PDA

View Full Version : Which of our Grand Final wins was the best for you?

Blobbynator
8th October 2007, 13:48
1999 v Bradford Bulls - 8-6

The Saints went in as underdogs after finishing 2nd and getting dismantled at Odsal two weeks earlier 40-4 against the Bulls. We weren't given much of a chance to be honest, although I think most of us expected an improved performance. The Bulls dominated the game and were 6-2 up for a large portion of the game before Iro went over in the corner to make it 6-6 with Long kicking the match winning conversion from the touchline.

2000 v Wigan Warriors - 29-16

A high scoring Grand Final that Saints deservedly won. Saints were ahead throughout after Hoppe and Joynt went over early doors and Sculthorpe put us 13-4 ahead at half time. Joynt scored again after half time and it looked game over at 17-4. Wigan fought back to 17-16 to give us a nervous finale, but Saints wrapped it up when Tuilagi and Jonkers scored towards the end.

2002 v Bradford Bulls - 19-18

Probably the closest Grand Final so far, with both sides punching each other blow for blow. The Bulls took the early lead, but after being dominated for the majority of the half, the Saints lead at the break. The Bulls soon got back into the game after half time and traded further tries through Withers and Gleeson. The end was tense with both sides having drop goal attempts before Long sealed it with a minute left and then we had the infamous 'Joynt Voluntary Tackle'.

2006 vs Hull - 26-4

The most comprehensive Grand Final victory by the Saints. After going in leading narrowly 10-4 at half time, the S produced a superb 2nd half display as Talau, Gardner and Cunningham finished off the game to seal a great 26-4 victory and secure the treble.

Which was your favourite?

Chris Saint
8th October 2007, 13:55
Tough one that one Blobbs!

Beating Wigan will always hold a high place in my heart - made sweeter by the fact that Farrell couldn't give us enough credit at the end.

Both Bulls games where great as we were on the back foot for long spells

Last years was the most comfortable i wasn't ever nervous like all the others

My favourite would be 2002 i think the fact both teams were out on their feet after 78mins and Saints had to go the length of the field to score the drop goal (Albert and Stewart's contribution to that score should not go unnoticed) made it stand out

Sadfish
8th October 2007, 13:55
deffo longy drop goal, the feeling was immense watching it sail over the bar, and the voluntary tackel debacle.

classic!

Scouse Don
8th October 2007, 14:37
Sorry,they're all brilliant for me!Can't pick one out.This year I have a confession to make.I am going as a guest of thr RFL.I will reveal all next sunday.would anyone be interested if I did a "day of the match" type posting in the style of despondent dave...I suspect I'll remember it all as I'll have to be on my best behaviour.Won't be a patch on Dave's posts though...thoroughly enjoy them by the way.

Burnley Saint
8th October 2007, 14:48
Got to say the Wigan one, went from Lancaster on the Wigan Supporters club bus, the chairman of our club was a Saints fan and had booked the tickets in the Saints end, priceless

Saint Bert
8th October 2007, 15:01
Same as the hippy

Sadfish
8th October 2007, 15:08
Same as the hippy

not only that but the feeling of how the hell we where only 12-6 down or whatever it was at half time. And Wello crying.

Barbarian
8th October 2007, 15:26
Although the 2002 was a better match, I did prefer last years. In 2002 we were sat at the back of the 3rd tier so couldnt see much. Also as I hadnt been to that many games before, it didnt mean as much to me coz I was more interested in football at the time. And didnt know all the rules as well as I do now. Last year meant more due to the dissapointment of the previous year, which was my first as a proper Saints supporter rather than part-timer.

Saints-Crusaders
8th October 2007, 17:57
a proper Saints supporter rather than part-timer.

What is a proper Saints supporter :???: ....... i still have difficulty with understanding what makes someone a proper fan

saint-hamlett
8th October 2007, 18:07
for arguments sake.....
lets just say i am the model 'proper fan'!!!!
he he he he

FearTheVee
8th October 2007, 18:10
8-6 for me, easy.

Barbarian
8th October 2007, 18:14
What is a proper Saints supporter :???: ....... i still have difficulty with understanding what makes someone a proper fan

I go to any home match that I can both travel to and afford. And all the local away games. Also a few others like the Leeds v Wigan match the other day. And am genuinly depressed when they lose an important match.

As a part-timer I went to a few big games a year and wasnt terribly bothered when they lost, but enjoyed the day out when they won.

BubbleSheep
8th October 2007, 18:18
2002 with Longs Drop Goal and Joynt's Voluntary Tackle - winner for me, hands down.

Blobbynator
8th October 2007, 18:42
not only that but the feeling of how the hell we where only 12-6 down or whatever it was at half time.

We were winning at half time you silly hippy! :p I think it was 12-8 after Bennett and Long put us ahead.

ploughman
8th October 2007, 19:21
the wigan game.the night we finally beat wigan in a major final.

DD
8th October 2007, 19:59
I appear to be in a distinct minority here but I would say the 8-6 against Bradford.

Whilst we were hot favourites against Hull and fifty-fifty in the other two, few people gave us a prayer against the Bulls in 1999. We had been destroyed by them two weeks previously and they had finished five points ahead of us.

Even during the game, few would have given us a prayer as they totally dominated for an hour, but when Longy whipped in that touchline conversion, I just had a feeling.

That said, I was still in a state of panic until one of the greatest moments of spontaneous celebration when Stuart Spruce dropped the ball under no pressure in the last minute, and you knew we had done it.

That was, for me, the greatest, purely and simply because no-one expected it. The Bulls just had to turn up to win and we were the cannon fodder.

Blobbynator
8th October 2007, 20:47
You make alot of good points, Dave.

1999 edges 2002 for me for the reasons you mention but also because it was our first Grand Final. Our first Super League title was special, and our first Grand Final was also special. Not only that, but I thought the atmosphere that day was excellent (and there weren't any bloody airhorns either). The Saints fans really got behind the boys as it was a 'backs to the wall' situation, nobody gave us a prayer. My god, it was a great feeling when we won that day.

2002 was great though and was probably the best overall experience as we had an amazing day out on the lash. In 1999, I was too young to drink. :eek:

The Verminator
8th October 2007, 21:22
For drama alone, 2002.

For sheer "we are miles better than all of you", 2006.

saint billy
8th October 2007, 21:25
I appear to be in a distinct minority here but I would say the 8-6 against Bradford.

Whilst we were hot favourites against Hull and fifty-fifty in the other two, few people gave us a prayer against the Bulls in 1999. We had been destroyed by them two weeks previously and they had finished five points ahead of us.

Even during the game, few would have given us a prayer as they totally dominated for an hour, but when Longy whipped in that touchline conversion, I just had a feeling.

That said, I was still in a state of panic until one of the greatest moments of spontaneous celebration when Stuart Spruce dropped the ball under no pressure in the last minute, and you knew we had done it.

That was, for me, the greatest, purely and simply because no-one expected it. The Bulls just had to turn up to win and we were the cannon fodder.

Exacly, my choice as well.

Saints Alive
8th October 2007, 22:24
the 2002 just because of the way James Lowe spat his dummy into orbit, (we also deserved it for the way we lost Wellens early doors with a broken cheek bone and dulls scored whilst we were distracted and a man down)

and that drop goal!!!

:saint:

the priest
8th October 2007, 23:12
All fantastic, but even if it had been the most boring game ever 2000 would still take it for me.

WIGANHATER
9th October 2007, 13:49
1999 for me. No-one gave us a hope. It was before we became "used to winning". Such tension at the end when Iro scored then Longy slotted the conversion from the touch line.

I think the poll results may be a little lobsided as a number of posters may have only started watching Saints in the last few seasons and wouldn't have seen the earlier finals.

Div
9th October 2007, 14:08
For me the 1996 Championship was a better feeling than any of them. The end of a 20 year wait for me.

As for the GF Longys DG has it.

DD
9th October 2007, 15:28
And here's the Day of the Match reports, as they were done at the time.

www.redvee.net

Supersaint
9th October 2007, 23:59
Longy's drop goal against Bradford for Excitement
The Wigan one for satisfaction.

Wizards Sleeve
10th October 2007, 15:23
They all meant an awful lot to me.
2000 was Wigan and the first time I'd seen Saints beat them in a major final.
2002 was one of the most exciting climaxes to a match I'd seen. Funny how Joynty was involved again after THE most exciting climax I had ever seen a couple of years earlier.
2006 was special for me as my other half is from Hull and I'm almost related to Paul Cooke. It was great to get that one out of the way. especially as easy as we did.
But my winner is 1999. As many have said earlier. Absolute underdogs against an almost unstoppable Bulls outfit. Up against it throughout. Can never forget Sonny's effort's to race and try to stop Henry Paul scoring. Leon's knock on I definately saw the rotation on the ball change in mid air ;) and then Longy's touchline conversion from right in front of me. Awesome. The best without doubt.

mrnike22
10th October 2007, 19:05
1999 for me, especially when the saints players entered the stadium with the white tracksuit top with the redvee, i cried my eyes out, was really emotional

Red-Celt-Saint Quinny
10th October 2007, 19:11
Defo 1999 for me. Remember being in the toilets before the game with about 7 or 8 Bulls fans. They were giving it the ''how many are we going to win by then?". 40, 50 & one even said 70. They didn't notice that I was in amongst them. For once I didn't rise and just said ''you may well win tonight, but you wont stuff us''. We bet a pint on it and arranged to meet after the game, and guess who never turned up!!!!lol lol

Ronny Zamora
10th October 2007, 21:20
2007! George has just dropped me off in his Time Machine.

Steward Saint
11th October 2007, 00:40
Although beating Wigan is always favourable, it has to be the 2002 i still get goosebumps watching it, couldn't ask for more in a final

singe
12th October 2007, 09:30
19-18 vs Bradford for me. Was over in the UK for a short time and actually got to go for a change. Was working in Hull at the time and headed back across the M62 with colours flying high.

Marvellous stuff.

Surrey Nick
12th October 2007, 10:12
Wigan for me. It felt really good after seeing Saints lose in two challenge cup finals.

Blobbynator
12th October 2007, 10:44
And the winning vote was.....

The 2002 Grand Final - St. Helens 19 - 18 Bradford Bulls

Click here (http://www.redvee.net/readarticle.php?article_id=499) for Despondent Daves Day of the Match from the occasion. Thanks for voting.