PDA

View Full Version : Saints v Leeds at LP

Dave Howarth
8th February 2012, 12:07
Just picked up an status on Facebook that our home game against the Rhinos scheduled for Saturday, 24th March has been put back to the Sunday evening (25th) with an 18.35pm kick off. Anything official chaps???

Reacher
8th February 2012, 12:11
Yes. The club tweeted it before

Div
8th February 2012, 12:39
Fixture list on official site changed to show that now.

rally
8th February 2012, 12:44
Excellent now in not going to miss it. I was gutted when I seen we were playing them on the Saturday :-)

Saint of Hull
8th February 2012, 12:54
Looking at the fixtures I love the optimism too - it shows Saints playing in all the rounds of the Challenge Cup!

Injury Crisis 2010
8th February 2012, 13:03
Most dischuffed, this is the third time I have had to alter plans, salford home, leeds away, now leeds home. Club certainly nows how to pi** people off. although I imagine this is another take one up the a**e for Sky.

Div
8th February 2012, 13:17
Most dischuffed, this is the third time I have had to alter plans, salford home, leeds away, now leeds home. Club certainly nows how to pi** people off. although I imagine this is another take one up the a**e for Sky.

Its not the club its Sky TV.

Gray77
8th February 2012, 13:25
This is setting terrible precedents changing not just the kick-off time but the actual date of a match TWICE. We start with it on Friday, it gets moved to Saturday for TV, now changed again to Sunday for TV. Why did Sky schedule it for Saturday in the first place if they didn't want it on that date?

This game is only 6/7 weeks away, some people who travel from a far book train tickets and days off work that far in advance to get cheap deals etc. I myself am planning on getting all my train journeys up to the North sorted tomorrow for all trips up until Easter, I'd have been screwed if I'd have booked them earlier in the week. This is getting too much now, Sky have too much power and nobody can honestly say the prospect of a game on a Sunday night at half six is enticing.

h-bomb
8th February 2012, 14:07
Fixture List for Outlook (webcal://www.paulmrheyes.webspace.virginmedia.com/StHelensRFCFixtures.ics) now updated for Leeds at Home and the Magic Weekend game which has been confirmed as 18:00 on Sunday 27th May

Those who have already subscribed to the calendar will receive the updates automatically.

Talk some sense!
8th February 2012, 14:26
I can't understand the reasoning behind this switch, unless there's some kind of obvious sporting clash that would decimate the viewing figures there's no real reason that I can see for this game to be shifted.

As it is it means I have a better chance of going to this game now, but i'm still annoyed at how easily fixtures are being moved around at what is relatively short notice.

Rogues Gallery
8th February 2012, 14:32
It's move to accommodate Northampton v Wasps which is now on Sky 1 at 5:45 (normal Superleague time)

Talk some sense!
8th February 2012, 14:34
Isn't our game the second highest viewed sport on Sky Sports to Football? Or is that something i've made up or heard incorrectly?

Playing second fidle to Union makes this all the more annoying.

Also i'm not a Union fan at all, is Northampton - Wasps a particularly big fixture?

Albion
8th February 2012, 14:46
Isn't our game the second highest viewed sport on Sky Sports to Football? Or is that something i've made up or heard incorrectly?

Second most watched DOMESTIC league watched yes.

Maybe their game would have been moved but something prevented a switch, so it fell to us

RonSaintWiggin
8th February 2012, 14:52
Wasps stung by Saints (Northampton) should make a good headline,clocks go forward same time.Why they could not play Sunday only sky know.

Geoggy
8th February 2012, 14:58
This is setting terrible precedents changing not just the kick-off time but the actual date of a match TWICE. We start with it on Friday, it gets moved to Saturday for TV, now changed again to Sunday for TV. Why did Sky schedule it for Saturday in the first place if they didn't want it on that date?

This game is only 6/7 weeks away, some people who travel from a far book train tickets and days off work that far in advance to get cheap deals etc. I myself am planning on getting all my train journeys up to the North sorted tomorrow for all trips up until Easter, I'd have been screwed if I'd have booked them earlier in the week. This is getting too much now, Sky have too much power and nobody can honestly say the prospect of a game on a Sunday night at half six is enticing.

As a fellow London resident I completely agree.

The number of games I can get to on my season ticket is diminishing by the day.

What is the clubs refund policy on season tickets?

Seriously - it will now be cheaper for me to just pay as I go.

parrsaint
8th February 2012, 15:50

I fully agree.

I am angry to say the least that this fixture has been changed yet again.

I was hoping to bring a group of 20 visitors from overseas to the Saints v Leeds game and planned the visit in accordance with the times of the game.
As they are all scheduled to fly home on the Sunday morning from Manchester Airport the plans are up in smoke.

Thanks a bunch Sky Sports. You won't be getting any more Sports Subscription money off me again for a long time as its getting cancelled as of today.
I'd rather pay the money to see the NRL matches than put up with this.

Sky have far too much power in running RL and although they have done some good things they are also causing too many detrimental problems as well.

DD
8th February 2012, 15:52

The Friday is irrelevant. That was before the TV fixtures had been chosen so everyone knew there was a good chance it was going to be moved.

Saturday to Sunday won't benefit you as a long distance traveller but unfortunately it is more likely to be of benefit to many more others as more people work on a Saturday than a Sunday.

The game has been switched at 7 weeks notice so it's hardly that short notice. Games get switched at much less notice every season.

Maybe as a football fan I've learned to be a bit more flexible than your average RL fan but it's modern day sport I'm afraid. It's not just Sky that do it and it's not just Rugby League. I have a City match in three weeks time at 5pm on a Wednesday! Now that's inconvenient. What can we do? Bugger all if you want all this money to be pumped into the game.

How we'd cope in Spain where games get scheduled less than ten days in advance, God only knows. I'm not sayin that's right but I've booke holidays including modes of transport and six different hotels with only four weeks notice. I appreciate there are people who do need to book shifts many months in advance but it's a tiny percentage and you can't please all of the people all of the time.

As it happens, Saints used to kick off regularly at 6pm on a Sunday and it seemed to be quite popular. I don't remember anyone complaining then that it "wasn't enticing.

There must be a valid reason why this game had to be moved so why don't people just write to Sky and try and find out what it is rather than just assuming Sky are a bunch of arse holes out to get you?

Gray77
8th February 2012, 16:13
The Friday is irrelevant. That was before the TV fixtures had been chosen so everyone knew there was a good chance it was going to be moved.

Saturday to Sunday won't benefit you as a long distance traveller but unfortunately it is more likely to be of benefit to many more others as more people work on a Saturday than a Sunday.

The game has been switched at 7 weeks notice so it's hardly that short notice. Games get switched at much less notice every season

I'm not moaning about the original change, that was obviously going to happen with Wigan v Wire the same week and that being arguably the bigger game. So when it was changed to the Saturday I had already half guessed that would happen. but that is the change, it was pencilled in, Sky confirmed it, it's on their live games schedule and that's fine with me, the game should be on TV. But then changing it AGAIN is unreasonable IMO. When we get people moaning about Fri night games moving to Saturdays and Sundays I'm of the same opinion as you, it's just common sense that some games will get moved for TV, but to move it and then move it again is too far. 7 weeks is not that long if you want to get cheap train tickets, tell mates and family that you want a bed for the night etc. When Sky change things around I generally don not complain, but when they do it twice I get the hump.

paulscnthorpe
8th February 2012, 16:19
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure. When the fixtures were released, was it not scheduled for the Saturday? I know its not our normal night, but sky have only changed it once from the original published fixture

Edit - Thought so

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/1421

I suppose you could split hairs, but when the fixtures were announced. It was always a Saturday

Gray77
8th February 2012, 16:23
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure. When the fixtures were released, was it not scheduled for the Saturday? I know its not our normal night, but sky have only changed it once from the original published fixture

No, all home games provisionally start as Friday but with the proviso that any can be changed once Sky announce their live games. It was changed to the Saturday when the TV games were announced as Sky wanted it live but Wigan v Wire is on the same weekend and is the chosen Fri night game. Then they've changed it again.

Harri81
8th February 2012, 16:31
Sadly it's the way of the modern game, matches will be changed and dictated when by sky.

It'll be interesting to see if Sunday's match with Leeds will get more or less viewings than the Monday night match. Could sky be shooting themselves in the foot with this one?

paulscnthorpe
8th February 2012, 16:33
Another thing weren't six pm on a Sunday pretty much the norm for skys "second game" up until about six years ago

Dos Cervezas
8th February 2012, 16:33
The annoying thing isn't necessarily the fact the game was originally moved from Friday to Saturday because those two are days you'd associate with Rugby League on TV, so to move it to Sunday will really annoy some.

parrsaint
8th February 2012, 16:41
Surely when the fixtures are all planned in advance they should know exactly which matches are going to
be televised and when.

I appreciate factors like the weather and unforseen circumstances play a part in fixtures
getting rearranged but really other than this there is no excuse. Sky are just taking the p*$$ and dont care.
The only reason they want to change fixtures is down to £££ and bad planning.

Gray77
8th February 2012, 16:42

Edit - Thought so

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/1421

I suppose you could split hairs, but when the fixtures were announced. It was always a Saturday

Those aren't the original fixtures, they are the fixtures after Sky announced the TV games. Bradford away and Leeds at home were changed and would never be on Saturday unless it were on Sky.

Injury Crisis 2010
8th February 2012, 16:50
The only reason they want to change fixtures is down to £££ and bad planning.

Spot on

paulscnthorpe
8th February 2012, 16:50
Those aren't the original fixtures, they are the fixtures after Sky announced the TV games. Bradford away and Leeds at home were changed and would never be on Saturday unless it were on Sky.

Surely going off the time and date " Friday 25th November, 2011 - 06:00" of the article, they're the first official fixtures released. I agree though the only reason for a Saturday game is sky.

Div
8th February 2012, 16:55
As a fellow London resident I completely agree.

The number of games I can get to on my season ticket is diminishing by the day.

What is the clubs refund policy on season tickets?

Seriously - it will now be cheaper for me to just pay as I go.

There is another thread where someome is looking for a season ticket in the West if that helps.

Geoggy
8th February 2012, 16:58
..and whats to stop them doing this to us 3 or 4 more times this season?

I can now only make 6 home games.

It was 8 when the fixtures were announced.

Am very annoyed.

Injury Crisis 2010
8th February 2012, 17:04
There must be a valid reason why this game had to be moved so why don't people just write to Sky and try and find out what it is rather than just assuming Sky are a bunch of arse holes out to get you?

In response I have already emailed Boots N All earlier today and asked for an official explanation, so we shall see what their response is tonight.

Won't hold my breath though.

macca24
8th February 2012, 17:16
Does anyone know how far in advance home tickets normally go on sale? I'm back from university that weekend and can now make the game so think I'll treat my dad to the match but would like to get pretty good seats.

Gray77
8th February 2012, 17:50
Does anyone know how far in advance home tickets normally go on sale? I'm back from university that weekend and can now make the game so think I'll treat my dad to the match but would like to get pretty good seats.

Well Hull tickets are on sale now and that is just over 4 weeks away so Leeds tickets should be available in the next 2 weeks or so.

Wallasey Saint
8th February 2012, 17:56

Am very annoyed.

I can sympathise with you, & it'll get worse as the last 2 regular season fixtures[home v London then away at Wigan], might be changed with only 2 weeks notice given.

Gray77
8th February 2012, 17:57
Surely going off the time and date " Friday 25th November, 2011 - 06:00" of the article, they're the first official fixtures released. I agree though the only reason for a Saturday game is sky.

That will have been when the original article was posted, and they'll have updated the fixtures in the article with TV games as they were announced but kept the head article the same hence not changing the date.

DD
8th February 2012, 18:26

Am very annoyed.

But are you merely annoyed because it affects you? ;)

All fixtures in the fixture list are "subject to change" and certianly you know full well that those after June are so your 6 might go for a Burton, in fact it probably will if you can only go on the Friday and can't make an other day

You see my gripe is that every single moved game for TV we have this same thread with the same complaints as if it's never happened before or if Sky have suddenly gone downhill and are treating the game with more contempt with each passing year.

From my old records I can tell you that the game at home to Sheffield was changed from 3pm to 6.30pm on a Sunday at two days notice by BSB in 1990. In 1993, Saints home game with Hull KR was moved forward from a Sunday to the Friday just 72 hours before the game ended up being played. Now they are things worth moaning about.

It's not ideal but it's not new and it happens every year. It isn't going to change this year and it won't change in future. It happens in football, it happens in Rugby Union and it happens in most team sports you would care to mention. Sometimes the changes work in your favour. Sometimes they don't.

Sky moved City v Chelsea to a Monday night six days before this game and I can't watch it now because I am on a pre-paid for bloody expensive train at the time. Them's the breaks. If the boss wants us to play Monday, we play Monday. You can't afford to tell the company that pays you millions a year to shove it because 1% of the supporters can't make it now or are slightly inconvenienced.

paulscnthorpe
8th February 2012, 18:43
On a personal level, I work shifts, so I can now go. I would also suggest more people would be able to make the Sunday instead.

That said, I feel for the long distance fans who've made plans already.

Overall I think 7 weeks is fair notice

Geoggy
8th February 2012, 19:03
But are you merely annoyed because it affects you? ;)

I wouldn't be moaning if it didn't.

Will just not bother with a season ticket for 2013, if there is going to be so much variability. We were sold Friday night games on the premise that games wouldn't move.

And that is the real point - we potentially have twice as many season ticket holders this year than ever before. This move and the Monday night move, might inconvence all those that previously used to pick their games. A fair proportion of these won't use redvee.- so your 1% figure could be significantly more

DD
8th February 2012, 19:17
I wouldn't be moaning if it didn't.

Will just not bother with a season ticket for 2013, if there is going to be so much variability. We were sold Friday night games on the premise that games wouldn't move.

And that is the real point - we potentially have twice as many season ticket holders this year than ever before. This move and the Monday night move, might inconvence all those that previously used to pick their games. A fair proportion of these won't use redvee.- so your 1% figure could be significantly more

And here was me thinking you were fighting the good cause on behalf of the people not yourself. ;)

We were never sold Friday night games on the premise that games wouldn't move at all. We were sold Friday night games on the premise that it would minimise the amount of movement as previously most Sunday afternoon games were shifted. By my reckoning 2 out of our 13 home games have been moved this season. That's as little as any other club from their normal matchday I would assume.

And if you are buying a season ticket when you are only going to get to 8 out of 13 games in the first place then surely you are better off not getting one anyway.

Private Pyle
8th February 2012, 19:18
We were sold Friday night games on the premise that games wouldn't move.

None of the fixtures have been sold to us for a guaranteed day of the week and there has never been any promise that the fixtures wouldn't be moved. Like it or lump it Sky pay good money to choose whichever fixtures they want with a certain period of notice - in fact I'm sure I've seen a website somewhere where it states the dates when Sky will make their decisions throughout the season.

Travelling from the ar$e end of Yorkshire each week makes any fixture move potentially difficult for me, but I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought my season ticket. Can't believe people are still surprised by Sky moving fixtures

Gray77
8th February 2012, 20:27
None of the fixtures have been sold to us for a guaranteed day of the week and there has never been any promise that the fixtures wouldn't be moved. Like it or lump it Sky pay good money to choose whichever fixtures they want with a certain period of notice - in fact I'm sure I've seen a website somewhere where it states the dates when Sky will make their decisions throughout the season.

Travelling from the ar$e end of Yorkshire each week makes any fixture move potentially difficult for me, but I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought my season ticket. Can't believe people are still surprised by Sky moving fixtures

You are absolutely spot on, and anyone who books travel now for a home game after June expecting it to be on a Friday is risking it because any game could change. Much like any fan who saw the original fixture list and made travel plans for Leeds to be on a Friday was being naive as they should have known it could change. We all know that games can change, and the sensible amongst us wait until the Sky deadline that is set out and wait and see if our games are altered for TV.

Problem with all this is that Sky did move our game, to the Saturday and put it in their live listings. Now they've changed it again. It's not Sky moving a game that is annoying me, that is part and parcel of modern sport and I never make concrete plans for a RL game until I know what Sky are doing. But they told us what they were doing, changed the date and confirmed it, and then moved it again. Once is fine, twice is unacceptable.

somerset-saint
8th February 2012, 20:36

Playing second fidle to Union makes this all the more annoying.

Also i'm not a Union fan at all, is Northampton - Wasps a particularly big fixture?

not really, wasps are crap and are struggling this season... I expect them to finish in the bottom 3... Off the field they are proper in the crap too, there is talk they may be the first big club to go out of business. I would expect a very good Northampton side to deal with them quite easily...

luckysaint
9th February 2012, 13:08
isn't our game the second highest viewed sport on sky sports to football? Or is that something i've made up or heard incorrectly?

Playing second fidle to union makes this all the more annoying.

Also i'm not a union fan at all, is northampton - wasps a particularly big fixture?

yes

RedVee Admin
9th February 2012, 13:34
Saints v Wasps should be a huge fixture, save for the fact that Wasps are gash at the moment.

Leagues ain't
9th February 2012, 22:58
I paid £90 last week for flights to go to this game (my first at the new ground). Now it's £90 wasted as my flight back home is on the Sunday evening. Not happy.