PDA

View Full Version : James Roby's Contract

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
10th October 2007, 10:40
Not sure if it has been mentioned previously but surely winning Man of Steel will increase James Roby's value during his contract negotiations - could it be bad news for Saints afterall?

Legolas
10th October 2007, 10:43
I doubt it. It will undoubtedly raise the stakes as he has now won every individual and club honour. However, he's only 20 so suspect he'll get talked into staying provided his agent is leaching like they all do. Scully on a reduced contract should account for his payrise or a promissory note to increase his wage after scully goes next season.

Think he'll still be bouncing out of dummy half for a few years yet.

Dux
10th October 2007, 10:52
When it comes down to it, he will be able to use that when in negotiation with any club who are interested, so in real terms it shouldn't make any difference.

Also, I'm not sure if this rule is still in place, but as he is under 24 then as long as we offer him an improved contract then we are entitled to a transfer fee if he signs for another club. Now that he is MOS, this fee will have have just shot up (I'm not sure how this would work if said club was in the NRL, however).

SaintsDavid
10th October 2007, 10:53
I doubt it. It will undoubtedly raise the stakes as he has now won every individual and club honour. However, he's only 20 so suspect he'll get talked into staying provided his agent is leaching like they all do. Scully on a reduced contract should account for his payrise or a promissory note to increase his wage after scully goes next season.

Think he'll still be bouncing out of dummy half for a few years yet.

22 very soon.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
10th October 2007, 11:06
When it comes down to it, he will be able to use that when in negotiation with any club who are interested, so in real terms it shouldn't make any difference.

Also, I'm not sure if this rule is still in place, but as he is under 24 then as long as we offer him an improved contract then we are entitled to a transfer fee if he signs for another club. Now that he is MOS, this fee will have have just shot up (I'm not sure how this would work if said club was in the NRL, however).

if the clubs cannota agree a transfer fee - the flat rate of £100 per day that they have been at the club comes in. So if he joined at 16 and wants to leave when he is 22 - that works out at around £200k. Not bad for the best player of his generation. If any NRL team comes in for him, they wont have to pay any transfer fee (its an EU rule).

Legolas
10th October 2007, 11:15
if the clubs cannota agree a transfer fee - the flat rate of £100 per day that they have been at the club comes in. So if he joined at 16 and wants to leave when he is 22 - that works out at around £200k. Not bad for the best player of his generation. If any NRL team comes in for him, they wont have to pay any transfer fee (its an EU rule).

EU legislation would have very little if any bearing were an NRL team to come a calling. The free movement of persons rule only applies vis-a-vis workers moving within the internal free market of 27 states. If a team based in the EU were to show interest and he is out of contract then the Bosman rule would come into effect. In any event, if he is contracted to us we can demand a transfer fee or refuse to let him leave. If any player were then to leave, we could bring a civil action in breach of contract. Were anyone to successfully invoke an EU rule which managed to successfully evade the paying of a transfer fee of which there could be lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots with the way that lot push rules out that we don't want or need [oh how I hate the EU] ... there is a common school of thought with practitioners in this area of practice throughout the bloc that this would amount to restraint of trade and the rule would almost certainly have to be struck down by the European Court of Justice, if indeed the Court of First instance didn't do it first or at the very least amended given the very unique nature of sport.

The Kolpak ruling on the other hand may have a bearing insofar as he could potentially go an play in the NRL outside of their quota IF he goes to the right team in the NRL which sort of limits it the NZW.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
10th October 2007, 11:31
EU legislation would have very little if any bearing were an NRL team to come a calling. The free movement of persons rule only applies vis-a-vis workers moving within the internal free market of 27 states. If a team based in the EU were to show interest and he is out of contract then the Bosman rule would come into effect. In any event, if he is contracted to us we can demand a transfer fee or refuse to let him leave. If any player were then to leave, we could bring a civil action in breach of contract. Were anyone to successfully invoke an EU rule which managed to successfully evade the paying of a transfer fee of which there could be lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots with the way that lot push rules out that we don't want or need [oh how I hate the EU] ... there is a common school of thought with practitioners in this area of practice throughout the bloc that this would amount to restraint of trade and the rule would almost certainly have to be struck down by the European Court of Justice, if indeed the Court of First instance didn't do it first or at the very least amended given the very unique nature of sport.

i know - that is what I said.

The Kolpak ruling on the other hand may have a bearing insofar as he could potentially go an play in the NRL outside of their quota IF he goes to the right team in the NRL which sort of limits it the NZW. the Kolpak ruling is an EU rule and has nothing to do with people going to work in Aus. also they dont have any overseas quota's in the NRL so that point is irrelevant. THe only thing stopping him going to Aus for free at the end of his contract is the Australian Immigration service that might not grant him a visa (if he has a criminal record, for example)

Legolas
10th October 2007, 11:43
Kolpak is an EU rule based on trading agreements and may be relevant insofar as the immigration status. Kolpak can arguably be invoked for non-sport professions because of the trading agreement.

Sadfish
10th October 2007, 11:52
JR is going nowhere. ;)

Wellensisno1
10th October 2007, 12:10
THe only thing stopping him going to Aus for free at the end of his contract is the Australian Immigration service that might not grant him a visa (if he has a criminal record, for example)

:eek: That rich considering their past!;)

kahuna
10th October 2007, 20:56
Worth every penny! Regardless of the cost

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
11th October 2007, 09:51

not quite. what if he wants £500k and we have to get rid of 5 players to fit him on the salary cap?

Dux
11th October 2007, 11:03
not quite. what if he wants £500k and we have to get rid of 5 players to fit him on the salary cap?

Then he'll probably have to retire.

Greengrass
11th October 2007, 11:15
i know - that is what I said.

that might not grant him a visa (if he has a criminal record, for example)
What you mean like"Tiptoe through the tulips" by Tiny Tim

Supersaint
11th October 2007, 11:43

Aye !!!and send us down same road as wigoon why dont ya?

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
11th October 2007, 12:01
Then he'll probably have to retire.

or go to Union...

maybe £500k was an exaggeration - but there will be clubs out there who can afford to offer a higher percentage of thier salary cap to him than we can. All depends where his motivation lies....he has already acheived everything in the game at the age of 21, he may just want to cash in now.

Supersaint
11th October 2007, 12:05
I have a feeling it might not be the money but the length of the contract that might be a problem, commiting yourself for a long period of time on the same money lets say a 5 year deal when after say 3 you could re-negotiate if and possibly get more cash if he establishes himself as our no1 hooker.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
11th October 2007, 12:13
I have a feeling it might not be the money but the length of the contract that might be a problem, commiting yourself for a long period of time on the same money lets say a 5 year deal when after say 3 you could re-negotiate if and possibly get more cash if he establishes himself as our no1 hooker.

He is the number 1 rated hooker at the club now, regardless of whether he starts games or not. Whatever he earns in his next contract will put him above Cunningham in the wages stakes. A longer term contract isnt necessarily a bad thing for a players - look at Sculthorpe..he signed a 4 year deal then spent the last 3 years of it on the phyio's bench. Had he signed a 2 year deal he would have been earning peanuts for the last 2 years.

Supersaint
11th October 2007, 12:37
He is the number 1 rated hooker at the club now, regardless of whether he starts games or not. Whatever he earns in his next contract will put him above Cunningham in the wages stakes. A longer term contract isnt necessarily a bad thing for a players - look at Sculthorpe..he signed a 4 year deal then spent the last 3 years of it on the phyio's bench. Had he signed a 2 year deal he would have been earning peanuts for the last 2 years.

I suppose it's getting the right balance, he isn't our no1 hooker until the KING retires!!! if he ••••s off though he never will be will he.

Dux
11th October 2007, 13:22
or go to Union...

maybe £500k was an exaggeration - but there will be clubs out there who can afford to offer a higher percentage of thier salary cap to him than we can. All depends where his motivation lies....he has already acheived everything in the game at the age of 21, he may just want to cash in now.

I'd be very very surprised if he feels ready to cash in his chips at the age of 21, but if he does, then good luck to him - obviously we couldn't compete with the kind of money he could make in the other code, if they wanted him of course.

I still think we are overwhelming favourites to secure his long term services though.

Hamstersaint
11th October 2007, 13:26
If he did go to the other code, where would you play him??? Roby would not have a natural positon on the other side. Look at the success's from League to the other code. Robinson is the only one in the UK game. Even in Oz it's only the wingers who have successfully made it accross.
Roby will not go to the other code. Fact!!!

Supersaint
11th October 2007, 13:36
If he did go to the other code, where would you play him??? Roby would not have a natural positon on the other side. Look at the success's from League to the other code. Robinson is the only one in the UK game. Even in Oz it's only the wingers who have successfully made it accross.

Scrum Half would suit him perfectly, as long as he worked on his kicking.

The Greatest
11th October 2007, 13:40
Scrum Half would suit him perfectly, as long as he worked on his kicking.

you need to add FACT onto the end of that sunshine. It just isnt true unless you do this.

Supersaint
11th October 2007, 14:27
you need to add FACT onto the end of that sunshine. It just isnt true unless you do this.

I would but I dont believe it myself lol

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
11th October 2007, 15:38

if PanFace can play centre in the Union World Cup - then Roby would be a revelation in that position. He would rip it up like Robinson did when he went there. Lets just hope that Saints can persuade him to stay.

emma
11th October 2007, 16:58
What does it matter roby going nowhere. He's a saint through and through.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
11th October 2007, 17:25
What does it matter roby going nowhere. He's a saint through and through.

how naive

Sausalito
11th October 2007, 18:35
If you carry on putting posts like these on here, and he reads them or someone tells him, it could put some ideas in his head and he will go. Leave well alone. :???: