PDA

View Full Version : Attacking Prowess

Paul Cullen's Mantra
14th October 2007, 17:10
Is it me, or do we look like a side bereft of attacking ideas? I know Leeds were hot last night, but every time we got the ball near their line we looked ordinary? Can we put this down to the effects of a long season, or should we be concerned for next season, as has been muted by DA, that we are going to have much the same players on board?
I feel the attacking side of our game seems to have gone to pot, we lack direction and cohesion. This was epitomised last night by the Gidley kick, conversely Leeds were creative with their kicking game, especially on final tackle.
Am I taking too many negatives from the last few games, or have I reason to worry for next season?

Badger
14th October 2007, 17:27
i agree with all of that. we av got every reason to worry for next season. there is a few players not up to it. our attack is nowere near as good as its been because of loss of good players. an if u dont replace them thats what happens.

Knight Shadow
14th October 2007, 18:43
i am sorrey are the both of you in kookoo land? we have had one of the best offensive games OF THIS SEASION i am sorrey we could not win for ever but the lads are human and have had 2 seasions that have been longer than any other club the lads are probley burned out AND some of them are off to GB soon so cut them some slack! we have offence last night was a saints side that needs rest and time to regenarate for next seasion. i expect next seasion we will be re-bulding are selvs and 2009 seasion we will be on fire agen! so CUT THEM SOME SLACK!

Badger
14th October 2007, 18:48
i am sorrey are the both of you in kookoo land? we have had one of the best offensive games OF THIS SEASION i am sorrey we could not win for ever but the lads are human and have had 2 seasions that have been longer than any other club the lads are probley burned out AND some of them are off to GB soon so cut them some slack! we have offence last night was a saints side that needs rest and time to regenarate for next seasion. i expect next seasion we will be re-bulding are selvs and 2009 seasion we will be on fire agen! so CUT THEM SOME SLACK!
sorry but thats what they get paid to do.

knowsleyroader
14th October 2007, 19:07
Our attack has been no where to be seen for quite some time.

AnonymousSaint
14th October 2007, 19:35
First Post -

The main problem that we had against Leeds kicking game was that, on the 3rd or 4th tackle when the wingers should be retreating only Meli was retreating and Gardner wasn't, this then meant that Wellens had to make his may across leaving a huge gap in the middle of field, in which somebody of Sinfield's class can just slot the ball into this gap, making the backs turn, Leeds' kick and chase was pretty good last night, it is demoralizing to see Saints players still making their way back into the line on the second tackle, when they should sprinting into the line wanting to drive the ball forward.

However on the topic of attacking, Saints were just lacking, after the first 10-15mins which they dominated they just simply starting lacking, the annoying thing is though Saints showed how much of brilliant team they are when they ran angles probably the only time in the game which resulted in a try, fitting that one of Saints' most consistent and best players scored it and it was a tribute to a great season that Roby has had.

Paul Cullen's Mantra
14th October 2007, 19:40
How many kicking options did we have?...How many did Leeds have?..Close Long down, and what results...Predictable really.

The Chair Maker
14th October 2007, 20:02
First Post -

The main problem that we had against Leeds kicking game was that, on the 3rd or 4th tackle when the wingers should be retreating only Meli was retreating and Gardner wasn't, this then meant that Wellens had to make his may across leaving a huge gap in the middle of field, in which somebody of Sinfield's class can just slot the ball into this gap, making the backs turn, Leeds' kick and chase was pretty good last night, it is demoralizing to see Saints players still making their way back into the line on the second tackle, when they should sprinting into the line wanting to drive the ball forward.

I got the impression theat was a tactic as we did the same thing in the first playoff game.

It was used to prevent Leeds putting us in coffin corner or getting a 40/20.

It also meant that more often than not play was restarted on the 20 . This would allow our weary players a rest and slow the game down.

Knight Shadow
14th October 2007, 21:31
sorry but thats what they get paid to do.

you can get payed to do a job but your bodey can onley take so much these men are giants of humans and any normal person did what thay do thay would be in hospital VEREY FAST from being injered by being hit by one of these men, i remver my dad had a brused ribs for 2 weeks when sid domic was helping him out coach the wire ladeys team for a seasion and he tackled him verey gentley so god onley knows what half the saints lads are like!

Div
15th October 2007, 00:31
Take a look at the table below in particular the points for column. We are the highest scoring team in SL . So what is the point ?

15 September 2007 20:44
Team P W D L F A PTS
1 St Helens 27 19 0 8 783 422 38
2 Leeds 27 18 1 8 747 487 37
3 Bradford 27 17 1 9 778 560 33
4 Hull 27 14 2 11 573 553 30
5 Huddersfield 27 13 1 13 638 543 27
6 Wigan 27 15 1 11 621 527 27
7 Warrington 27 13 0 14 693 736 26
8 Wakefield 27 11 1 15 596 714 23
9 Harlequins RL 27 10 3 14 495 636 23
10 Catalans Dragons 27 10 1 16 570 685 21
11 Hull KR 27 10 0 17 491 723 20
12 Salford 27 6 1 20 475 874 13

Brimah Kebbie
15th October 2007, 13:41
you can get payed to do a job but your bodey can onley take so much these men are giants of humans and any normal person did what thay do thay would be in hospital VEREY FAST from being injered by being hit by one of these men, i remver my dad had a brused ribs for 2 weeks when sid domic was helping him out coach the wire ladeys team for a seasion and he tackled him verey gentley so god onley knows what half the saints lads are like!

Maybe your dad is just a soft girl! lol

Knight Shadow
15th October 2007, 16:14
Maybe your dad is just a soft girl! lol

erm no....he is a coach educater and one of the best! and knows how to take a tackle and dish them out! so it ant that, it is the fact the players are SUPER FIT!

theres only one stan wall
15th October 2007, 16:44
Forget the league table. Despite the quality of the competition improving dramatically only 2-3 clubs on any given day can match the intensity of a Saints, Leeds etc in a big game.

Saints have struggled in attack against the bigger clubs for sometime, and i feared the worst on Saturday night when i looked at the width of the pitch and then looked at Gidley, Meli, Talau and Long etc.

Re watch the Wigan away game, even the grand final, Saints when they get the ball wide, are nullified by the sweeping defence, teams know we havent the pace in the back line, to break the line.

We seriously need to look at the centre posiitons and even a real speedster to replace Meli.

The widnes full back Grix looks an exciting prospect, and the likes of Atkins, Rooney, Murphy, etc are viable options.

TEE
15th October 2007, 17:30
we will struggle even more next year, we had better get used to it, both our centres are past there best, Meli is the laziest player I have ever seen, and Gardners defensive positioning is appalling, what has kept us going is a superb pack, and a brilliant bench.

Syd
15th October 2007, 17:33
We have not been on fire since the semi final of the CC. That was the last great game for attack and defense I thought. But I am a proud chap to have witnessed my team win the WCC the CC and be crowned Minor Premiers, and make the GF, and I am amazed that the lads have managed to push their bodies for two solid years in this amazingly tough sport. I got tired just supporting them and need a break.

TEE
15th October 2007, 17:39
what they have acheived is remarkable, and we will probably never see it again, perhaps when we start losing more than we win, the crowds will come flooding back :o

Syd
15th October 2007, 17:48
what they have acheived is remarkable, and we will probably never see it again, perhaps when we start losing more than we win, the crowds will come flooding back :o

Rather have a steady 9,500 and tons of trophies, that a whopping 16,000 average and the odd trophy, ala goons. But I hear you bro, a bit of a loss, and a bit of "hey who knows, we may lose so lets go and watch" may do us good?