PDA

View Full Version : The Independant Newspaper

CHANNEL22
26th January 2012, 22:10
Have dumped their Rugby League reporter Dave Hadfield.

No link but reported by Gary Schofield on Twitter

lee.ashtonsaint
26th January 2012, 22:53
Typical.

geordie_saint
26th January 2012, 23:56
The national media is very biased against RL unfortunately and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Sausalito
27th January 2012, 00:34
When was he dumped?? cos he was still there Thursday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/rugby-league/league-defends-stobart-tieup-6294507.html

Jamie's Boots
27th January 2012, 08:58
When was he dumped?? cos he was still there Thursday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/rugby-league/league-defends-stobart-tieup-6294507.html
He's now used on a freelance basis, like Chris Irvine is at the Times.

KentishBarry
27th January 2012, 09:03
Perhaps he was phone hacking? ;)

Greg
27th January 2012, 09:04
Lets see how many reporters they have for the Six Nations?
That'll give you an indication of how bias they are. Stinks!

TW2 Saint
27th January 2012, 09:21
Loads......and your point is ?

Union is a global game, league isn't - end of.

Instead of moaning about it at every opportunity lets accept that it's the way it is and focus on making league better.

Greg
27th January 2012, 09:39
Loads......and your point is ?

Union is a global game, league isn't - end of.

Instead of moaning about it at every opportunity lets accept that it's the way it is and focus on making league better.

Accepting it just concedes to the fact. Forums like this need to get together and lobby the newspaper. Only news you get seems to be bad news. Point taken about making the game better and I do wonder how poor RL is at promoting itself when you witness some of the delayed communications coming out of Saints and other clubs. I do feel the Stobart sponsorship is a step in the right direction. Don't let your neighbours down there brow beat you into believing we're just a two bit northern game. It does exist in other parts of the country as well and in other countries. It needs promoting in the media and papers and losing Hadfield is a step in the wrong direction. I would like to know if it is a cost saving exercise then how many RU correspondents jobs have gone. If my moaning's legitimate I will continue to moan not roll over and accept it.

Red_V_Roger
27th January 2012, 10:08
The Indy is almost bust....

Div
27th January 2012, 10:26
How many people on here take the Independant daily >?

RedVee Admin
27th January 2012, 10:53
I once bought the I newspaper, actually it was twice.

Wild Bull
27th January 2012, 13:01
I've always liked Dave Hadfield's style - but his copy is invariably heavily edited. If has been "let go", I think that is regrettable. Just as galling, if you read The Grauniad online, is how, on their Sport Page, they list "Our writers"; they exclude a qualified journalist - Andy Wilson, but include someone called Shaun Edwards! A writer? I think Ricky Tomlinson would have a response to that!
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMJDP-G4gU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMJDP-G4gU)

stevenagesaint
27th January 2012, 13:05
This looks like it could be true after reading this http://www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/jobs/photographer-ashdown-latest-to-leave-independent/

Div
27th January 2012, 13:19

I think that is the problem.

As a means of communicating news its a bit of an oudated mode. With wall to wall news channels a paper is pretty much history as soon as it comes off the press.

I think most people would struggle to find the time to read a quality daily paper every day.

I love a good newspaper when I have time to sit down and read it which under normal circumstances is the odd weekend day ( although the weekend broadsheets have dramatically reduced in size in recent years). Its a bit of a luxury.

With sales dropping and presumambly advertising spend under pressure the sector is clearly struggling and they are offloading people wherever they can.

I must say I think the sister paper the concise ' I' is a decent buy at 20p.

headtackle
27th January 2012, 14:53
Am sure Dave Hadfield will resurface somewhere and carry on promoting our game

In the meantime on the positive, George Riley on 5 Live seems to promote League on a regular basis even if it is from a Rhinos perspective

Gray77
27th January 2012, 16:55
I think that is the problem.

As a means of communicating news its a bit of an oudated mode. With wall to wall news channels a paper is pretty much history as soon as it comes off the press.

I think most people would struggle to find the time to read a quality daily paper every day.

I love a good newspaper when I have time to sit down and read it which under normal circumstances is the odd weekend day ( although the weekend broadsheets have dramatically reduced in size in recent years). Its a bit of a luxury.

With sales dropping and presumambly advertising spend under pressure the sector is clearly struggling and they are offloading people wherever they can.

I must say I think the sister paper the concise ' I' is a decent buy at 20p.

I'm one of the lucky few who has a job where reading a quality newspaper everyday is actively encouraged of me. But even so I now read The Guardian on my ipad (perks of the job) for a tenner a month and don't buy a newspaper in actual paper form anymore. The Indy is dead on it's feet in current form, it has barely any readers and the ones the Indy media group have gained have been those buying the 'i'. I would imagine their RL coverage is pretty low on their list of priorities when they are cutting staff and trying to stay afloat as a quality £1 daily paper and I would be amazed if anybody actually bought it based on it's coverage of RL anyway. It's not great for the game, but for me the existence of a good newspaper like the Independent is more important than whether it has a resident RL reporter on the payroll. I imagine it'll go free in the long-run just the London Evening Standard (same owner) and try and make a profit with advertsising.

Saintokell1974
27th January 2012, 17:54

"i i"?

Sausalito
27th January 2012, 18:27
So he hasn't been dumped, he has been offered redundancy, along with others.

geordie_saint
27th January 2012, 18:39
Union is a global game,

Don't believe the hype! It's the national sport in two countries... Only football is truly a global game.

Shame about Hadfield, he's a good writer. 'Up and Over' is a great book!

Scouse Don
27th January 2012, 19:38
I'm one of the lucky few who has a job where reading a quality newspaper everyday is actively encouraged of me. But even so I now read The Guardian on my ipad (perks of the job) for a tenner a month and don't buy a newspaper in actual paper form anymore. The Indy is dead on it's feet in current form, it has barely any readers and the ones the Indy media group have gained have been those buying the 'i'. I would imagine their RL coverage is pretty low on their list of priorities when they are cutting staff and trying to stay afloat as a quality £1 daily paper and I would be amazed if anybody actually bought it based on it's coverage of RL anyway. It's not great for the game, but for me the existence of a good newspaper like the Independent is more important than whether it has a resident RL reporter on the payroll. I imagine it'll go free in the long-run just the London Evening Standard (same owner) and try and make a profit with advertsising.

Is the spelling better on an Ipad ?

Gray77
27th January 2012, 19:41
Is the spelling better on an Ipad ?

:grin: No mate, just as bad!

TW2 Saint
28th January 2012, 08:25
" Don't let your neighbours down there brow beat you into believing we're just a two bit northern game"

I don't let anyone browbeat me - the fact is that as a league devotee I have difficulty convincing myself that this is not the case.

"Union is not a global game"

Hmm, I wish we had their profile - and to believe otherwise is myopic in the extreme.

As I have said many times before, we are seen as a Mickey Mouse game outside the heartlands and the incompetence from the RFL doesnt help us change that. I just wish I knew what the answer was to change the perception of what to me is an infinitely superior product.

eddiewaringsflatcap
28th January 2012, 10:09
With regards to the Independent I think its a fine newspaper that often challenges prejudice and raises a lot of valid debate about topics people would conveniently prefer it not to, Tony Blair and Iraq being a classic case in point. its a shame Hadfield is now freelance. he is a fine (albeit a bit of of a bias pie at times) journalist who clearly loves the game. As TW says we are seen as little more than country bumpkins who are in no way the 'mainstream.'

Just 12 or so years ago journalists were espousing nonsense like the Rugby League is dead. Its too much to expect such attitudes to change in a relatively short space of time, but the RFL are singularly the biggest factor in all of this. They are incompetent in the every day running of the game, let alone forging healthy links with our media.

Which other sports body sells its competitions for free under the pretence of £2.5m advertising on a wagon. Pathetic. We may as well sell our rights to someone who owns a robin reliant with Paris, New York, Peckham on the side. That is the simple issue I am afraid. The absolutely ramshackle organisation that is the RFL.