PDA

View Full Version : Youngster To Step Up?

Paul Cullen's Mantra
15th October 2007, 20:15
If, as DA suggests. we are not going make any major signings, which of our youngsters are going to step up next season?
Discuss

the_messiah_saint
15th October 2007, 20:53
all the youngsters who've been playing for us this season who else:???:

dufc4
15th October 2007, 20:54
James Roby

Paul Cullen's Mantra
15th October 2007, 20:56
all the youngsters who've been playing for us this season who else:???:

I mean the players who have yet to break into the first team squad..

the_messiah_saint
15th October 2007, 20:58
James Roby

Dufc4

LOLlol

Suomi Saint
15th October 2007, 21:06
I reckon we'll be seeing a lot more of Matty Smith, he has impressed me this season, and I think his kicking game has improved a lot too, compared to what it was like in his first few appearances. I think Tyrer will get some more appearances, and Eastmond, Dean, Hull may also feature a few times, depending on their progress.

the_messiah_saint
15th October 2007, 21:21
anybody know whats happening with Ian Hardman???:confused:

rammsteinbloke
15th October 2007, 21:50
anybody know whats happening with Ian Hardman???:confused:

Hull KR didn't offer him a permanent contract, so I guess unless any offers come in from anyone else, he'll be back here next year.

the_messiah_saint
15th October 2007, 22:58
Hull KR didn't offer him a permanent contract, so I guess unless any offers come in from anyone else, he'll be back here next year.

Cheers;)

Legendary Supporter
15th October 2007, 22:59
Watch out for Gary Wheeler, Alex McClurg, Gareth Frodsham, Jonny Lomax & Jamie Foster. They are very young but I don't think it will be too long before these guys names are on the tip of everyones tongue.

IMHO though, the next three players though that may be looking a gaining more 1st Team game time are Ste Tyrer, Matty Smith and Kyle Eastmond.

topteam
15th October 2007, 23:27
Not sure were DA suggested no new signings but sometimes decisions are forced upon you with surprise retirements etc.

The team have a number of "old timers" knocking around now.
KC another year
Longy another two
Scully another year
Talau I think about two more
Fozzy
Gilly

Superstars on super wages some of them.

A refreshing change in the squad is now due.
Youngsters like Eastmond is great but there is a big gap in the middle of the squad Youth/Experience.

Now that the GF is over and done with this is the time teams normally announce changes.
As each team fell out of the play offs they normally announces changes the following week or so......perhaps Saints have a few surprises to come !!

Billinge Lump
15th October 2007, 23:27
This is what worries me about having no new signings coming in. The youngsters expected to play next year, Clough, Smith, Tyrer and Moore are all pretty much full first team squad members already due to the amount of game time they've had this year. They won't really freshen up the squad.

Behind that, are any of the other youngsters really ready for the step up to SL? Most of the U21s have only had 1 season at that level.

Mr.Yat
16th October 2007, 14:26
[QUOTE=Legendary Supporter]Watch out for Gary Wheeler, Alex McClurg, Gareth Frodsham, Jonny Lomax & Jamie Foster. They are very young but I don't think it will be too long before these guys names are on the tip of everyones tongue.

Chuck in Andy Yates as well ... all of these played U/18's Acadamy this year and so will only realistically come into contention as they mature and progress, unfortunately 3 of these 6 are front rowers and I would suggest find it longer before given their chance to break into 1st.team although Cloughie at 19 shoots this theory down in flames.
So the reality is yes, some of these (and others) will undoubtedly break through but not all of them will progress to be good enough, although may well ply their trade at a lesser level and good luck to them if they do. They will all harbour a dream to wear the vee in the 1st.team and I for one hope their dreams come true but as important as it surely is, the Club can't rely SOLELY in their development programme.

Div
16th October 2007, 14:34
If ( and I know its a BIG if ) Scully is fit it will be like a strong signing. last chance saloon.

Mr.Yat
16th October 2007, 14:41
If ( and I know its a BIG if ) Scully is fit it will be like a strong signing. last chance saloon.

Huh ????? Scully a youngster?????

Div
16th October 2007, 14:54
Huh ????? Scully a youngster?????

the thread opener reads

"If, as DA suggests. we are not going make any major signings,"

I was merely pointing out a fit scully would be ' like' a major signing.

doghead
16th October 2007, 15:22
gone to Salford last I heard.

Sausalito
16th October 2007, 15:44
gone to Salford last I heard.

Without his cash, don't think so.

nipplechin
18th October 2007, 01:07
Nor do I! he's going nowhere as it's his testimonial year! We cud do with bringing in a couple of experienced players though! IMO we need an extra forward and a utility man that can cover second row or centre!

Scouse Don
18th October 2007, 10:57
All we need is a bit of penetration..............now where have I heard that before ??

Saints-Crusaders
18th October 2007, 18:10
All we need is a bit of penetration..............now where have I heard that before ??

Wasn't your missus was it lol ;)