PDA

View Full Version : We've had worse seasons....

Blobbynator
14th October 2007, 10:21
Like the rest of you, I'm very disappointed and it's hurting at the moment but when we've had a moment to reflect, we'll get over the disappointment. Before yesterday we'd won six trophies on the bounce which in this era is a sensational achievement. It's come to an end, but it's taken a magical display from Leeds to end it. We knew it'd come to an end at some point and after two years, it finally has. As Despondent said last night - we get the thrill of the chase once again in trying to win the crown back, and maybe for a change we won't go in as red hot favourites.

This year we've won a treble - WCC, Challenge Cup and League Leaders Shield - which is a great achievement considering we lost three very good players last year (Lyon, P. Anderson and V. Anderson). Well done Saints.

McClennan
14th October 2007, 11:00
Hurting? What a Jessie!

We've topped the table for the third year in a row so to have won last night would have been an achievement that probably wouldn't have been matched for several years so it's no surprise that we didn't. I think that anybody with a clue last night was saying 50/50 and not saying that if we perform we will win. Last night was about not only us performing but Leeds performing. Nobody was saying that Leeds can't match us on the day because they have done four times.

We won one of the two trophies and I would have settled for that at the beginning of the year, although I would have preferred it to have been last night's trophy.

Disappointed but that's about it.

Blobbynator
14th October 2007, 11:05
Hurting? What a Jessie!

I believe it hurt you so much, that you did this (http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=320954)

saint billy
14th October 2007, 11:47
If someone would have offered us all the Challenge Cup, World Club and League Leaders shield at the start of the season, we would have bit there hand off. An other great season, could have finished better but still a great season from the lads.

Well done Saints.

Saints Alive
14th October 2007, 11:53
If someone would have offered us all the Challenge Cup, World Club and League Leaders shield at the start of the season, we would have bit there hand off. An other great season, could have finished better but still a great season from the lads.

Well done Saints.

blob on mate!!

some folk on here need to get the season into perspective!!

yes I am disapointed with last night game but hardly a barren season!!

daves
14th October 2007, 12:17

Well done Saints.

Absolutely bang on.
There are many,many supporters who spend their whole life dreaming of a trophy win for thier club,whatever that trophy may be,and they never get to see that dream become reality.We are very,very lucky people.

Stockport Saint
14th October 2007, 12:26
Yeah - I agree with all the wise words spoken here! What a two years we have had - and let's be honest it isn't good for any sport for one team to win every single available trophy all the time!!
Having watched it again this morning, two things stood out.
1. In the dressing room at half time our boys were finished - out on their feet. That's what two seasons like we have had can do.
2. The dressing room after the game showed genuine disappointment from the boys. That is what can drive us on next season.

It has been another magnificent sason and I for one would like to thank the team for all the thrills this year.

rob
14th October 2007, 12:41
For me last night hurt more because of the way we lost - we were barely in the game at half time and in the second 40 didn't even compete. I thought the game would be 50/50, and said to my Dad I wouldn't be surprised if we lost. But that scoreline was embarrassing. Leeds were magnificent, we can't take that away from them, but we had no spark, no clue in attack and defense was poor compared to 2 weeks ago.

I've been watching Saints since the dark days of the mid-late 80's when we won nothing, and we probably have been spoilt in recent years. I'm sure we won't go back to those days but I reckon there's a few barren years coming up whilst we rebuild key positions.

foot of god
14th October 2007, 18:55
yes it bloody hurt losing in a grand final, but looking back on the past 2 seasons i bet anyone would have settled for that. I only hope that it doesn't happen on a regular basis - losing in a grand final that is.