PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Griffin did the dirty on Saints

Albion
1st February 2012, 11:02
Only just seen this article (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/4097883/Darrell-Griffin-Sorry-I-was-no-Saint.html) and I haven't seen it mentioned on here.

Seems that the rumours that we were signing Griffin were true...apparently he shook hands with our management but once Leeds came in for him, he went back on the handshake and signed a deal with them - I think that is quite unprofessional tbh, but can understand him wanting to join a club closer to him.

I don't think he is that much of a loss, to me he is an average player and seems to carry a lot of 'baggage' so I'm glad in a way that we didn't end up signing him.

So this must mean that we are under the cap, especailly as the Tomkins rule had not come into play at this point and it also means that Royce thinks that we are a prop light.

I'm glad we have not gone down the Leeds route and just signed any player to fill the numbers (Richard Moore) but if we get injuries in the front row we will just have to blood the youngsters.

Also, why does it take Leeds one day to sign a player, whereas it took us a while to get the deal sorted...hmmm :%

saint_yick
1st February 2012, 11:22
Bit of a bad thing to do but you can understand his reasons and fair play to him for publicly admitting it, I don't think he is that big of a loss anyway, like the bit of why he didn't join the goons or widiots because he wants to win things

Tallahassee
1st February 2012, 17:48
Had we had signed him,would that mean we wouldn't have signed Flanaghan?

reliable sauce
1st February 2012, 18:16

Interesting point.

If we signed Griffin would that have meant Laffranchi moving to 13..

8. Perry
9. Roby
10. LMS
11. Wilkin
12. Soliola
13. Laffranchi

Bench: Clough, Puletua, Griffin, Utility

No point in thinking about it now, what's done is done.
If i had the choice I would choose Flanagn over Griffin, Flanagan is young and has bags of potential.

HoofeHearted
1st February 2012, 19:18
Only just seen this article (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/4097883/Darrell-Griffin-Sorry-I-was-no-Saint.html) and I haven't seen it mentioned on here.

Seems that the rumours that we were signing Griffin were true...apparently he shook hands with our management but once Leeds came in for him, he went back on the handshake and signed a deal with them - I think that is quite unprofessional tbh, but can understand him wanting to join a club closer to him.

As I said on 6th September.
http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?19619-Hot-off-the-Press&p=377634&viewfull=1#post377634

Albion
1st February 2012, 20:20

I don't think we would have signed Laffranchi personally, there were a few Australian front rowers OOC and we would have assumed we had Griffin wrapped up, so that could be why we went for Laffranchi

fishy3005
1st February 2012, 20:30
i dont care who plays what position, griffin would of been good for us and been even better in a saints shirt. instead we got laffranchi who imo has every chance of being another josh perry. i warn you people this is a very dodgy season for us.
we've no jammer and we flog roby and wilkin for every penny. we have OAP ovcerseas players in perry, laffranchi meli tony p etc and a poor signing in lance hoihai. we have a good few mediocre players in lms foster flannery etc.
im telling you, a few injuries and a couple of flops and we will seriousley struggle this season

Herman
1st February 2012, 21:03
I personally think if we have a load of injuries. The youngsters regress and all the experienced players dont perform we will struggle.

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 09:38
i dont care who plays what position, griffin would of been good for us and been even better in a saints shirt. instead we got laffranchi who imo has every chance of being another josh perry. i warn you people this is a very dodgy season for us.
we've no jammer and we flog roby and wilkin for every penny. we have OAP ovcerseas players in perry, laffranchi meli tony p etc and a poor signing in lance hoihai. we have a good few mediocre players in lms foster flannery etc.
im telling you, a few injuries and a couple of flops and we will seriousley struggle this season

Really - your negativity before the season has even begun is quite astounding.

Laffranchi has every chance of being another Josh Perry - ok then, Josh Perry who suffered with injuries through all of last season who the more sensible amongst us would agree needs to be judged on this season rather than last. How often did you watch Laffranchi play last season or the season before? Or are you basing this opinion on a friendly? like any signing any club makes there is a chance they could be hit or miss but the tone of your post and recent posts suggests you'd prefer him to be miss just so you can say I told you so.You've also written Lance Hohaia off in your post again i'm guessing on no basis whatsoever.

I appreciate differing opinions if they have something to back them up or some semblance of sense but yours has neither and instead smacks of being deliberately defeatist just to give you the 'I told you so' option later on in the season.

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 09:40
I personally think if we have a load of injuries. The youngsters regress and all the experienced players dont perform we will struggle.

Exactly! ha

fishy3005
2nd February 2012, 10:12
Exactly! ha

anyone can jump on here as you do tss, over analysing every little aspect of the team the week after in an attempt to sound clever, being smart arse, without actually sticking your neck out with an opinion based solely on a gut feeling (as i have) for fear of being wrong.
i don't mind being wrong. i hope i am wrong. no need to be pi**y with someone who voices a view based on nothing more than a hunch. i expect us to struggle this season

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 10:22
anyone can jump on here as you do tss, over analysing every little aspect of the team the week after in an attempt to sound clever, being smart arse, without actually sticking your neck out with an opinion based solely on a gut feeling (as i have) for fear of being wrong.
i don't mind being wrong. i hope i am wrong. no need to be pi**y with someone who voices a view based on nothing more than a hunch. i expect us to struggle this season

Sorry mate but this isn't a gut feeling;

"we have OAP ovcerseas players in perry, laffranchi meli tony p etc and a poor signing in lance hoihai. we have a good few mediocre players in lms foster flannery etc"

You can't expect to come out with it and ot at least be questionned on it, it's not about being ••••••y as you say I just don't understand how you can be so negative about it, I mean I saw you put us down as finishing 7th or 8th I think it was in a nother thread.

fishy3005
2nd February 2012, 10:41
Sorry mate but this isn't a gut feeling;

"we have OAP ovcerseas players in perry, laffranchi meli tony p etc and a poor signing in lance hoihai. we have a good few mediocre players in lms foster flannery etc"

You can't expect to come out with it and ot at least be questionned on it, it's not about being ••••••y as you say I just don't understand how you can be so negative about it, I mean I saw you put us down as finishing 7th or 8th I think it was in a nother thread.

its just a feeling i have. in sport if you are not going forwards you paper over the cracks and stagnate for a while before you go backwards with a big bump. i expect this to be a very dodgy season for us. i have my reasons for thinking this.
royce (whilst a nice fella) isnt much of a coach imo. we have a few old men in the side and a good few average players who hide behind the few class players we have in the team. i dont rate perry, he's a pudding. laffranchi has played A LOT of nrl and is a very dodgy signing and i have never rated lance hoihai.
i expect at least 5 other teams to have a better 2012 than us

Gruntfuttock
2nd February 2012, 11:35
Hardly worth bothering then, wonder if ill get a refund on me season ticket ??? , blimey if ist not negativity about the stadium its about the team !! , we havent played a proper game yet , give em a chance , if it goes pear shaped then we will call you both gurus and listen to your every word , if not then we will accept your apologies

Sausalito
2nd February 2012, 12:02
its just a feeling i have. in sport if you are not going forwards you paper over the cracks and stagnate for a while before you go backwards with a big bump. i expect this to be a very dodgy season for us. i have my reasons for thinking this.
royce (whilst a nice fella) isnt much of a coach imo. we have a few old men in the side and a good few average players who hide behind the few class players we have in the team. i dont rate perry, he's a pudding. laffranchi has played A LOT of nrl and is a very dodgy signing and i have never rated lance hoihai.

Tell you what owd lad, you have certainly put me off going this season. Thanks for the warnings.

Just for the record Lafranchi played over 200 games in the NRL 5 times for Aus, 4 country of Origin and 4 times for NSW.
Like you say, he's not played a lot?

johnnyl
2nd February 2012, 12:09
Really - your negativity before the season has even begun is quite astounding.
n.

quite

no matter if you think we will win something or not its pretty obvious that we will at worst be a top 3 side and in the latter stages of each comp.

fishy3005
2nd February 2012, 12:13
Tell you what owd lad, you have certainly put me off going this season. Thanks for the warnings.

Just for the record Lafranchi played over 200 games in the NRL 5 times for Aus, 4 country of Origin and 4 times for NSW.
Like you say, he's not played a lot?

didn't i say that he had played a lot of rugby??
hey, don't let me put you off going. im usually wrong anyway. ive got my season ticket. im going regardless

The Wee Waa Womble
2nd February 2012, 12:38

So if we have a lot of injuries and all our players play badly we won't do well? State the ****ing obvious why don't you?

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 12:51
So if we have a lot of injuries and all our players play badly we won't do well? State the ****ing obvious why don't you?

To be fair I have a feeling that response was in reply to Fishys post - or at least that's what i'd hoped!

eddiewaringsflatcap
2nd February 2012, 13:20

What a load of codswallop. I don't think the side is perfect by any means, but this is a poor superleague:
Out of the 'contenders'

Warrington, have continued to get older,
Wigan look a decent bet
Leeds, same as Warrington, team of old men.

The rest

The Hull teams look the same as always - ready to underachieve and unable to fix the problems behind the scenes
Bradford, Wakefield, Widnes - all poor and full of mediocre overseas players
Salford, can't even beat Leigh
London - superleagues ghost team.
Cas and Huddersfiel - not enough quality for any sort of consistency

Only an imbecile would tip any of that dross to eclipse us and a top 4 is what we should aim for and achieve with ease. Its ok trying to come up with rent a quotes like 'if your not going forward etc' but this is a side thsat has a capable record and the means to carry on achieving in a substandard league.

Talk some sense!
2nd February 2012, 13:22
What a load of codswallop. I don't think the side is perfect by any means, but this is a poor superleague:
Out of the 'contenders'

Warrington, have continued to get older,
Wigan look a decent bet
Leeds, same as Warrington, team of old men.

The rest

The Hull teams look the same as always - ready to underachieve and unable to fix the problems behind the scenes
Bradford, Wakefield, Widnes - all poor and full of mediocre overseas players
Salford, can't even beat Leigh
London - superleagues ghost team.
Cas and Huddersfiel - not enough quality for any sort of consistency

Only an imbecile would tip any of that dross to eclipse us and a top 4 is what we should aim for and achieve with ease. Its ok trying to come up with rent a quotes like 'if your not going forward etc' but this is a side thsat has a capable record and the means to carry on achieving in a substandard league.

The funny thing here is you have missed out the one team I think could realistically break into the top 4 - Catalans

Harri81
2nd February 2012, 15:36

Out of interest what teams other than Wigan, Leeds and Warrington do you expect to do better than us?

lee.ashtonsaint
2nd February 2012, 18:27

I dont disagree, I thought last year we were lucky to finish where we did, dont get me wrong, we tried our best and put in some great performances (notably against wigan) but personally i think finishing where we did was as much about how crap the competition was last year. The good news is it doesnt look any better this year.

We are deffo light in the front row, royce stated his desire to sign another prop for this year and i can only think that lack of availability or our belief that we had an agreement with griffin stopped us doing so. Im sure contract improvements made available to younger players have used up most of the available cap since the griffin let down. Having less players to share the work could certainly take its toll on us, if we pick up injuries like last year it could affect things but overall i think we will have a similar season to last, a trophy would be a huge result.

Greengrass
2nd February 2012, 19:41
Darrell WHO

Saintokell1974
2nd February 2012, 20:15

Most of that IS obvious to my 6 year old daughter! The youngsters however, are more likely to be found out by the opposition easier after being unknowns when first given a chance, the experienced players need to do the 'Jammer work' in defence and attack and prove why they are there? Our kids coming through now will push them for their places. Time will tell this season with Perry, Laffranchi may have lots to prove and as for TP- his work rate in recent seasons should be repeated? My biggest fear is who plays at half backs and will they gel like Gaskell and JLo? I hope I'm right- lets get to Saturday and show what we've got!

C'mon You Saints!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishy3005
2nd February 2012, 20:29
Out of interest what teams other than Wigan, Leeds and Warrington do you expect to do better than us?

catalans, hull and maybe huddersfield

eddiewaringsflatcap
2nd February 2012, 20:31
catalans, hull and maybe huddersfield

What a load of shite you talk. How the hell you can back Hull with the age old formula of a failed coach in charge to finish above us is ridiculous. I am all for reality, but its a two way street. Usually I have to pull people up for over optimism, but your talking a load of bubbles, pal about the team being in doom and gloom. Hill will finish outside the top 8. Poor team.

johnnyl
2nd February 2012, 20:39
What a load of shite .

dont hold back son

Windle Lad
3rd February 2012, 01:12
dont hold back son

But a point well made! Some unfounded rubbish on here.

We will miss Graham - who wouldn't, but that's it. We can't miss Pryce as he never played. Missing a prop and another quality outside back wold be nice,other than that we don't look too bad and can't see past us and Warrington with wigan a possibility and catalans an outside bet.

Wigan would kill for any of our half-backs - if Tomkins gets injured they're in real trouble, unless Finch has finally learned how to beat a man! Too much pressure on Powell and Mellor neither have had any sort of game time at this level. They're going to spend most games tackling forwards who will be running at them for fun.

Can't write off leeds but would swap few (if any) of our players for theirs.

Huddersfield and Hull - don't make me laugh!