the UK or England who were born here but not entitled to British citizenship. So in reality the only true benchmark for eligibility for a national team would be citizenship of that country …..therefore we come back to Faz being eligible.

THELAST3YARDS
23rd October 2007, 19:09
Just to respond again with what you said believe it of not I see where your coming from with your argument, however place of birth in the grand scheme of things is not important generally so under your method it would be possible but highly unlikely that you could have a team full of players representing the UK or England who were born here but not entitled to British citizenship. So in reality the only true benchmark for eligibility for a national team would be citizenship of that country …..therefore we come back to Faz being eligible.

In my opinion, birthplace should be the only criteria.

Populations change as people move for work (a la Maurie) which I completely understand.
If someone offered me a job that I fancied overseas then I would go.
If I was there for 4 years+ then I do not think this should affect my eligiblilty for international sports competition (If I had the necessary skills.)

Gerry Mander
23rd October 2007, 21:02
Seem to be missing the point on this one.

The world has changed and the mobility of people has
changed many cultures and societies leaving many people with
a choice between representing a country of birth , upbringing
or family links.

The issue for me is that once a choice has been made
it should be stuck to.

Maurie represented Samoa so that should be it.
If he came to th UK having not represented another
country then he should be free to represent England/GB
at any sport.

That's why people like Mike Catt have credibility
and Henry Paul does not.

Unionconvert
24th October 2007, 09:34
In my opinion, birthplace should be the only criteria.

Populations change as people move for work (a la Maurie) which I completely understand.
If someone offered me a job that I fancied overseas then I would go.
If I was there for 4 years+ then I do not think this should affect my eligiblilty for international sports competition (If I had the necessary skills.)

Whilst I appreciate (and Agree with) your comments regarding "You" working over seas for 4+ years and not necessarily being eligible to play International Sport for that country - what about your Children? If during your 4 year stint you and your partner had children then returned to the UK when they were aged 1 or 2 are you saying that they can only play for the country of Birth if they have then spent 20+ years in the UK?

Sausalito
24th October 2007, 12:58
Did we have all these posts when Carney played for GB??
What a tosser he was, kept his head down when the the team were singing the National Anthem:confused:

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
24th October 2007, 13:07
Did we have all these posts when Carney played for GB??
What a tosser he was, kept his head down when the the team were singing the National Anthem:confused:

:???:

1) why would there be any issue with Brian Carney playing for the team "Great Britain and Ireland"?

2) why should Brian Carney sing the National Anthem of a country he is not a national of?

3) why do we sing the British national anthem only - when the team represents 2 seperate countries?

THELAST3YARDS
24th October 2007, 18:47
Whilst I appreciate (and Agree with) your comments regarding "You" working over seas for 4+ years and not necessarily being eligible to play International Sport for that country - what about your Children? If during your 4 year stint you and your partner had children then returned to the UK when they were aged 1 or 2 are you saying that they can only play for the country of Birth if they have then spent 20+ years in the UK?

If I worked in e.g Spain, then if my kids were born there then they should only represent Spain.

Sausalito
25th October 2007, 01:10
:???:

1) why would there be any issue with Brian Carney playing for the team "Great Britain and Ireland"?

2) why should Brian Carney sing the National Anthem of a country he is not a national of?

3) why do we sing the British national anthem only - when the team represents 2 seperate countries?

1. Carney played for Gt. Britain only, the Ireland bit was dropped ( after 8yrs) in 2003.

2. So we should use two national anthems to accomodate anyone not born in the British isles???

3. The team represents only Gt. Britain.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

R P McMurphy
25th October 2007, 10:53
If I worked in e.g Spain, then if my kids were born there then they should only represent Spain.

If your kids were born there the Spanish govt would only recognise them as Spanish nationals if you or your partner were a Spanish national, or if you had waited a length of time to claim residency therefore bestowing on them Spanish nationality, this after renouncing any claim to UK nationality, as the Spanish Govt do not recognise dual nationality unless your from Latin American countries.

So for example if you and your partner returned to the Uk after your child was born. Spain would not accept your child playing football/ tiddlywinks for them but under your method you wouldn't allow them to by for England/ UK either. It can all get complicated due to different countries requirements consequently it should go on what your passport says or if your eligible for a passport for that particular country.

THELAST3YARDS
25th October 2007, 22:51
Can I put this one to bed and say I disagree.

My view only.

It's never likely to happen in this day and age and we should just get on with supporting GB at the weekend even if it does contain our Samoan.

Come on the Lions!