PDA

View Full Version : Sky sports

craigo12
3rd February 2012, 21:28
Just wondering does anyone know what the red and green lights around the clock on the Sky Sports games are for? Never seen it before and I can't figure it out.

Also what do you think about the Margin Meter?

paulscnthorpe
3rd February 2012, 21:58
Number of subs left?

Houghwood Saint
3rd February 2012, 22:06
Just wondering does anyone know what the red and green lights around the clock on the Sky Sports games are for? Never seen it before and I can't figure it out.

Also what do you think about the Margin Meter? Its another gimmick which makes the game look stupid!

somerset-saint
3rd February 2012, 23:30

margin meter.... totally irrelevant.... was never right once.... even with 2 minutes to go.... get rid now

Talk some sense!
3rd February 2012, 23:39
I will say though to skys credit, despite some of the silly gimmicks there looks to be plenty of Super League coverage this season with plenty of shows.

SaintJ
3rd February 2012, 23:41
Margin meter - what an utterly stupid gimmick. Could only be thought up by Sky/Phil Clarke.:???:

Two Wheeled Saint
3rd February 2012, 23:43
The Margin Meter is like a satnav telling you when you will reach your destination...
Utter b0ll0cks

Talk some sense!
3rd February 2012, 23:46
I also noticed tonight and may have missed it mentioned but the widnes post pads were still engage branded,

Herman
4th February 2012, 00:13
Sky are trying to innovate again. Not every one works but they try.

Barney7
4th February 2012, 01:09
What is the reason for so many commentators / pundits. I counted 9 at least

eddie
stevo
clarkey
kear
mcrea
carney
mcdermott
o'connor
Wells

Perhaps they should lose a few and gift the money to Grass roots rugby.

Sean Day
4th February 2012, 08:19

eddie
stevo
clarkey
kear
mcrea
carney
mcdermott
o'connor
Wells

I think it's brilliant that they see rugby league as important as the length of that list reflects. We had THREE AND A HALF HOURS of dedicated coverage last night and people are moaning about a graphic at the bottom of the screen.

Scouse Don
4th February 2012, 08:35
I think it's brilliant that they see rugby league as important as the length of that list reflects. We had THREE AND A HALF HOURS of dedicated coverage last night and people are moaning about a graphic at the bottom of the screen.

what he said

saintgeorge
4th February 2012, 09:30

eddie
stevo
clarkey
kear
mcrea
carney
mcdermott
o'connor
Wells

You forgot to mention Ratboy who qualifies because he plays for Wigan and so can join the love-in with Clarkey, the two Bazes and Carney

Rogues Gallery
4th February 2012, 09:31

Agree.

Rogues Gallery
4th February 2012, 09:34
You forgot to mention Ratboy who qualifies because he plays for Wigan and so can join the love-in with Clarkey, the two Bazes and Carney

That'll be McDermott who is employed by Leeds, O'Connor who is employed by Widnes, and Carney who is employed by Warrington.

paulscnthorpe
4th February 2012, 09:39
Hasn't TOC and Barrie mac gone to premier sports now

Shaft
4th February 2012, 09:48
They were on the red button yesterday. That's when I switched off

saintgeorge
4th February 2012, 09:52
All with Wigan associations

Agent Mulder
4th February 2012, 10:36
All with Wigan associations

Exactly they have all played for Wigan. St. George I thought you were my hubby in disguise as he said exactly the same last night. In fact he said it should be called Wigan League not Super League. lol

Tallahassee
4th February 2012, 10:46
I don't watch the RU coverage,do they have so many 'experts'(haha yeah right),or something as pointless as the Margin Meter?

Sausalito
4th February 2012, 11:13
I don't watch the RU coverage,do they have so many 'experts'(haha yeah right),or something as pointless as the Margin Meter?

They have more experts in RU and they talk a lot crap as well. Their Margin Meter is Barnes and Morris. lol

Jamie's Boots
4th February 2012, 11:47
Eddie said it was a bit of fun and I thought it was a bit of fun. Obviously a real talking point on Twitter since it was trending up to fourth at one point!

Wizards Sleeve
4th February 2012, 12:22
Well the margin meter (good or bad) has got a lot of people talking. When it first appeared I thought 'That's interesting' and wondered if it would be correct at the end of the game. The fact that it changed every five minutes in the second half effectively made it useless. Anyone can changed their prediction (as I assume most do) during a game of RL.

In reality, all the margin meter did was give you the 'in game' handicap from the bookies as the game progressed. I don't see much point in it all to be honest.

Woodspeckie
4th February 2012, 17:08
Cullen & Angela to add too

eddie
stevo
clarkey
kear
mcrea
carney
mcdermott
o'connor
Wells

Oldham_Saint
9th February 2012, 23:32

eddie
stevo
clarkey
kear
mcrea
carney
mcdermott
o'connor
Wells

I don't have SKY Sports now, but it was a big mistake when they gave Waldorf a 5 year deal a bit back. Both of them are tired, and while I admire their love and passion for the game, they need to be put out to grass as they're past it for me.

There was nothing wrong with Bill Arthur when he did the Championship games, move him up to SL and give Jon Wells a bigger role.

The main problem is that SKY still think they HAVE to sell the product, and any criticism will damage the product. The fact is there are things wrong with the game and at time they are blindingly obvious, but Sky will skirt over them as if they don't exist.

Gray77
10th February 2012, 00:54
The main problem is that SKY still think they HAVE to sell the product, and any criticism will damage the product. The fact is there are things wrong with the game and at time they are blindingly obvious, but Sky will skirt over them as if they don't exist.

That's my main issue with them as well, it's gone from analysis of the game to selling of a certain part of the game (Super League) with never ending hype and 'better than ever' sound bites.

Last nights Boots N All was the perfect example, with Carney (who is far and away the best they have and is still new enough not to have been beaten down yet) speaking loads of sense on the new players Union and talking up possible coaches and fans unions as good ideas, but with the two old stagers looking well out of touch with nothing to add but the same old rubbish.

paulscnthorpe
10th February 2012, 07:46
I don't have SKY Sports now, but it was a big mistake when they gave Waldorf a 5 year deal a bit back. Both of them are tired, and while I admire their love and passion for the game, they need to be put out to grass as they're past it for me.

There was nothing wrong with Bill Arthur when he did the Championship games, move him up to SL and give Jon Wells a bigger role.

Horses for courses for me.

I don't mind Eddie and stevo, bill Arthur and John Wells are dreadful to me as well. Barry and terry are alright, when they're not being lead by sky to be overly stupid.

Brian Carney is excellent, as is Sean McRae

Geoggy
10th February 2012, 08:48
I also noticed tonight and may have missed it mentioned but the widnes post pads were still engage branded,

I read a tweet earlier this week that 6 games had Engage branded post pads.

Clearly the Stobart sponsorship is literally just them sticking ads on a dozen or so lorries.

Div
10th February 2012, 09:08
I read a tweet earlier this week that 6 games had Engage branded post pads.

Clearly the Stobart sponsorship is literally just them sticking ads on a dozen or so lorries.

Broncos last week had not only the post pads but all the flags as well.

Dos Cervezas
10th February 2012, 09:51
Clarke should have gone when he said McGuire or Burrow (I can't remember which one) deserved the long term injury they recieved, this Margin Meter of his is also a joke. Its almost as if they had to find him something to talk about for a couple of minutes here and there because he has time left on his contract. I'd rather see in play betting odds pop up than "Widnes by 5" followed by "Wakefield by 11" three minutes later.

Rogues Gallery
10th February 2012, 09:52
The red and green lights are indeed the number of subs used and left which I think is a good idea. The margin meter is a bit of fun that has got people talking, take it as that.

I really used to like Tony Reas analysis and he was a sad loss to our game from that pov.

Dos Cervezas
10th February 2012, 10:05
The red and green lights are indeed the number of subs used and left which I think is a good idea. The margin meter is a bit of fun that has got people talking, take it as that.

I really used to like Tony Reas analysis and he was a sad loss to our game from that pov.

Totally agree.

Rea's analysis on Boots N All was top notch. Cullen's decent but not a patch on Rea for me.

wabo
10th February 2012, 10:38
I've been critical of sky in the past but the coverage during the first week of the season has been fantastic.
Over 3 hours live coverage Friday the new super league full time on a Sunday was great with plenty reruns on Monday
Boots n all has had a revamp and now focuses solely on stats and current hot topics and was a much better program for it.
Then there is still the fantastic super leagues super men and not to mention Thursday night championship rugby, NRL full time And a live Saturday/Monday game and we've got RL on nearly 7 days a week.

StJohnS
10th February 2012, 10:59
I've been critical of sky in the past but the coverage during the first week of the season has been fantastic.
Over 3 hours live coverage Friday the new super league full time on a Sunday was great with plenty reruns on Monday
Boots n all has had a revamp and now focuses solely on stats and current hot topics and was a much better program for it.
Then there is still the fantastic super leagues super men and not to mention Thursday night championship rugby, NRL full time And a live Saturday/Monday game and we've got RL on nearly 7 days a week.

Only Sky haven't got Championship rugby any more.

Talk some sense!
10th February 2012, 11:18
Horses for courses for me.

I don't mind Eddie and stevo, bill Arthur and John Wells are dreadful to me as well. Barry and terry are alright, when they're not being lead by sky to be overly stupid.

Brian Carney is excellent, as is Sean McRae

I disagree with Jon Wells - I think he's been a good addition. I think we'll see less of Stevo this year than we have in the past and he'll be used primarily for match commentary with the analysis before and after games being left to the likes of Wells, Carney & Clarke.

I'd agree with the Tony Rea bit too, he was probably the most informative expert they've had.

Albion
10th February 2012, 15:12
I like Sky's coverage of the game tbh, as mentioned we get a lot of air time through various shows and I think the analysis is improving.

People are taking margin meter to be a 'predictor' when in fact it shouldn't be taken as such. The concept behind it is good as explained on Boots 'n' all by Clarke, it shows who's on top and has the 'momentum' at that point in the game through analysis of the stats (explains the movement throughout the match). However I do think it is incorrectly used and is not termed well.

Stevo needs to be taken off Boots 'n' all and left for match coverage as for me as his POV of the game is very 'old school' whereas Carney, Clarke, Wells, Barry and Terry are the best pundits who offer a good opinion of the game IMO and should be utilised on the show. Eddie is a good anchor I think.

Overall we can't complain and the suggestion of any bias towards Wigan is ridiculous. The criticism of Clarke gets quite boring, as he definitely knows what he's talking about when it comes to the stats aspect of the game