PDA

View Full Version : London Indie Club??

Geoggy
17th October 2007, 15:22
Without starting a war on what Indie means (i'm applying the commercial generic phrase to killers / oasis/ roses / carpets etc etc) can anyone recommend a good place for a Saturday night in London?

Got a poly reunion in a few weeks and the place we were due to go to has shut (the garage in islington - must have heard we were coming).

Must be fairly central ish - anyone help?

Thanks

Div
17th October 2007, 15:37
Camden Underworld or The Borderline are both decent.

Geoggy
17th October 2007, 15:39
been to the underworld a few times - its always been ok - where is the borderline div?

Shakespeare
17th October 2007, 23:56
Balls to the club!!!

YOU WENT TO A POLYTECHNIC?

Pauper.

Geoggy
18th October 2007, 10:50
getting into a poly after the standard of education i got at cowley 6th form was a major achievement la!

my degree certificate says "university of......."

so there.

Shakespeare
18th October 2007, 10:54
Thats only because they used a biro to write over 'Polytechnic'

Saint Bert
18th October 2007, 10:56
Tweed

DD
18th October 2007, 11:05
been to the underworld a few times - its always been ok - where is the borderline div?

Manette Street. Just off Charing Cross Road in the city.

More like it than the Underworld.

The Underworld has never played any of the bands you mention on a Saturday. It's all obscure rubbish.

The Greatest
18th October 2007, 11:13

The Underworld has never played any of the bands you mention on a Saturday. It's all obscure rubbish.

I sense a music snobbery debate coming up here lol

Geoggy
18th October 2007, 12:29
borderline it is then

cant find a club called tweed al

;)

Geoggy
29th October 2007, 17:35
thanks for all the help in this thread.

we went to the borderline and it was a superb night.

just what we were after.

Div
29th October 2007, 18:01
thanks for all the help in this thread.

we went to the borderline and it was a superb night.

just what we were after.

I wont put you on a bum steer mate . ;) lol

Sorry didnt reply to your question I had left for Bratislava !!

Div
29th October 2007, 18:02

Translates as Dave hasnt listened to anything new since 1985 and doesnt know well known but later tunes. ;)

Geoggy
29th October 2007, 18:48
I wont put you on a bum steer mate . ;) lol

Sorry didnt reply to your question I had left for Bratislava !!

no worries - it really was a great night.

those london kids didnt know what hit them

lol

DD
29th October 2007, 19:40
Translates as Dave hasnt listened to anything new since 1985 and doesnt know well known but later tunes. ;)

It was you who was moaning about tunes being too modern in the Border Line, not me. ;)

Div
30th October 2007, 13:27
It was you who was moaning about tunes being too modern in the Border Line, not me. ;)

I think my gripe was that it was a bit too mainstream / predicatble indie not the age of it.

Supersaint
30th October 2007, 17:48
I think my gripe was that it was a bit too mainstream / predicatble indie not the age of it.

By that you mean it's been in the Charts :eek:

Div
30th October 2007, 18:06
By that you mean it's been in the Charts :eek:

Maybe, but personally I would call the likes The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs pop music not indie. They played all the tunes from the artists you would expect and you would imagine them playing the same every week. Ok though.

A decent indie club ( in my opinion of course ) would play some stuff a bit less obvious.

Scruffs in Warrington was the best Indie club ever.

DD
30th October 2007, 19:39
Maybe, but personally I would call the likes The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs pop music not indie. They played all the tunes from the artists you would expect and you would imagine them playing the same every week. Ok though.

A decent indie club ( in my opinion of course ) would play some stuff a bit less obvious.

Scruffs in Warrington was the best Indie club ever.

Yes, Scruffs did have a similarity to to the Underworld. Obscure tuneless rubbish, requested only by the Under 18s with fetishes for B sides of bands no-one had heard of!

Pink Pig Jim will be happy with the compliment. He (and they) need all the support they can get these days. lol

The Greatest
30th October 2007, 22:03
Yes, Scruffs did have a similarity to to the Underworld. Obscure tuneless rubbish, requested only by the Under 18s with fetishes for B sides of bands no-one had heard of!

spot on fella.

Sheer music snobbery where the connoisseurs decide that for a band to be good has to be un heard of and produce their music in one of the band members garages. This is performed for 3 reasons......1) To look cool by following an obscure band. 2) To look knowlegable about music. 3) Sheep following (which is sort of the same as number 1)

If one of the above mentioned true indie bands dares to become more famous or popular then they are ditched for being too mainstream. It is no longer cool, trendy and odd to follow these so they are dumped.

Why cant people just like a band because the music is listenable to rather than going to the far end of a fart about how the music was produced and how many other people like it?

Supersaint
30th October 2007, 22:48
spot on fella.

Sheer music snobbery where the connoisseurs decide that for a band to be good has to be un heard of and produce their music in one of the band members garages. This is performed for 3 reasons......1) To look cool by following an obscure band. 2) To look knowlegable about music. 3) Sheep following (which is sort of the same as number 1)

If one of the above mentioned true indie bands dares to become more famous or popular then they are ditched for being too mainstream. It is no longer cool, trendy and odd to follow these so they are dumped.

Why cant people just like a band because the music is listenable to rather than going to the far end of a fart about how the music was produced and how many other people like it?

Spot on.

Shakespeare
30th October 2007, 22:50
spot on fella.

Why cant all chemicals just be mixed to make pretty colours?

You do talk some shite Christof!

The Greatest
30th October 2007, 23:18
Why cant all chemicals just be mixed to make pretty colours?!

Sadly, I could answer that :D

You do talk some shite Christof!

:D

It was 100% true though. Are you seriously going to tell me that there arent loads of people who follow a music trend rather than just liking the music??

Div
31st October 2007, 11:00
Spot on.

Not for most its not.

Div
31st October 2007, 11:00

Pink Pig Jim will be happy with the compliment. He (and they) need all the support they can get these days. lol

They played hardly anything obscure in my opinion.

Geoggy
1st November 2007, 13:27
personally I would call the likes The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs pop music

Its indie rock n roll, for me.

The Greatest
1st November 2007, 13:37
Maybe, but personally I would call the likes The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs pop music not indie. .

But your only not calling them indie because they have become popular, they are still playing the same music. Take the Artic Monkeys for example. Two to three years ago you would have branded them indie.....a little band releasing a few songs on the internet and building their profile that way. These songs at the time would be "obscure" and relatively unheard of and fit your definition of indie. Now, all of a sudden they are huge. By your definition, they are no longer indie, no longer odd and obscure and presumably you would think much of a club that played their stuff because it is now no different than other popular groups like the Kaiser Chiefs etc... They are still playing the same stuff though, so in real terms nothing has changed.

As for calling the Kaiser Chiefs and other similar bands as pop groups this is just a simple way of saying they are good. Good music sells because it is good to listen to therefore it becomes popular. Obscure bands play music that isnt as listenable to (so some would say isnt as good) and as a result dont become as popular.