PDA

View Full Version : new blood or not ?

bazzo
5th October 2007, 09:54
i may be shouted down for expressing some of my thoughts from time to time but how many more supporters think its time for a reshuffle at Saints. even the great players eventually come to the end of their careers,
Scully and Longy are two players who have served us well over the years but through injury and perhaps loss of enthusiasm are not the players they were. releasing them would generate a lot of cash which would be injected into new blood which the club now needs if we are to maintain our levels of performance. do you agree and would your list any other players?

SaintsDavid
5th October 2007, 10:06
So the big players that are performing week in and week out and still performing at there best, what do you suggest we do get shut now for youngsters? :???:

Saint Bert
5th October 2007, 10:11
next year will be a transition period as plans are made and implememnted for the departure of DA and the end of the careers of some of our older players.

Having seen how keen on detail DA is, I am sure that even though he will not be here in 2009 he will have had an input as to the planning of that season on the back of his last.

I would not be too surprised either that when the coach for 2009 has been announced, he to will have some input on 2009 well in advance.

SaintsDavid
5th October 2007, 10:19
next year will be a transition period as plans are made and implememnted for the departure of DA and the end of the careers of some of our younger players.

Having seen how keen on detail DA is, I am sure that even though he will not be here in 2009 he will have had an input as to the planning of that season on the back of his last.

I would not be too surprised either that when the coach for 2009 has been announced, he to will have some input on 2009 well in advance.

Am i missing something?

Saint Bert
5th October 2007, 10:21
Am i missing something?

Smart Ar5e lol

SaintsDavid
5th October 2007, 10:46
Smart Ar5e lol

Your just typing too quick, thats all it is..lol

I know deep down your not dumb, nobody who teaches Geography to infants can be thick.....or can they? :eek:

Saint Bert
5th October 2007, 11:08
Geography AND Physics.

I shall soon be upgraded to leather elbow patches!

I'll be beating the pink brigade off a shitty stick, perhaps I will try it out on your good self sweetheart ;)

SaintsDavid
5th October 2007, 11:58
Geography AND Physics.

I shall soon be upgraded to leather elbow patches!

I'll be beating the pink brigade off a shitty stick, perhaps I will try it out on your good self sweetheart ;)

I thought you like the Pink brigade? i mean, wasn't it your idea to venture in this type of place? :eek:

theres only one stan wall
5th October 2007, 12:01
WRONG - The so called BIG players are not still playing at their best. If you look at allegedly the biggest earners over the last decade at saints, ie Longy Kc and Scully, all three are on the decline.
Before i get slated, KC is still class but has refined his game from the blockbusting runner he was years ago.

It is obviously a bitter pill to swallow for some but its the truth, and we need to release perhaps one a season rather than all three at once in two years to integrate new players. The vital retentions for saints now are the likes of Roby, Graham Wikin etc, which is now being reflected in cap demands.

Time will tell on how much we are hampered in relation to the cap with regards quality replacements, for the aforementioned three, but we may have a transitional 1-2 seasons ahead!

Saint Bert
5th October 2007, 12:09
I thought you like the Pink brigade? i mean, wasn't it your idea to venture in this type of place? :eek:

Whispers on the dance floor Davey boy, whispers on the dancefloor. They remind me of you! lol

Blobbynator
5th October 2007, 12:24
WRONG - The so called BIG players are not still playing at their best. If you look at allegedly the biggest earners over the last decade at saints, ie Longy Kc and Scully, all three are on the decline.
Before i get slated, KC is still class but has refined his game from the blockbusting runner he was years ago.

It is obviously a bitter pill to swallow for some but its the truth, and we need to release perhaps one a season rather than all three at once in two years to integrate new players.

KC is retiring at the end of next year and Long has two more years left. I imagine Long will be in and out of the team for the next two years and Smith will be given more opportunities. As for Scully, who knows? He's got a year to prove himself and if fit he's a great asset, but we've learned how to play without him, so whilst his experience would be a loss, I think we've replaced him already.

It's the Centre positions that are a worry as both are OOC at the end of next season. Tyrer is coming through, but I'm not convinced on him yet. No doubt Saints will be looking to keep one of Talau/Gidley on for another season and I think Talau is the most likely to stay. I imagine we'll be looking to recruit someone to replace Gidley next year.

And the biggest appointment of the lot is the coach. That's going to be a tough job, but I have faith that Mr. Big will come up trumps again.

As for now, the squad doesn't need much altering. I'd like another face to come in (prop or back), but we're not desperate for anybody as we have the likes of Smith, Tyrer, Clough, Moore, Eastmond, Dean etc coming through.

Gerry Mander
5th October 2007, 16:45
A bit of genuine Pace or a linebreaker in the pack would be nice.

Decisions regarding the old guard have been made for next season.

DA is going and most of the key contracts end next season.

So options are somewhat limited.

There are a few Talau fans considering recent threads. He has been good
but starting to get heavy legged IMO (does not make many line breaks
out wide). Not worth an extension beyond his current deal.

Would like to see him in the second row next season as a regular
spot and perhaps an Atkins/Shenton like centre brought in on the left.

I know it will attract sneers but I could see Meli as left centre with a
proper flyer outside him. With Talau in the left SR channel the defence
would be retained but increase the attacking flair down the famous
left attacking channel.

Looking increasingly like little or no activity on the signings front for 2008.

Div
5th October 2007, 18:03
Looking increasingly like little or no activity on the signings front for 2008.

....however rumours abound over Deacon and Mason.

ST Maca
5th October 2007, 18:13

Add a certain Gareth Ellis to that rumoured list;)

Gerry Mander
5th October 2007, 19:39

Since my Wilshere tip turned out to be a dud,
I've taken a more conservative approach to calling new signings:D

Reacher
5th October 2007, 19:43
I would like to see a bit more genuine pace. I would love to see a real flyer, a Sullivan/Albert type of flyer, someone who could go the length of the field and round a full back. Gardner is no slouch, and Meil proved against Leeds last season that he can motor when he gets going, but a real flyer with pace to burn as Ray French would say, would in my opinion really excite us supporters.

Penny at Warrington is a long way off being the finished article but is exciting when in full flow.