PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 up

Sean Day
1st February 2012, 18:52
http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/feb/01/st-helens-super-league?cat=sport&type=article

According to this article

Agent Mulder
1st February 2012, 19:02
That's fantastic news to hear.

somerset-saint
1st February 2012, 19:06
That's fantastic news to hear.

I just hope we can sustain it for future seasons....

reliable sauce
1st February 2012, 19:25
'more than twice as many as the club have ever sold before'

Fantastic news.

Geoggy
1st February 2012, 19:28
Anus way - lol!

The Chief
1st February 2012, 19:48
So, back of a fag packet, that's around £2-2.5M income guaranteed this season in season ticket sales alone. That's not a bad boost to the coffers. Awesome work.

Saints-Crusaders
1st February 2012, 20:07
According to the Media Manager, we've as good as sold that many...which sounds to me like they've not quite reached 10,000 ....plus it's not more than twice what we've ever sold..as we sold 6,000 in 2006.

But don't let facts get in the way of a true story

DD
1st February 2012, 20:46
There was a fear amongst many people I knew that the year away from St. Helens would mean that people would get out of the habit and season ticket sales wouldn't substantially increase. It's nice to see that those fears were unfounded or at least if they were, they have been replaced by a substantial amount of first time season ticket holders.

I'm confident that we are going to achieve an average of 14,000 this year which is probably above our wildest dreams of a few years ago. I remember in the early 1990s Saints saying they needed to get an average of 10,000 to break even and me never thinking I would ever see the day we would average such a figure.

I get a feeling other club's jibes about our attendances will be a thing of the past. :)

Reacher
1st February 2012, 20:49
Quick someone bookmark this thread. A positive post from DD :-)

Herman
1st February 2012, 20:58
I saw DDs post and had to read it twice. I think he's been hacked.

saint mully
1st February 2012, 22:45
Excellent news, could never have envisaged us reaching this milestone even with the new ground!

Interesting McManus says a lot of it is due to people bringing their wives, children etc. Just shows how much Knowsley Road had been hampering the club's gates. Hopefully we can maintain the increase and looking at past cases in Warrington and Hull we should be able to!

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 10:08
Great news, this stadium has moved us into a different league completely in terms of how we can now operate as a business. KR I’m sure had us running at a loss, no income was generated through anything other than ticket sales and the costs to maintain the place probably took away any of the profit we were making. It’s chalk and cheese really and the future is bright whereas at KR is wasn’t.

The club though simply cannot get complacent, there will be a percentage of fans who have bought the season tickets based on novelty value and it’s these fans we need to work on and get renewals out of. The matchday experience needs to match up to the facilities otherwise the wives and children element will drop off, success will of course help and hopefully this season we can achieve some success, Mal Meninga and Jamie Lyon coming in next season though will of course attract a fair few fans…

Saints-Crusaders
2nd February 2012, 10:27
Mal Meninga and Jamie Lyon coming in next season though will of course attract a fair few fans…

Will they be the half time or pre match entertainment ???? ;)

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 10:36
Will they be the half time or pre match entertainment ???? ;)

I think they're running the bars in the concourses

StJohnS
2nd February 2012, 11:18
Excellent news, could never have envisaged us reaching this milestone even with the new ground!

Interesting McManus says a lot of it is due to people bringing their wives, children etc. Just shows how much Knowsley Road had been hampering the club's gates. Hopefully we can maintain the increase and looking at past cases in Warrington and Hull we should be able to!

Lets face the toilets alone at Knowsley Road would have put a hell of a lot of people off going.

The Verminator
2nd February 2012, 11:38
As well as young families, I noticed a lot more older people at the Widnes game, the opportunity to sit down for every game will be a big draw to them as well. The whole stadium package is just geared up for us to have bigger crowds. I would be very surprised if we don't make an official announcement when 10k comes up but we're either there or there abouts. As has been said it's a fantastic achievement for the club after a year on the road and let's hope we continue to grow our crowds.

johnnyl
2nd February 2012, 11:40

it will soon dip when the product on the pitch is poor :wink:

Gray77
2nd February 2012, 12:57
Not massively surprised. Hull managed the same upturn in gates, so did Warrington. A one-off case is hard to prove as a trend, but when two clubs of similar stature to ourselves both get sizeable crowd increases off the back of new stadiums I always felt the same would happen to us.

DD
2nd February 2012, 12:57

There's generally no point in posting if you are happy about something. There's nothing to discuss.

I'm a debater not an arse licker. ;)

Saints-Crusaders
2nd February 2012, 13:03
I'm a debater not an arse licker. ;)

And he's a master debater ;)

NortonSaint
2nd February 2012, 13:04
Lets face the toilets alone at Knowsley Road would have put a hell of a lot of people off going.
Couldn't they have waited until they got home?

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 14:32
9700 sold according to an email recieved from Saints - 300 in the next week achievable?

johnnyl
2nd February 2012, 14:40
Couldn't they have waited until they got home?

I really do hope that this is in jest

Syd
2nd February 2012, 16:27
Was'nt there an email sent out today from Saints saying were still around 300 shy ?

I am happy to buy 300 seats on 10 yr deals just so we can get the magical 10k figure....

Great to see such a respone from the people in Sintelins village, it seems all they wanted was bog roll, a roof and better baby facilites in order to get them off their arm chairs, and into the arena.

LETS AVE IT !

Private Pyle
2nd February 2012, 17:59
Never in a million years did I expect Saints to have 10,000 season ticket holders, that's just phenomenal. Especially when you think there's no heavy discounting (ala Bradford and Huddersfield) and a significant portion of those supporters who had the cheaper terracing season tickets at KR (RIP) will now be paying the higher price for seating. It's difficult to exaggerate just how much the new stadium has done for the long term financial security of the club.

I guess the next big job will be keeping as many of those 10,000 as possible for future seasons. Fingers crossed for a successful season on the pitch as well as of it.

lee.ashtonsaint
2nd February 2012, 18:10
So if we can get 1000+ saints fans to attend on a "pay as you go" basis, and 2500+ away fans we should be in for a good year. The crowd widnes brought was a bit poor though, that needs to be beefed up a bit.

paulscnthorpe
2nd February 2012, 18:11
So if we can get 1000+ saints fans to attend on a "pay as you go" basis, and 2500+ away fans we should be in for a good year. The crowd widnes brought was a bit poor though, that needs to be beefed up a bit.

To them it was just another friendly, and not worth twenty quid

BubbleSheep
2nd February 2012, 18:35
The crowd widnes brought was a bit poor though, that needs to be beefed up a bit.
Most wouldn't pay the £20 odd it was, as most of their friendlies so far have cost less than £10 for them.

BubbleSheep
9th February 2012, 15:17
Just got an email saying the 10,000 is now officially sold! Fantastic news for the club

Gruntfuttock
9th February 2012, 15:23
Heres the link

http://kappa.ecommzone.com/lz/HELENS/00652N/0661d94473b286ab50a837ff8735c73c06/home.htm

and saying 15,000 tickets sold for Friday
COYS!!!

FearTheVee
9th February 2012, 15:29
Never though I'd see the day.

What a marvellous time to be a Saints supporter.

Gruntfuttock
9th February 2012, 15:43
Fantastic time to be a Saint !! lets hope we have a great season on the pitch

saintgeorge
9th February 2012, 15:47
As a matter of interest, does anyone know how that figure compares with other SL clubs? Would have thought that only Pies and Leeds would have more.

Agent Mulder
9th February 2012, 15:51
10'000 + is a fantastic achievement. Well done the club and well done to the fans who have paid out for them in this economic climate. :grin:

Windle Lad
9th February 2012, 15:52
Said it before, but this year might also see a good run on half season-tickets if they are issued - particular if things are going well on the pitch. I am sure we will see some people wanting to book a spec for next year if they haven't bought one earlier on.

Great effort on the 10K though - just need to sell Friday out now and that's another big tick in the box for the club!

FearTheVee
9th February 2012, 15:58
As a matter of interest, does anyone know how that figure compares with other SL clubs? Would have thought that only Pies and Leeds would have more.

I would imagine that Hull FC will shift 10k or pretty close.

Agent Mulder
9th February 2012, 16:01

I think Bradford have sold 10k+ as I think they did cheap season tickets again.

TW2 Saint
9th February 2012, 16:02

Wigan are about 500 ahead of us with an 11k target.
Hull target was 8k (not sure how many they've sold).

Anyway sod the rest, we only need to worry about the best. 10k is a fantastic effort - lets hope the buzz transmits itself to the team and they give us a season to be proud of...............and a silver pot at the end of it. Oh to remember the days when I accompanied 4000 other hardy souls to a home Boxing Day game v Oldham. Compared to today, what have the youth of today got to moan about (other n the fact that Eigan aren't in the second tier competition). Happy days :-).

Rogues Gallery
9th February 2012, 16:05

Only Wigan and Warrington will bring 2,500+ to the stadium, sad but true.

Dynamite Don Brennan
9th February 2012, 16:08
Heres the link

http://kappa.ecommzone.com/lz/HELENS/00652N/0661d94473b286ab50a837ff8735c73c06/home.htm

and saying 15,000 tickets sold for Friday
COYS!!!

Hmmm disappointed with that figure,no chance of a sell out.

Back Row Singer
9th February 2012, 16:59
Only Wigan and Warrington will bring 2,500+ to the stadium, sad but true.

Wigan will sell out the East, have some in the North, and the South. The majority of the West will be full of Wigan supporters, and there will still be 'loads' trying to get them. ;)

It's the same every season, 'apparently'...

Wallasey Saint
9th February 2012, 17:21

But still a good turn out considering it's Salford, even though it is the first game in the new stadium.

I think some fans will turn up tomorrow without a ticket, hoping to pay on the turnstiles.

Gray77
9th February 2012, 18:30

I always had a fear that the Widnes game would stop this one selling out as different people would attach different meanings to both games. To some, tomorrow is the proper first game (that is my opinion as well) but to others Widnes was the big occasion and the official first game at the new place. Take away the Widnes game and tomorrow would defo be a sell out, but we had to have the test run game and I think enough floating fans went to that game and are giving tomorrow a miss which is a shame.

On the bright side though, we now have 10,000 regulars as opposed to about 6,000 and even without the big-game Charlie's we'll still pull in 11-12k most weeks and average around 14k this season, so we have to take the positives I reckon.

Reacher
9th February 2012, 19:52
Agree Gray. I just hope that the marketing bods are planning already for the next few seasons. We need to retain any new fans. The first season was always going to show a significant increase in the average crowd.

2013 is key though.

somerset-saint
9th February 2012, 20:22
Wigan will sell out the East, have some in the North, and the South. The majority of the West will be full of Wigan supporters, and there will still be 'loads' trying to get them. ;)

It's the same every season, 'apparently'...

warrington are just as bad..... the last time we played them at knowsley road we 'apparently' gave warrington 7'500 tickets, then after they sold all of them in one day, we gave them a few thousand more, and apparently loads came to knowsley road and bought more..... I feel really lucky I managed to get one.......

Albion
9th February 2012, 20:36

Don't agree.

If we played against a side with a bigger away support then this would be close to a sell out, I'd say at least 14,500 will be Saints fans...so far.

That's still a good number for a game against Salford and for the reasons listed by Gray77 re: the Widnes match

Gray77
9th February 2012, 20:44
Agree Gray. I just hope that the marketing bods are planning already for the next few seasons. We need to retain any new fans. The first season was always going to show a significant increase in the average crowd.

2013 is key though.

We've basically got 3 groups of fans IMO.

Group A is ST holders
Group B is the walk up crowd
Group C is the big game crowd who turn up for Wigan and Wire

Roughly speaking they used to number about 6k, 2-3k and 3-4k which mean't we'd get 7-9k most weeks, and 13-14k for Wigan and Wire alongside the away fans which made them sell-outs.

Now Group A is 10000, and it is unknown from which of the other two groups the extra 4k have come from. Will we still have the walk-up crowd we had at KR or have they all bought ST's? How many of Group C bought ST's? This is the stuff that the club should be trying to find out. I always thought that the new ground would give us a completely new group of fans who never went at all and are now giving it a go, but I've no idea if that is the case and it could just end up with us having the same people in the ground as we had at KR but with more floating fans there more regularly.

Back Row Singer
9th February 2012, 20:50

A.k.a 'The Beer Throwers'

BubbleSheep
9th February 2012, 21:27

Group A is ST holders

I used to be in Group C, purely on the fact I lived away for half the season. But would come home for the bigger games, and games over the holidays. That's changed now, I've got a season ticket, as have both my parents.

Talk some sense!
9th February 2012, 21:44
A.k.a 'The Beer Throwers'

You'll have to explain this one for me...

Reacher
9th February 2012, 21:51
You'll have to explain this one for me...

He/she means the rowdy ones, the ones that can't handle their beer. The ones that throw beer over other Saints fans at the DW.

Talk some sense!
9th February 2012, 22:03
He/she means the rowdy ones, the ones that can't handle their beer. The ones that throw beer over other Saints fans at the DW.

I'm not a massive fan of generalisations to be honest like this, it's not necessarily the point the poster is making but it always strikes me as a 'better fan' type effort which irks me. One of my pet hates i guess

macca24
9th February 2012, 22:15
Some fans only have the money/time to make it to certain games too. I would love to a season ticket holder but I'm away at uni so can only get to the odd game when I'm back home or if I make a special effort. I'll be coming back for the Leeds game as well as Wigan as it's in easter. These fans like me will probably go to more games now since the whole experience will be better and worth the effort (3 hour journey on public transport to watch us at home against salford at KR wouldn't exactly have me jumping with excitement). I think the stadium will make a massive difference to these fans.

(Before someone has a go of me only going to the big games I've been to watch us away at Crusaders, Wakefield et...)

bewareshadows
9th February 2012, 22:19

Group A is ST holders

Roughly speaking they used to number about 6k, 2-3k and 3-4k which mean't we'd get 7-9k most weeks, and 13-14k for Wigan and Wire alongside the away fans which made them sell-outs.

Now Group A is 10000, and it is unknown from which of the other two groups the extra 4k have come from. Will we still have the walk-up crowd we had at KR or have they all bought ST's? How many of Group C bought ST's? This is the stuff that the club should be trying to find out. I always thought that the new ground would give us a completely new group of fans who never went at all and are now giving it a go, but I've no idea if that is the case and it could just end up with us having the same people in the ground as we had at KR but with more floating fans there more regularly.

In the end even if it is the same set turning up more often, it's still more money.
More regular fans, will attract more part time and regular fans. Works a bit like gravity more attracts more.

Back Row Singer
9th February 2012, 22:21
The ones that throw beer over other Saints fans at the DW.

Correct

I'm not a massive fan of generalisations to be honest like this, it's not necessarily the point the poster is making but it always strikes me as a 'better fan' type effort which irks me. One of my pet hates i guess

I've no idea to why the fact I pointed out the 25 idiots who turn up at the DW and HJ, throw beer over their own supporters, then don't attend another game, is seen as me boosting my application form for fan of the year?

Having said that, I'd say I was a better fan by standing there supporting the team, instead of standing there supporting the team, then hurling beer all over my fellow supporters.

P.S, If there is a 'Fan Of The Year' competition, Vote BRS ;)

badlydrawnsaint
9th February 2012, 22:27
I hope we do get 10000+ the loud shouts of forward aginst leeds might help the refs to see em clearer and start giving em.besides that i missed the big knowsley road nights last year the 10 9 8 countdowns the last ten minute pushes all seems a distant memory.shame we wont get kc leading out the chargers .

Gray77
9th February 2012, 23:03
In the end even if it is the same set turning up more often, it's still more money.
More regular fans, will attract more part time and regular fans. Works a bit like gravity more attracts more.

I wasn't in any way trying to make one group better than others, as anyone on here who knows me personally will know my attendance record last season was poor and I haven't had a season ticket since about 1996 and was very much a walk-up fan for every season since then up until this one. My point was that Saints need to get new people into the ground and not just getting existing 'now and again' fans to go more often. That of course will mean bigger crowds and more money, but I worry that next season and the season after some of these fans may go back to how they used to pick and choose games (for all kinds of personal reasons) once the novelty wears off so getting new, and especially young fans in through the door is essential. That may already be happening, and as I said originally I have no evidence of proof of my opinions, they are merely that, my opinions.