PDA

View Full Version : cardiff 2008

ploughman
14th October 2007, 17:00
at half time last night,im sure the announcer gave out the fixtures for cardiff next year.
wakefield v cas
wire v hudds
leeds v bradford
quinns v catalan
hull v hull kr
saints v wigan

have i dreamt this or can someone confirm please?

Saints Alive
14th October 2007, 18:20
Confirmed and I still aint going!!!

still think its a daft idea that costs the fans money and the clubs lose revenue on what should be a big fixture and I wont move on that one!!!

I just hope teams dont end up playing the same team 4 times again :mad:

gateaux
14th October 2007, 19:21
Yup and I cant wait, hotel booked and we are all looking forward to another great weekend

billorange
14th October 2007, 19:22
Yup and I cant wait, hotel booked and we are all looking forward to another great weekendBOGOF

pricey73
14th October 2007, 19:31
whats the date for cardiff next year

Saint Ryan
14th October 2007, 19:47

Not been confimed yet. Will be soon.

oldun
14th October 2007, 20:28

still think its a daft idea that costs the fans money and the clubs lose revenue on what should be a big fixture and I wont move on that one!!!

I fully agree with your post

downknowsleyroad
14th October 2007, 20:38
I fully agree with your post
Seconded

gateaux
14th October 2007, 20:39
3rd/4th may (if thats the weekend if not which ever the first bank holiday in may is!)

rob
14th October 2007, 21:09
I was up for going, despite the prohibitive cost. However after seeing last night's "events" I'm just not sure anymore. Playing some teams 4 times in a season is a completely crackpot idea anyway, especially when there's a chance of meeting them (Wigan) in other competitions on top of that. Back when we had just the Boxing day and Good Friday matches, it was a real occasion that I looked forward to for ages. Now we play so often in one season the magic has gone.

Saints-Crusaders
14th October 2007, 21:29
I don't agree with the idea of teams playing each other 4 times in the league whilst only playing others twice, but no matter how many times we play Wigan, i never lose that magic for wanting to beat them, as far as i'm concerned, the more times we beat them, the merrier

Sean Day
14th October 2007, 22:37
My hotel is booked and i will be going for the whole weekend. Thought last year was brilliant. If you don't like it that's fine, nobody is making you go! And remember it is an additional fixture on top of the home and away games so you aren't losing anything by not going.

I also agree that playing teams 4 times is daft. We will only have to put up with it (12 teams) for another season

saintdono
14th October 2007, 22:51
My hotel is booked and i will be going for the whole weekend. Thought last year was brilliant. If you don't like it that's fine, nobody is making you go! And remember it is an additional fixture on top of the home and away games so you aren't losing anything by not going.

I also agree that playing teams 4 times is daft. We will only have to put up with it (12 teams) for another season

Spot on there!!!!!!!!!
I also have evrything booked for next year
This year it was all new and perhaps some things could have been done differently,but like some others me and my mates are already looking forward to it

Div
15th October 2007, 13:39
No big suprise there then !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7045024.stm

Brimah Kebbie
15th October 2007, 13:44
Will this class as our home game again or theirs?

Sean Day
15th October 2007, 13:54
Will this class as our home game again or theirs?

an 'extra' game so neither. But I think we are due two home games against them and Wire this time (overdue in fact)

rob
15th October 2007, 14:27
I still think playing some clubs 4 times in one season is completely daft, whether it's an "extra" game or not. As we only play some twice it is far from a level playing field. Personally I think SL should be 14 teams, each playing twice in a season (excluding play-offs and cup matches obviously). Of course the bean counters won't allow this unless we get more TV dosh.

Cedarman
15th October 2007, 15:38

.................but this is an extra fixture so how do they lose money?

dane2k7
15th October 2007, 23:39
Does any one know wat day saints is on ? If so who else is on the same day as saints?

cluzi
15th October 2007, 23:55
we play on the sunday , the last game , quins and catalans are the first game of day and hull kr v hull fc 2nd game.

parrsaint
16th October 2007, 00:53
Seconded

Its a great stadium to play in but its about time we got the league sorted out so we just play everyone home and away once. If that means a 14 team league then so be it. It will be interesting to see how long Millennium Magic continues for; especially if Celtic Crusaders win a SL franchise.

blackpoolsaint
16th October 2007, 01:28
i think its a great idea can't wait to go down next year, gives lower teams in the league supports a chance to experiance a big venue like the millenium stadium. and what other canu watch all the games on the weekend in one stadium

Saints Alive
21st October 2007, 13:58
.................but this is an extra fixture so how do they lose money?

simple 2006 we played 28 games, 14 at home

2007 we played a total of 27 games as a week was cleared for an international game, that left

13 home games 13 away games plus the Cardiff week end,
therefore Cardiff cant be an 'extra game'. each team lost a 'home game' and stood to gain very little if anything from the Cardiff weekend

as I said before it is a game that costs tha fans a great deal of money and may be one of the reasons which contributed to reduced home attendances because fans fork out a great deal of money to go to Cardiff.
IMHO

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
22nd October 2007, 13:08
simple 2006 we played 28 games, 14 at home

2007 we played a total of 27 games as a week was cleared for an international game, that left

13 home games 13 away games plus the Cardiff week end,
therefore Cardiff cant be an 'extra game'. each team lost a 'home game' and stood to gain very little if anything from the Cardiff weekend

as I said before it is a game that costs tha fans a great deal of money and may be one of the reasons which contributed to reduced home attendances because fans fork out a great deal of money to go to Cardiff.
IMHO

1) they always planned to reduce the number of fixtures after calls from players and the GB setup to reduce the burden on players - therefore all clubs would have lost a home game anyway, therefore Cardiff is an extra game;
2) clubs need to look beyond thier own houses, and look at the benefits to the game as a whole;
3) the aggregate attendance for the Cardiff event was the same as the aggregate attendance for a normal Super League weekend; (i would expect aggregate attendance for the weekend to be around 75,000 next year)
4) attendances in Super League were up across the board (except Saints and Quins) so i'm not sure what your point about attendances is?

quirkesboots
22nd October 2007, 17:32
cant wait for the wire hudds derby

Saints Alive
23rd October 2007, 13:59
1) they always planned to reduce the number of fixtures after calls from players and the GB setup to reduce the burden on players - therefore all clubs would have lost a home game anyway, therefore Cardiff is an extra game;
2) clubs need to look beyond thier own houses, and look at the benefits to the game as a whole;
3) the aggregate attendance for the Cardiff event was the same as the aggregate attendance for a normal Super League weekend; (i would expect aggregate attendance for the weekend to be around 75,000 next year)
4) attendances in Super League were up across the board (except Saints and Quins) so i'm not sure what your point about attendances is?

1. which ever way you wrap it up the clubs lost a home game and in the great scheme of things for the top players the number of games remained the same. I will stick by my opinion that the Cardiff idea is daft!
2. yes the clubs need to look 'beyond their own houses' reducing the number of domestic games would be a start, playing each other home and away just the once. It would then allow for 'origin games' or home countries games, which if marketed right would attract decent crowds (& put money in SL clubs coffers)and imporve standards to help with the untimate aim of winning internationals. As things stand internationals just extend the season
3. it may have been equal to the normal weekly crowd agregate for a SL round but look at the fixtures, had they been played elswhere the agregate the Hull Derby, Saints/Wigan game, the Leeds /Bradford would have had would have been in excess of 60k thats without including the other 3 games of the round.
4. I simply said Cardiffmay be a reason (one of many?) for low attendances at KR, how many home games could a saints fan have attended if they handnt paid out for Cardiff. It certainly cant be the standard of rugby and success of the team that has kept the crowds low. Perhaps we just need top learn from other clubs, who knows?

I like every one else on this MB is entiled to my opinion, and Cardiff on a bank holiday weekend watching teams playing the same team on one of four occassions is something I am not inclined to do.
I will go to every home match at KR and the vast majority of away games next season just as always.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
23rd October 2007, 15:15
1. which ever way you wrap it up the clubs lost a home game and in the great scheme of things for the top players the number of games remained the same. I will stick by my opinion that the Cardiff idea is daft! the clubs were going to lose the home game regardless of the cardiff idea - Cardiff therefore actually increased the clubs revenue due to being an extra game that would otherwise not have happened.

2. yes the clubs need to look 'beyond their own houses' reducing the number of domestic games would be a start, playing each other home and away just the once. It would then allow for 'origin games' or home countries games, which if marketed right would attract decent crowds (& put money in SL clubs coffers)and imporve standards to help with the untimate aim of winning internationals. As things stand internationals just extend the season

Reducing the number of domestic games is something that has already happened, but its not just as simple as that. We need to build the game up - we wont suddenly have a team capable of beating the Aussies by playing 2 less league games.

Also, the game of RL has to develop throughout the nation to be taken seriously by the media, the business community and by the sporting public in general. Therefore we need clubs in new areas - South Wales is obviously a key target area for the RFL (whether you agree with it or not) - so the clubs have to look at the sport as a whole and attempt to help the development of rugby league in South Wales.

3. it may have been equal to the normal weekly crowd agregate for a SL round but look at the fixtures, had they been played elswhere the agregate the Hull Derby, Saints/Wigan game, the Leeds /Bradford would have had would have been in excess of 60k thats without including the other 3 games of the round. correct...but look at it as all 12 teams playing an away game - the 60k is more than the away following at each of the 6 games under normal circumstances. I fully expect this to grow anyway - look at the first Grand Final (43k in attendance, now gets over 70k).

4. I simply said Cardiffmay be a reason (one of many?) for low attendances at KR, how many home games could a saints fan have attended if they handnt paid out for Cardiff. It certainly cant be the standard of rugby and success of the team that has kept the crowds low. Perhaps we just need top learn from other clubs, who knows? the issue of Saints crowds has been done to death on various other threads, however i'm not sure why the Cardiff weekend would affect Saints' crowds more than any other clubs'? I didnt notice any more fans from Saints there than from any other club...?

I like every one else on this MB is entiled to my opinion, and Cardiff on a bank holiday weekend watching teams playing the same team on one of four occassions is something I am not inclined to do.
I will go to every home match at KR and the vast majority of away games next season just as always. [/QUOTE]