PDA

View Full Version : Game breakers

Johnnytwohats
2nd October 2007, 00:04
Over the last few seasons Saints have had a number of players who, by a turn of speed or a 'magic' pass or kick, have turned matches in our favour; Lyon, Long, Martyn, Cunningham, Sculthorpe, Albert, Newlove spring to mind.

At the moment these game breakers have either left or are no longer the forces they once were.

We lack pace and guile. We rely too heavily on James Roby and Leon Pryce, supported by a team 'work ethic'.

If Wigan or Leeds can close down the two players mentioned, we will struggle in the GF.

But what concerns me more is that, for next season, there is no strategy in place to address these shortcomings.

I know that this post seems very negative on the back of what has been achieved this season, but, if we stand still, others will overtake us.

southernsaint7
2nd October 2007, 00:08
what about Kieron? he had an immense effect on Fridays game! Wellens? Talau seems to come up with the goods especially in the big games (anyone lumping on him to score in the GF?) We still have plenty of game breakers

Shakespeare
2nd October 2007, 00:26
They will come.

Who the hell could replace Newlove back in the day.

He was replaced though, as will others (ie Long).

the_messiah_saint
2nd October 2007, 01:00
At the moment these game breakers have either left or are no longer the forces they once were.

We lack pace and guile. We rely too heavily on James Roby and Leon Pryce, supported by a team 'work ethic'.

If Wigan or Leeds can close down the two players mentioned, we will struggle in the GF.

Is'nt this also the same for wigan and leeds (barrett and richards) wigan have no play makers (Burrow and Sinfield) again the same we do play as a team all be it not all the time just that certain players stand out more often than not would'nt you agree:confused:

the_messiah_saint
2nd October 2007, 01:01

If Wigan or Leeds can close down the two players mentioned, we will struggle in the GF. :

Is'nt this also the same for wigan and leeds (barrett and richards) wigan have no play makers (Burrow and Sinfield) again the same we do play as a team all be it not all the time just that certain players stand out more often than not would'nt you agree:confused

Scouse Don
2nd October 2007, 10:36
I think you may be missing the point in this post.I think the changes recently in the game are vastly improved defences and the salary cap ensures that more teams have better and quicker players so that game breakers are less effective.
When you get to that level the game is all in the mind with quickness of thought and accuracy off pass or kick all the difference.That is why we miss Longy so much for that pace at which he dictates the attacking part of our game.

The Chair Maker
2nd October 2007, 11:09
Over the last few seasons Saints have had a number of players who, by a turn of speed or a 'magic' pass or kick, have turned matches in our favour; Lyon, Long, Martyn, Cunningham, Sculthorpe, Albert, Newlove spring to mind.

But what concerns me more is that, for next season, there is no strategy in place to address these shortcomings.

I know that this post seems very negative on the back of what has been achieved this season, but, if we stand still, others will overtake us.

What a load of rubbish.

A quick look at Saints try scoring charts shows we have plenty of game breakers.
Ade and Meli have both scored over 20 trys this season which is on a par with what Albert ever did.
Gidley has scored 17 trys which is excellent for a centre.
Pryce and Long still offer a lot of options in the creative stakes.
Wellens has scored 24 trys this season and regularly comes up trumps in attack and defence.
In the forwards Cunningham and Roby are the most devastating dummy half pair in world rugby.
In addition Wilkin is capable of big plays in major games, and I havent even mentioned Maurie who tends to liven things up when he comes on the field.
Gilmour is in double figures in the try scoring stakes.

Sausalito
2nd October 2007, 12:10
What a load of rubbish.

A quick look at Saints try scoring charts shows we have plenty of game breakers.
Ade and Meli have both scored over 20 trys this season which is on a par with what Albert ever did.
Gidley has scored 17 trys which is excellent for a centre.
Pryce and Long still offer a lot of options in the creative stakes.
Wellens has scored 24 trys this season and regularly comes up trumps in attack and defence.
In the forwards Cunningham and Roby are the most devastating dummy half pair in world rugby.
In addition Wilkin is capable of big plays in major games, and I havent even mentioned Maurie who tends to liven things up when he comes on the field.
Gilmour is in double figures in the try scoring stakes.
Think you have missed the point that johnnytwohats is trying to make, Game Breakers are players with the skill to carve an opening from nothing and Pryce and Roby are the only ones doing this at this moment in time. :???:

The Chair Maker
2nd October 2007, 12:39
Think you have missed the point that johnnytwohats is trying to make, Game Breakers are players with the skill to carve an opening from nothing and Pryce and Roby are the only ones doing this at this moment in time. :???:

A game breaker is IMO anyone who can come up with a big play to win a match or save it. eg Gidleys tackle at the weekend. That was a game breaking play.

Gardners catches in the World club challenge were game breaking.

Wellens all round play is game breaking.

The fact we have scored more trys than anyone else, and got so many people who have scored 15+ trys shows we are not short of game breakers, as otherwise we wouldnt be able to score trys, we would merely have a good defence. Salford were a prime example of this in 2006.