PDA

View Full Version : REDVEE UPDATE: 2007 Player Reviews

DD
16th October 2007, 15:49
To conclude the business for the season I have compiled an end of term for the significant members of the Saints team throughout 2007.

See if you agree with my player reviews.

http://www.redvee.net/readarticle.php?article_id=678

The Chair Maker
16th October 2007, 18:06
Pretty much agree with what you have said, apart from the bit about loaning out Scott Moore.

Blobbynator
16th October 2007, 18:12
Yeah, pretty much agree with most of that. I've not been as impressed with Cayless this year though and although I can see your point on Wilkin, for me he's been excellent for the majority of the year.

are you blind ref
16th October 2007, 18:19
There's a repeating thread in there - many started off OK but got tired towards the end of the season. Winning everything means playing more games than everyone else and it seems to have taken its tole this year.

Reacher
16th October 2007, 18:22
Agree with nearly all but not with your take on Gilmour. Have to say I am disappointed in Gilly this year. I really rate the lad and have done even when he was at Wigan and Bradford. I feel he is one of the most under rated players in SL but this year feel that he has offered little in attack. At times previosuly he has been like a centre, and was regularly making breaks but this season he has been all about defence.

He seems to have really struggled with injuries this season and has picked up knocks very easy but he seems to be a long way from what he has been before, his try at Leeds away last season for example when he scored from 40 metres out. I hope the off season gives him new freshness as he is a great player on his day.

OoOGazOoO
16th October 2007, 18:33
Good stuff Dave.

Not easy things to put together and i agree with the large part of it.

There seems to be a theme though, i.e. players' form decling as the season came to an end.

Saint Jasper
16th October 2007, 19:23
Agree with nearly all but not with your take on Gilmour. Have to say I am disappointed in Gilly this year. I really rate the lad and have done even when he was at Wigan and Bradford. I feel he is one of the most under rated players in SL but this year feel that he has offered little in attack. At times previosuly he has been like a centre, and was regularly making breaks but this season he has been all about defence.

He seems to have really struggled with injuries this season and has picked up knocks very easy but he seems to be a long way from what he has been before, his try at Leeds away last season for example when he scored from 40 metres out. I hope the off season gives him new freshness as he is a great player on his day.

I actually think Gilly is one of our most underrated players. At times it's been like he's had a target painted on his head the number of opposition players who've whacked him round the face. Usually he gets up and plays on. We certainly missed him when he was injured.
I also think Wilkin has had a decent season - not outstanding but overall pretty good. Most of our team have struggled recently, which has maybe taken the shine off their performances.

Sausalito
16th October 2007, 20:24
Saints losing their dominance... fast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to be contraversional:-
Personally i think Saints are on the slide, can't see us winning the Grand Final, and next season could win nothing. We need a good Half Back and a top Loose Forward, quickly.

Wellens...... steady/safe
Gardner..... no pace
Gidley....... flatters to deceive
Talau........ steady/safe
Meli.......... lazy
Pryce........ top man when he wants.
Long......... over the hill.
Cayless..... Workhorse
Cunningham ..half the player he was.
Fozzard.....revalation this season
Wilkin...... overrated, lucky to play in the best team
Gilmour..... gone off the boil
Bennett.... if he played for another team, we would not buy him?
Sculthorpe..finished.
Flannery.....Jurys out?????
Roby......... a jewel
Clough...... promising
Hargreaves... not good enough, but give him another season
Graham.....good second half of the season.
Fassi........ like Palli from Wigan 10 minute player.
Tyrer.......let's see how he develops, goalkicking gives him an edge.
Now

dufc4
16th October 2007, 20:48
•••• me. Were doomed. DA should resign as three out of four trophies are cleary not good enough.

Sean Day
16th October 2007, 20:57
Good piece Dave. Found myself nodding in agreement all the way through. Also, like others, it made me realise how many players faded in the last few months of the season. Makes you wonder how much that had to do with Saturday.

Something that stook out for me on Saturday was when we were trailing by about 10 points (could be wrong), the ball went out and Roby ran to set up a scrum quickly, urging others to hurry up and join him. Basically the whole pack were walking 20 yards behind him with hands on heads. Totally knackered.

Sausalito
16th October 2007, 21:51
•••• me. Were doomed. DA should resign as three out of four trophies are cleary not good enough.
This post was from 16th September, seems as though i was right:???:

topteam
16th October 2007, 21:52
Well done DD, that takes time and effort to put together.

I generally agree with your take on the players this season, however I do see the need for a shake up next season. Fantastic team winning almost everyting over the last two years, but somehow I think this isn't the team to repeat that success next year.
Following a similar note I have added my own thoughts :

Wellens...... steady/safe..Mr 100% every game
Gardner..... suffers from terrible lack of confidence that shows in his game
Gidley....... following Lyon was his hardest task this season, next year will show potential or otherwise
Talau........ old and out paced, good defence generally, one to go.
Meli.......... mixed form all season, but he's great when he is on form.
Pryce........ A man for spotting a gap, good support play, but stop kicking the ball.
Long..........best days behind him, Smith should learn what he can this season.
Cayless..... Not spectacular, but dependable forward.
Cunningham ..half the player he was, and twice the size, could be one more year is one too many.
Fozzard.....revalation this season, but hope he can continue
Wilkin...... generally a dissapointment this year, hoped for better
Gilmour..... steady player, but suffers with knocks in back play a lot this year, may end up being plagued with longer term injuries next.
Bennett.... Nothing special, 10 a penny, another to go.
Sculthorpe.Like every year recently we hope this is his great comeback year, recent years form has him out the game by May.
Flannery.....Great defence, but can't see much more, 2008 will show us.
Roby......... Superstar, and tough as nails, sign him sign him sign him.
Clough...... promising
Hargreaves... Not seen enough of him, when I have he was average
Graham.....Another one for signing, great talent, got the odd try as well.
Fassi........ Like Anderson at Bradford, given more playing time may prove more effective.
Tyrer.......good turn of speed, goalkicking a definate edge, my vote for future stardom.
Smith......straight laced player, needs to be a bit more cheeky in his play like Long and Martyn years ago.

dufc4
16th October 2007, 22:04
This post was from 16th September
No todays 16th of october if u didnt notice :)

Saint Ryan
16th October 2007, 23:28
I agree with most things but, like you say Gardner can't get around the outside man. Maybe this is a possiblity for next season? As most teams expect him to cut in on the inside, maybe he should try going on the outside. But great article.

RobyGerrard
16th October 2007, 23:54
Evening all!
1st post on this site. Happy to be on board!
Totally agree with most of your reviews. Glad to see you giving Cayless the praise he's due - I think he can get even better; read on the BBC forum that there's rumours he's going home for personal reasons - anyone know if this is true? Hope not; think we'll be a lesser team without him.
Anyway, some highlights of the season;
Roby's tries v Pies away, Catalans at Wembley, even Leeds in GF!!
Wembley.
Roby Man of Steel.
Reebok v Broncos - even though I missed 1st 25 mins - anyone else have trouble parking at this place?
1st 25 mins v Bulls at home - great Rugby!
Tonking the Wire twice away- Morley getting sent-off at home!
SL play-off v Leeds - what a performance!
That bloke winning "Kick for the Car"!
All in all 3 out of 4 ain't bad. Roll on 2008!

Scouse Don
17th October 2007, 11:59
Great Post Dave.........don't know where you get the time to do it.is this your job?

Just a basic point really....Everyone seems to be agreeing that we lack pace and Stamina a bit this season.However dont forget we played more games than anyone else and had as many injuries ,if not more,than others to contend with.

Secondly..on the pace side...I think other teams have just caught up with us a bit this year..the salary cap is spreading the quality players around..good players don't become bad players or slower playeers overnight.

I am sure this is something that DA is aware of and I think the answer is using the younger guys more in the "lesser" games to ensure the "older" and more experienced guys are fresher.
A big disappointment for me was that we did'nt see more of young Eastmond he looks to me that he may be just what we need,blooded properly,a bit of spark.Maybe he was a bit more injured than i thought when he was clattered in the Salford game.
Hope we see more of him next year.Otherwise our youngsters look good and very competant.

Don't see how we can make any big signings given the salary cap.We are still the best when fit and fresh IMO.

REGARDS TO EVERYONE.

sale_mike
17th October 2007, 15:05
Marks out of 10:

Wellens 9
Gardner 7
Gidley 6
Talau 6
Meli 6
Pryce 7
Long 5
Fozzard 8
Cunningham 8
Cayless 7
Gilmour 6
Flannery 5
Wilkin 6
Roby 8
Graham 7
Faasavalu 6
Bennett 5
Clough 7
Smith 6
Tyler 6
Moore 5
Hargreaves 5

The Wee Waa Womble
17th October 2007, 23:34
Maurie stopped playing as well when he grew his hair. You can't put the fear of god into the opposition when you look like a big jesse.
Get it cut. (same goes for that bit on the back of Cayless's hair)

Knight Shadow
19th October 2007, 10:33

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to be contraversional:-[/B]
Personally i think Saints are on the slide, can't see us winning the Grand Final, and next season could win nothing. We need a good Half Back and a top Loose Forward, quickly.

Wellens...... steady/safe
Gardner..... no pace
Gidley....... flatters to deceive
Talau........ steady/safe
Meli.......... lazy
Pryce........ top man when he wants.
Long......... over the hill.
Cayless..... Workhorse
Cunningham ..half the player he was.
Fozzard.....revalation this season
Wilkin...... overrated, lucky to play in the best team
Gilmour..... gone off the boil
Bennett.... if he played for another team, we would not buy him?
Sculthorpe..finished.
Flannery.....Jurys out?????
Roby......... a jewel
Clough...... promising
Hargreaves... not good enough, but give him another season
Graham.....good second half of the season.
Fassi........ like Palli from Wigan 10 minute player.
Tyrer.......let's see how he develops, goalkicking gives him an edge.
Now

gona put this one blunt for you "contraversional" way of starting it but are you off your trolley! i thoght the spanish people ideal with out hear with mad but you have toped it! KC may be half the man in your terms but when teams play agens us it is not how to stop him it is damage limtation as he knows the game he is a real thret! gardner has pace he has skill he is just a bit clumbsey and is comming along grate as a player i think i am right as he has had a GB call up! these are my main 2 gripes but it is to erley and i have not finshed me morning burw to deal with this trip yet

DD
19th October 2007, 20:23
Marks out of ten? Go on then:-

Wellens 9
Gardner 6
Gidley 8 (first half) 5 (second half)
Talau 6
Meli 7
Pryce 7
Long 5
Fozzard 9
Cunningham 7
Cayless 6
Gilmour 6
Flannery 5
Wilkin 6
Roby 9 (first half) 7 (second half)
Graham 6 (first half) 9 (second half)
Faasavalu 7 (first half) 4 (second half)
Bennett 7 (first half) 4 (second half)
Clough 7
Smith 6.5
Tyrer 6
Moore 5
Hargreaves 5

Blobbynator
19th October 2007, 20:35
It's definitely been a year of two halves for some players and that's down to fatigue and injuries.

I've just seen highlights of some of our games earlier in the year and there was a big difference in the performance levels of Roby, Gilmour, Gidley, Bennett, Talau, Cunningham and most definitely Fa'asavalu. All of those seemed to suffer injury and/or fatigue later on in the year. The only one that got better by the end was James Graham.

I think next year we'll see a very fresh Saints, particularly early on. I just hope we peak nicely for the Play Offs and don't run out of steam. I think we've got one big year left in Saints, before transition takes place.

Tallahassee
24th October 2007, 21:09
I think we all virtually agree on a few things...Gidley needs to improve for next season,Talau and Bennett to go,Sculthorpe will probably retire if his season is over early again next season,Long and Cunningham will probably pack in at the end of next season(good luck to all three as well as they have served Saints brilliantly).All downers but we do have some great hope Graham and Roby are gonna get even better,Wilkin surely cant get any worse than last season,Clough and Tyrer look great for the future.We may not be all conquering next season but when did we have the right to be anyway?:confused: