PDA

View Full Version : So What Happens Next ????

John O Gaunt
14th October 2007, 01:07
After tonights performance, where do Saints go :???:

Leeds had the desire to win. whereas our so called BIG GAME players went missing.

It seems every club are making major signings except for us.

For me: certain players need to be replaced, and soon

Gidley = Biggest waste of space yet
Meli = And people call Gardner :???:
Cayless = BAD SIGNING
Cunningham = Past his sell by date
Long = Why bother :???:

I feel that with the new ground etc, the team may suffer, but whats the point of a shiny new stadium and a shyte team ?

Sausalito
14th October 2007, 01:10
After tonights performance, where do Saints go :???:

Leeds had the desire to win. whereas our so called BIG GAME players went missing.

It seems every club are making major signings except for us.

For me: certain players need to be replaced, and soon

Cayless = BAD SIGNING

I feel that with the new ground etc, the team may suffer, but whats the point of a shiny new stadium and a shyte team ?

and everyone on here laughed when i suggested these same things about the team in my post 16th Sept.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sale_mike
14th October 2007, 01:24
A little on the pessimistic side which I can understand. I am good friends with a Leeds supporter and mid-season he was bagging Toopi, Lauititi, Senior, Bailey to name just some. I wouldn't have any of those 4 in the Saints side but it just shows that every dog can have its day if mixed in with the right blend of players. Yes, Saints don't have the best 17 players in the world but they have some damn good ones and the ones that you bag have played their part in this season's successes (yes there were some).

John O Gaunt
14th October 2007, 01:25
and everyone on here laughed when i suggested these same things about the team in my post 16th Sept.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not a titter here, probably never read your post dated 16-09-07, as i tend to avoid the site these days, due to the lack of people who actually know anything about RL. One thing i do know is, that the so called experts will rip the likes of Gardner & Bennett to bits, whilst licking the aris of Meli/Gidley etc, i know which 2 i would have in my squad.

McClennan
14th October 2007, 10:55
Cayless = BAD SIGNING

Think you're overreacting a bit there me old mucker. At various points during the season these guys have turned up and performed very well. They can't play well every game and singling them out after a disappointing team performance isn't right. Had they been poor all year then I could agree but even Long, who has only played occasionally, was wanted by many to start because of his ability to perform and he did set up our only try too.

Sadfish
14th October 2007, 10:58
we were beaten man for man by a better side on the night, they had more passion, more energy and completed their sets better.

We where out of gas.

No need to panic, this teams won everything on offer for the past 2 seasons, it doesn't go bad overnight.

Relax, let them take in the off season and welcome them back in the new year raring to go for another exciting season.

Saints Alive
14th October 2007, 11:15
we were beaten man for man by a better side on the night, they had more passion, more energy and completed their sets better.

We where out of gas.

No need to panic, this teams won everything on offer for the past 2 seasons, it doesn't go bad overnight.

Relax, let them take in the off season and welcome them back in the new year raring to go for another exciting season.

true

we get up!!! lick wounds!! and get over it!! SL X111 is another season cant wait! lol

daves
14th October 2007, 11:42

We where out of gas.

My thoughts exactly.We've been running on empty for a few weeks now and Leeds(apart from the odd blip,here and there)have looked a very good side all season.They showed that clearly,last night.
We've had a great season we just couldn't keep going for one last match.We can all,players and supporters,have a good rest and look forward to whatever next season may bring.

Huntingtons
14th October 2007, 13:02
Cayless - Bad signing

lol

Big ST.MARK
14th October 2007, 15:03
Gidley- Yes he is slower than Lyon but that aside I do think he would be much more effective if we played slightly differently. We give him the ball with at best a centre and winger in front of him plus the inside defender last night Burrow/ McGuire sliding across to fill in. This means he can either step inside the centre and try and beat the slide defender for strength, continue his line toward the touchline and try to slip the pass to Ade who will have little space and the winger on to him or step outside the centre try to suck the wingman in then slip the ball to Ade. The Leeds players last night knew that Ade will not come inside before Gidley gets the ball thus the slide and centre just block the holes.

Leeds and other teams like Wakey and Hudds use their outside back line to manufacture space by either wingman or centre change the angles putting doubt in the defenders especially the centre who is forced to watch both opposite number and the angled runner- leaving the centre a possible 1:1 or even 2:1 with support players.

Leon runs out wide and draws men with Talau and Meli both altering angles making space successfully down our attacking left side (how Talau scores majority of his tries). This doesn't happen down our right, partly because Leon is naturally a right to left player so steps when he is playing down the right and partly because Sean provides the link toward Gidley (naturally left handed making the spin pass easier that way for him).

Factor into this the channel runners inside the two centres (second rowers) I believe we'll be much more dangerous next year when Flanno has a pre-season under his belt and him and Wilkin/ Scully will be drawing the inside defender to isolate the centre/ winger more successfully again ala last years attack.

Sorry if that's hard to follow but that's my take on our current situation.

Sean Day
14th October 2007, 15:10
Cayless - Bad signing

lol

Yep. Not the comment of a man who "knows anything about RL". Although I agree with some of his other comments, KC finished is another classic

Legolas
14th October 2007, 15:42
Lets just all calm down shall we. That was our 70th game in two seasons and there comes a point when you just can't do it and you hit the wall, that point came for Saints last night. We just lost to the better, fitter, fresher team who wanted to give the coach a good send off.

To say Gidley is a waste of space is totally unfair. He puts his body on the line like no other and works tirelessly. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have got to GF two weeks ago and would have had to play Wigan.

Also very unfair criticism of Cayless who takes the ball in every time he has hold of it. He could hold on to the ball a bit more and not offload but thats his game and sometimes it works and we break away, sometimes it doesn't.

Yes KC is past his best but I would still rather have him in the side than any other hooker in world RL. He is coming to the end of his career and with Roby forms THE most effective partnership in Superleague. You cannot buy experience and he is giving that to Roby and all the other youngsters.

Meli is great winger, little bit pedestrian at times but one hell of an asset at getting off our line. He's big, powerful and deceptively quick. Little more enthusiasm would be nice but again, thats him and with all of our trophies, he obviously cuts the mustard.

Sean Long I am not going to comment on because the man is a disgrace to himself and the club. Something happened down-under last year and he hasn't been the same since. Time to retire Mr Long AND STOP ARGUING WITH YOUR TEAM-MATES ON THE PITCH SAVE IT FOR THE DRESSING ROOM AND THE TRAINING GROUND.

Our run had to end shortly and it ended last night. It was for the good of the game as we don't want to be another Wigan and totally dominate. Yes losing in a final hurts, but get over it. We've won three trophies this season and cleared up last. Did people really think we could continue like that? If so, you are as naive as Wiganers thinking their domination could continue over ten years ago.

Blobbynator
14th October 2007, 15:53
You were going so well up until your weekly Sean Long rant. We wouldn't have scored a point if Long hadn't have played. He was our only threat in a very poor attacking performance.

Long probably needs the off season to get rid of the muscle injuries that he's suffered from. Hopefully him, Scully and KC have one final swansong in 2008.

Legolas
14th October 2007, 16:04
You were going so well up until your weekly Sean Long rant. We wouldn't have scored a point if Long hadn't have played. He was our only threat in a very poor attacking performance.

Long probably needs the off season to get rid of the muscle injuries that he's suffered from. Hopefully him, Scully and KC have one final swansong in 2008.

My "weekly" Sean Long rant?? It would be nice if he played weekly for me to rant. I have praised him over the years, particularly last season, and tolerated his flambouyant style which can be damn frustrating but this season, he has just lost the plot. To give him the praise for the try solely is paying lip service to a once great SH IMHO. I am not going to question DA's reasoning, he has earnt that much, but Teflon Long is disgrace.

Leeds knew he wasn't up to it and pretty much left him alone concentrating on our other playmakers who could've made a difference. He needs the winter to get rid of the injuries and decide whether he really wants to play and if so, get on with it. Arguing with KC was the final straw for me.

Blobbynator
14th October 2007, 16:08
How can you not praise Long for that try? It was a great move and a superb turn of pace to hit the gap - Sean Long of 5 years ago it reminded me of.

The only disappointing thing for me this year with regards to Long (apart from his injuries of course, which are not his fault) was his attitude to goal kicking earlier in the year. That was a poor show IMO.

Dynamite Don Brennan
14th October 2007, 16:34
It was a tired performance.We have a number of players who aint spring chickens and we lack that searing pace that we once had. Weve done well to achieve what we have this season and the lads deserve a lot of credit for that.
The next couple of seasons could be trophy free in my opinion. Eamonn has said he wants to bring the kids through and thats great imo.
Leeds have monstered us in the forwards this season and i cant see that changing next year can you.
Ive said before about one particular forward who i think is incredibly lightweight and with Scullys injury woes i think we'll be short again.
Id actually like the Mason for Cayless rumour to be true(i know its bollox).
Cayless hasnt let us down but i think we need a forward we can rely on to put us on the front foot ala Paul Anderson.Masons agression wouldnt go amiss either.
Anyway we regroup and live to fight another day.

Bainsey
14th October 2007, 17:36
We could always watch the Rugby Union World Cup Final next week instead? ;)

Paul Cullen's Mantra
14th October 2007, 17:43
We could always watch the Rugby Union World Cup Final next week instead? ;)

I'd love to but I have got some ironing to do.

John O Gaunt
15th October 2007, 00:24
They can't play well every game and singling them out after a disappointing team performance isn't right.

It is in my eyes, it's just the same as the countless numbers on here who blame Ade for every thing that goes wrong when Saints Lose. I just plucked said players out of thin air to see what reaction i would get and added comments to suit. Leeds deserved the victory, because they all stood up and were counted. Our so called BIG NAME players went missing. I just feel that Saints need one or two fresh players coming in, to liven things up, then it's business as usual lol

The Chair Maker
15th October 2007, 10:07
It is in my eyes, it's just the same as the countless numbers on here who blame Ade for every thing that goes wrong when Saints Lose. I just plucked said players out of thin air to see what reaction i would get and added comments to suit. Leeds deserved the victory, because they all stood up and were counted. Our so called BIG NAME players went missing. I just feel that Saints need one or two fresh players coming in, to liven things up, then it's business as usual lol

I think the fresh players will come fromt he academy.

I would like to see Garry Wheeler being given a game at centre.
(i know he normally plays standoff, but for me it would be best blooding him in the 3/4's)