PDA

View Full Version : own try?

bongo
2nd October 2007, 10:04
be patient, this is my first effort. during a beer soaked debate some of the footie fans i know asked about the wellens grounding the ball before leeds almost scored. they said if you put the ball in your own net in footie, its a goal for the other side. if you touch down in your own ingoal area should it be a try for the opposition?

wellosgal
2nd October 2007, 10:15
No!! There would be loads of "Own Tries" otherwise!!

bobble
2nd October 2007, 11:43
Because they are making the wrong comparison. If Wello would have kicked it over his own bars then that would have been the equivilent of an own goal.

A try is there only to give a team an opportunity to 'try' for a goal. Originally in rugby points were not given for a try, that only came later.

What Wello did was more an equivilent of kicking the ball out for a corner.

Buddy
2nd October 2007, 11:56
it used to be given as a minor point in the very early days of rugby.

and they still use it in the NFL

Sausalito
2nd October 2007, 12:21

whats the nfl????

rammsteinbloke
2nd October 2007, 12:22
A prime example of why footie fans shouldn't get their brain in a twist when discussing proper sports...

RedVee Admin
2nd October 2007, 12:42
whats the nfl????
National Football League.

American Football. Probably the only sport in the world where a 60 minute game takes 4 hours and the World Championship is contested for by teams from just one country.

Sausalito
2nd October 2007, 12:44
I know it's a MINOR point but, what's the NFL got to do with Rugby League.:???:

Reacher
2nd October 2007, 12:46

I think he meant NRL

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
2nd October 2007, 13:06
National Football League.

American Football. Probably the only sport in the world where a 60 minute game takes 4 hours and the World Championship is contested for by teams from just one country.

that is baseball. dont think the NFL has a World Championship

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
2nd October 2007, 13:07

in American Football (NFL) if you touchdown in your own goal area the other team gets 1 point.

Div
2nd October 2007, 13:39
I think he meant NRL

Nope he defo meant NFL.

When a player is tackled behind his own line they opposition get 2 points, thinks its known as a ' safety'

RedVee Admin
2nd October 2007, 14:04
that is baseball. dont think the NFL has a World Championship
What's the Superbowl then?

RedVee Admin
2nd October 2007, 14:08
It's an example of a rugby style game where a "scoring action" behind your own line gifts the opposition points in the same manner as scoring an own goal in soccer; unlike Rugby League where it makes the ball dead.

Do try to keep up... ;)

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
2nd October 2007, 15:29
What's the Superbowl then?

thier equivalent of the Grand Final i.e. the winner of the SuperBowl is the winner of thier national title - it is called the NATIONAL Football League afterall

Knight Shadow
2nd October 2007, 17:14
be patient, this is my first effort. during a beer soaked debate some of the footie fans i know asked about the wellens grounding the ball before leeds almost scored. they said if you put the ball in your own net in footie, its a goal for the other side. if you touch down in your own ingoal area should it be a try for the opposition?

and that is why football is followed by more people.....simple things and AHEM

Mr Turncoat
2nd October 2007, 18:14
in American Football (NFL) if you touchdown in your own goal area the other team gets 1 point.
It's the CFL (Canadian Football League) that still awards 1 point to the opposition for touching down in your own in-goal.

Paul Cullen's Mantra
2nd October 2007, 20:40

Isn't that the game where they have more stops than a London bus route map? I would hardly compare our great game to that one played by a load of namby pambies.

COULD YOU SEE NICK FOZZARD WEARING A HELMET AND ALL THAT SHOULDER PADDING?.....HARD AS TITANIUM THAT MAN IS.

bobble
2nd October 2007, 23:26
Nevertheless, the two games have the same roots.

Reacher
3rd October 2007, 00:51
It still wouldnt surprise me if the NRL had the rule as they seem to do what they want in Oz. However their disciplinary system is much harsher than ours which is a good thing. Millard would not have got let off over there.. Lets not start on that again though.

Syd
3rd October 2007, 18:24
if you touch down in your own ingoal area should it be a try for the opposition?

Correct.

WIGANHATER
5th October 2007, 16:59
MY vote for most boring thread of the year goes to this one!

Div
5th October 2007, 17:55
MY vote for most boring thread of the year goes to this one!

What more boring than the " this weeks referee " threads ?