PDA

View Full Version : Town Centre pubs

coslettsboot
29th January 2012, 20:30
I see the local papers are reporting that town centre pubs takings were up 70/80 % for Saints first game at LP.
Can't help thinking that Saints miss out on a huge revenue stream here. If they provided good bars withe good service with decent beer at a reasonable price at the stadium on match days who wouldn't go there for a pre game drink ?
Why should the club line the pockets of town centre landlords instead of there own?
Why only open the ground bars on matchdays ,why not more often ,I would certainly drink there they were decent.
If they don't have in house expertise to do this ,there are enough pub landlords on the dole these days.
Even if they only provide cans at say 2 quid a throw they would make a killing pre match. Anyone who has ever been to Sam Platts on matchdays at Old Trafford can testify to that.
Lets give our beer money to the club where we all benefit from it.
Makes sense to me !!

paulscnthorpe
29th January 2012, 20:53
Re the last, I think the sports bar is open on none match days. Certainly open throughout the day

forward ref
29th January 2012, 21:05
The Founder's bar is open all day and does some food at lunch time.

garylager
30th January 2012, 12:10
I agree with having a couple of the bars on the concourses open after the match for a hour (hour and half) whilst people wait for the traffic to die down or to have a chat with other saints fans, with the club already having a license for the founders bar there won't be any reason why they can't do this (possibly security, staffing). It also gives them with kids a chance to have a pint cause none of the pubs and bars in town want kids in at 9:30 - 10pm. It's just an idea and gives the club more revenue.

Mr.Yat
30th January 2012, 12:15
I believe the town centre car parks ARE SHUTTING AT 10:15 so doesn't really leave a whole lot of time to dawdle after the game?

Geoggy
30th January 2012, 12:18
Founder bar is open day time - had a pint of Saints gold in there Saturday lunchtime after a visit to the shop.

The concourse bars were shut soon after half time - not sure of that is stadium safety regs or what.

They need to get the Founders bar sorted - there are some screens are up in there now, although not sure what for as they looked like 42 inch screens but sideways.

if they can sort the Founders bar service out so you can get a drink, and then put some entertainment on, other than a disco, e.g Q&A with a Saints legend, a classic game on screen etc then I would happily go there before every game.

Sean Day
30th January 2012, 12:48
They need to get the Founders bar sorted - there are some screens are up in there now, although not sure what for as they looked like 42 inch screens but sideways.

The screen are sideways because they are going to carry adverts in the top half and the game or whatever is on in the bottom half. They are all round the concourses now and also in the various hospitailty suites

zenith
30th January 2012, 13:04
How much is a pint of Saints Gold? I can not wait to try a pint of that!!!:):):):)

Ell Saint Blues
30th January 2012, 13:18
I believe the town centre car parks ARE SHUTTING AT 10:15 so doesn't really leave a whole lot of time to dawdle after the game?

You can only get locked into the multi storey (Chalon Way) and this will close at 11pm. (I park there every day)

Geoggy
30th January 2012, 13:38
How much is a pint of Saints Gold? I can not wait to try a pint of that!!!:):):):)

£3

warringtonsaint
30th January 2012, 14:55
They have to get the bars sorted for the Salford game, otherwise people will start to get into the habit of heading for town after the match rather than having a pint at LP.

It's not just after the game either - it was nigh on impossible to get a drink even before the friendly with Widnes.

The club could lose a very lucrative income stream if this isn't remedied.

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and another chance to allow me to spend my beer money at the ground for the Salford game - I accept (although don't agree with) that there may have been teething problems for the first game, but that cannot be an excuse going forward.

I'm afraid that if there is the same degree of hassle in getting a pint next time around, I'll be heading for town before and after the game for a beer.

Saint Bert
30th January 2012, 15:01
Thought long about replying to this as undoubtably someone will come on having a go, let's be objective.

I see the local papers are reporting that town centre pubs takings were up 70/80 % for Saints first game at LP.

I do believe that the only pubs mentioned were those owned by the national chains, some behined closed dorrs advertising maybe?

Can't help thinking that Saints miss out on a huge revenue stream here. If they provided good bars withe good service with decent beer at a reasonable price at the stadium on match days who wouldn't go there for a pre game drink ?

No arguments, however to provide those kind of services required to take the kind of numbers you are talking about is prohibative on a cost basis. I believe they have looked at what they can provide within the budget they have to provide the maximum income from each match day.

Why should the club line the pockets of town centre landlords instead of there own?

To be fair pal, most independants in town are looking towards Saints games to enure their survival, the days of tennents driving Jags and holidaying 4 times a year ended while I was still at school. Just hope plenty remember which pub took an interest in Saints for the last 7 years and not just the last 7 weeks ;-)

Why only open the ground bars on matchdays ,why not more often ,I would certainly drink there they were decent.

The cost of keeping a public house open is astronimical, the overheads would literally make your head spin if you saw them, that along with the ever changing legislation means that Saints have looked and decided that it would lose money by being open during the day midweek, afterall if the shop in the town centre was not viable to stay open with minimal rent on the unit in Church Square, what chance keeping a boozer on the go out of town during the day? I am sure if a profit could be had from being open the club would have it so, I know that they did carry out market research on all places around the town centre before deciding on their strategy.

If they don't have in house expertise to do this ,there are enough pub landlords on the dole these days.

There certainly are, see reasons above.

Even if they only provide cans at say 2 quid a throw they would make a killing pre match. Anyone who has ever been to Sam Platts on matchdays at Old Trafford can testify to that.

Platts is 1 of only 4 pubs within 2 miles of a 76,000 stadium that sells out every week, simple economics, supply - public demand. I am sure if there were 10 pubs that close Platt's can bar would not be so popular, let's be honest, most people go to Platts because they can't get in anywhere else and they buy cans at extortionate prices because they can't get served i the bar.

Makes sense to me !!

Your points did, but not everything is black and white, especially in business

forward ref
30th January 2012, 15:49
But the Saints bar (Founder's) is open during the day all week.

Saint Bert
30th January 2012, 16:18
But the Saints bar (Founder's) is open during the day all week.

Original question answered B)

somerset-saint
30th January 2012, 17:29
Makes sense to me !!

To be honest.... no matter how cheap it was in the stadium, I still would prefer to have a few round town....

Saint Bert
30th January 2012, 17:37
To be honest.... no matter how cheap it was in the stadium, I still would prefer to have a few round town....

I detect someone who may well be up for this years Ciderfest ;-)

Bluesaintdave
30th January 2012, 18:39

I paid £2.80 at the Widnes friendly but to be honest after all the hype I was disappointed. It's Robinson's creamflow and I'll have to have a throat like Osama's slippper before I consume another! Didn't they have pictures of CAMRA supping it at some beer fest or other in the Star? How could they?:???:

CHANNEL22
30th January 2012, 18:52
Going away from the Town Centre direction there doesn't seem many places to have a drink. I live 15 minutes walk away (Sutton Heath) and there is not one pub between my house and the ground, so the only option would be to have a drink at the ground.

DD
30th January 2012, 19:35
Founder bar is open day time - had a pint of Saints gold in there Saturday lunchtime after a visit to the shop.

The concourse bars were shut soon after half time - not sure of that is stadium safety regs or what.

if they can sort the Founders bar service out so you can get a drink, and then put some entertainment on, other than a disco, e.g Q&A with a Saints legend, a classic game on screen etc then I would happily go there before every game.

Some seats would be nice. It was like a packed version of the Dali Bar. In reality it's far too small a venue and very uncomfortable looking. I can't see many people who went in before the Widnes game going back. If it had been like the old Touchlines Bar or the one at Widnes then I'd have been up for it.

As it is, town is the future and that is anywhere but the two Wetherspoons' pubs where service is going to be a nightmare.

St Steve
30th January 2012, 19:40
Some seats would be nice. It was like a packed version of the Dali Bar. In reality it's far too small a venue and very uncomfortable looking. I can't see many people who went in before the Widnes game going back. If it had been like the old Touchlines Bar or the one at Widnes then I'd have been up for it.

As it is, town is the future and that is anywhere but the two Wetherspoons' pubs where service is going to be a nightmare.

Was I spoons before tge Widnes match and they had 8 staff on but it was 3 deep at the bar. I believe the other spoons had loads of staff with quick service

mattsdad
30th January 2012, 20:00
I paid £2.80 at the Widnes friendly but to be honest after all the hype I was disappointed. It's Robinson's creamflow and I'll have to have a throat like Osama's slippper before I consume another! Didn't they have pictures of CAMRA supping it at some beer fest or other in the Star? How could they?:???: They had it on cask as you would expect at the Rainhill Beer Festival,it tasted OK to me but the keg stuff tastes of nothing like all the other cream flow rubbish.

Bluesaintdave
30th January 2012, 20:49
You're right - nothing offensive in the taste, just nothing at all.
I'd been looking forward to the Saints Gold so much and would have been over the moon if it had even a reasonable flavour but...it looks like I'll be in the Turks after games.
Keeping it in perspective, it's not the end of the world.

RedVee Admin
30th January 2012, 20:52
The manger of Lloyds No1 - The Running Horses, is the son of one of my former work colleagues and I happened to be talking to him just after New Year - he said that his lad reckons the Running Horses is currently hitting weekly targets just on a weekend and it smashed the forecasted figures for the Christmas and New Year period. Apparently the Glass House is doing the same.

So frankly, they don't need Saints fans to patronise their establishments - likewise Saints who build their business around a rugby team, not a pub - no, it's the humble boozers still in existence that Saints fans should be making a point of visiting, where landlords struggle to survive thanks to the big boys, where fans visiting for a few before and after the match could literally make the difference between survival and extinction.

ploughman
31st January 2012, 07:34
The manger of Lloyds No1 - The Running Horses, is the son of one of my former work colleagues and I happened to be talking to him just after New Year - he said that his lad reckons the Running Horses is currently hitting weekly targets just on a weekend and it smashed the forecasted figures for the Christmas and New Year period. Apparently the Glass House is doing the same.

So frankly, they don't need Saints fans to patronise their establishments - likewise Saints who build their business around a rugby team, not a pub - no, it's the humble boozers still in existence that Saints fans should be making a point of visiting, where landlords struggle to survive thanks to the big boys, where fans visiting for a few before and after the match could literally make the difference between survival and extinction.

Fair comment.But it's not just pubs.All small retail outlets are being killed by supermarkets.It's a pity theres not a clamour to support those as well as the local pubs.But this subject as been done to deatjh on the other forum so i'll leave it there.Sorry to say it,but the days of the independant retailer,be it pubs,greengrocers,butchers etc are nearly over.People nowadays just go for convenience and familiarity

Geoggy
31st January 2012, 10:48

Or as a happy medium, buy beer in small independent pub pre match then enjoy a few scoops at the ground. Which is what I did for Widnes game. Landlords win, club wins.

And everything is good in the world...........

Saint Bert
31st January 2012, 10:51
Fair comment.But it's not just pubs.All small retail outlets are being killed by supermarkets.It's a pity theres not a clamour to support those as well as the local pubs.But this subject as been done to deatjh on the other forum so i'll leave it there.Sorry to say it,but the days of the independant retailer,be it pubs,greengrocers,butchers etc are nearly over.People nowadays just go for convenience and familiarity

I think more to do with price TBH. I think if a lot of people used smaller independants they would see for a big chunk of products, especially perishables, the extra few pence means better quality. This is certainly the case for butchers, bakers and greengrocers, and dare I say it pubs ;-) Then the familiarity comes in with wanting the quality matched to a routine.

I wonder how much the new tesco has seen an increase in trade? I used to go in there for items not available within the local shops ( or specific brands/products ), I haven't been to the new one.

Saint Bert
31st January 2012, 10:51
Or as a happy medium, buy beer in small independent pub pre match then enjoy a few scoops at the ground. Which is what I did for Widnes game. Landlords win, club wins.

And everything is good in the world...........

Perfect :-)

Geoggy
31st January 2012, 11:22
Re Tesco - every time I go in it is deserted and the "reduced" fridge is bulging with unsold goodies.

Was talking to a cabbie about it and he said they had the contract for the old Tesco and used to do over 100 jobs a day from there. They are doing about 30 from the new one.

Be interesting to see how Tesco lure sintelliners out of Asda and Mozzers. I did say this at the time the new store was announced - as the old Tesco store was never that busy.

RedVee Admin
31st January 2012, 12:00
I'm an Asda person. I rarely went to the old Tesco, I've not been to the new one. The only Tesco that I bother with is the Metro at Four Acre cos it's easy to get in and out of (until Asda build their equivalent on Clock face Road, that is...).

However I also go to the greengrocer at Fingerpost. As Saint Bert says, the produce is better, mainly as everything isn't pre-wrapped in plastic and chilled which basically kills the shelf life of fresh fruit and veg, yet the prices are the same or cheaper!

And although it's not local as such, I go to Prescot regularly and visit all the old traditional shops for fruit, veg, meats, bread, etc. Makes shopping more fun for the little 'uns too.

Londonsaints
31st January 2012, 15:43
They had it on cask as you would expect at the Rainhill Beer Festival,it tasted OK to me but the keg stuff tastes of nothing like all the other cream flow rubbish.

Yep - agreed. The keg stuff tasted like a watered down Boddingtons, if thats possible and still be called ale, and it only marginally had more flavour than a pint of knats water called Carlsberg.

Not the end of the world though - just wont be supping much at our great new home.

somerset-saint
31st January 2012, 15:52
I detect someone who may well be up for this years Ciderfest ;-)

ha ha lol.... I have had a sneaky look at it, I believe it will be occurring around the play offs

Saint Bert
31st January 2012, 17:28
ha ha lol.... I have had a sneaky look at it, I believe it will be occurring around the play offs

I haven't decided yet, last years was over challenge cup final weekend as we weren't there :-( Was a good one though with over 22 different types.

With the stadium being closer now, may look to a nice warm summer fixture to sell "the apple"

somerset-saint
31st January 2012, 17:38
I haven't decided yet, last years was over challenge cup final weekend as we weren't there :-( Was a good one though with over 22 different types.

With the stadium being closer now, may look to a nice warm summer fixture to sell "the apple"

I have seen a beer and cider festival for the weekend of the 20th sept..... but the tone of your post, I take it you are an organiser of another event ???

58er
31st January 2012, 18:15
£3
I also paid £2.80.
and have now been converted from being a lager drinker:razz:

Dynamite Don Brennan
31st January 2012, 19:37
I also paid £2.80.
and have now been converted from being a lager drinker:razz:

Yea I paid £2.80 and also enjoyed It.
Oh and was talking to the landlord of the Fly In The Loaf on Saturday and he said he was talking to Jennings if they could keg It for him and he was going to put It on as a guest beer. He has tried It and enjoyed It btw.