PDA

View Full Version : willie mason rumour?????????

bobcharriott
13th October 2007, 11:35
anybody confirm cayless is on his way, to be replaced by willie mason

quirkesboots
13th October 2007, 11:50
hope not the camp seems settled as it is.Can see the big fella upsetting it

Sausalito
13th October 2007, 11:53
Willie will be on the team bus later today, along with sonny bill and lyon:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

southportsaint
13th October 2007, 21:47
after tonight we need more than mason

Burnley Saint
14th October 2007, 10:31
anybody confirm cayless is on his way, to be replaced by willie mason

Hope so may run foreward rather than crab like

Knight Shadow
14th October 2007, 10:36
i keep hearing the rumour flying around as well but is mason and dekon coming to us as longey is off from all over the place but wheather these rumours have any grounding is anuther matter! we will just have to wait and see

Saints Alive
14th October 2007, 11:31
Anderson was on BBC Manchester on Thursday night

he said that the squad was not being added to for next season and that he would be going for youth

rob
14th October 2007, 13:12
Youth is definitely the way forward for long-term stability. We just have to accept a few "quieter" years. Long term it will be worth it however and we'll avoid all the short-term chopping and changing that has damaged Wigun so much.

parrsaint
14th October 2007, 13:32
Anderson was on BBC Manchester on Thursday night

he said that the squad was not being added to for next season and that he would be going for youth

To not add any new players in my view is a massive mistake. Yes youth is the future for long term stability but we do need something a bit extra now in my view.

Square in the Air
14th October 2007, 13:49
To not add any new players in my view is a massive mistake. Yes youth is the future for long term stability but we do need something a bit extra now in my view.

I'll agree with that. yep all for youth but also need a couple of players. Yes its easy to say it now because we got beat. But I honestly thought we would get beat but hoped that saints could produce the goods on the day. Unfortunately we didn't. We are lacking pace. Pace is essential in super league. Our centres aren't blessed with pace to start with. Solid yes but no pace. Albert (wing)and Lyon (centre) for example over the past few years. You knew if they broke through it was put your glasses down. If talau or Gigley broke through ??? Nothing against the guys, had great years but lacking that killer instinct. Saying that this defeat will make the boys more determined next year. We can't win em all.

rob
14th October 2007, 13:54
To bring youth through they need to be given the opportunity, playing alongside and being mentored by experienced professionals. We have that experience in Long, KC, Sculthorpe etc. By bringing in more big name players towards the ends of their careers we're effectively shutting out the young players, and they will end up elsewhere. We have to have a long-term mentality because it will lead to years of stability as we have seen in the Super League era. If we go short-termist we will end up like Wigan.

Gray77
14th October 2007, 14:39
1. We dont need Willie Mason. Mason himself has said that he needs to change his style of play after he and the Bulldogs aggresive bully boy tactics failed miserably in the NRL play-offs. He'd cost too much and would give us little in terms of value for money.
2. Its nice for DA to say we're going for youth, but he wont be coach after 2008 so maybe this is more what the chairman wants than the coach. I'd imagine Anderson will want to leave the UK with another championship and given the option would love a couple of star signings. It could be that we'll be on a tight budget till we start reaping the rewards of the new stadium.

doghead
14th October 2007, 16:12
Its more to do with the new coach coming next season, he will make all the changes.

BFCSaint
14th October 2007, 16:19
If he was going to pin the hopes of the future on youth, last night was an ideal test for them, in particular Matty Smith who ran Leeds ragged at KR a few weeks back.

I would at least have had him on the replacements bench last night. Given Long not being 100% fit...playing for 80 minutes in a high-tempo game with everything on the line, it would have made sense.