PDA

View Full Version : Do you get the feeling...

Blobbynator
11th October 2007, 11:41
That Saints are due one massive performance? Whilst it's been a great season and we've so far won everything, I can't honestly remember too many great performances from us this year (WCC probably being the best of the year). I think we've played well in patches and been solid defensively, but I don't think we've been 'brilliant' on too many ocassions. Let's be honest the CC Final wasn't a great game and neither team played that great (thankfully we didn't need to). In the CC campaign we only needed to play well once (Semi Final).

Last season we hit a peak period in July/August and maintained it for the rest of the year and we were simply untouchable. Remember Leeds at home when we whacked 50 past them? Huddersfield when we whacked 50 past them?

Two weeks ago, I thought defensively we were incredible and it's possibly the finest defensive performance I've ever seen from a Saints side. With ball in hand, it was a different story and I felt we kicked well, made good ground but didn't really have a cutting edge.

We've had our first real resting period of the season which should've helped energy levels in the squad and it should also have helped the squad get rid of those bumps and bruises.

Are we due a big performance this Saturday do you reckon? Will we look back and think - we put in two of our best performances in two of our biggest games?

Chris Saint
11th October 2007, 11:43
I bloody hope so

We are certainly due a big performance - i don't think we've come close to some performances from last season - the Leeds one in particular we were simply untouchable

saint 279
11th October 2007, 11:47
That Saints are due one massive performance? Whilst it's been a great season and we've so far won everything, I can't honestly remember too many great performances from us this year (WCC probably being the best of the year). I think we've played well in patches and been solid defensively, but I don't think we've been 'brilliant' on too many ocassions. Let's be honest the CC Final wasn't a great game and neither team played that great (thankfully we didn't need to). In the CC campaign we only needed to play well once (Semi Final).

Last season we hit a peak period in July/August and maintained it for the rest of the year and we were simply untouchable. Remember Leeds at home when we whacked 50 past them? Huddersfield when we whacked 50 past them?

Two weeks ago, I thought defensively we were incredible and it's possibly the finest defensive performance I've ever seen from a Saints side. With ball in hand, it was a different story and I felt we kicked well, made good ground but didn't really have a cutting edge.

We've had our first real resting period of the season which should've helped energy levels in the squad and it should also have helped the squad get rid of those bumps and bruises.

Are we due a big performance this Saturday do you reckon? Will we look back and think - we put in two of our best performances in two of our biggest games?

I agree, i havent been nervous at all this week, just really looking forward to the game. I belive that saints have been holding back a little of late, ready to smash the rhinos on saturday, i predict saints by 20, bring it on. :D

halohalo
11th October 2007, 11:54
I don't think any of us are as confident as we were this time last year. You're right, we have had three 'outstanding' performances all year - WCC, CCSF and Leeds play off.

It seems a tad mysterious that we don't seem to have the cutting edge or pace we have had in recent seasons when you look at our points tally, particularly without a kicker for much of the season. I hope this is not the game when that finally comes to haunt us. Or our 'peaking' strategy for big games.

Perhaps it is because we have not this season seemed to have scored tries from our own half as in recent memory?

The point is though, we have now come to expect sheer brilliance on a weekly basis. We are all fortunate to witness this fantastic era - many of us have been there through barren times.

Just one more performance lads, just one more. one thing is for sure, none of us can wait now!

Come on you Saints!

rammsteinbloke
11th October 2007, 11:55
As I've said all year - Saints don't lose the big games.

We've lost twice this year to Leeds, but when it seriously comes down to it, we hit a gear in which we thought never existed, and blow the opposition away. Leeds are a good team, but when the pressure is on, I can't see past a Saints win. It may not be a 50 point victory, but you can expect a solid performance from the lads.

Don't worry - I'll be here on Sunday for all the abuse IF this comment comes back to bite me in the arse.

Billinge Lump
11th October 2007, 11:59
I don't think we'll get one in an offensive sense.

IMO we're carrying more injuries than this time last year. We've also had Long missing a massive portion of the season and, if he plays, he won't be match fit or firing on all cylinders. Gidley hasn't been as effective as Lyon going forward and Talau doesn't seem to be the player he was in an attacking sense either this year.

Although as long as we win, and we have the ability to do so, I don't really care.

Sadfish
11th October 2007, 12:03
be prepared be VERY PREPARED!

bobble
11th October 2007, 13:06
What Millward thinks:

RHINOS TO END SAINTS' REIGN
By Ian Millward

Going into Saturday's Grand Final, it seems there is very little between St Helens and Leeds.

Just look at their last match at Knowsley Road only a fortnight ago, Saints won by two in a game when only one try and very few points were scored.

I think both teams would have been disappointed with their attacking play that night. Leeds had plenty of ball and pressure but couldn't turn it into points - but that said their defence was very good.

With St Helens I thought their defence was also very good but their attack lacked cohesion because of the absence of Sean Long. Whenever he is missing they can lack direction.

Obviously the big question as we head to Old Trafford is will Sean play? I understand he is very close to being passed fit.

We said ahead of the last meeting between these two sides that if Long plays then St Helens tend to win, he is worth eight points alone to the side.

Leeds booked their place in the final with a comfortable win over Wigan at Headingley. I was really impressed with Jamie Peacock and Gareth Ellis that night - I thought they were outstanding up the middle.

They are clearly in good form and the outcome on Saturday depends on what Leeds do with ball in hand.

They only conceded one try against Wigan last Friday, and ran in plenty of points themselves, so they will be raring to go.

Momentum is really important going into a Grand Final and I believe Leeds needed to play last week. That win means they are ready.

With the start of six points at Sky Bet, I'm going to go with the Rhinos only because there is not much between these two teams.

St Helens do have the better attack but we've got to take into account Long's injury. If he plays the tables can turn very quickly but I just liked the way Leeds attacked last week and the way they defended the previous week.

If they combine the two on Saturday they could be celebrating a famous win.

It's important Tony Smith comes up with a strategy to attack St Helens and not be defensive for 80 minutes.

If they get it right it could be Leeds' night.

The total points market for the game has been set between 36.5 and 40.5

If you look at their matches between the two this season there have not been a lot of points scored.

If there is any rain the conditions at Old Trafford also make it difficult for scoring due to slippery surface and the amount of fans there will make it nervy for the players.

Tries are very hard to come by in these matches and I expect it to be a relatively low scoring game.

Take below the 40.5 on offer. If Long doesn't play it becomes a much more confident selection.

In regards to the Harry Sunderland Trophy, awarded to the man-of-the-match, I've been impressed with the way Peacock and Ellis have played over the last two weeks and they've got to go well again if the Rhinos are to win.

The forward battle is always the key to these games and in Peacock and Ellis Leeds may have the men to edge it.

They will provide the platform for Danny McGuire, who has the skills and pace to turn pressure into points.

He is always worth considering for first try scorer.

If he plays, Long will be a stand-out performer for St Helens while Jon Wilkin and Jason Cayless have also impressed of late.

However this award often goes to someone who scores the points which may make it difficult for them.

knowsleyroader
11th October 2007, 13:47
Our big game run ends on Saturday. No ifs, no and's, no buts.

FACT !

However I will go down singing. We have won enough to fill our bellies this year. An exciting game will do me.

NortonSaint
11th October 2007, 14:15
I can't see the Whinos tactics being much different from the KR game, they will keep kicking it dead and wait for us to spill the ball or put in a poor kick and chase. Every opportunity they will take the two points, if it's kickable, when we are penalised. If we do not have a recognised kicker all that will be on offer is field position when they are penalised. The penalty count will be fairly even so I will be attending without the same confidence as last year.

sef
11th October 2007, 16:16

FACT !

However I will go down singing. We have won enough to fill our bellies this year. An exciting game will do me.

We'll win saturday, have faith:D

But like you say if the worst happens i'll still have a smile on my face, because we have won enough to keep us all happy.

DD
11th October 2007, 16:18

FACT !

Well there's a surprise!

knowsleyroader
12th October 2007, 09:11
Well there's a surprise!

This aint a guess cocker. I have just given you the result. Do with it what you will.

The Chair Maker
12th October 2007, 10:23
We will have to pull out our best grand final performance to win this match.

We really do need to play at 100%+

Any weakness will be punished.

knowsleyroader
12th October 2007, 12:22
We will have to pull out our best grand final performance to win this match.

We really do need to play at 100%+

Any weakness will be punished.

We havent been anywhere near 100% for some time and I dont think we will get anywhere near that Saturday either.

Leeds will be far too much for us at Old Trafford. We will struggle to get out of our own half to be honest and we certainly dont have any pace to finish any breaks off.

Our best bet if we get near the line is to put the ball up high to Gardner.

DD
12th October 2007, 12:26
This aint a guess cocker. I have just given you the result. Do with it what you will.

You've got to be right one day with your despondent predictions I suppose.

Bizarrely, when we have actually got beat, it's generally been on the few times you have not bothered to tell us it's going to happen.

Keep up the good work. ;)

Shakespeare
12th October 2007, 13:16
Our best bet if we get near the line is to put the ball up high to Gardner.

With the team that we have, this is our best option? :???:

P.s. If Donald picks it out of the sky and is through, say 'bye bye!'.

knowsleyroader
12th October 2007, 14:19
With the team that we have, this is our best option? :???:

P.s. If Donald picks it out of the sky and is through, say 'bye bye!'.

FWIW there are several Leeds players if they get into space we can say bye bye.

Its Pryce or Gardner, the rest seem utterly clueless at the moment. I cant remember the last time Saints looked so clueless in the oppostion 10 as they have of late. We have to be the most uninspired attack team in SL at the moment. Leeds also werent at their best in attack last time out against us, but we have been far more consistent at it.

Saints-Crusaders
12th October 2007, 14:34

Its Pryce or Gardner, the rest seem utterly clueless at the moment. I cant remember the last time Saints looked so clueless in the oppostion 10 as they have of late. We have to be the most uninspired attack team in SL at the moment. Leeds also werent at their best in attack last time out against us, but we have been far more consistent at it.

And you base that argument on 2 games where one was a "nothing" game against Wigan and the other was a defences dominated play off against the 2nd best team in SL :???:

Yet despite all that, we still finished top points scorers in SL and that was with probably a poor conversion rate due to rarely having a recognised goal-kicker compared to Bradford, Leeds, Wigan who all had highly successful kickers

THELAST3YARDS
12th October 2007, 14:40

There's only two left lol

If we defend correctly then we win IMO